Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 9 Apr 2013, 19:12 (Ref:3231651)   #1
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
First BTB track in a long, long time...

Ok, so this is my first track in a long, long time.

I kind of use Brands Hatch and Donington as an influence. It's not meant to be up to F1 standards.

It's anti-clockwise, 24 turns (If I remember correctly), 7.2KM.

Cheers!

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
mnt feris.jpg  
Old 9 Apr 2013, 19:36 (Ref:3231659)   #2
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I like a number of the pieces of this one.

I think that you should look at doing something different for that tight chicane, and the 90, right-hander after it. Also, the straight after the carousel on the left end, as well as the straight following the hairpin in the lower right, should both be curved. And if you do those, it might also make sense to add a bit of a curve to the straight leading to the hairpin also.

I'm not going to ask you to move the paddock, but with it being that shade, it's difficult for me to pick up the outline of the track for that portion of the lap where it goes around that area.

That whole top side though, along with the few other high-speed corners, just looks wild. Good job!
Old 9 Apr 2013, 20:06 (Ref:3231678)   #3
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks man!

I'm just about to post an on-board which will give you a better look at the circuit.

Selby
Old 9 Apr 2013, 20:47 (Ref:3231703)   #4
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
http://youtu.be/z9iLWk7ztBw

Here's an onboard with a voiceover by myself!

Selby
Old 9 Apr 2013, 22:46 (Ref:3231755)   #5
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great track. Loved the esses, they look very technical, I would like to have a crack at this track.

Also, the voiceover was great, real enthusiasm!
Old 9 Apr 2013, 22:52 (Ref:3231756)   #6
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
haha Thanks a lot!

I've done some voiceover work before, so i'm pretty comfortable having a bit of fun with it!

I'll upload the track once it's done so people can use it for rFactor if they wish.

Selby
Old 10 Apr 2013, 08:23 (Ref:3231865)   #7
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I like a number of the pieces of this one.

I think that you should look at doing something different for that tight chicane, and the 90, right-hander after it. Also, the straight after the carousel on the left end, as well as the straight following the hairpin in the lower right, should both be curved. And if you do those, it might also make sense to add a bit of a curve to the straight leading to the hairpin also.
That would leave the track with one straight.

I'm not sure about that.

bio
Old 10 Apr 2013, 08:26 (Ref:3231866)   #8
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKGThunder View Post
Great track. Loved the esses, they look very technical, I would like to have a crack at this track.

Also, the voiceover was great, real enthusiasm!
Yeah - made me consider giving a voiceover for my future lap vids, too

Easy, just kidding But, indeed, it is a great "tool" to further convey the ideas behind the track.

bio
Old 10 Apr 2013, 08:31 (Ref:3231869)   #9
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
http://youtu.be/z9iLWk7ztBw

Here's an onboard with a voiceover by myself!

Selby
Cool stuff!

Is this rFactor 1 or 2? I suspect 1. Also, which mod are you using?

(Oh, and now that I've managed to salvage my stuff from my previous PC, I've got my full XPack set - at least all the ones that can be used for F1 tracks, so that exclude some of the strictly rally XPacks - but include many of those that seem to have disappeared from the Internet since Racingdepartment.com removed their download section. Message me if you need any.)
Old 10 Apr 2013, 08:33 (Ref:3231870)   #10
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thumbs up bigtime! That track is a blast to drive on. When racing high downforce cars overtaking might be difficult though, and I think a little more runoff is needed at the northeastern corner.
Old 10 Apr 2013, 16:27 (Ref:3232065)   #11
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
werner - Yep, i'd agree with that mate. I'll probably push the run-off back for that turn! Or I might have an optional chicane added just before it to slow it down.

bio - Yes, yes, and yes! I'd love some more Xpacks man. If you could upload them and give me the link, that'd be fantastic.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Selby
Old 10 Apr 2013, 17:52 (Ref:3232104)   #12
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
werner - Yep, i'd agree with that mate. I'll probably push the run-off back for that turn! Or I might have an optional chicane added just before it to slow it down.

bio - Yes, yes, and yes! I'd love some more Xpacks man. If you could upload them and give me the link, that'd be fantastic.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Selby
Send me a screenshot of which XPacks you have, OK?

... and, which rFactor mod are you using then?

bio
Old 10 Apr 2013, 18:00 (Ref:3232109)   #13
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Selby, I was merely trying to suggest what seemed in keeping with the best parts of the circuit: the esses and carousels, primarily of the upper portion of the track.

As for those suggestions leaving just one straight, well, Road America only has the one, substantial, true straightaway, and it hasn't suffered for that.

I see a couple of particular advantages to making the straight out of the carousel at the left end into a lazy curve. One, it opens up the following turn, which I think it would be better if it was flat, or close to it; it could be like "the Kink" at Elkhart Lake. That would make overtaking into the chicane, or any tighter corner there, much more achievable. Also, opening that up a bit would put less of a squeeze on the run-off for the first carousel (the right-hander), and might allow a path through to have infield access to the inside of the second carousel (the left-hander).

BTW, what are you planning to do with regards to pit lane?
Old 10 Apr 2013, 18:19 (Ref:3232118)   #14
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
As for those suggestions leaving just one straight, well, Road America only has the one, substantial, true straightaway, and it hasn't suffered for that.
True - but I'd think it's for a reason that most tracks have several straight sections.

bio
Old 10 Apr 2013, 19:13 (Ref:3232146)   #15
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The video is amazing. Thank you for posting it. The track looks like it's great fun on that racesim.
Old 10 Apr 2013, 19:36 (Ref:3232163)   #16
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Bio, it's the simplest way to do it, especially with a more formal design regimen in place now. It's also not surprising if you're laying it out initially on graph paper or a grid form on a computer screen.

Selby, I watched the video again, just to be sure. That chicane is definitely more compact than the final complex at Istanbul, and I have my doubts about there being any real ability to go through those turns side-by-side at speed.

And don't be glum about my comments. I quite like probably 75-80% of the circuit as it is. I just want the whole thing to be as good as I think it can be.

Last edited by Purist; 10 Apr 2013 at 19:45.
Old 11 Apr 2013, 13:32 (Ref:3232506)   #17
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Yeh mate, I appreciate it a lot! Don't worry, I haven't taken anything as a negative

I massively appreciate the time people put in to commenting, giving their thoughts, advice, and general feedback.

Really glad you guys enjoyed it as much as I do. I hadn't made anything in a very long time. I just wanted to go for something ruthlessly fast and challenging.

As you can see, I struggle to put a genuinely fast lap together, which is a good thing!

It's actually pretty hard to change the track layout after putting all the terrain in, Purist. But I might make another version and give it a go.

So, just to clarify:

*Change the long final straight kink to a longer/easier corner (so it's not so much like say, 130R)?
*Open out the final Istanbul section?

Bio, will send you a PM now my good man.

Selby
Old 11 Apr 2013, 18:27 (Ref:3232630)   #18
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Selby, that sounds about right.

The 130R though is a rather long, flowing corner, which F1 cars can take flat-out.

Admittedly, from the recording, it's difficult to tell just how quick your corner could be, because of the right wheels edging onto the grass on entry, and then completely missing the apex.

This should be quite a good one to have a proper look around when it's entirely fleshed out. Cheers.
Old 11 Apr 2013, 19:59 (Ref:3232670)   #19
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
haha Yeh, it was a really bad line I took. It's just so hard to get a genuinely quick full lap there.

I have taken it unbelievably fast before though. I just shifted down to 6th then threw it in and somehow made it stick. Got ever so slightly sideways!

Selby
Old 14 Apr 2013, 13:40 (Ref:3233976)   #20
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
SpeedingTortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks really good. Have to agree with Purist and say the chicane is too tight but i look forward to see what you do to change it. Apart from that I wouldnt change a thing. Its fast, got a great variety of corners and a few overtaking opportunities.