Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Feb 2016, 12:14 (Ref:3614812)   #1
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Using HANS (aka Frontal Head Restraint, FHR)

I officiated at a stage rally last weekend. This year, most people in motor sport now have to wear and use a HANS device or similar (FHR), and this was the first event I had been on where that has been true. It became painfully obvious that many drivers and co-drivers were in the same boat.

My Rescue crew leader first noticed that a co-driver's helmet strap was not attached to his HANS, so we had a look at the next car's crew - and their straps were undone too! And another, and another, until we asked the Stage Commander to help, as we were holding the stage up. We were on Stage 3, not the very first, and by the time the field had gone through, we had found at least 20% of the crews weren't using their FHRs correctly. I'm sure that this was due to inexperience, as this was first rally of the year for most of them.

Drivers of 'historic' cars are not obliged to wear a HANS, pre-1968 for rallies, pre-1977 for circuits, Sprints and Hill Climbs (https://www.msauk.or...fhrguidance.pdf) but even so, I would urge you to do so. And I would be even more eager that you wear it properly! Get someone to check it for you, before you get in, and then after you are seated, at least for your first event!

John
Old 15 Feb 2016, 12:58 (Ref:3614817)   #2
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I started wearing one last year and had 2 incidents that came about through unfamiliarity even though I'd rehearsed putting it on several times.

First, I'd been determined to fit it without assistance so I would get used to doing it on my own and was so intent on doing it that I forgot to fasten the chin strap, only noticed when the race was over. Next time out I inadvertently unclipped one of the quick-release straps while fiddling with my collar - this was a pain to clip back on with gloves on while the rest of the field gridded up, if it hadn't clicked in at the last moment it would probably have been safer to unclip the other side as well.

Best to let someone else do it for you, and don't fiddle with it!
Old 15 Feb 2016, 13:18 (Ref:3614820)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I was competing in a rally this weekend (2nd time using HANS), I noticed that the crew servicing next to us came back into service and there was an 'oops' observation as the co-driver hadn't connected the HANS to the helmet so there is an element of 'newness' trouble to it. Mine hadn't quite latched on properly on one occasion but I noticed that when I managed to turn my head ok when I went to shut the door. They're a lot easier to clip on when you're sat in the car and belted in than when you're sat at home on the sofa practicing clipping it on and unclipping it

I also still find it uncomfortable - once we're on a stage it's mostly ok, the only time I notice it is when I try and look over my shoulder to see if merges are clear - I can't see behind me anywhere near as well. It's a real pain at time controls though - again I can't turn my head far enough so I'm left waving my timecard at someone I can't quite see. I also end the day with an aching neck now, something I've never suffered with before. I suppose in terms of safety it's a step forward but in terms of comfort and practicality it leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 15 Feb 2016, 15:38 (Ref:3614844)   #4
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Following our observations on the rally to which JohnD refers above, I have sent a note about the training/familiarity issues which this reflects to the MSA (and the Safety Officers for the next couple of rallies which we are doing).

Regards

Jim
Old 15 Feb 2016, 19:21 (Ref:3614906)   #5
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Add pit stop rain dances outside the car the car in other historic series and you can see how issues arise..

Formula 1 was where FHR's were developed for and whilst undoubtedly they offer safety and protection they should also be considered in the round…

I am thankful that I still can choose not to wear one in my tidgy little historic car which has a v small cockpit. limited strap room, marginal seat space, no side protection…etc etc

I think when you are safely strapped into a car for the entirety of a race then thats one thing but again in my opinion blindly applying the same rules to other competitors doing other disciplines won't always necessarily amount to a good thing.

It shows that you cannot always mandate the rules for everyone..An FHR won't always offer better protection in certain types of cars. It is a system which has to be carefully designed around all the other safety systems…

Its making a fair few quid for the safety industry this year though!!
Old 15 Feb 2016, 20:19 (Ref:3614928)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I can see rally drivers and co drivers having more trouble with FHRs, as they tend to remove helmets after every stage and put them back on again at start of next one. And they would usually only have each other to help make sure tethers are fitted correctly. All that would add up to considerably increasing the chances of faulty fitment? In a driver change race, IMO the danger is when the second driver isn't ready before the car arrives, and rushes to get kitted up. Pit lane marshals will no doubt be monitoring FHRs are correctly fitted before car moves off, same as they do belts. Luckily, they aren't compulsory for many of us yet, so still time to learn from the early adopters!

Having helped a few drivers connect their tethers, I soon discovered they are not all the same, and just like assisting with belt adjustment during a driver change, it needs practice.....

Old 15 Feb 2016, 21:12 (Ref:3614949)   #7
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My experience over the last year - my first wearing HANS, has been that the marshalls in the assembly area have been checking drivers have connected tethers. I know as I forgot early on in the season. I reckon that it becomes second nature as you become accustomed to wearing it. No different to belting yourself in - its just part of the routine.

Certainly adds to the challenge of driver changes but having worn it for a season you get used to it. Having seen some in car footage of a rallying off where the driver wasn't wearing one and the co-pilot was I'm a convert. The driver couldn't support his head after the impact and had to be assisted by his co-driver. Motorsport is dangerous, we make choices.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 10:02 (Ref:3615061)   #8
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I can see rally drivers and co drivers having more trouble with FHRs, as they tend to remove helmets after every stage and put them back on again at start of next one. And they would usually only have each other to help make sure tethers are fitted correctly. All that would add up to considerably increasing the chances of faulty fitment?
Removing the helmet after a stage isn't really a problem - it's easy enough to unclip the helmet from the HANS device and remove it whilst you're still belted in. Once the helmet is off I can then turn unrestricted to put the helmet in the box behind the seats out of the way. The HANS device just stays in place until I get out of the car - if I'm in the car the HANS device is on. When you put the helmet back on and attach the tethers they do make a distinctive noise when they correctly lock in place - I find it a lot easier to attach the tethers to the helmet once I'm in the car and got the belts on. The main problem with the HANS is restricted movement - I can't turn to talk to the marshals at the time control and they're always stood just too far back (not their fault - the door is in the way!). I used to be able to turn far enough to make eye contact and chat - can't do that now - I'm not being rude, I just can't see you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGT6 View Post
I reckon that it becomes second nature as you become accustomed to wearing it. No different to belting yourself in - its just part of the routine.
I'd agree with this - we've done two days of rallying now with the HANS and it's just become part of the 'getting ready for a stage' process. I guess it might be slightly different for circuit racers - if they do qualifying and 2 races then that's putting it on 3 times possibly over the course of 2 days, we do 8+ stages a day so go through the 'put it on, take it off' process a few more times.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 12:57 (Ref:3615091)   #9
Gary Milgrom
Rookie

Canada
Atlanta GA
Gary Milgrom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Disclaimer: I work for HANS Performance Products, inventors and marketers of the HANS device FHR. HANS is owned by Simpson Performance Products, who invented and market the Hybrid FHR. Thank you for the opportunity of posting in this forum.

Thank you for reporting these incidents. I attach two links below, these should download the user manuals that come with HANS and Hybrid FHRs. If these do not answer your questions on using your FHR please feel free to contact me directly. FHR's are important parts of your safety equipment and can reduce injury or even save your life when used properly. Please take a few moments to familiarize yourself with these instructions.

Instruction Manuals
HANS Instruction Manual
Hybrid Instruction Manual

Thank you,
Gary Milgrom, VP
HANS Performance Products
info (at) hansdevice (dot) com
gmilgrom (at) teamsimpson (dot) com
Old 16 Feb 2016, 13:46 (Ref:3615098)   #10
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you for your post Gary.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 14:00 (Ref:3615101)   #11
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Thank you for your post Gary.
Yep - but I'm not sure about drilling holes in helmets to fit your own HANS posts!
Old 16 Feb 2016, 14:07 (Ref:3615103)   #12
Gary Milgrom
Rookie

Canada
Atlanta GA
Thanks Bert. I know the FIA has guidelines in Europe for manufacturers to fit the anchors, but in Canada/USA we allow customers to do it themselves. We've found most race shops and many drivers have extensive technical experience and drilling a 6mm hole in the right place is easy for them. Similar holes are drilled for drinks bottles, radios etc. Let me know if you need any specific instruction on your application.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 14:29 (Ref:3615111)   #13
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Milgrom View Post
Thanks Bert. I know the FIA has guidelines in Europe for manufacturers to fit the anchors, but in Canada/USA we allow customers to do it themselves. We've found most race shops and many drivers have extensive technical experience and drilling a 6mm hole in the right place is easy for them. Similar holes are drilled for drinks bottles, radios etc. Let me know if you need any specific instruction on your application.
I'm pretty sure the MSA don't allow 'home drilled' holes in helmets. I bought a new Stilo helmet with pre-fitted posts at the end of last year (my old helmet couldn't be used from this year onwards anyway) so I'm ok for now
Old 16 Feb 2016, 14:51 (Ref:3615118)   #14
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I'm pretty sure the MSA don't allow 'home drilled' holes in helmets. I bought a new Stilo helmet with pre-fitted posts at the end of last year (my old helmet couldn't be used from this year onwards anyway) so I'm ok for now
yep, yet another example of how the MSA makes life more difficult for us, instead of acting on our behalf and to our benefit....
Old 16 Feb 2016, 16:27 (Ref:3615142)   #15
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSA
Can I fit helmet tether anchorages myself?

For helmets approved in accordance with FIA standards 8858-2010, 8859-2015 and 8860-2010 and for Snell SAH2010 and SA2015 standards for MSA NATIONAL EVENTS ONLY*, the anchorages can be fitted by anyone. If you are unsure as to how to fit the helmet tether anchorages, please refer to the helmet manufacturer or agent for advice.

For helmets approved in accordance with FIA 8858-2002 and 8860-2004 the anchorages may only be fitted under the supervision of the manufacturer or their appointed agent. The FIA label is applied to the helmet to confirm that the anchorages have been fitted by the manufacturer or their appointed agent. It is not possible retrospectively to fit anchorage posts to helmets approved as compatible with FIA 8858-2002.
So it looks as if the MSA are OK with this but not the FIA?

And for so long as there are (quite a lot of) people who tried to use their setup with the HANS above the belts, I personally would not let them anywhere near a helmet with a drill.

Regards

Jim
Old 16 Feb 2016, 17:00 (Ref:3615151)   #16
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mmmmmmm, David. The MSA has been profligate with our money (FIA Rainlights anyone?) or over cautious (fuel sampling taps for all?) but in this case.....
Jim's comment agrees with my personal experience, of finding that my rather new helmet was not one of those that the manufacturers have made "FHR-ready".
My fault, but means I'm saving up for the whole kit, when I should be an early adopter, even though I race a historic.

Gary,
as I don't have an FHR yet, and so no manual to read (I could read the links you posted, but the Horse's Mouth and all that), two questions.
How much side to side rotation of the head should be possible? Enough for eye-to-eye cionatct, or not?
And, should a co-driver be easily able to look down and read their pace notes?

John

Last edited by JohnD; 16 Feb 2016 at 17:06.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 17:10 (Ref:3615157)   #17
Gary Milgrom
Rookie

Canada
Atlanta GA
John, taking your last point first, you should be able to touch the chin of your helmet to your chest. That may seem counter-intuitive (in that the head seems to be moving too far) but believe me that's how they work. I'm not sure if that will allow a co-driver to see their notes.

Regarding side to side vision, if you have an older HANS or other brand with fixed tethers, your vision is restricted. I'd guess you have about 30 degrees in each direction (L+R), just enough to see your side mirrors. However the newer (since about 2005) "sliding tether" system allows much more motion, you should have full 45 degrees each side (90 degrees total) and almost no restriction on turning your head.

Tethers can be bought in 1" shorter and longer than usual if that helps fine tune your vision. Longer tethers are not less safe because of the way the HANS moves in a frontal impact. Hopefully there's an image showing this with my post - it moves rearward compared to your torso (it's locked by friction to the belts while your body moves underneath them) and automatically takes up the tether slack. Only the HANS behaves this way.
Schroth With Without HANS 800px by garymilgrom, on Flickr[/IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/zftGhy]Schroth Withttp://www.flickr.com/photos/14443672@N03/]garymilgrom[/IMG] https://flic.kr/p/zftGhy

Last edited by Gary Milgrom; 16 Feb 2016 at 17:13. Reason: Add photo (second try)
Old 16 Feb 2016, 17:34 (Ref:3615164)   #18
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
My take as well. Without referring to the MSA blue book, pretty sure in the UK it is not acceptable to drill holes in a crash hat. It was always the rule bfore FHRs, to stop people drilling holes for intercoms and comms....

Fitting posts into a helmet supplied ready to accept them is a different matter.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 17:55 (Ref:3615178)   #19
JohnD
Veteran

Thanks, Gary, most helpful!
John
Old 16 Feb 2016, 18:17 (Ref:3615184)   #20
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I don't know if anyone noticed this in the latest MSA news, It's about tether and helmet HANS lug compatibility https://issuu.com/motorsportsassocia...news_71_0215/1 Page 12
Old 16 Feb 2016, 18:26 (Ref:3615189)   #21
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yep - but I'm not sure about drilling holes in helmets to fit your own HANS posts!
I know of one person who got his brother to drill the holes for him to make sure they were in the right place. The reason he needed someone else to drill the holes was that he was wearing it when they did it.

I suspect a frontal impact isn't the thing he most needs protecting from...
Old 16 Feb 2016, 18:56 (Ref:3615201)   #22
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
yep, yet another example of how the MSA makes life more difficult for us, instead of acting on our behalf and to our benefit....
Apologies - for MSA read FIA....
Old 16 Feb 2016, 19:52 (Ref:3615226)   #23
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I don't know if anyone noticed this in the latest MSA news, It's about tether and helmet HANS lug compatibility https://issuu.com/motorsportsassocia...news_71_0215/1 Page 12
I know someone got pulled up on this at scrutineering on Saturday - tethers were not the right spec for the helmet posts. They fitted fine but the spec wasn't right so not an allowable combo.

As far as reading my notes goes I don't find it a problem - I can look down well enough to see them fine. It's just looking over my shoulder I can't do.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 19:53 (Ref:3615227)   #24
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you buy SAH2010 or SA2015 I think that both have the threads fitted even if you don't buy the posts. Fitting those is so easy that even, well, *I* can do it.
Old 16 Feb 2016, 20:44 (Ref:3615243)   #25
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Milgrom View Post
John, taking your last point first, you should be able to touch the chin of your helmet to your chest. That may seem counter-intuitive (in that the head seems to be moving too far) but believe me that's how they work. I'm not sure if that will allow a co-driver to see their notes.
Whether you,ve got a FHR on or not, your chin can't go any further so the ability to read notes will be unaffected! An open face helmet would allow more movement however.