Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 25 Jan 2018, 18:09 (Ref:3795037)   #1676
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Risi will be going with Ben Keating to LM this year, but nothing more on their plans post-Daytona.
Old 25 Jan 2018, 18:12 (Ref:3795039)   #1677
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post

Dyson - Rich guy owned and funded team. Probably the biggest loss since as far as I know, they probably still have the funds to race, but have chosen not to. Of all the teams in the USA, Dyson is still "the" independent prototype team to me.

Brumos - Once Bob Snodgrass died, from what I heard, it was a struggle to keep the team running, since he was really the money behind and heart and soul of the Brumos dealership (outside of Hurley of course). This is just based on what I was told.

I think the loss of most of those teams= comes down to the lack of real sponsorship available these days. Any one of them, if they had the ability to secure proper sponsorship, would undoubtedly be racing this weekend.
Dyson seems very much to enjoy developing and going their own way, which in the era of spec racing in not done.

Brumous seems just to be for profit, and a racing program is bad for maximum profits.

It has to be a high wire act getting sponsorships, pay driver line up along with a paid pro, some level of support from a manufacturer.
Old 25 Jan 2018, 18:50 (Ref:3795052)   #1678
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
I remember being at VIR (would that have been 2013?) which was the first ALMS race after the upcoming merger was announced. I happened to be down in the paddock and walked past Rob Dyson right at the perfect moment. He was talking with someone else and as I walked by said pretty emphatically, "I'm not racing in that bulls*t series with those amateur teams (referring to Grand Am DP prototypes)".

And they never did...
Odd statement, considering they already had raced Grand Am DP prototypes. And not terribly well, at that.

I guess it's harder when there's more than 2-3 cars in the field, though.
Old 25 Jan 2018, 19:23 (Ref:3795062)   #1679
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGarcia View Post
Odd statement, considering they already had raced Grand Am DP prototypes. And not terribly well, at that.

Zing!

I always pulled for them, ever since my first PLM with the R&S Mk III? Then the Lolas, which I was quite fond of.

The DP was a Pontiac powered Crawford, I believe.
Old 25 Jan 2018, 19:36 (Ref:3795065)   #1680
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Dyson seems very much to enjoy developing and going their own way, which in the era of spec racing in not done.
That's a pretty good point. From his GTO Firebird to the GTP 962 and the R&S MKIII, they were very much a team looking to leave their own stamp on their equipment. I read something once that Dyson pushed for the R&S MkIII to be built so he could be different than the rest of the guys who were buying the 333SP.
Old 25 Jan 2018, 19:41 (Ref:3795066)   #1681
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
That's a pretty good point. From his GTO Firebird to the GTP 962 and the R&S MKIII, they were very much a team looking to leave their own stamp on their equipment. I read something once that Dyson pushed for the R&S MkIII to be built so he could be different than the rest of the guys who were buying the 333SP.
If I remember correctly, his aversion to the 333SP was because there would be limits on what they could tinker with.
Old 25 Jan 2018, 19:42 (Ref:3795068)   #1682
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:

Wasn't Dyson on the Board of Grand-Am?
Old 25 Jan 2018, 20:05 (Ref:3795075)   #1683
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Just to add to this, I got lucky and did media work at the Rolex 24 in 2006. Dyson was racing DPs. He was not nice about them when he talked about them, saying how terrible they were to drive. I asked another driver about that and the other drive (who had a more successful time that year) said "He's just upset because he sucks at driving them".

Very very harsh statement, but it seems that he didn't like the cars so hated on them whenever possible. No excuse now because they're gone!
Old 25 Jan 2018, 20:47 (Ref:3795089)   #1684
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
If I remember correctly, his aversion to the 333SP was because there would be limits on what they could tinker with.
Ah, no doubt.
Old 26 Jan 2018, 00:00 (Ref:3795148)   #1685
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think Rob has pretty much retired.

Chris is still playing around, he raced at the Chili Bowl last weekend.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 18:11 (Ref:3796673)   #1686
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
BMW says they weren't pleased with the BOP, yet seem to admit their car isn't running to its full potential at this stage:

Quote:
Marquardt said. “The car couldn’t show its true potential yet.

“That’s why BMW and IMSA will continue their productive and open talks and have agreed to find an appropriate BoP assessment for the upcoming events starting with Sebring, allowing the BMW M8 GTE to show its true performance for the benefit of the series, BMW and all of our fans.”
So i guess good for IMSA not to give them a brake because they haven't gotten their car sorted yet?

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/ma...w-m8-gtes-bop/
Old 29 Jan 2018, 19:23 (Ref:3796686)   #1687
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
They should have brought their own brakes, since they can be vehicle specific in some applications.

I would say when it comes time for a BMW race win anniversary some other date they should get a bop break.
Old 29 Jan 2018, 20:16 (Ref:3796695)   #1688
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
I would say when it comes time for a BMW race win anniversary some other date they should get a bop break.

Old 30 Jan 2018, 04:38 (Ref:3796772)   #1689
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post

Speaking of, it's about time for Porsche to be competitive again, I think. Ferrari would be if someone could run two full season. It's right around the 50th anniversary of the Ferrari ford battles at le mans so risk has been missing an opportunity.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 14:43 (Ref:3796886)   #1690
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Speaking of, it's about time for Porsche to be competitive again, I think. Ferrari would be if someone could run two full season. It's right around the 50th anniversary of the Ferrari ford battles at le mans so risk has been missing an opportunity.
Nah ... They replayed that in 2016 in GTLM .... Ford won again.
Old 30 Jan 2018, 14:59 (Ref:3796898)   #1691
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Nah ... They replayed that in 2016 in GTLM .... Ford won again.
They got the two overweight guys from ford and corvette and talked to them together during the race, so is it the ford vs Chevy plotline this year? Maybe so, out of fear some fureign manufacturer might challenge the cadillac in prototype?
Old 31 Jan 2018, 01:30 (Ref:3797034)   #1692
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
so is it the ford vs Chevy plotline this year?)
Remember last year's championship result?
Old 2 Feb 2018, 14:11 (Ref:3797736)   #1693
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
caution: long read!

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints...rsport-penalty
Old 2 Feb 2018, 14:33 (Ref:3797747)   #1694
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Read most of it at least. Sounds like the series will nip loopholes in the BOP rules in the bud not only after the race but during it. History has shown that it is only done after the event to prevent it for the future. So its a new precedent. Not sure if it is good or bad yet.
Old 2 Feb 2018, 14:35 (Ref:3797748)   #1695
MaskedRacer
Veteran

What do you think are going to be the deletions of entries from Daytona to Sebring? My guess is that there are going to be no additions. Grasser won't be there for sure. Others?
Old 2 Feb 2018, 16:31 (Ref:3797779)   #1696
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Both Jackie Chan cars and one of the UA Ligiers.
Old 2 Feb 2018, 17:20 (Ref:3797792)   #1697
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
What do you think are going to be the deletions of entries from Daytona to Sebring? My guess is that there are going to be no additions. Grasser won't be there for sure. Others?
I realize it's probably up to Audi Sport more than the team, but would anyone be shocked if Land disappeared?
Old 5 Feb 2018, 18:31 (Ref:3798773)   #1698
MaskedRacer
Veteran

I project we will lose these entries from Daytona to Sebring 1) Both Chan DC Jotas 2) One United car 3) Both Grasser lambos 4)Risi GTD car 5)AF Corsee/Dalla Lana car.

That is 7 by my count. Sebring would be 43 car grid in that case. Assuming no additions.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 19:14 (Ref:3798795)   #1699
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
A single Jackie Chen/DC-Jota car in prototype certainly isn't beyond any imagination, especially after their decent result at the Rolex.

And 1 or 2 surprise GTD entries (a Rolex victory could be very helpful for an additional Lambo for instance) aren't either.

My guess would be 45. Not bad.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 22:56 (Ref:3798848)   #1700
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Audi Sport customer racing boss Chris Reinke has suggested that IMSA adopt a minimum refueling time for GTD in response to Land's penalty at Daytona.