Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Nov 2009, 03:56 (Ref:2574637)   #1
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[Rules/Tech] What would people like to see changed for the 2010 V8 Supercar season?

Straight foward question, what would like to see changed for next year's V8 season? The cars have bigger capacity engines? Less downforce, more mechanical grip? Less overseas rounds, etc, etc.

Personally, I would like to see the use of less areo grip with more tyre grip and the cars a few kilos lighter.
Old 3 Nov 2009, 04:19 (Ref:2574639)   #2
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Get rid of the crap contrived compulsory fuel and tyre pitstops.

Make the "BunchtheFieldUpandMakeitExciting" Car a "Safety" Car.

Still not sure about the A and B races at PI either.

Otherwise I'm having a great year!
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 3 Nov 2009, 04:25 (Ref:2574643)   #3
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i think its too late to change a lot of things for 2010 and many of those options would be more relvants for the new car that skaife is helping to design.

I would like to see a mixture of formats, eg some longer races , some shorter races some medium races, some with CPS some without
Old 3 Nov 2009, 04:39 (Ref:2574646)   #4
Jacob Black
Rookie

Jacob Black should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Change the tyres to a proper size, and give them more grip, make a better tyre, so there is more mechanical grip, I think the racing even between two cars on sprint tyres is better than two cars on soft tyres, drivers need more confidence in the cars.
Old 3 Nov 2009, 04:53 (Ref:2574649)   #5
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a tyre with more grip.

make Sandown back into the Sandown 500 as an extra enduro before PI.
Old 3 Nov 2009, 05:42 (Ref:2574662)   #6
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good mix of short,medium and long races, but the shortest no less than 150km.

Same qualifying format for all races.

Revert back to overall round (weekend) winner.

The grids to be 50/50 Ford and Holden.

A decision to never re establish starting positions behind safety car no matter what occurs on Lap1.
If you have to restart, re-grid properly.
Old 3 Nov 2009, 06:25 (Ref:2574671)   #7
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get rid of compulsory pit stops so you pit only if you need to - make some of the races longer so pitstops will be required.

Go back to the 1 round per weekend format - these qualifying sessions on both days are stupid - where you finish up on Saturday is where you start Sunday. Also get rid of the Top Ten Shootouts at every round, there's only 1 place they should occur and that's Bathurst.

Make Surfers an Adelaide style event with 2 longer races over both days.

Speak to Turn 10 (the people that just put V8 Supercars in their Forza 3 game) about producing a stand alone V8 Supercar Game - and bung Oran Park in there just for old times sake.
Old 3 Nov 2009, 06:41 (Ref:2574677)   #8
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regardless of what you do to the cars, the best drivers and the best teams will still duke it out up front at similar pace. It really doesn't matter what you do to the cars if everybody is doing it. Making them harder to drive is the only real option (say take 20mm off the tyre width, and reduce aero while maintaining the winged look).

Our tracks are mostly to blame for the lack of passing opportunities. By European standards, many of our tracks are more like go-kart tracks, too many short straights, meaningless turns, and so narrow that only one viable line exists.

If you want more overtaking, then maybe the only way forward is a "push to pass" feature that gives an additional 500rpm (remember we don't have turbo's to increase output). 5 shots per race would allow some clever strategy to come into play.

Apart from NASCAR and Speedway which both provide continual overtaking via the speedway track design, just about all major series now suffer the follow the leader syndrome.
Old 3 Nov 2009, 13:26 (Ref:2574876)   #9
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Softer tyres, sounds like a lot of expense... but it is not a bad idea.

I think they should simplify the formats. You start the second race where you finish the first.

Forget the "knock-out" qualifying... F1s are the fastest things in circuit racing, watching them go to the limit is entertaining... watching V8 qualifying that goes on and on is just boring, they should just have 20 mins qually on the Saturday and extend the Saturday race to 200(+) km at all rounds.

2x250km instead of 2x200km at Hamilton and Townsville too, there's no good reason for those races to be "downspecced" compared to the Adelaide and Sydney ones...

whether they change to smaller tanks or keep mandatory contrived fuel stops isn't a bother.

Refuelling is a bit dangeous though... after all there are still lots of people (and celebs ) wandering the pit lane without firesuits, you wonder how they can "mandate" un-needed fuel stops and get that past OH&S paperwork...
Old 3 Nov 2009, 13:44 (Ref:2574884)   #10
motofan
Racer

motofan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lucky dog or what ever the hell its called to get back on the lead lap after a safety car or for that matter any1 that is only a lap down should be able to get that lap back and call this wishful thinking but please bear with me is there anyway to have a push to pass type thing but rather a mod to engage say extra breaking performance for 5 times a lap ? cause please correct me if im wrong isnt tin top racing about getting the car down to speed before a corner rather then trying to carry as much speed as you can through? maybe something to engage abs breaking 5 times or something?
Old 3 Nov 2009, 13:48 (Ref:2574887)   #11
motofan
Racer

motofan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
also as a side note people are mentioning tyres, when the quotes/ bids where put in to be control tyre for v8s pirelli actually made an intermediate tyre that was betweent he two current dunlop compounds and was amuch better tyre however dunlop got the gigdue to the amount of money they where bringing just thought id share
Old 3 Nov 2009, 16:23 (Ref:2574999)   #12
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
Get rid of compulsory pit stops so you pit only if you need to - make some of the races longer so pitstops will be required.

Go back to the 1 round per weekend format - these qualifying sessions on both days are stupid - where you finish up on Saturday is where you start Sunday. Also get rid of the Top Ten Shootouts at every round, there's only 1 place they should occur and that's Bathurst.
Can't argue with any of that

I'd also free up the tyre rules abit, leave it up to the teams if they want to use the softer tyres or not (or if they want to use the soft tyres only) etc..
Old 3 Nov 2009, 19:40 (Ref:2575120)   #13
mmciau
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
mmciau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get rid of Compulsory Pit stops (CPS).

With the higher rate of fuel consumption, I don't think anyone can do full distance without a fuel stop.

Therefore leave it to each team to manage the race and let them program when they will do their fuel stops.

(and hide the keys to the Safety Car unless it is an absolute safety issue - not a contrived 'bunch the field' that we are continually getting now!)

Mike
Old 3 Nov 2009, 20:58 (Ref:2575159)   #14
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Go to a new category that incorporates more manufacturers including 4 cylinder turbos.
Old 3 Nov 2009, 22:44 (Ref:2575218)   #15
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The standard bodywork (minus guards and interior gutting modifications) with appropriate roll-cage design.

But it's too late to introduce, I know...
Old 3 Nov 2009, 22:53 (Ref:2575222)   #16
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Go to a new category that incorporates more manufacturers including 4 cylinder turbos.
Hear, hear. Also including rotaries

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 4 Nov 2009, 00:35 (Ref:2575267)   #17
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby View Post
The standard bodywork (minus guards and interior gutting modifications) with appropriate roll-cage design.

But it's too late to introduce, I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan View Post
Hear, hear. Also including rotaries
http://www.pcaa.com.au/

1. Stop changing rules every year in the name of cost cutting - changing rules COSTS MONEY
2. Take away pit stop windows/CPS but make the cars not have enough fuel to finish the races, let the teams choose when to pit
3. Have soft tyre available for every race
4. Keep championship drivers in their own cars at Enduros
Old 4 Nov 2009, 01:49 (Ref:2575291)   #18
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
1. Stop changing rules every year in the name of cost cutting - changing rules COSTS MONEY
Brad Jones or his brother said this. They changed to the Sequential gearbox and the teams had to increase there captial outlay to buy the new boxes and then try and off load the old one's. I'm told some parts carried over, but not all. Lets face it, any business knows that it's capital outlay thats a killer, especially when starting something new.

Quote:
2. Take away pit stop windows/CPS but make the cars not have enough fuel to finish the races, let the teams choose when to pit
Agreed!! They need to cut the size of the fuel tank. Maybe throw in there the old CART/Champcar rule of limit amount of fuel available for a race and that should make things interesting.

Quote:
3. Have soft tyre available for every race
Give them a soft tyre bank for the year, and make them manage it over the course of the season.

Quote:
4. Keep championship drivers in their own cars at Enduros
Don't know what it would achieve, but has been talked about on here a bit. Just give the co-drivers more time in the cars before hand thou.

I'd be up for a ban on testing at current series tracks. That way some of the otehr circuits that don't host the racing gets some income from VE$A teams and reduces any home track advantages.
Old 4 Nov 2009, 02:18 (Ref:2575304)   #19
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More cars at Bathurst and different race formats over the course of the year.
Also, bring back the 'Dash for cash'. That was awesome.
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 4 Nov 2009, 02:22 (Ref:2575306)   #20
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly13 View Post
More cars at Bathurst and different race formats over the course of the year.
This raises questions though, the easy way is just more wildcards for Fujitsu teams, but as you saw this year very few people have the budget to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly13 View Post
Also, bring back the 'Dash for cash'. That was awesome.
It was! But IMO top-10 shootout is better.

I'll throw up a new idea:

Aussie Racing car Pro/AM challenge, with cars liveried like the real racecars, with the actual driver + one ARC driver in each car.

Bit of a fantasy but how cool would be be with GT racing a HRT liveried ARC car racing Whincup in a 888-liveried?

You could stop the race and do a driver change in the middle to take the pressure off a driver change, be kinda like a relay race.

I guess I am harking back to the Renault 12 series, the Laser series and the Pulsar Series.
Old 4 Nov 2009, 02:36 (Ref:2575310)   #21
GMS144
Rookie

GMS144 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Push to Pass
Old 4 Nov 2009, 02:42 (Ref:2575313)   #22
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But imagine a 3-5 lap race between either th Top 6 or 10 drivers from qualifying on the sprint tyre.
OR even better, do it at the end of the day, just like Superliga (is that what it's called)? Bring back the format of all races being for points and the Top 6-10 cars with the most points over the weekend going into a 5-10 lap final on the sprint tyres.

I strongly support the idea of points for pole position as well.
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 4 Nov 2009, 03:48 (Ref:2575334)   #23
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
My ramblings

1) Ditch the CPS crap. Let the race be decided on the track- not the pits.

2) Some consistany with the Driving standards would be a welcome change.

3) Stop having some drivers declared a "protected species" and therefore the rules don't apply. The initals JW come to mind.

4) A move back to more production based racing, none of this "shorten the wheelbase" BS. We are periliously close to a stick on headlamps series as it is.

Caravan owners- a mark in your awning is NOT the end of the world.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 06:20 (Ref:2576117)   #24
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, and one thing I forgot to add in my post - A standard sized car number on every car, no fancy individual fonts, a standard sized black number on a white background.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 08:52 (Ref:2576186)   #25
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
or maybe Buckshot you just need to admit you need glasses