Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

View Poll Results: "NEW" Bristol
New track configuration has improved the show 3 25.00%
New track configuration hasn't changed the show 1 8.33%
New track configuration is the worst thing they could have ever done to the place 5 41.67%
They should have never replaced the asphalt for concrete 3 25.00%
They never should have built the place and it needs to be bulldozed 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 Mar 2012, 00:00 (Ref:3046290)   #26
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Rustyfan, that would be a good discussion, but as you said, for another thread. I didn't really intned for my remark to garner that much of a response. It was mainly to highlight the different responses Bruton has had to two different matters.

Going back to something mentioned in the article, I wonder if making the Bristol night race part of the Chase would bring some of that spice back to their second race each year.
Old 23 Mar 2012, 01:39 (Ref:3046912)   #27
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Latest word is that fan polling is running about 75% in favor of changing the track back to how it was before 2007, so that's encouraging.

Also, to the fellow saying the fans just want the racing like it was in 1995, yeah, I think so, but with one minor change; they don't want the penalties for contact when somebody gets spun out.
Old 29 Mar 2012, 01:44 (Ref:3050279)   #28
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's official, Bruton Smith is bringing in the 'dozers. Question is, just exactly what will he do?
Quote:
Bruton Smith is taking the bulldozer to Bristol Motor Speedway -- but exactly what changes he'll make to the world's fastest half-mile are yet to be seen.
Source: http://www.nascar.com/news/120328/br...ing/index.html

Brad Keselowski, winner of the last two races, isn't happy but Kevin Harvick doesn't seem to mind:
Quote:
"I enjoyed the old Bristol. I like that rough-and-tumble type of racing," Harvick said. "I know a lot of the car owners and some of the drivers don't like that style of racing. That's what made Bristol what it was. People don't want to watch cars ride around with no donuts on the doors, and no caved-in fenders at Bristol. They don't want to see a 200-lap, 150-lap green-flag run. That's not what they come to Bristol for, and that's why they quit coming."
Well put Mr. Harvick
Old 29 Mar 2012, 12:01 (Ref:3050385)   #29
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
It's official, Bruton Smith is bringing in the 'dozers. Question is, just exactly what will he do?

Source: http://www.nascar.com/news/120328/br...ing/index.html

Brad Keselowski, winner of the last two races, isn't happy but Kevin Harvick doesn't seem to mind:

Well put Mr. Harvick
Good for Bristol, but good question, indeed; what is going on in Bruton's head? Hopefully, they will do their best to put it back to the way it was. Unfortunately, it won't ever be the exact same.

I am sure Brad is tweeting his displeasure as we speak.

And I don't say it often, but I do agree with KH.
Old 29 Mar 2012, 14:54 (Ref:3050453)   #30
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
They have said that they have detailed measurements for both iterations of the track in their computers, so in theory, they can put it back as close as is humanly possible to the former configuration.

On a side note, I have to chuckle about the "world's fastest half-mile" line. I think Sprint Cup cars would be just as fast, or even a bit faster, if they ever went to Winchester or Salem, Indiana. I'm not sure about the exact banking at Salem, but it's pretty steep whatever it is; the corners at Winchester are 37 degrees.
Old 29 Mar 2012, 17:09 (Ref:3050520)   #31
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
They have said that they have detailed measurements for both iterations of the track in their computers, so in theory, they can put it back as close as is humanly possible to the former configuration.

On a side note, I have to chuckle about the "world's fastest half-mile" line. I think Sprint Cup cars would be just as fast, or even a bit faster, if they ever went to Winchester or Salem, Indiana. I'm not sure about the exact banking at Salem, but it's pretty steep whatever it is; the corners at Winchester are 37 degrees.
"As humanly possible" are the key terms. We'll see. I am positive on this move.

Funny you mention sprint cup cars and other tracks; I saw the ARCA Series at Lanier Speedway a few years back when they were still pretty much Cup cars and they were actually slower than the local late models because of power and weight. The locals had less power and would go down the straights slower but could brake later and get through turns quicker, according to the local "legend" we chatted with during the event. There was a lot of adult beverages involved on both sides, so take it with a "grain".

BTW, it was Salem I was thinking of. AWESOME track.