Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 3 Mar 2015, 13:29 (Ref:3511149)   #1
YWW730
Rookie

YWW730 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LED globes

I want to run LED globes to keep power consumption down on a race car. I do not care how effective they are except for brake lights, indicators/ hazards and high beam flashers which I'd like to have functioning properly and reliably for safety reasons. Any recommended sources for reliable LED globes? Should I get coloured LEDs or white for the rear? Eg. yellow LEDs for indicators, red for brakes? LED H1 for headlights and possibly HID for high beam/flashers?

Maybe these: Link
Old 3 Mar 2015, 21:19 (Ref:3511326)   #2
Adamw
Rookie

Adamw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As yet there are no good retrofit LED head lamps (not if you actually want to drive in the dark).
Retrofit HID for highbeams or flash are also not much use since they take some time to "warm up" and output useful light.
For the indicators or brake lights, yes you could go to LED but I personally don't see much merit in it. Brake lights you will save about 40W but only for the length of time your foot is on the brake pedal.
You haven't mentioned what sort of racing you are talking about but how often are the indicators used?
Old 3 Mar 2015, 21:29 (Ref:3511333)   #3
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamw View Post
As yet there are no good retrofit LED head lamps (not if you actually want to drive in the dark).
Lies.
Quote:
Retrofit HID for highbeams or flash are also not much use since they take some time to "warm up" and output useful light.
Leave the HID on, switch to click off, not on.
Quote:
For the indicators or brake lights, yes you could go to LED but I personally don't see much merit in it. Brake lights you will save about 40W but only for the length of time your foot is on the brake pedal.
unless the lights are on.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 3 Mar 2015, 21:54 (Ref:3511352)   #4
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Lies. ........
a little blunt, and light on evidence too. Could you possibly be a little more helpful old chap?
Old 4 Mar 2015, 01:34 (Ref:3511435)   #5
YWW730
Rookie

YWW730 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamw View Post
As yet there are no good retrofit LED head lamps
don't rightly care. never race at night or in the dark. all I need is to satisfy scrutineering. Replacement headlight leds I have seen look like they working when you turn them on ie headlight bowl are illuminated but don't really project any usable light.
I hear what you say about hid flashers.

main thoughts are low power lights + thinner gauge wiring + small light alternator = good thing in light low powered car