Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Jul 2012, 11:51 (Ref:3101280)   #26
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
Speculation about the anti-stall system could have kicked in?

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/n...testing-crash/
Evidence, if any was needed, that F1 cars should probably be fitted with self-starters (mandatory in 2014).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post

Whatever the detail this is a dreadful accident - and one which will make the issue of frontal cockpit protection come to the top of the attention pile again.
That too. But no 'knee-jerk', 'half arsed' measures, please.
Old 3 Jul 2012, 12:12 (Ref:3101295)   #27
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From the images it looks like a miscalculated turn which brought the car into contact with the raised loading platform. Given the level the platform was at then even at low speeds there is the potential for serious injury.

If that was even a moderate speed impact at that height then it would most likely produce a fatality.
Old 3 Jul 2012, 12:17 (Ref:3101298)   #28
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Thoughts and prayers for Maria for a full recovery from any injuries sustained.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 3 Jul 2012, 12:20 (Ref:3101302)   #29
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A few people on site have been posting what the saw on various forums. Apparently the car was stationary - with the engine running - in front of the truck. It's not clear what caused it, but somehow the anti-stall kicked in and the car lurched forward into the truck.
Old 3 Jul 2012, 12:28 (Ref:3101305)   #30
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
The actual incident was captured on audio and doesnt sound very nice at all.

Last edited by rich07; 3 Jul 2012 at 12:30. Reason: removed link
Old 3 Jul 2012, 13:20 (Ref:3101337)   #31
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
"It just suddenly accelerated again"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00vm8n1

Best wishes to Maria and her team
Old 3 Jul 2012, 13:33 (Ref:3101344)   #32
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00vm8n1

Best wishes to Maria and her team
There appears to be some solid information in that report from an eye witness. At this stage, it sounds very much like a freak accident, nevertheless, let's hope that lessons can be learnt from it so that nothing similar happens again. Right now though, all that's important is Maria's well being. Let's hope that it's not as serious as is being reported and that she can pull through and make a full recovery.
Old 3 Jul 2012, 13:35 (Ref:3101347)   #33
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've watched testing at Duxford before & haven't seen anything to make me worry about safety. The actual runway where the cars run is a long way from the 'paddock' area. This seems like just a freak accident so to speculate is just pointless. She's in good hands - Addenbrookes hospital has one of the best trauma units in the country. Get well soon Maria
Old 3 Jul 2012, 13:38 (Ref:3101349)   #34
amidst tundra
Racer

United Kingdom
Andover
amidst tundra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was a slow speed incident, there are pictures of her pulling in, it seems an engineer was running over to talk to her as she came to a stop before the car lurched forward.

If anything I'd say airfields were a better place to test straight line speed, because in the event of a stuck throttle or the myriad of potential disasters that could befall a car at high speeds there really isn't much to hit at all just miles of grass and tarmac. No armco's, pit walls, tire barriers etc. This was an unfortunate incident that happened to occur in close proximity to where the trucks were parked, however as someone who operates a fork lift I can't think of any reasonable excuse in having the tailboard down on the truck. If I let a trucker do that in my yard health and safety would come down on me like a ton of Styrofoam bricks.
Old 3 Jul 2012, 14:58 (Ref:3101388)   #35
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Things seem to be improving. Hopefully they will continue to do so.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100890
Old 3 Jul 2012, 15:02 (Ref:3101391)   #36
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's possible that the airfield location may be a red herring here. The lessons learnt may be in the area of the anti-stall system... which one would suspect should always fail safe rather than fail hazardously.

Some slightly better news here on Maria's condition.
Old 3 Jul 2012, 15:03 (Ref:3101392)   #37
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
Things seem to be improving. Hopefully they will continue to do so.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100890
Agreed.
Old 3 Jul 2012, 15:58 (Ref:3101412)   #38
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nasty sounding crash...

Hope she can get out this OK.
Old 3 Jul 2012, 16:21 (Ref:3101420)   #39
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well reports suggest she is awake now so looking better than earlier.
Old 3 Jul 2012, 16:54 (Ref:3101431)   #40
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wow, that was a freaking crash...
Old 3 Jul 2012, 17:25 (Ref:3101441)   #41
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
Very unfortunate accident but at least we're starting to see some good news coming from Marussia.

Apart from that however its important to look at the accident in the context from which it happened. Straight line aero testing limits the potential dangers but you cant erradicate all of the danger from even the seemingly mundane aspects of the sport.
Old 3 Jul 2012, 17:27 (Ref:3101443)   #42
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've nothing to say about the debate over the use of the location, I just want to wish Maria a full and speedy recovery.
Old 3 Jul 2012, 18:48 (Ref:3101468)   #43
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i wish her a speedy and full recovery.

as far as the accident goes i dont see why it has to be an either test here or dont race anywhere debate. obviously we dont know all or really any of the details yet but imo Peter is making a very valid comment.

if the teams all had more money and there were no restriction in place on when and where they can test then they would be testing on approved race tracks with all the support and safety staff that comes with that.

with restrictions and less money comes compromise, and if i am taking his point correctly, we should be hoping that saftey is not one of the things being compromised during tests conducted away from f1 grade race facilities and on an individual team basis.

i mean why they conducting the tests on an individual basis. certainly it stands to reason that there are more safety and medical personnel available when the teams do these things together. you cant prevent every accidents from happening but surely they are better prepared for them at actual race tracks and paddocks.
Old 3 Jul 2012, 19:08 (Ref:3101477)   #44
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was just an unfortunate, freak accident.

Lessons need to be learnt and measures put in place, but nobody needs to be held accountable in what was an unforeseen accident.

It sounds like she is making progress which is the main thing, and hopefully she is not badly disfigured as it was reported she sustained facial injuries. Get well soon I say.
Old 3 Jul 2012, 19:13 (Ref:3101479)   #45
amidst tundra
Racer

United Kingdom
Andover
amidst tundra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many race drivers have been killed at an airfield test and how many at a fully equipped racing circuit? I know the point is trite, but this was a freak accident, vilifying an certain type of test facility simply trivializes an accident so some armchair pundits can assert how much more knowledgeable they are about the industry.
Old 3 Jul 2012, 21:48 (Ref:3101547)   #46
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Best wishes to her after this freak accident.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 00:30 (Ref:3101604)   #47
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nothing conclusive at this stage: http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...2/7/13525.html
Old 4 Jul 2012, 06:31 (Ref:3101677)   #48
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The only one of note that I can recall wasn't in F1, it was Richard Hammond's accident in the Vampire jet car.

I don't think the venue, nor the location of the pits/paddock/team area is the thing that should take the brunt of the finger pointing here. IF (and thats a big if) the investigation by the H&S executive finds the cause of the accident was unintended acceleration, either through driver error or software malfunction, then the result would have been similar, just in another venue like Catalunya's pitlane or Bernie's Paul Ricard playground - car making contact something solid, most likely to be a pit garage or pitwall. Yes, because the car struck a taillift on a truck, this is the situation that has happened. If it was up, the car may have missed it, it may have hit the rear of the car. The venue, nor the activity of the day is the cause of the accident.

I agree it is about minimising risks, but driving anything high powered with a vicious clutch is going to be difficult (speaking of which, I though anti stall just pulled the clutch in, not let it out?).
Old 4 Jul 2012, 07:43 (Ref:3101698)   #49
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
A further thought is that even if the tail lift had been out of the way, the car would still have hit the bar on the back of the truck designed to stop road cars from submarining underneath - still a bad height for an F1 car.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 08:07 (Ref:3101712)   #50
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
From ivanF1 on Twitter:

Quote:
#F1 RFEA president Mr. Gracia confirms Maria de Villota has been moved to a London hospital for an operation on a fractured skull