Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Aug 2015, 14:31 (Ref:3565585)   #1
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best sportscar driver in North America right now

Redbull posted an article on the best GT driver in the world. So we came up with one for best sportscar driver in North America right now. We suggested Spencer Pumpelly, Jordan Taylor and Ryan Dalziel. Vote and discuss: http://nasportscar.com/best-sportsca...ica-right-now/
Old 12 Aug 2015, 15:08 (Ref:3565592)   #2
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasportscar View Post
Redbull posted an article on the best GT driver in the world. So we came up with one for best sportscar driver in North America right now. We suggested Spencer Pumpelly, Jordan Taylor and Ryan Dalziel. Vote and discuss: http://nasportscar.com/best-sportsca...ica-right-now/
I voted for Jordan Taylor on the nasportscar site. Granted Dalziel is doing very well in PWC considering he is driving an old Porsche. Imagine how he would do driving a car like the new McLaren. But I think Dane Cameron should get some looks too as being considered the best driver right now. Also would Nick Tandy qualify too?
Old 13 Aug 2015, 21:57 (Ref:3565905)   #3
BTCC 318d
Rookie

BTCC 318d has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Surely Tandy shoukd be on that list? Some bloody imoressive drives this year (but does his main one count for a NA competition?)

Used to race against Dalziel from age 11-16. Good to see old sparring partners doing well (but I'd still vote Tandy)!
Old 14 Aug 2015, 00:42 (Ref:3565924)   #4
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jordan Taylor is a good pick, was good in the old Rolex GT Camaro and has been great in the DP so far and obviously solid enough in the GTE car. Has a good character and attitude and has been very mature (on track anyway).

Dane Cameron is another pretty obvious one. He was one of the best in the Rolex GT Mazdas, was quick in the PC cars, was good in the ST class cars, good in the Sahlen's DP, has been great in GTD and now is great in the DP again.

Although he doesn't switch classes up much, Antonio Garcia is my "bring up someone that hasn't mentioned" pick. I'd rank him as the best in the Corvette lineup and he was good in the DP as well. He has had some bad luck, but I've always thought of him as a quiet achiever that doesn't get involved in silly stuff. He's always fast, clean and I'm not sure if I can think of any mistakes he's made.

John Edwards is another one I'd rate highly. He was strong in the Rolex Mazdas, great in the Rolex Camaro, strong in the GS Camaro, great in the GS BMW, and he's been solid in the GTE Z4. Always seems like he uses his head and stays away from silly stuff, but knows how to be firm when he needs to. I don't follow the junior formula stuff but I've heard a few people mention he was quite convincing in the Mazda one, so it would be interesting to see him get a chance in the higher downforce P class to see how he went there as well.

Would need an honorable mention list that is a page long though I think, seems like it's easy to think of lots of guys that are right up there.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 10:08 (Ref:3565966)   #5
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A little late to the show on this driver. She leads the
points now in GTD. She has good tastes in her favorite
track , Road Atlanta. Christina Nielsen looks forward
to the Petit Le Mans.
http://www.imsa.com/articles/chat-gt...istina-nielsen
Old 15 Aug 2015, 10:27 (Ref:3566154)   #6
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Pat Long or Jordan Taylor are my top 2 choices for Americans .
Old 15 Aug 2015, 11:14 (Ref:3566162)   #7
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I'd say Dalziel or Jordan Taylor. It's hard to seperate those two.
Old 15 Aug 2015, 11:56 (Ref:3566168)   #8
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Scott Pruett. Duh!
Old 15 Aug 2015, 20:03 (Ref:3566227)   #9
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is hard to believe that Ryan Dalziel has never gotten/taken an offer from one of the factory teams in the sport. He is an awesome driver. Jordan Taylor is not really a GT driver apart from the one race he does every year with Corvette.
Old 15 Aug 2015, 21:15 (Ref:3566230)   #10
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
It is hard to believe that Ryan Dalziel has never gotten/taken an offer from one of the factory teams in the sport. He is an awesome driver. Jordan Taylor is not really a GT driver apart from the one race he does every year with Corvette.
Didn't he run with the viper team?
Old 15 Aug 2015, 21:45 (Ref:3566235)   #11
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Didn't he run with the viper team?
Yeah, I totally forgot about that
Old 15 Aug 2015, 22:30 (Ref:3566240)   #12
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
Just speculating, but perhaps he doesn't do a factory thing because it might limit his participation in other things? It seems like he has often had a few gigs going at once and a factory might expect him to limit his other running. In the Viper program he was only an endurance driver so I wouldn't really count that as a fully factory gig.

I've kinda wondered the same about Jeroen Bleekemolen. Always just figured he had too much fun driving all different kinds of stuff all over, to be tied down to one manufacturer.

As for Jordan Taylor, he was a GT driver before his DP outings, ran with Racer's Edge in their Rolex GT Mazda RX-8, and Autohaus in their Camaro. I believe he plonked one of the Z/28s on pole at VIR last year in a one-off in the CTSCC as well, so he's got GT experience and skill.
Old 17 Aug 2015, 13:22 (Ref:3566461)   #13
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the poll was for best sportscar driver, not just GT...The three that were on the poll were just the three drivers that the 4 guys came up with..Guys like Dane Cameron, Nick Tandy, Nick Catsburg, etc are all up there as well and could be on the list, but if we listed everyone, it would have been a HUGE poll..

we might do something similar in the future to get more drivers on the list though.
Old 17 Aug 2015, 14:45 (Ref:3566470)   #14
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well to clarify maybe nasportscar is asking who is the best driver this year from the ranks of FULL SEASON competitors from either IMSA or PWC. The nominees for me would be Dalziel, Tandy, Cameron, J Taylor
Old 17 Aug 2015, 16:51 (Ref:3566499)   #15
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
I've kinda wondered the same about Jeroen Bleekemolen. Always just figured he had too much fun driving all different kinds of stuff all over, to be tied down to one manufacturer.
I'm sure he's one of the highest paid sports car drivers in the world rite now (I'd wager the highest, short of 1 or 2 P1 drivers) -- due to the fact he's at the top of his game and can drive in any series for any team in any car at any time. Once you're a works/factory driver you can't compete in a series against your manufacture brand which severely limits the number of races you can do. It also has a side effect of capping your pay as you can't always dictate your per-race rate when the factory puts you in a car.

He gets to do whatever he wants and everyone knows he's one of the fastest and most well respected drivers in the world.

-mike
Old 17 Aug 2015, 17:36 (Ref:3566501)   #16
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
I'm sure he's one of the highest paid sports car drivers in the world rite now (I'd wager the highest, short of 1 or 2 P1 drivers) -- due to the fact he's at the top of his game and can drive in any series for any team in any car at any time. Once you're a works/factory driver you can't compete in a series against your manufacture brand which severely limits the number of races you can do. It also has a side effect of capping your pay as you can't always dictate your per-race rate when the factory puts you in a car.

He gets to do whatever he wants and everyone knows he's one of the fastest and most well respected drivers in the world.

-mike
Plus he once got out of his GTC car in qualifying to pick up a wheel that fell off and drove it back to the pits, then set the top qualy time! Legend.
Old 17 Aug 2015, 20:55 (Ref:3566536)   #17
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I still have my V12 recordings (from muscle milk's car at the time) from that race (the first ALMS baltimore race) from various places around the track.
Wheee....EEEEEEEeeeeeeee (if you know what I mean).... sigh ...and yet again, I wish I'd be a couple decades older now..