Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 26 Mar 2007, 05:11 (Ref:1876420)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
World Record Price for Ford Falcon?

Auction Result Here

To quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonhams and Goodmans Auction website
Hammer Price: $605,000
Price IBP: $683,650
In Aussie dollars admittedly.

A$683k would buy you 22 and a bit brand new base model Ford Falcons.. or a brand new Falcon V8Supercar and some cash for engines and spares.

Amazing money!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 26 Mar 2007, 07:17 (Ref:1876450)   #2
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you suggesting the car isn't worth that?

Because its only worth what someone will pay for it.

Even Genuine SLRs or XU1s are still fetching good money, well over the newest model (obviously the commodores is the closest thing to a torry) is today.

Obviously they'd have to be in immaculate original condition, but even a genuine Walkinshaw (little bit newer, but same historics) is still getting more than new. I remember seeing one at auction a few months ago, and the reserve was 'offers over $50,000'.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 07:17 (Ref:1876451)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can I move this to Classics please? Oh, I have.
Old 26 Mar 2007, 07:54 (Ref:1876476)   #4
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To put it in perspective, it's worth noting that at the same auction a 3 1/2 Litre Bentley done up to Old Mother Gun specs sold for AUS$480k, to a buyer in the Netherlands.

I have also heard a rumour that the one-and-only production GTHO Phase IV might be for sale, for $2.2million
Old 26 Mar 2007, 10:03 (Ref:1876567)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Can I move this to Classics please? Oh, I have.
Sorry boss

The car is Here also with a lot more pics

No way it is worth that kind of $$, not without provenance of a racing history or something of historic value!
Old 26 Mar 2007, 12:54 (Ref:1876683)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
bargain !!!

you could build one from scratch for half the price probably.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 06:10 (Ref:1877332)   #7
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
No way it is worth that kind of $$, not without provenance of a racing history or something of historic value!
That's your opinion, obviously there were at least 2 people participating in the auction who thought it is! There can only be a handful of Phase 3's with less than 25,000 miles on the clock.

The fact there were only 300 made to begin with, and they were the pinnacle of the Australian supercar not only at the time but for another 2 decades means every single one has historic value.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 16:35 (Ref:1877767)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In sterling, that is over £281,000. Very strong money, but I guess John's last sentence above, goes a long way to explaining why!
Old 29 Mar 2007, 00:30 (Ref:1878835)   #9
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
They are claimed to be the fastest four door cars in the world at the time, and from what information I can find it is correct. The only possible opposition would be US Highway Patrol cars but they seem to top out around the 140mph mark so there would not be much in it. The Phase III would do 142mph on the rev limiter, remove it and they would do 155 reportedly. The official, rev-limited speed is equal to, or better than the Mercedes 300SEL 6.3, Jaguar XJ12 S1, Montiverdi, De Tomaso Deauville and Maserati Quattroporte which are all around the 140mph bracket.
Old 2 Apr 2007, 06:55 (Ref:1881712)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
All of which can be bettered by a BMW M5 for A$226k and still have A$400k+ left over to buy a garage to put it in!
Old 2 Apr 2007, 08:22 (Ref:1881769)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, but you are not talking contemporary cars here are you GTR, whereas I think John is. The first M5 came out around 1985, I believe.
Old 2 Apr 2007, 11:19 (Ref:1881874)   #12
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
All of which can be bettered by a BMW M5 for A$226k and still have A$400k+ left over to buy a garage to put it in!
And in a couple of years time the M5 is worth $100k less and the GTHO $100k more... Don't M5's have a speed limiter anyway?

If you're comparing current day cars, less than $70k will buy an FPV Typhoon and some fairly minor modifications that will see over 350kW at the wheels, and a low 11-sec quarter mile time in street trim. Not to mention remove the speed limiter.

Geez Ferrari 250 GTOs must be worthless too because a Honda NSX will go faster?
Old 5 Apr 2007, 18:31 (Ref:1884331)   #13
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think I would rather have that Falcon over an M5 too.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 01:15 (Ref:1898107)   #14
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Believe it or not, this won’t be the record price for much longer. There is a car on the market at the moment that will go for over AU$800k, perhaps well over. It has been in storage since 1979 and has only 32,000 miles with full service history. It was laid up as superannuation. Apparently Shannons auctions wanted to handle it, in a bid to set the first million-dollar sale of an Aussie car.
Old 3 Jun 2007, 09:26 (Ref:1927335)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Here's One that has hit $750,000 for a Ford Falcon.

Hard to know whether it is better to have one of these at this price or a brand spanker Lambo Gallardo with a 997 911 Carrera as a daily driver
Old 3 Jun 2007, 10:00 (Ref:1927356)   #16
Robert Bailey
Rookie

Robert Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cashed up Boggans
Old 5 Jun 2007, 07:47 (Ref:1929079)   #17
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
What amazes me is that all these silly prices can only be hyped up by speculators and not genuine enthusiast. Unless they really do have a money tree. I shall lose a lot of sleep when it all go's tits up again.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 14 Jun 2007, 06:43 (Ref:1936599)   #18
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Gordon I don't think it is entirely speculators, eg the $683k sale was to a guy who has done well in his business and also bought the last Monaro off the production line in 05, which was a >$300k effort from memory.

I don't know how accurate it is, but I have heard that the 100-odd Phase III's remaining are owned by something like 70-80 owners, and this number is shrinking rather than expanding!

Meanwhile, this link is a good read, the story of a couple of Phase IIIs travelling by road the 2150 mile trip to the Falcon GT Nationals in Perth earlier this year. Don't miss the shot of the speedo needle off the clock! http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...llarbor-plain/
Old 28 Jun 2007, 01:40 (Ref:1948644)   #19
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is the subject of a major feature in the current edition of Wheels magazine.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 01:37 (Ref:1951939)   #20
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
When I get the time I'll have to look at some of the previous prognostication efforts in some of the old magazines I have, it will be interesting to see how they compare to what has happened. One that came to mind was the first issue of the Aust. Muscle Car magazine which had a feature of "Bathurst cars under $20k" but did not predict values. However an XR GT which was under the $20k mark then now go for more than $50k.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 03:36 (Ref:1951960)   #21
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Prices will crash when they go "I bought a Ford Falcon for 650k and all I got was a creaky old family sled with a V-8".