Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 20 Oct 2010, 00:29 (Ref:2777303)   #76
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Belated news again, the new FPV V8 models GS/GS ute/GT/GT-P/GT-E have been released with a supercharged version of the Mustang 5.0 engine which ahs been developed and is being assembled in Australia, a $35m program. 315kW/450hp for the base GS, 335kW for the rest. The current issue of Wheels magazine has a comparison of the GT-P with its main competitors, the FPV F6 and HSV GTS, and came out ahead.

The main point though is that the current model is very much an initial version, there should be a lot more to come. With the wick turned up on the supercharger (currently running under 0.4bar boost), a new model & more interior/tech features in line with global Fords and some refinement of the handling this has the the potential to be a seriously world-class sports sedan.

The link attached also has a good video of V8Supercar driver James Courtney turning some laps ahead of the recent 1000km race.

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...005-165bz.html
Old 27 Dec 2010, 07:06 (Ref:2808710)   #77
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Ford have made there mind up on the next Falcon and are preparing the general populis for the fact it will be FWD. That being the case will it mean the end of FPV?
Old 22 Jul 2012, 13:40 (Ref:3109734)   #78
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A year and bit later things are looking a little grim...
Old 23 Jul 2012, 02:01 (Ref:3110122)   #79
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I think what it comes down to is the current car dates back almost 15 years. The BA was an upgrade of the AU, BF upgrade of the BA. The FG still owed a lot to the previous BF.

So if the Falcon is going to survive, it needs a total redesign, a global reach for sales and some good marketing and support of the product.
Old 23 Jul 2012, 03:05 (Ref:3110127)   #80
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I think the lack of marketing has been a big cause of the downturn.
The article keeps referring to the Falcon as a big guzzler, which it is not.
The LPG Falcon would be cheaper to run than most 4 cylinder vehicles, yet people continue to downsize for economic reasons.
The LPG six and the ecoboost 4 have received precious little advertising.
Commodore sales are down 27% compared to last year, the same as the Falcon by the way. It is just that they are at a higher volume and have an export program.
The territory is the #2 selling SUV so it has done alright after the diesel finally came on stream.
However I fully agree that there is no future for the Falcon and maybe even the Taurus will not have a future in Australia, Ford could abandon that segment altogether ?
Old 23 Jul 2012, 12:02 (Ref:3110280)   #81
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juarez Jed View Post
However I fully agree that there is no future for the Falcon and maybe even the Taurus will not have a future in Australia, Ford could abandon that segment altogether ?
I doubt that will happen, the Falcon nor the Taurus will ever be sold in Europe, but I think they would like to keep something in the segment.

Just a thought. With the new Mustang coming along, Ford could give the Australian division the chance to develop a four door version to make up for the Falcon?
Old 24 Jul 2012, 03:42 (Ref:3110612)   #82
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
I doubt that will happen, the Falcon nor the Taurus will ever be sold in Europe, but I think they would like to keep something in the segment.

Just a thought. With the new Mustang coming along, Ford could give the Australian division the chance to develop a four door version to make up for the Falcon?
Ford has already said with that new Mustang platform coming along, they are going to do a 4 door sedan rear wheel drive car to meet a lower price point to pick up where the Ford Crown Victoria left off.

Ford's plan was to use the Taurus to pick up the cop and taxi market and that hasn't exactly been popular.

Sounds like it will be an American developed car, so probably if Australia still wants the Falcon, they will have to Australianize that car for themselves.

Anything is possible, but I'm not sure Ford is going to let Ford Australia design and produce an all new Falcon on their own.
Old 25 Jul 2012, 01:42 (Ref:3111054)   #83
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juarez Jed View Post
Personally I think the lack of marketing has been a big cause of the downturn.
The article keeps referring to the Falcon as a big guzzler, which it is not.
The LPG Falcon would be cheaper to run than most 4 cylinder vehicles, yet people continue to downsize for economic reasons.
The LPG six and the ecoboost 4 have received precious little advertising.
Commodore sales are down 27% compared to last year, the same as the Falcon by the way. It is just that they are at a higher volume and have an export program.
However the Falcon is coming off a 65 percent loss the previous year also.
Old 30 Jul 2012, 21:40 (Ref:3113979)   #84
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
Apparently Ford of Australia is shutting in 2016.
Plus some more reading.
Old 9 Aug 2012, 00:51 (Ref:3117763)   #85
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Well I think what it comes down to is the current car dates back almost 15 years. The BA was an upgrade of the AU, BF upgrade of the BA. The FG still owed a lot to the previous BF.

So if the Falcon is going to survive, it needs a total redesign, a global reach for sales and some good marketing and support of the product.
You've got it right here mountainstar, "global reach" is what the Australian Ford products need, they are trying to do business with their hands tied behind their backs!
The Falcon would have had good appeal in many markets, it is a good car for its price!