Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Dec 2016, 10:42 (Ref:3693830)   #26
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
We were always told that you weren't a winner until you got into Sydney...
Not by me.

but yes it was a common thought pattern, apparently the series needed to be in sydney because of some corporate link.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 10:43 (Ref:3693831)   #27
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
The Pacific Ocean 1000?

Hope the teams are allocated plenty of wets.
woops, good call

I went back and edited
Old 5 Dec 2016, 10:43 (Ref:3693832)   #28
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Replace corporate with government.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 10:51 (Ref:3693833)   #29
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Not by me.
We were told by Tony though

He dedicated almost a decade of his term at the "top" trying to get the series in there
Old 5 Dec 2016, 10:55 (Ref:3693837)   #30
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
We were told by Tony though

He dedicated almost a decade of his term at the "top" trying to get the series in there
I know, hes gone, new owners disagreed with him i guess
Old 5 Dec 2016, 11:08 (Ref:3693840)   #31
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Getting it out of sydney is a winner
So Sydney which was apparently the solution and going to be a game changer for V8SC, was now the problem?

And Newcastle greatest strength that will ensure its success is that it isnt in Sydney?

How did that work out for Canberra?

Hope they have something stronger than this once the Auditor General comes knocking.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 11:11 (Ref:3693842)   #32
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
So Sydney which was apparently the solution and going to be a game changer for V8SC, was now the problem?

And Newcastle greatest strength that will ensure its success is that it isnt in Sydney?

Hope they have something stronger than this once the Auditor General comes knocking.
New owners

Works out ok for Adelaide and Gold Coast and Townsville. I reckon it will work out ok for Newcastle
Old 5 Dec 2016, 11:15 (Ref:3693844)   #33
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Works out ok for Adelaide and Gold Coast and Townsville. I reckon it will work out ok for Newcastle
That is fine but surely you see the irony of those comments around the Sydney event?

Anything in particular you are basing the success of Newcastle on?
Old 5 Dec 2016, 11:18 (Ref:3693847)   #34
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
That is fine but surely you see the irony of those comments around the Sydney event?

Anything in particular you are basing the success of Newcastle on?
Ive always said sydney is the problem, no irony at all. but yes TC had an opinion and IMO it was wrong. Then he left

I base it on im positive about supercars and you will base it on you are negative about supercars (not an attack, just the way it constantly is)
Old 5 Dec 2016, 11:22 (Ref:3693848)   #35
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They move the same product 2 hours west in October and its successful

Getting it out of sydney is a winner
Pecky you of all people should know that there is a huge difference between God's own country and some ahole of a concrete canyon at either the old abattoirs or the burbs of Hunter Valley earth tremor land.

2 hours west would place the event in Hartley or Lithgow at the best and the last motorsport venue they had was the 40 bends hillclimb utilising a disused section of the original Great Western Highway.

From snippets gleaned at abattoir alley over the weekend it appears that the locals are far from impressed with the new proposed track and the 'public consultation' process-I think that was what they called it.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 12:13 (Ref:3693863)   #36
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
I base it on im positive about supercars and you will base it on you are negative about supercars (not an attack, just the way it constantly is)
Yes but surely there is something behind that positiveness that fuels your confidence about newcastle.

No doubt you would have been positive about Homebush in 2009?
Old 5 Dec 2016, 12:15 (Ref:3693867)   #37
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I think the Newcastle track has shades of Townsville about it - and lets face it, if Townsville can make this work, Newcastle can make it work.

Talking of Canberra, I personally liked the circuit but whoever scheduled it in months where daytime temperatures are in the single digits had a major part to play in its lack of success.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 13:44 (Ref:3693885)   #38
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is it just me that thinks taking the grand final of a self proclaimed 'major sporting code' to a regional centre is a bit naff? I'm not opposed to giving the event a go, but the season finale isn't in the same area code of a capital city? Would the NRL/AFL take their grand final to Geelong or Wollongong? I dunno, seems a bit lame to me.
Old 5 Dec 2016, 23:44 (Ref:3694012)   #39
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Is it just me that thinks taking the grand final of a self proclaimed 'major sporting code' to a regional centre is a bit naff? I'm not opposed to giving the event a go, but the season finale isn't in the same area code of a capital city? Would the NRL/AFL take their grand final to Geelong or Wollongong? I dunno, seems a bit lame to me.
It's unusual to start the year in the 5th largest city in Australia, with Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane & Perth ahead of it...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 6 Dec 2016, 04:38 (Ref:3694072)   #40
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So is there a date and a final layout for this mythical event yet?
Old 6 Dec 2016, 06:20 (Ref:3694084)   #41
GtiMagic
Racer

GtiMagic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGtiMagic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Meanwhile a guy down the road is putting his head down and building a permanent circuit. Not long enough for V8 Supercars, but one wonders if he could have tacked on an extra km if a very small amount of the street circuit funding went his way instead.

http://www.circuititalia.com.au/news.php
Old 6 Dec 2016, 06:57 (Ref:3694089)   #42
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtiMagic View Post
Meanwhile a guy down the road is putting his head down and building a permanent circuit. Not long enough for V8 Supercars, but one wonders if he could have tacked on an extra km if a very small amount of the street circuit funding went his way instead.

http://www.circuititalia.com.au/news.php
Except that large events such as VASC are specifically what the "guy down the road" does not want, nor can the infrastructure around the track handle them and due to a number of factors, nor is the infrastructure capable of being upgraded to handle such large events. I was involved in that project early on and that is the position.
Old 6 Dec 2016, 07:17 (Ref:3694092)   #43
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I know, hes gone, new owners disagreed with him i guess
Was it any coincidence that Supercars seemed to effectively give up on Homebush after 2012 (that was the last concert, for example, until the small one held this year), about the same time Tony Cochrane departed the scene?
Old 6 Dec 2016, 07:20 (Ref:3694093)   #44
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
Was it any coincidence that Supercars seemed to effectively give up on Homebush after 2012 (that was the last concert, for example, until the small one held this year), about the same time Tony Cochrane departed the scene?
more too it than that. the contract also changed at the time as the government cheque got smaller
Old 6 Dec 2016, 07:38 (Ref:3694098)   #45
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Or did the government cheque get smaller as the crowds disapppeared? Chicken and egg...
Old 6 Dec 2016, 07:44 (Ref:3694099)   #46
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Or did the government cheque get smaller as the crowds disapppeared? Chicken and egg...
change of government too one who werent supportive when it was initially started
Old 6 Dec 2016, 07:50 (Ref:3694100)   #47
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Quote:
change of government too one who werent supportive when it was initially started
Yeah, its tough to fool the Libs with rubbery figues.

Can you fix your to/too/two issue? Your posts are tougher than usual to read.
Old 6 Dec 2016, 08:49 (Ref:3694111)   #48
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtiMagic View Post
Meanwhile a guy down the road is putting his head down and building a permanent circuit. Not long enough for V8 Supercars, but one wonders if he could have tacked on an extra km if a very small amount of the street circuit funding went his way instead. http://www.circuititalia.com.au/news.php
ROFL did you see the 2nd item in the news section? Opening sentence: "I would like to say it’s pleasing to see the NSW Government funding the Street Circuit for Supercars in Newcastle as this recognises both the large number of motorsport participants and fans in the Newcastle / Hunter Region and the need to support the sport."
Old 6 Dec 2016, 21:10 (Ref:3694300)   #49
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I hope the circuit isnt the one shown on Speedcafe, looking at Google Earth street view its barely two cars wide in places.
Perfect!!
Old 6 Dec 2016, 21:41 (Ref:3694306)   #50
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Canberra by the sea!