Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 Aug 2017, 19:59 (Ref:3759031)   #601
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Electric rallycross and electric karting are great ideas.

Back to touring car racing, my view is that the World Championship era is sadly gone. The WTCC will implode soon. TCR International is successful and international, but to me it's not a proper world championship.

I mean, big audiences want extremely fast cars, not 300hp Civics and Corollas. We are a minority.
Is it as black and white as that? BTCC seems to be pretty popular. What's it doing differently?
Old 12 Aug 2017, 23:08 (Ref:3759050)   #602
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Is it as black and white as that? BTCC seems to be pretty popular. What's it doing differently?
Shouldn't we be discussing in this topic if Honda will win this WTCC once and for whole? How big will be for Polestar if they get kick by a mediocre Honda driver line up? Or how big will be the fiasco of Ningbo track in China? and What will be to celebrate in the night race of Losail? Sharpen the senses and drawn the knife...
Old 13 Aug 2017, 18:09 (Ref:3759190)   #603
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
BTCC is quite popular in Britain. But internationally? I don't think so. How many non-British sports fans know Turkington, Neal, Shedden, Jordan, Jackson, Collard?

Sports car racing is a team sport, so people don't need to tell Rigo from Pier Guidi or Werner from Lietz to root for Ferrari or Porsche.

But except for in places like Argentina and Australia, touring car racing is very individualistic.
Old 13 Aug 2017, 18:14 (Ref:3759191)   #604
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Electric rallycross and electric karting are great ideas.

Back to touring car racing, my view is that the World Championship era is sadly gone. The WTCC will implode soon. TCR International is successful and international, but to me it's not a proper world championship.

I mean, big audiences want extremely fast cars, not 300hp Civics and Corollas. We are a minority.
To get the general people interested that normally only watch F1 is difficult for every series. More bhp and faster laptimes does not mean people start loving it.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 03:02 (Ref:3759234)   #605
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
BTCC is quite popular in Britain. But internationally? I don't think so. How many non-British sports fans know Turkington, Neal, Shedden, Jordan, Jackson, Collard?

Sports car racing is a team sport, so people don't need to tell Rigo from Pier Guidi or Werner from Lietz to root for Ferrari or Porsche.

But except for in places like Argentina and Australia, touring car racing is very individualistic.
Anyone who's interested in touring car racing in general knows those names.

The big national series aren't very popular on an international level in general to the wider sporting audience. To think otherwise is just silly.

That said, I'd say that on a global scale, the BTCC, DTM, and VASC are MUCH more popular from a touring car standpoint than WTCC or anything from Argentina.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 12:43 (Ref:3759330)   #606
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda should do a whip around, check behind the sofa, and put the cash together for a 4th Civic on the flyaway rounds for Gordon Shedden. That way they'll have three cars in the points fighting for the title, and not just two...
Old 14 Aug 2017, 14:07 (Ref:3759341)   #607
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
, I'd say that on a global scale, the BTCC, DTM, and VASC are MUCH more popular from a touring car standpoint than WTCC or anything from Argentina.
I disagree. On a global scale, BTCC and Australian Supercars aren't well known.

Again, I'm not talking about gearheads like us, but general sports fans.

They are much more likely to have heard of Yvan Muller, Gabriele Tarquini, Mattias Ekstrom or Jamie Green than Neal, Shedden, Whincup or Winterbottom.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 14:18 (Ref:3759347)   #608
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
On a global scale, the only two racing series I'd say that the general public even knows about are F1 and NASCAR.

The latter due to things like Talladega Nights.
Old 15 Aug 2017, 12:48 (Ref:3759518)   #609
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
WEC's starting to get up there. Not sure about WRX though. And Formula E will no doubt be heard about.
Old 5 Sep 2017, 21:55 (Ref:3764822)   #610
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Cheese

Eurosport Events is dealing with Marcello Lotti. We may have TCR spec cars in place of TC1 cars. Why is the British press hiding this from us?

We all want to see that which is hidden, we all want to stare the forbidden in the face. Cheese?
Old 5 Sep 2017, 23:30 (Ref:3764846)   #611
SRBRNG
Rookie

SRBRNG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Eurosport Events is dealing with Marcello Lotti. We may have TCR spec cars in place of TC1 cars.
Should that prove to be true (and I have my doubts), it would come as a salvation for WTCC. The TC1 concept has run its course - technically far superior to TCR, but does anybody care?

Now I'm not sure what would Eurosport Events compensate Volvo with if they as a promoter actually made this U-turn. Volvo's involvement was based on a 5-year campaign and they obviously invested large sums of money into it.

Honda would simply switch to their TCR (new) Civic, hardly anyone would miss outdated Chevy and Citroen when there's a plethora of (TCR) cars to replace them. The only problem I see is Volvo - big factory program, potentially left betrayed by the people who lured them into WTCC. And with no adequate (TCR) car to replace the S60 TC1 with.
Old 6 Sep 2017, 04:31 (Ref:3764870)   #612
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Why is the British press hiding this from us?
Because the post from monday was wrong...
http://hosszabbitas.hu/wtcc/tcr-ninc...das-a-wtcc-vel
Old 6 Sep 2017, 06:50 (Ref:3764882)   #613
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
On a global scale, the only two racing series I'd say that the general public even knows about are F1 and NASCAR.

The latter due to things like Talladega Nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
WEC's starting to get up there. Not sure about WRX though. And Formula E will no doubt be heard about.
My co-workers have never heard of WEC or LMPs. They know what Le Mans is, but they have no idea what kind of cars race there - they just know they aren't F1 cars. They've heard of F1 (some casually watch it), heard of NASCAR, heard of Formula E (but seem to think it's some sort of weird practical joke), and that's it. Nothing else what-so-ever. Touring Cars, especially World Touring Cars, not a chance. If you start mentioning things like WTCC, V8SC, or sportscar stuff like Bathurst 12H, Spa 24H, they give you this look of "wait...there's an entire world of racing I didn't even know existed".
Old 6 Sep 2017, 13:31 (Ref:3764940)   #614
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
My co-workers have never heard of WEC or LMPs. They know what Le Mans is, but they have no idea what kind of cars race there - they just know they aren't F1 cars. They've heard of F1 (some casually watch it), heard of NASCAR, heard of Formula E (but seem to think it's some sort of weird practical joke), and that's it. Nothing else what-so-ever. Touring Cars, especially World Touring Cars, not a chance. If you start mentioning things like WTCC, V8SC, or sportscar stuff like Bathurst 12H, Spa 24H, they give you this look of "wait...there's an entire world of racing I didn't even know existed".
That's modern day television for you
Old 6 Sep 2017, 14:53 (Ref:3764960)   #615
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
That's modern day television for you
How is that modern day television? Back in the 90's it wasn't any different, and I can't imagine everybody in the 70's knew about all the different series either.
Old 6 Sep 2017, 15:10 (Ref:3764964)   #616
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
If anything, those in the 70's knew even less.
Old 6 Sep 2017, 18:51 (Ref:3765015)   #617
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
My sister went on a college field trip to France a few years ago, around the time Le Mans was on. Everyone on the coach happened to see a load of Le Mans-related stuff about the place but none of them knew what it was. My sister only knew because she's related to me .

On another occasion, I got talking to a temp at work and he mentioned that he thought Kimi Raikkonen was a cool dude, from seeing him in F1, and that he wanted to go to watch a rally (this was when Kimi was in WRC). I mentioned to him that I like touring cars and he looked at me as if I was speaking Swahili!

I also have a friend who thought that F1 was the only racing series on Earth.
Old 8 Sep 2017, 20:10 (Ref:3765492)   #618
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Monteiro in hospital after crash:

https://www.touringcartimes.com/2017...t-crash-spain/
Old 9 Sep 2017, 09:11 (Ref:3765619)   #619
S griffin
Veteran

Not good, hope he recovers in time for the next round.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 13:57 (Ref:3766063)   #620
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Swedish media (Expressen) reports that Volvo is about to pull the plug on their WTCC project. Polestar will stand for luxury high performance electric vehicles from now on. But not necessarily Formula E... Volvo has a deal with Cyan, but Volvo make it sound like that's not a problem. We'll see what other media reports on this.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 14:56 (Ref:3766072)   #621
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why am I not surprised. I'm sure some Australians will recognize that story
Old 11 Sep 2017, 15:53 (Ref:3766085)   #622
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Cinghio44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Enter in the WTCC to do only 2 full season it's a complete no sense
Old 11 Sep 2017, 16:33 (Ref:3766099)   #623
S griffin
Veteran

Be a blow to the series if true
Old 11 Sep 2017, 22:04 (Ref:3766167)   #624
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
No surprise because of their electric plans.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 22:05 (Ref:3766168)   #625
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Be a blow to the series if true
It's OK, current WTCC has no future.