Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 7 Jun 2011, 16:32 (Ref:2892940)   #1
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2012 Nascar Silly Season

Kasey Kahne set for three years at Hendrick with Farmers Insurance as primary sponsor.

http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/cu...r-at-hendrick/
Old 9 Jun 2011, 09:06 (Ref:2894123)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Farmers Insurance Replaces GoDaddy.com

Same story as above, more detail however... and perhaps another indication that Team Danica is coming to NASCAR!!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 9 Jun 2011, 23:49 (Ref:2894834)   #3
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
perhaps another indication that Team Danica is coming to NASCAR!!
gggggrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnn...........
Old 10 Jun 2011, 18:27 (Ref:2895309)   #4
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
gggggrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnn...........
ya that
Old 10 Jun 2011, 23:56 (Ref:2895443)   #5
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's too bad Carl Edwards is having a great season. Honestly, if he doesn't move teams, there's not going to be much heat from the stove.

I think it's obvious Red Bull want an all-new driver pairing. Mark Martin and Cole Whitt? Not sure where it would leave Brian Vickers, with everything likely open being so low-profile, and he's not the caliber of driver JGR would start a fourth team for or anything. Does Nationwide beckon?
Old 11 Jun 2011, 20:26 (Ref:2895964)   #6
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vickers and Logano are the two drivers most in question for me? After a rather poor year, will Gibbs give him the same patience as Roush with Ragan? The latter is starting to pay off. Vickers, he's gonna be a big question mark for next year. Also heard that Montoya is in a contract year, though I doubt he will leave EGR.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 09:58 (Ref:2896792)   #7
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I would be surprised if Logano and Montoya leave their current team.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 15:26 (Ref:2897149)   #8
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I doubt Montoya leaves, too. Been really quiet there and while I still think he has some wins in him, 2009 was his career year and I don't know if he'll ever pull that kind of season together again. I'm sure a lot of the teams are familiar with his antics now, and as much as I like the guy, I can't see anyone other than Chip putting up with it.

Logano, well, I want to see him in another ride, if only to see what he can do. I have to believe he needs a change of scenery because he's not this bad, and he's been more than capable of a good run in Cup from time-to-time. He was rushed up too soon and JGR might not have been the best environment for him to learn the big cars. Logano and Martin at Red Bull, giving Whitt another year to develop? Never going to happen, but I like the idea, personally.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 09:54 (Ref:2900079)   #9
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not driver related, but anyway, Watkins Glen Int'l President Michael Printup plans to lobby NASCAR to change to the longer layout at WGI that includes the Boot. If NASCAR was to even consider it I reckon it'll happen in 2012 although I suppose there is a microscopic chance it might happen to this years' race already - at least that's what Tony Stewart want to see, after the McLaren car swap he recently did with Lewis Hamilton (during which they drove on the longer WGI layout).

Personally I'd love to see NASCAR swap to the longer layout.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 22:58 (Ref:2900632)   #10
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan View Post
Personally I'd love to see NASCAR swap to the longer layout.
only if they learn what a local yellow is
Old 17 Jun 2011, 22:20 (Ref:2901161)   #11
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
News!

Gibbs wants Carl Edwards. Trying to put him in the #20, with Logano moving to a 4th team car, IF this ever happens.

"Gibbs courting Edwards? am hearing that Carl Edwards, currently the driver of the #99 Roush Fenway Racing Ford, is being courted by Joe Gibbs Racing to take over the #20 Home Depot Toyota ride. Where would that leave current #20 driver, Joey Logano, to the long rumored 4th Joe Gibbs car, no word on who would be the sponsor, if it happens.(6-17-2011)"

May as well get this news over with:

Andretti Autosport going to NASCAR? SPEED.com open wheel reporter Robin Miller joined Steve Byrnes on NASCAR Race Hub on SPEED Thursday evening to discuss Danica Patrick and Andretti Autosport among other things. Following is the transcript in part from the interview;
On any traction to the rumors of Andretti Autosport going to NASCAR:
Miller: "John Lopes (CFO of Andretti Autosport), who puts all their sponsorships together, said last week & I said, 'Hey, is there anything to this rumor that you guys might be going stock car racing?' He said, 'We're exploring. We're definitely looking into it.' So, we've heard that they might be connected to Roush, that they might be doing something with Ford Motor Company, but that kind of makes me wonder that Michael (Andretti) is probably not going to go with General Motors when the new engines come along next year, but everybody is assuming if Andretti goes to NASCAR, he'll just keep Danica. I don't think that's going to happen. I don't think that's going to happen at all. They're looking at opportunities to replace this GoDaddy money with some NASCAR money and I tell you what that's a huge deficit to make up when you lose somebody like GoDaddy because it's probably the second or third biggest sponsorship in IndyCar racing and that's going to be tough to replace."(SPEED)(6-17-2011)

More on Danica to NASCAR? SPEED.com open wheel reporter Robin Miller joined Steve Byrnes on NASCAR Race Hub on SPEED Thursday evening to discuss Danica Patrick and Andretti Autosport among other things. Following is the transcript in part from the interview;
On whether rumors are true that Danica Patrick is headed to NASCAR fulltime:
Miller: "We've been saying for six months that she's gone. I don't think anyone in IndyCar thinks that she's going to be around. I think everyone is resigned to the fact that IMG is going to take her to NASCAR. Where she lands in NASCAR, I think that's what is going to be interesting. Tony Stewart lately has been saying, 'I'd really like to see her come here. She's got a lot of potential.' I think that potential might be assigned to that GoDaddy paycheck, which is pretty big."(SPEED)(6-17-2011)

IMS (Brickyard) Hosting NNS race next year?

"Indianpolis Motor Speedway considering taking Nationwide race: An Indianapolis Motor Speedway spokesman Tuesday confirmed talks to bring a sports car race to the facility's road course in 2012 during NASCAR's Brickyard 400 weekend, but he said no agreement is in place. The biggest obstacle: converting the facility from a road course configuration, which would be used for a Friday endurance race of Grand-Am's Rolex Series, to an oval for NASCAR on Saturday and Sunday. NASCAR owns Grand-Am, which would bring a title sponsor to cover the sanctioning fee estimated at $200,000. Also being discussed is a move of the weekend's Nationwide Series race, which comes with a guaranteed check of about $700,000 due to the television contract, from Lucas Oil Raceway to IMS. IMS officials have been looking for ways to bolster the Brickyard weekend amid declining attendance.(Indianapolis Star)(6-15-2011)"
Old 20 Jun 2011, 16:25 (Ref:2902452)   #12
HJJ
Veteran

United States
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Boom.

Quote:
Red Bull leaving NASCAR? Multiple people familiar with the decision say Red Bull plans to leave NASCAR at the end of this season. Those familiar with the decision also say a team official traveled to Michigan Speedway last weekend to inform industry leaders of Red Bull's decision. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because an official announcement has not been made to team employees. Red Bull is both the owner and sponsor of the two-car NASCAR team. The team has struggled since its 2007 entry into NASCAR. Red Bull also owns a pair of two-car Formula One teams. Current points leader Sebastian Vettel is the reigning world champion and has won five of seven Grand Prix races this season.(Associated Press)(6-20-2011)
Old 20 Jun 2011, 17:42 (Ref:2902484)   #13
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Would the ROI not be much better if they sponsor a Hendrick, Gibs or Roush driver instead of an own team?
Old 20 Jun 2011, 17:58 (Ref:2902491)   #14
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Would the ROI not be much better if they sponsor a Hendrick, Gibs or Roush driver instead of an own team?
I think they realize the Nascar demographic is not the Red Bull demographic.
Old 20 Jun 2011, 18:26 (Ref:2902505)   #15
blaffer
Racer

Belgium
Antwerp
blaffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any indication that Red Bull might be shifting focus to for example IndyCar?
Old 20 Jun 2011, 18:51 (Ref:2902515)   #16
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
I think they realize the Nascar demographic is not the Red Bull demographic.
That's pretty much true for all auto racing and Red Bull. Based on going to clubs, the Red Bull demographic are college students on speed, adrenaline, and vodka shots at 2 in the morning.

Quote:
Any indication that Red Bull might be shifting focus to for example IndyCar?
They were there in the early part of last decade with Eddie Cheever's team. It's possible, but I don't think so.

Jayski:

Quote:
Red Bull leaving NASCAR? UPDATE: Multiple people familiar with the decision say Red Bull [#4-Kahne & #83-Vickers] plans to leave NASCAR at the end of this season. Those familiar with the decision also say a team official traveled to Michigan Speedway last weekend to inform industry leaders of Red Bull's decision. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because an official announcement has not been made to team employees. Red Bull is both the owner and sponsor of the two-car NASCAR team. The team has struggled since its 2007 entry into NASCAR. Red Bull also owns a pair of two-car Formula One teams. Current points leader Sebastian Vettel is the reigning world champion and has won five of seven Grand Prix races this season.(Associated Press)(6-20-2011)

UPDATE: Sources say employees at Red Bull Racing have been told that the NASCAR Sprint Cup operation will close at the end of the year. A surprise visit by race director Thomas Ueberall had crew members scrambling for job openings at Michigan this weekend. Two scenarios mentioned for the existing equipment could be general manager Jay Frye bringing in investors and starting a new operation with Mark Martin and engines from Hendrick Motorsports, a plan that Frye had tried to expedite over the last two years with pushback from Austria. The hot rumor of late has been the return of Ray Evernham in an ownership role similar to Tony Stewart's at SHR, with Red Bull as the sponsor. On Monday Evernham told FOXSports.com he "had zero desire to be an owner again." Evernham said he had no knowledge on a Red Bull deal. Apparently, Red Bull was fairly far down the line in negotiations with Clint Bowyer for the #4 ride next season. It was one of the few companies that could afford Bowyer. Another dilemma with the Red Bull situation is what happens to Cole Whitt, who currently drives for the organization in the Camping World Truck Series. Certainly, if Frye acquires the assets, Whitt must be part of that plan.(Fox Sports)(6-20-2011)
Might see a shell of the current team enter one car next year under Frye's leadership. They'll have a guaranteed top 35 starting spot for the first few races after all.

Bowyer's a good driver, but he overrates his worth if Red Bull was one of the few that could afford him, especially if that car he's in now as rumored doesn't have money to last this season.

Last edited by Flyin Ryan; 20 Jun 2011 at 19:00.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 04:01 (Ref:2902670)   #17
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
That news is easily the shock of silly season, at least for now

Anyway, I see the whole Frye thing happening, with him taking over and still running the two cars. Bowyer may indeed be one of the drivers, but could Vickers stay? Could Mark Martin come over? As for Whitt, he'll be ok for next year. Maybe he will run as a Cup rookie next year? Montoya and Edwards are also rumors for moving to this operation. Anything's possible right now.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 22:10 (Ref:2903167)   #18
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Red Bull leaving would be a bombshell of sorts. They seem to have their hands in all facets of motorsports; dominating F1, sole sponsors of some series and yet can't seem to make a big splash in NASCAR. Can't understand why....

Speed won at Dover in a truck; is that all they have to show?

Pretty bummed as I have passed on some options to enjoy them from up close, and am now about to start kicking myself hard.

Edit:
And yet, optimism from Jayski/ESPN:
Quote:
Jay Frye, vice president and general manager for Red Bull Team Racing, said Tuesday he is optimistic that he can line up investors to keep the organization intact for the 2012 season. "We have talked to some people who have great enthusiasm about what we're doing," Frye said on a conference call. "We believe we can put something together rather quickly in 30 to 45 days. But the process has just started. We had a lot of inquires yesterday. The goal is to keep the Red Bull team continuing on the path it's on." Frye said he couldn't get specific about ongoing negotiations. He said he learned a few weeks ago that Red Bull might pull out of the sport. Frye said it's possible Red Bull could stay involved in the team in some capacity in the future.(ESPN.com)(6-21-2011)
Old 21 Jun 2011, 22:25 (Ref:2903182)   #19
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Hopefully Red Bull will keep a toe-hold in NASCAR and other investors/owners can keep that team going.

All very worrisome though since The King was only able to rescue his team by the skin of his teeth.
Old 14 Jul 2011, 18:57 (Ref:2926719)   #20
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
A very rough draft of the 2012 team chart.

http://www.jayski.com/pages/2012teams.htm
Old 16 Jul 2011, 21:23 (Ref:2927522)   #21
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Villeneuve shopping for race team

Updated Jul 16, 2011 3:26 PM ET

Jacques Villeneuve came to New Hampshire Motor Speedway on Saturday to shop -- for a race team.

While the 1997 Formula champ's first choice would be acquiring a full-time ride in either the Sprint Cup or Nationwide Series, Villeneuve realizes providing his own seat my be the best option to join the sport.

“There’s two things, if I can get a good ride, I probably would not be looking at (buying a team) but the way the budgets are right now you might as well bring it yourself,” Villeneuve said. “If I could get a full-time ride, I probably wouldn’t bother.”

Villeneuve said his first preference is Sprint Cup. But he would prefer a solid Nationwide Series team to a struggling Cup operation. That’s what Villeneuve has found with his current part-time deal at Penske Racing.

“I really like the Nationwide Series,” Villeneuve said. “It’s a lot of fun and it’s really good racing.

“With Penske Racing, it’s been great. It’s a great team. The people are great. The cars are great. The team is great. They give you everything you need to be able to do what you need to do.”
Hopefully, Villeneuve should full-time contract for next year...
Old 3 Aug 2011, 05:40 (Ref:2935238)   #22
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Alot of people here are not gonna be happy, but seriously. How was this NOT going to happen?

Patrick close to signing deal to run NASCAR in 2012 UPDATE: Danica Patrick is in the final stages of putting together her full-time NASCAR plan. Patrick is apparently going to run a full Nationwide schedule with JR Motorsports [in 2012], and run a limited Sprint Cup schedule with Tony Stewart in preparation for an eventual full Cup schedule.(ESPN/Associated Press)(8-2-2011)
UPDATE: Danica Patrick could still run the Indianapolis 500 even if she makes a full-time move to NASCAR, The Associated Press has learned. Two people familiar with Patrick's 2012 plans said she is in the final stages of a deal to run a full-time Nationwide Series schedule with JR Motorsports and limited Sprint Cup Series races with the team owned by two-time NASCAR champion Tony Stewart. The people spoke to AP on condition of anonymity because the deal won't be finished until she has secured a release from Andretti Autosport. The talks also include her continuing to run the Indianapolis 500, one person told AP.(ESPN)(8-2-2011)
Old 3 Aug 2011, 10:58 (Ref:2935325)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So... will Andretti Autosport survive the departure of the money flypaper that is Ms Patrick?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 3 Aug 2011, 14:06 (Ref:2935404)   #24
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Blah blah blah....

here comes DanicaFan.
Old 3 Aug 2011, 19:45 (Ref:2935520)   #25
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
So... will Andretti Autosport survive the departure of the money flypaper that is Ms Patrick?
They have one car for RHR I think in inverted colours to Danica, although one assumes that comes as part of her deal.

My guess? Likely no.