Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 9 May 2008, 13:10 (Ref:2197592)   #1
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67238

Seat got slapped with the slow-down-stick. Wouldn't mind if they had waited with that untill after Valencia, as I truely believe that the field is nice and equalled at the moment and that Valencia would have proven that point.
Old 9 May 2008, 16:57 (Ref:2197710)   #2
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Good, I want them to keep restricting them until they become thouroughly uncompetitive. Get those damn diesels out of motorsports.
Old 9 May 2008, 17:28 (Ref:2197726)   #3
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67238

Seat got slapped with the slow-down-stick. Wouldn't mind if they had waited with that untill after Valencia, as I truely believe that the field is nice and equalled at the moment and that Valencia would have proven that point.
Exactly. More abrupt action from the FIA equalisation board.
Old 9 May 2008, 17:31 (Ref:2197729)   #4
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Good, I want them to keep restricting them until they become thouroughly uncompetitive. Get those damn diesels out of motorsports.
It's amazing how childish people can get over a little bit of diesel action...
Old 9 May 2008, 17:42 (Ref:2197737)   #5
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is this a WTCC specific rule, or is at a change to the S2000 regs?

If so, what are the implifications to BTCC and other series'?
Old 9 May 2008, 17:45 (Ref:2197738)   #6
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
It's amazing how childish people can get over a little bit of diesel action...
Not childish, I HATE diesels, always have, always will. They don't make any noise!
Old 9 May 2008, 17:48 (Ref:2197743)   #7
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I agree on that it's a bit weird to change things right before the first race where cars should be on an equal footing. That said, at the end of the day it might be a fair restriction, since the TDIs do have an advantage down long straights which is traditionally the best place for overtaking.
Old 9 May 2008, 18:01 (Ref:2197756)   #8
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil
I agree on that it's a bit weird to change things right before the first race where cars should be on an equal footing. That said, at the end of the day it might be a fair restriction, since the TDIs do have an advantage down long straights which is traditionally the best place for overtaking.
But are at a disadvantage in the corners. But I don't see BMW getting a restriction on their steering rack.
Old 9 May 2008, 18:01 (Ref:2197757)   #9
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm
Is this a WTCC specific rule, or is at a change to the S2000 regs?

If so, what are the implifications to BTCC and other series'?
WTCC specific only.

I think it's too early in the season to be adopted by the BTCC. The diesel SEATs haven't been anywhere near as dominant in BTCC as they have been in WTCC. If that changes dramatically I personally don't think TOCA will adopt the change.
Old 9 May 2008, 18:26 (Ref:2197776)   #10
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think a slight change to the minimum weight would have been a better move, just add 15Kg to the base weight would have been better in my opinion.
Old 9 May 2008, 19:01 (Ref:2197796)   #11
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Not sure more weight would be fair. The TDIs already weigh more and have to babysit their tires + have longer break zone. Even more weigth would just add even more of a disadvantage to what they already have in these areas. A reasonable (which I hope it is) rev limit is a more pin point accurate max straight line speed nerfing. And the old 8500 rev/min... that is not a limit for a diesel which typically runs at much less.
Old 9 May 2008, 19:29 (Ref:2197815)   #12
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Agreed with stedevil there. I think that if any action had to be taken this would have been the appropriate one. Now I just hope it will work out nicely in Valencia so they won't touch it anymore for the rest of the season.
Old 9 May 2008, 21:53 (Ref:2197885)   #13
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
All the diesel power is at the low end anyway, does anyone know how high the TDi's actually revved to in the previous races?
Old 9 May 2008, 22:53 (Ref:2197914)   #14
trebor901
Racer

trebor901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the TDi Seat Leon's only revved to about 4800 rpm before anyway so its only a 700rpm difference. But i have to say i think they should try to develop a diesel engine without having to use a turbo.
Old 9 May 2008, 22:54 (Ref:2197915)   #15
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
But are at a disadvantage in the corners. But I don't see BMW getting a restriction on their steering rack.
Steering rack restriction... that's a great idea...

I've given my opinion on this before. The FIA are a bunch of faffing idiots who try to run an equalization forumla instead of writing a proper set of rules. I saw Zanardi got some weight lifted out too, specifically because of his handicap. Has this been properly investigated? If so, why hasn't this been adressed until 2008, when he started racing fulltime in 2004 (and had already done an event in 2003), during which time he still managed get a number of podiums? Has this weight break actually been introduced because he's been quite poor lately and WTCC doesn't want to loose such a star?

As for the SEAT's... They'll have both the rev limit and all the weight they gained in Mexico... Not looking good is it? Although I'm sure the FIA will find some way to equalize it back!
Old 9 May 2008, 23:26 (Ref:2197930)   #16
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor901
But i have to say i think they should try to develop a diesel engine without having to use a turbo.
How would that be relevant to anything? NA diesels have all but disappeared.
I have to brush up on my regulations a bit...are petrol turbos allowed? If not, they should be (obviously not 2 litres, maybe 1.6)
Old 10 May 2008, 08:23 (Ref:2198068)   #17
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
I saw Zanardi got some weight lifted out too, specifically because of his handicap. Has this been properly investigated? If so, why hasn't this been adressed until 2008, when he started racing fulltime in 2004 (and had already done an event in 2003), during which time he still managed get a number of podiums? Has this weight break actually been introduced because he's been quite poor lately and WTCC doesn't want to loose such a star?
It's not the first time there's been a Zanardi-specific rule. I forget the exact figures but for the first few years his car was allowed to be something like 25kg lighter. The official reason was to compensate for the added weight / complexity of his hand-control system. The weight dispensation was dropped after all his podium finishes.
Old 10 May 2008, 08:45 (Ref:2198082)   #18
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor901
But i have to say i think they should try to develop a diesel engine without having to use a turbo.
Then you get a traktor, not a racing car...
Naturally aspirated diesels just can't rev up anywhere close to quick enough. A key reason here is the naturally lower revving property of a Diesel.

But sure, if you also limit petrol engines to 4100 revs, so they cant suck air quick either, then you might be on par... it however will be sucky and uninteresting racing for sure.
Old 10 May 2008, 09:01 (Ref:2198087)   #19
Ellmau
Racer

Ellmau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IIRC Zanardi received a weight benefit last year as well.
Old 10 May 2008, 10:56 (Ref:2198148)   #20
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Such a shame with the diesel cars making next to no noise.

I happen to think that the interior BMW sounds are fantastic, something which you dont get from a TDi, its just *nothingness*...

Tags
wtcc