Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 2 Jul 2017, 21:50 (Ref:3748534)   #301
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
The difference with the Audi was it was in a spot where he couldn't really move out of the way if he wanted to without risking causing an accident. The Mercedes was hanging around until about 6 minutes to go hoping for a FCY to get back on the lead lap.

There's already little margin for error in the Esses, and we already saw this weekend it can take only one mistake and one can cause a big accident, not just because of little run off room in fast area of the track, but with no flag post heading into the Esses, trailing cars might not know of an accident until it's too late to do much about it.

Taylor's accident also showed how narrow the margin of error was when the tire got cut or the suspension collapsed. That could've been a lot worse than it was with the #90.

Basically, if Barbosa didn't time his move just right, not only could he have taken himself and the Audi out, but also Simpson due to him being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Simpson was a lot more conservative in traffic, but he didn't want to pull any excessive risks. Barbosa's passes were cool to watch, but he was IMO taking a big risk both times he made them. In this case, Simpson laying back cost him, while Barbosa's boldness was rewarded.
Old 3 Jul 2017, 00:27 (Ref:3748544)   #302
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have to agree with Chernaudi.

I was disappointed with Bleekemolen---he knows better. he could have gotten out of the way regardless of what the written rules might be. he knows what he would have wanted if he had been chasing the leaders.

The Audi/AXR battle--totally different. I think it is generally safer for the GT car to hold its line. If the Stevenson had moved the wrong way, or even just wiggled a little on initiating or finishing its move, the #5 could have been wrecked.

I am not a driver---I am only guessing. But I would guess that at that speed there is a certain amount of time you need to make a move safely 100 percent of the time, and if you don't have enough time--and if the closing car shows a willingness to push the limit himself---it is probably safer to let the faster guy do his thing.

I think the tires made a difference in that Stevenson couldn't hang close after losing the position---just as having warm tires made all the difference in Stevenson pulling off the initial overtake.

And yes, Barbosa did handle traffic better, IMO.

Basically that was some excellent racing ... some really talented drivers using their talents and their cars to the maximum extent without screwing up. In this case, one guy had a little more talent and a little better car--tires and torque--and that guy won.

This is why I watch the sport.
Old 3 Jul 2017, 02:34 (Ref:3748560)   #303
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
That was such a great race.

JDC were faster at the end than the AXR car, they just caught the traffic bad. Really wanted the Banana Boat to take it.

Just got home, this weekend was excellent.
Old 3 Jul 2017, 02:53 (Ref:3748561)   #304
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
...also, to certain people who think there aren't flaggers in the esses - there's 4 flagging stands between T1 and the start of the back straight. Here's a diagram showing all of the flagging stations and caution lights at the track.

Old 3 Jul 2017, 07:57 (Ref:3748576)   #305
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Didn't stop the pile up in the Porsche Cup race, mostly because most of the corners in the Esses are blind corners. Even with those flag stations there, it didn't help. They need one leading into the Esses, or the problem could be that (as indicated on the map) all Esses flag stations are under the control of station three.

Also, there's three stations around turn 3, but none between 3-4.
Old 3 Jul 2017, 08:38 (Ref:3748580)   #306
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Between stand 3 and 4, there is a blind corner and 3 was not showing the yellows because they couldn't see the accident.
Old 3 Jul 2017, 09:15 (Ref:3748585)   #307
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
So basically the corners are blind not only to competitors, but also to track workers? Not a very good combination. Not to mention that in the Esses drivers tend to be more concerned with keeping it out of the barriers than what the corner workers might be doing.

I wonder if teams also employing spotters to warn of hazards in the Esses could help?
Old 4 Jul 2017, 02:21 (Ref:3748741)   #308
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What a great race ! thanks to FOX3 that broadcasted 6 hrs non stop without any cut.

My thoughts about the race:

- The BoP has looked ok this time. Maybe the Caddies has been a bit slow on a single lap but the stints were really good. The Nissans showed their speed when were on the right hands. Both Oreca and Liger has been really fast.

- The Nissans showed that the car has been developed and soon it will need a BoP adjustment. The biggest problem was the drivers (not Derani of corse) and the bad luck.

- I think the Ligier was configured with the less downforce possible, and Pla was able to fly, while Gutierrez look he has been suffering that setup because the lap's time difference was huge.

- This is the Taylor brothers year for sure, with or without problems, those guys always land on the right foot.

- How incredible bad is the Riley chassis. There is a big difference with the development of the Mazda. This car, was really really fast on the hands of Bomarito on the last laps when he felt the pressure from Pla, and it showed it could go fast.

- The end of the race was more experience than car performance, and Barbosa showed his cold blood in the right moment. It was great to see Simpson take the leadership.
Old 6 Jul 2017, 17:17 (Ref:3749313)   #309
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Race thoughts:

1. When the WTR Caddy crashed on lap 1, I knew this race would be different. But I did not expect the Whelen car and both Nissans to hit trouble too.

2. I actually thought for a few minutes that the JDC car would win this. Great for the ex-LMPC teams for showing up well at the Watkins Glen race. Getting out of that category was the right move.

3. Glad to see BMW finally win. It was well deserved. They got lucky in that last full course yellow. But they were the best on the day. Only the #67 Ford was close.

4. Porsche has problems in the final hour of an endurance race AGAIN!!!! They can't close the deal.

5. Surprisingly it was the Corvettes and the 66 Ford too that faded at the finish.

6. Acura has displaced Mercedes as the big man on campus in GTD. But the Scuderia Corse Ferrari is always there to challenge. I expect them to win very soon.

7. Porsches in GTD starting to get left behind I think.
Old 9 Jul 2017, 01:51 (Ref:3749694)   #310
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are Porsches in GTD?