Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Aug 2003, 22:23 (Ref:696895)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Justin Wilson

So, how good do you think he is? I honestly think that he has been thrown in at the deep end by getting the Jaguar seat before he's learned all the tracks. He's likely to be under pressure to perform immediately, and I would hate to see him become a British Pizzonia.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 22:36 (Ref:696903)   #2
beau
Racer

beau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he,s O.K he,s not the worst driver or the best driver in the world bu t he could do quite well if he got in to a better team then he could be winning races
Old 23 Aug 2003, 23:11 (Ref:696932)   #3
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Jaguar team are doing very well this season - surprisingly so.

But Justin is going to suffer - as you said - from not knowing all the tracks (he's done F3000 remember) and from the fact that Webber is occasionally so good he is flattering his machinery.

He's a solid driver - a race winner, but no WDC.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 23:42 (Ref:696950)   #4
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Maybe Justin should drive for a tailend team like Minardi for awhile before going to Jaguar !
Old 23 Aug 2003, 23:58 (Ref:696962)   #5
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You see, when Justin was at Minardi, any performance was good, but now it's all too different.

I want him to be in that Jag drive next year but I get the gut feeling he won't be.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 00:42 (Ref:696984)   #6
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately Wilson is suffering from Webber's brilliance, with Webber having the Jaguar up higher than it's entitled to be people are expecting Wilson to hop in the car & do the same. Hopefully for Jaguar's sake they give Wilson a full season to prove himself in 2004 & to try & get the team further up the Constructor's Championship.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 02:57 (Ref:697022)   #7
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For some reason we expect drivers to be perfect the moment they set foot in a situation. He's not use to the team, the car and he's still a rookie! IMO it's not fair to critisize his performance. Pizzonia had the same problem so clearly it's more than a surface problem.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 04:29 (Ref:697051)   #8
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
Maybe Justin should drive for a tailend team like Minardi for awhile before going to Jaguar !
I mentioned this before the move, but nobody agreed. Although, I said the same about Webber and he's done alright.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 05:05 (Ref:697054)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There's also the testing ban which means he's had little running before the actual GP. Watching the times in practice over the past two days he's been keeping close to Mark, if not ahead, at times and its only in qualifying where he drops back. Nevertheless his grid slot this weekend is where DC was last time out (12th) so not bad.

He gas of course raced at this circuit before though in F3000.

I hope he does well and in the final few GPs I would like to see him in points posisitons.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 05:42 (Ref:697067)   #10
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
As many here pointed out, Justin is suposed to be the better driver having beaten Mark in the F3000 championship. I can only surmise that the F3000 season was not a true indication of the relative abilities of the two drivers, seeing that in his first year at Minardi, mark was often snapping at the heels of much faster and supposedly better drivers. Now his efforts at Jaguar has confirmed this. Of course, some will also point out that in the lessor categories, HHF was the better achievr than SchM, and herre lies the true test: when the budding driver gets behind the wheel of an F1 car and fights it out with the big boys in better machinery.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 05:57 (Ref:697070)   #11
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Wilson is so good why then is he 1.5 seconds off Webber. Are we looking at another Pizzonia
Old 24 Aug 2003, 06:03 (Ref:697073)   #12
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I just hope Jag are not hasty with Justin and give him time to settle with the team and car.As i said before both Justin and Pizzonia are victoms of the great performances put in by Mark Webber and so the team expects even though some of the performances put in by Mark are through his own brilliance
Old 24 Aug 2003, 06:08 (Ref:697075)   #13
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you lads are being seriously hard on Justin Wilson. Its not like he has had a chance yet. In qually he made a mistake in the first sector that pretty much blew the lap, but thats it. I would have thought he would be given until the end of the season as a settling in period, then preparing fully for 2004. Jagual, even Jaguar, have surely learned that a bit of continuity is a good thing.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 06:12 (Ref:697078)   #14
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I dont think we need to start the Wilson bashing.

I think without question, Webber and F1 seem to go well together. Its not uncommon for talent to shine differently in different catagories.

Wilson will be fine, just needs more time. I still think taking on Webber at this early stage was a mistake, but he also had to get his butt out of the Minardi as quick as he could.

Hopefully, we will see both in a F3000 rematch in the big leagues.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 06:28 (Ref:697082)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Also lets look at the relative performances when they both run a race. Last time out Justin was a victim of the first lap melee. Let's see what he does in race trim for the entire GP (or as long as the Cosworth lasts anyway).
Old 24 Aug 2003, 08:12 (Ref:697108)   #16
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
What are you saying Peter, give the guy a chance? What drugs are you on, and how do I get some?
Old 24 Aug 2003, 08:15 (Ref:697109)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Pharmacy next door.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 08:28 (Ref:697117)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Sels a memory enhancing drug which.......................
Old 24 Aug 2003, 08:38 (Ref:697122)   #19
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He needs a fair stab at it.Getting all worried about him now is totally pointless

Last edited by RWC; 24 Aug 2003 at 08:40.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 09:50 (Ref:697156)   #20
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
he joined Jaguar at completely the wrong time, mideason, with the testing ban coming up. The laps he's done at Hockenheim and the Hungaroring have been his only laps in the Jaguar, and he had to learn the new llayouts of both of those. Wait untilt hte end of the season before judging him.

I still think he's on a par with Mark, who's performances in races haven't usually matched his qualifying efforts.

Last edited by BootsOntheSide; 24 Aug 2003 at 09:55.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 09:58 (Ref:697161)   #21
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jaguar did say they brought Wilson in to help them secure 5th in the constructors championship - so it's obvious they are expecting a lot from him now. I think he'll go well today, when he (cross fingers) gets a full race distance.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 10:42 (Ref:697181)   #22
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
I still think he's on a par with Mark, who's performances in races haven't usually matched his qualifying efforts.
Hmm, I guess you missed a few races boots, like Austria and Melbourne.

Thats said, Marks performaces have been both flatered in Quals and hidden in races by the inconsistant Jaguar. The cat seems to be quick over a lap, but suffers over a race distance.

I really think this team can step up next year, and snap at the heals of the big four.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:05 (Ref:697267)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well, FWIW I think he put in a solid drive today. Nowhere near the points but kept it going and stayed well out of trouble. A few days testing and I think (hope) we'll see some improvement.

Can Jaguar test on any days other than GP weekends?
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:50 (Ref:697349)   #24
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd go as far as saying Wilson has been further behind Webber than Pizzonia was. That's understandable in a way, but he's been a bit of a disappointment nonetheless. But who exactly to replace him?!
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:58 (Ref:697368)   #25
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 races. No running. Pizzonia had all winter. Now really.