Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Nov 2005, 19:55 (Ref:1474130)   #1
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anglia engine

I,m planning on building an anglia to run in HRSC and i,m looking for advice on engine/gearbox eligibility.
e.g ....because newly built cars must run in the 1300cc class,....can i use the 1300 crossflow block,.........does it have to be 1200cc as per original anglia engine,.......can the block be bored oversize with short stroke crank.
Also does the original anglia gearbox casing have to be used or can i use the 2000e (Bullet) casing.
Any advice and info would be welcome.
Old 30 Nov 2005, 20:10 (Ref:1474136)   #2
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the best thing you can do is get a set of regs off the HRSC, and read them very very carefully, All too many people dont read regs properly or put ther own interpritation on them.

this forum is a good place to chat and swap idea's, but whatever you do dont start building a car on the basis of advise given on here, its all well meaning, but that well meaning advise could prove very expensive if you act on it without throughly checking it out first.

good luck

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 30 Nov 2005, 20:23 (Ref:1474143)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Support all you say Graham. And FWIW Robyn. Don't let Zefarelly read this thread.
Old 30 Nov 2005, 23:06 (Ref:1474254)   #4
Andy Law
Rookie

United Kingdom
Enfield
Andy Law should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm in the process of rebuilding a anglia for next year
check the link below the regs are on there
http://www.historicsaloons.fsnet.co.uk/
As my car has previously raced in the championship i am allowed to use the 1500cc
but any new car is restricted to 1300cc which is a bit unfair
you should be able to base your engine on either a pre or crossflow 5 bearing crank 1300cc
Old 30 Nov 2005, 23:14 (Ref:1474262)   #5
Andy Law
Rookie

United Kingdom
Enfield
As for the rest i think you can use any combination of bore to stroke ratio as there's a few 1500 with 85mm bore's and short stroke cranks
gearbox wise i've seen both three and single rail boxes used
we use a 1200 anglia tailshaft and selectors on the 2000e casing that way the gearstick comes out thru the original tunnel hole,
To which we attach a wooler quickshift
Old 2 Dec 2005, 17:04 (Ref:1475818)   #6
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Thanks for your comments guys.
I.ve been studying the regs for both HRSC & CTCRC for what seems like months.
Theres quite a few differences between the two clubs when it comes to build regs.
The hrsc seem to allow for more mods to the engine(Do the ctcrc have the same 1300 rule for new cars?).
How rigidly are the rules applied/enforced?
Does anybody out there know who could answer my original questions with authority so that i don,t waste time & money building a car that is technically illegal?
Cheers
Old 2 Dec 2005, 17:10 (Ref:1475821)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn Slater
How rigidly are the rules applied/enforced?
Not rigidly enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn Slater
Does anybody out there know who could answer my original questions with authority so that i don,t waste time & money building a car that is technically illegal?
Cheers
I suggest you contact the technical people on the relevant club committee. But I must advise you that the standard "if doesn't say you can do it, you can't do it" applies. So as has been said only build to what the regs say not what you may think they say.

The HRSR is somewhat more flexible in its regs because its loosely based on the App J regs that ran in 1967 (lightweight panels, bigger engines etc.). The CTCRC is more closely aligned with the App J Group 5 pre 1966 regs.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 18:01 (Ref:1475863)   #8
Andy Law
Rookie

United Kingdom
Enfield
Robyn Have you joined the HRSR yet if not its worth joining before you do any work so you know your cars to the right spec.
You can contact one of the commitee members on the link above who will be happy to help your technical questions.
good luck, maybe i'll see you out on track
Old 3 Dec 2005, 08:44 (Ref:1476162)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Support all you say Graham. And FWIW Robyn. Don't let Zefarelly read this thread.
I'm Thinking about sulking, and not raising to the bait

then again . . .

you can push it quite a long way with the HRSR, overboring and short stroking is commonplace, downdraught heads, bucket size carbs, electric water/oil pumps, 2000e box is fine, dog boxes are fine for HRSR too, as are radical suspension mods, brake mods, plastic panels etc. as long as you have some of the original shell somewhere in the car you'll get away with it !

I think the 1300/1500 ruling is bloody ridiculous

an FiA App K spec anglia has to run at 1200, as it was built, with a DCD 28/36 15000GT carb, but can still punt out 115 BHP or so. if you did that you'd be the slowest car in the field at an HRSR meeting, probably get a good race at CTCRC, TOP Hat U2TC etc, but not the most competitive as all the anglias are rodded so there won't be much to play with.
Old 3 Dec 2005, 09:51 (Ref:1476193)   #10
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
[QUOTE=zefarelly]...an FiA App K spec anglia has to run at 1200, as it was built, with a DCD 28/36 15000GT carb, but can still punt out 115 BHP or so. if you did that you'd be the slowest car in the field at an HRSR meeting, probably get a good race at CTCRC, TOP Hat U2TC etc, but not the most competitive as all the anglias are rodded so there won't be much to play with.

Is that why theres more anglias running in hsrc and almost none in ctcrc?
Old 3 Dec 2005, 09:53 (Ref:1476194)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yep.
Old 3 Dec 2005, 17:59 (Ref:1476382)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Yep.
what he said !

there are a few FiA spec ones about and theyre quick enough to have fun with and on a sensible budget, its essentially the engine spec of an FJ car but unless your running in a like for like series you won't get much close racing in one and it'd never catch a top spec mini
Old 4 Dec 2005, 13:16 (Ref:1476781)   #13
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Looks like its going to be a hotrod then!!
Old 5 Dec 2005, 21:08 (Ref:1477723)   #14
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
nothing wrong with that, and theres still plenty of people to play with. I think racing on the continent will gatharder for non FiA cars in the pre66 categories though