Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 22 Jul 2011, 22:48 (Ref:2929961)   #1
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 50 Worst Cars of All Time

Here is a list from 2007 about the 50 worst cars of all time from Time magazine. It's actually a pretty funny read. My favorite story has to be about the 1956 Renault Dauphine:

The most ineffective bit of French engineering since the Maginot Line, the Renault Dauphine was originally to be named the Corvette, tres ironie. It was, in fact, a rickety, paper-thin scandal of a car that, if you stood beside it, you could actually hear rusting. Its most salient feature was its slowness, a rate of acceleration you could measure with a calendar. It took the drivers at Road and Track 32 seconds to reach 60 mph, which would put the Dauphine at a severe disadvantage in any drag race involving farm equipment. The fact that the ultra-cheap, super-sketchy Dauphine sold over 2 million copies around the world is an index of how desperately people wanted cars. Any cars.

You can read the list here: http://www.time.com/time/specials/20...657686,00.html
Old 25 Jul 2011, 15:00 (Ref:2930928)   #2
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think it's only fair that a vast majority of them are American.

Although there are some stunning new 'worst' competitors from China.
Old 26 Jul 2011, 10:44 (Ref:2931257)   #3
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Surprised that Lada wasn't in this.
Old 26 Jul 2011, 17:04 (Ref:2931411)   #4
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Pontiac Aztec is still my favourite.

And an excuse to repeat the story...

Back in 2003, the President of Ford Motor Company was giving a corporate/client presentation on a rather plush boat moored up at a dock somewhere in Florida. He'd pre-arranged a little stunt with one of his flunkies. So, part way through the speech, the flunky steps up and hands him a piece of paper.

"Ok, ladies and gentlemen, the harbour master would like to know if the owners of a car parked on the harbour are in the room."

He then shows a picture of a Pontiac Aztec...

"It's not causing an obstruction or anything - he just wants to know what the **** it is."

Old 27 Jul 2011, 20:39 (Ref:2931913)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The Russian Moskvich took a bit of beating for being for being a crap car many moons ago.
I seem to remember that some of the brake pipes were an 'interference' fit into the master cylinder and not threaded ! mind you with the performance they had you didn't need brakes
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 28 Jul 2011, 03:45 (Ref:2931994)   #6
saddelbags
Rookie

saddelbags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seemed to have owend quite a lot of the cars on the list says a lot for my good tastes
Old 28 Jul 2011, 06:47 (Ref:2932018)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I actually rather liked the Renault Dauphine...

Probably because when I first went to work while at college, I worked in a shop where the female shop assistant owned a red Dauphine. She used to sometimes give me lifts home.

....and she wore the most incredibly short skirts.......
Old 28 Jul 2011, 07:41 (Ref:2932035)   #8
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post

....and she wore the most incredibly short skirts.......
Just like the secretary that was at my school, it changed my life forever, and thinking about it she was probably only about 19 years of age at the time
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 28 Jul 2011, 14:50 (Ref:2932123)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah Gordon, my 'lady' was very mature. I was 17 - she was 25!! And yes, it left a lasting impression on me too!
Old 22 Nov 2011, 06:50 (Ref:2989891)   #10
insane.nick
Rookie

India
Jaipur,India
insane.nick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In a first glance, I cant really consider these cars as "worst".. Been looking around for some vintage cars.. And I liked them better than the newer one's.. auto parts shop can always make then look better..
Old 24 Nov 2011, 10:51 (Ref:2990803)   #11
insane.nick
Rookie

India
Jaipur,India
insane.nick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

1899-1939
1899 Horsey Horseless
1909 Ford Model T
1911 Overland OctoAuto
1913 Scripps-Booth Bi-Autogo
1920 Briggs and Stratton Flyer
1933 Fuller Dymaxion
1934 Chrysler/Desoto Airflow
1940-1959
1949 Crosley Hotshot
1956 Renault Dauphine
1957 King Midget Model III
1957 Waterman Aerobile
1958 Ford Edsel
1958 Lotus Elite
1958 MGA Twin Cam
1958 Zunndapp Janus
1960-1974
1961 Amphicar
1961 Corvair
1966 Peel Trident
1970 AMC Gremlin
1970 Triumph Stag
1971 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron Two-Door Hardtop
1971 Ford Pinto
1974 Jaguar XK-E V12 Series III
1975-1989
1975 Bricklin SV1
1975 Morgan Plus 8 Propane
1975 Triumph TR7
1975 Trabant
1976 Aston Martin Lagonda
1976 Chevy Chevette
1978 AMC Pacer
1980 Corvette 305 "California"
1980 Ferrari Mondial 8
1981 Cadillac Fleetwood V-8-6-4
1981 De Lorean DMC-12
1982 Cadillac Cimarron
1982 Camaro Iron Duke
1984 Maserati Biturbo
1985 Mosler Consulier GTP
1985 Yugo GV
1986 Lamborghini LM002
1990-Present
1995 Ford Explorer
1997 GM EV1
1997 Plymouth Prowler
1998 Fiat Multipla
2000 Ford Excursion
2001 Jaguar X-Type
2001 Pontiac Aztek
2002 BMW 7-series
2003 Hummer H2

I think its the final list of worst cars....what do you think???
Old 26 Nov 2011, 11:53 (Ref:2991550)   #12
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
I think it shows how difficult it is to actually define "worst".

If I compiled my own list (and I'd have to be very bored) there's only a few on that list that would appear.
Old 26 Nov 2011, 11:57 (Ref:2991554)   #13
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
... and it's impossible to have list of the worst cars without the Austin Allegro.
Old 26 Nov 2011, 12:10 (Ref:2991556)   #14
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fascinating that some of the cars on here are actually quite good! The Multipla is a superb little car, even though it looks rather odd, actually does the job better than anything else!

And the Yugo is just a licence built Fiat? But then I wouldnt exzpect Time journalists to do their research, or would I?
Old 26 Nov 2011, 12:37 (Ref:2991562)   #15
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
... and it's impossible to have list of the worst cars without the Austin Allegro.
Although the Allegro does have the surely unique quality of behaving like a Weeble if you roll it.

At least my mate's did.

Twice.

Old 26 Nov 2011, 14:23 (Ref:2991588)   #16
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So wheres the Renault Vel Satis............. probably didn't sell enough to make the list !
Old 26 Nov 2011, 14:25 (Ref:2991590)   #17
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Although the Allegro does have the surely unique quality of behaving like a Weeble if you roll it.

At least my mate's did.

Twice.

It's also more aerodynamic going backwards rather than forwards ! In fact, BL must be high on the list of companies guilty of producing the largest range of dreadful cars !
Old 26 Nov 2011, 19:05 (Ref:2991666)   #18
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
As Garcon says "how do you define worst" ? in looks/ rubbish made/performance or what ? and of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder. otherwise we would all have the same box on wheels !
Although the Trabant must be high on the list as it's all three

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 26 Nov 2011 at 19:10.
Old 26 Nov 2011, 19:17 (Ref:2991673)   #19
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Wow!
Old 27 Nov 2011, 09:23 (Ref:2991850)   #20
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
It's [Austin Allegro] also more aerodynamic going backwards rather than forwards !
That's just a popular urban myth. Many cars are more aerodynamic going backwards, the Allegro is in no way unique in that respect.
Old 27 Nov 2011, 15:08 (Ref:2991952)   #21
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
That's just a popular urban myth. Many cars are more aerodynamic going backwards, the Allegro is in no way unique in that respect.
It's not a myth, it's a fact. However, you are right in saying that it's not the only car that's more aerodynamic going backwards.
Old 27 Nov 2011, 18:58 (Ref:2992058)   #22
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I mean 'myth' in that people quote it as if the Allegro is the only car that this applies to and that it is in some way a negative aspect of the car when neither is true.
Old 27 Nov 2011, 22:00 (Ref:2992173)   #23
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Well at least the old "aggro" was reliable and drove OK compared with some of the junk that has been made over the years
The Maxi was rubbish !