Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 4 Feb 2008, 10:26 (Ref:2120361)   #1
spookyt_de
Rookie

MagnetON
near Chemnitz, Germany
spookyt_de should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VW to have an axe to grind?

Reading motorsport-total.com I found something interesting:

Quote:
Die Formel 1 ist auf Jahre kein Thema, dafür hat Hans-Joachim Stuck mit Volkswagen andere Pläne. Als Motorsportberater des Gesamtkonzerns mit insgesamt sieben Automarken entwickelt der ehemalige Formel-1-Rennfahrer ein Konzept für eine weltweite Tourenwagenserie: "Es steht zu 70 Prozent", sagte Stuck.
Details seines Plans will Stuck noch nicht nennen, nur so viel, dass sich nach seinen Vorstellungen möglichst bis zu 19 Hersteller beteiligen. Es soll nicht irgendeine Serie werden, sondern einen Trend setzen: "Es sollen alternative und rückführbare Energien verwendet werden.
For non germans the article states Stuck is preparing concept for a world wide touring car series using alternative energy. So nothing confirmed, but seems to be parallel to WTCC...
Old 5 Feb 2008, 13:36 (Ref:2121627)   #2
SEATFreak
Racer

Spain
SEATFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who can ever know if VW has an axe to grind and quite possibly has planned this series as a reaction to the bureau putting limitations on different asspects of the TDi engine by SEAT, one of their manufacurers?

I don't like to entertain that idea as a reason for this new touring car series. Makes a bad situation even worse. People don't think too highly of SEAT enough without the parent group (VW) doing something to inflame emotions.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 16:57 (Ref:2121756)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Can you give the link to the article?

19 manufacturers? I don't see this happen.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 17:00 (Ref:2121764)   #4
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read that a few weeks ago, but i had the impression that he meant there were 19 manufacturers who have cars suitable for the series.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 17:06 (Ref:2121770)   #5
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flor
I read that a few weeks ago, but i had the impression that he meant there were 19 manufacturers who have cars suitable for the series.
Thats more logical. But a suitable car makes not a car on the grid (see S2000/DTM/TC2000).
Old 5 Feb 2008, 17:18 (Ref:2121780)   #6
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, there are plenty of cars that are suitable for S2000 but the makes aren't in it (Renault Clio and Laguna, the new Rowes or whatever they are called, VW Golf, some FIATs, Ford Focus and those Chinese things).
Old 6 Feb 2008, 07:27 (Ref:2122186)   #7
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a rebel set of regulations designed to destablise the establishment....sounds like Procar vs Group A.....
Old 6 Feb 2008, 11:53 (Ref:2122379)   #8
spookyt_de
Rookie

MagnetON
near Chemnitz, Germany
spookyt_de should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Article link: http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/n..._08020305.html

In the article Stuck says that his idea is that up to 19 manufactors participate.
Anyways I dont see this happen, also I dont see the need for such a series either - just to come to the fore.
Old 6 Feb 2008, 17:00 (Ref:2122578)   #9
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to Autosport.nl this rumoured concept would involve rules similar to the old SuperTouring rules. What their source for this is I wouldn't know, but if thats the case I'll cheer my ass of!
Old 6 Feb 2008, 17:24 (Ref:2122594)   #10
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
19 manufacturers? I don't see this happen.
Yeah. Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, SEAT, Škoda and Volkswagen equals seven makes only.... maybe they will enter some cars as Auto Union, DKW, Horch, Wanderer and NSU to add five more "manufacturers" But where do the rest seven come from?
Old 6 Feb 2008, 18:40 (Ref:2122658)   #11
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Meh, It's a silly idea and will dilute touring car racing. If VW want their brand to appear, enter the Golf in to the WTCC.
Old 6 Feb 2008, 19:05 (Ref:2122672)   #12
Rene de Boer
Rookie

Netherlands
Niederrhein, Germany
Rene de Boer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
According to Autosport.nl this rumoured concept would involve rules similar to the old SuperTouring rules. What their source for this is I wouldn't know, but if thats the case I'll cheer my ass of!
Sorry, but that is not what I wrote, though I would like it to be the case probably just as much as you do. I just wrote that "the days of Super Touring, with the involvement of a lot of manufacturers could be revived by this new concept", the reference to Super Touring only being the number of manufacturers involved, nothing else.

I started as a motor racing journalist in the glory days of Super Touring, the early 1990s, and I have fond memories of frequent visits to the BTCC, the German STW (which I had the pleasure of covering in full for Autosport Magazine), Italian Superturismo, Belgian Procar and even once Spanish Super Touring. I still have many photos from that era and every now and then, I pull out one of these binders and remember how nice it all was. And then I realise I am getting old, but that is a different story...
Old 6 Feb 2008, 20:27 (Ref:2122737)   #13
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Could it be 19 individual car builders rather than true manufacturers? 19 teams would make a pretty good grid with 2 car teams, or am I just wishful thinking about how many cars the tracks can accommodate?
Old 6 Feb 2008, 20:28 (Ref:2122738)   #14
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
If VW want their brand to appear, enter the Golf in to the WTCC.
Something like this?
Old 6 Feb 2008, 21:25 (Ref:2122785)   #15
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Single make tubeframe cars with manufacturers supplying only engine and body?
Old 6 Feb 2008, 22:29 (Ref:2122847)   #16
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene de Boer
Sorry, but that is not what I wrote, though I would like it to be the case probably just as much as you do. I just wrote that "the days of Super Touring, with the involvement of a lot of manufacturers could be revived by this new concept", the reference to Super Touring only being the number of manufacturers involved, nothing else.

I started as a motor racing journalist in the glory days of Super Touring, the early 1990s, and I have fond memories of frequent visits to the BTCC, the German STW (which I had the pleasure of covering in full for Autosport Magazine), Italian Superturismo, Belgian Procar and even once Spanish Super Touring. I still have many photos from that era and every now and then, I pull out one of these binders and remember how nice it all was. And then I realise I am getting old, but that is a different story...
Sorry, wishfull thinking took over proper reading then! I stand corrected
Old 7 Feb 2008, 10:14 (Ref:2123124)   #17
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Single make tubeframe cars with manufacturers supplying only engine and body?
Now where have I heard that before?
Old 7 Feb 2008, 17:20 (Ref:2123378)   #18
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Let's put it this way - we need less series, not more. With its current health, the best thing for the sport would be DTM to die, and the current teams in it join Procar. A single set of technical regulations for major series is needed, and we have that pretty much as far as possible with Super 2000. It isn't even remotely broke, it needs no fixing whatever.
Old 7 Feb 2008, 18:40 (Ref:2123413)   #19
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
Now where have I heard that before?
DTM 2009...
Old 1 May 2008, 17:38 (Ref:2192038)   #20
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Any news?
Old 1 May 2008, 17:45 (Ref:2192041)   #21
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Sounds like common sense (like natural selection, but for ideas) has done it's job.
Old 1 May 2008, 22:46 (Ref:2192211)   #22
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Meh, It's a silly idea and will dilute touring car racing. If VW want their brand to appear, enter the Golf in to the WTCC.
Nah, Enter the Scirocco instead, it looks awesome, although not as awesome as the originals.