Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 16 Feb 2014, 19:40 (Ref:3369136)   #1
racemech
Rookie

United Kingdom
racemech should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1989 Firestone Production Car Champ.

Hi All,

I'd like to know if anyone has any info/pics of the 1989 Firestone Production Car championship?

I also don't think there is any 'official' footage of this year either?

Thanks in advance,
racemech.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 08:46 (Ref:3369283)   #2
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
This is the series that was production based with road tyres wheras the Esso series ran to Grp N running slicks is that right?
Old 17 Feb 2014, 10:29 (Ref:3369306)   #3
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a number of the rounds result sheets which came with my car.

There is video of the Willhire 25 round.

There are also a good number of images in the LAT archive.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 21:25 (Ref:3369469)   #4
racemech
Rookie

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
This is the series that was production based with road tyres wheras the Esso series ran to Grp N running slicks is that right?
Hi Chunterer,

Yes, that's correct. The Esso series started in 1990, and ran as the 'Esso Saloon Car Championship, but in 1991 switched to the Esso Superlube Saloon car championship. Both Gp. N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relativtortoise View Post
I have a number of the rounds result sheets which came with my car.

There is video of the Willhire 25 round.

There are also a good number of images in the LAT archive.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I'd be interested to know which results sheets your have. Yes, I have the Willhire video from '89. Although I think that was a Uniroyal championship round?

I'd also be very interested to hear how to access the LAT archive. I did email them a few months ago with regards to another car I was researching. But I didn't receive a reply, perhaps I sent it to the in-correct dept. or something. I provided a lot of details so that shouldn't of been an issue.

Thanks,
racemech.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 21:39 (Ref:3369476)   #5
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I have the 91 season on tape. It was produced by Virgin, who also did BTCC 1988-90 among others.
Old 17 Feb 2014, 21:53 (Ref:3369486)   #6
relativtortoise
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by racemech View Post
Hi Chunterer,

Yes, that's correct. The Esso series started in 1990, and ran as the 'Esso Saloon Car Championship, but in 1991 switched to the Esso Superlube Saloon car championship. Both Gp. N.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I'd be interested to know which results sheets your have. Yes, I have the Willhire video from '89. Although I think that was a Uniroyal championship round?

I'd also be very interested to hear how to access the LAT archive. I did email them a few months ago with regards to another car I was researching. But I didn't receive a reply, perhaps I sent it to the in-correct dept. or something. I provided a lot of details so that shouldn't of been an issue.

Thanks,
racemech.
I've got Firestone Prod Saloon Champ official results for Thruxton 28/8, Donington 25/6 & Oulton 24/3 - which car are you interested in?

I also have a raft of the Uniroyal results from Donington BH, Snett & Silverstone.

What is the difference between Uniroyal and Firestone rounds? - I confess I do not know.

Use a PM ref LAT
Old 18 Feb 2014, 08:44 (Ref:3369609)   #7
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Uniroyal series was earlier, that along with Monroe were for production saloons running treaded tyres.

Firestone effectively replaced Monroe as sponsor of the BARC series but continued as production spec with treaded rubber and Esso replaced Uniroyal sponsoring the BRSCC series but running to slightly freeer Group N regs with slicks. I think?

I'm also interested in accessing LAT for some Group 1 Gordon Spice inages.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 15:28 (Ref:3369756)   #8
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've a photo of the Spice Mini in Oulton Park paddock in I think 1968 if you want that.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 15:49 (Ref:3369763)   #9
relativtortoise
Racer

Quote:
Uniroyal series was earlier, that along with Monroe were for production saloons running treaded tyres.

Firestone effectively replaced Monroe as sponsor of the BARC series but continued as production spec with treaded rubber and Esso replaced Uniroyal sponsoring the BRSCC series but running to slightly freeer Group N regs with slicks. I think?
The Uniroyal and Firestone series definitely ran in parallel in '89 and what confused me was that my car ran in both that year.

The Firestone rounds were as above and the Uniroyal rounds which I also have results sheets for were Silverstone 27/3 & 1/5 Snetterton 17 & 18/6 (Willhire 25) Donington 16/4 and Brands Hatch 19/3
Old 18 Feb 2014, 15:59 (Ref:3369767)   #10
relativtortoise
Racer

Picture being worth 1000 words - here are the results of the two series in '89

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73418350@N08/12615216924/
Old 18 Feb 2014, 16:42 (Ref:3369779)   #11
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by relativtortoise View Post
The Uniroyal and Firestone series definitely ran in parallel in '89 and what confused me was that my car ran in both that year.

The Firestone rounds were as above and the Uniroyal rounds which I also have results sheets for were Silverstone 27/3 & 1/5 Snetterton 17 & 18/6 (Willhire 25) Donington 16/4 and Brands Hatch 19/3
The Uniroyal and Firestone series did run in parallel in 1989. They were called the 'Uniroyal Tyres Production Saloons' and the 'Firestone Production Saloons'. I understood that both series ran on road tyres [albeit buffed to 1mm]. The 'Esso Superlube Saloons' came about later and ran to Group N spec... but are you sure they were running slicks/wets ? I went to so many of those Esso events and for the life of me can't remember now.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 22:10 (Ref:3369885)   #12
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Thanks davy I thought Uniroyal backing ended in '88!
Esso defo ran slicks to Grp.N regs but a few people did do both as relativtortoise suggests.
I'm now wondering if the Esso series was actually organised by BRDC?
Old 18 Feb 2014, 23:22 (Ref:3369910)   #13
racemech
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hi All,

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
I understood that both series ran on road tyres [albeit buffed to 1mm]. The 'Esso Superlube Saloons' came about later and ran to Group N spec... but are you sure they were running slicks/wets ? I went to so many of those Esso events and for the life of me can't remember now.
Yes cars ran on slicks/wets predominantly Dunlop's, but I think a couple of people, notably the Sierra Cosworth of Grahame Davis ran Hoosier's.

Quote:
Thanks davy I thought Uniroyal backing ended in '88!
Esso defo ran slicks to Grp.N regs but a few people did do both as relativtortoise suggests.
I'm now wondering if the Esso series was actually organised by BRDC?
Yes, I as far as I'm aware, it was organised by the BRDC. But obviously the '90 & '91 'Esso' Willhire 24hr races as with all the other Willhire's, were also organised by the BRSCC too.

Cheers for now,
racemech.
Old 24 Jun 2015, 22:48 (Ref:3553739)   #14
DarrenH
Rookie

DarrenH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 25 Jun 2015, 12:41 (Ref:3553859)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenH View Post
Lanfranchi pre Monorep livery or is that Joss Ronchetti?

The Golf following, is that either Nick Baughan or Roger Jones, not sure?
Old 25 Jun 2015, 17:37 (Ref:3553916)   #16
DarrenH
Rookie

DarrenH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ronchetti i believe
Old 19 Jul 2015, 22:13 (Ref:3559605)   #17
racemech
Rookie

United Kingdom
Quote:
Lanfranchi pre Monorep livery or is that Joss Ronchetti?

The Golf following, is that either Nick Baughan or Roger Jones, not sure?
Hi All.

Obviously Uniroyal cars, not Firestone as the thread.

But... The Golf I think is James Latham. As for the Astra, I will have to find some result sheets.

Cheers,
racemech.