Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 28 Apr 2012, 18:10 (Ref:3066641)   #101
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Acid09 on an acid hate trip being all anti-Audi again....

The movie showed all the parts you're saying it didn't show, you've clearly not watched it or have selectively forgotten those elements in your aim to try and make an argument. I loved TI24 because it educated me on Le Mans (I never knew champagne was first sprayed there!) and it really did show the emotion and passion of the race.

Screw GT2, Audi wasn't racing in that class so why should an Audi focused documentary show larger segments of that class?

Like has been said, the sometime idiocy of members here is ridiculous...
Old 28 Apr 2012, 19:15 (Ref:3066659)   #102
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
I did above. A documentary would have touched on the race as a whole, would have (I'm only talking about brief segments, Audi could have still be the main focus) shown the other classes etc.
Well, you're simply wrong then. A documentary doesn't have to be all-encompassing. If they had said "there are no other classes" you'd have a point, but right now you might as well complain that a documentary about World War 2 in the pacific doesn't cover the Battle of Britain. It's a film about Audi at Le Mans, not about Le Mans as a whole. That's what they set out to do, that's what they did. If you can't enjoy that because you hate Audi, fine, but that doesn't make it a bad documentary.
Old 28 Apr 2012, 19:59 (Ref:3066673)   #103
FKWD2
Rookie

FKWD2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFKWD2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post

Another question: Do you believe these films would have been released if Peugeot had won in 2008 and/or 2011?
interesting question!

In 2008 - I really don't know. We spoke about what would happen to the movie if what Peugeot achieved in Qualifying would continue throughout the race. It would have been a VERY difficult decision for sure, as most of the money was spent by that time.

In 2011 - no, there would not have been a movie, because the idea to produce it came up about 3 weeks after the race when we finished the 13 mins long trailer which was originally going to be only 4 mins long (for advertisement usenby the dealers). When we couldn't cut it below 13 mins, we felt we might have enough good stuff to tell a compelling story.

In 2009 Audi did not produce a documentary. Peugeot did. And rightfully so. Because they won and deserved to tell their story. I think it actually has a scene where the whole team is watching Ti24.

In 2010 nobody did. Because the race didn't have a story that would have an equal impact in a movie as 2011 did. But the ACO did their usual great job of producing a post race compilation.

I get your point and understand some of the opinion. Can I offer some form of ceasefire by stating that Audi were not (nor was Peugeot in 2009) trying to give an all-encompassing race documentary but tell the story of a race team at a very famous and fascinating race?

Last edited by FKWD2; 28 Apr 2012 at 20:04.
Old 28 Apr 2012, 20:01 (Ref:3066675)   #104
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Acid09 has returned to his usual Audi bashing habit.

Just look at the user ratings of the movie: 8.8/10 by 154 users on IMDB and 6 stars by 1370 users on iTunes.

Truth in 24 was nominated in the category Best Documentary in the 2008 Chicago International Film Festival. I doubt that an objectively terrible documentary gets nominated in a film festival.
Old 28 Apr 2012, 20:03 (Ref:3066676)   #105
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKWD2 View Post
In 2010 nobody did. Because the race didn't have a story that would have an equal impact in a movie as 2011 did. But the ACO did their usual great job of producing a post race compilation.
Strakka Racing had an hour-long(-ish) documentary about their LMP2 winning run in 2010, if I remember correctly, and they even got (Sir) Stirling Moss to narrate it. And I personally fully agree with the last paragraph in your post, if the documentary is made by (and for) a team it's impossible for the documentary to say the full story of the full race. Films like Truth in 24 do put the story of the team rather well within the context of the race though.
Old 28 Apr 2012, 20:08 (Ref:3066679)   #106
FKWD2
Rookie

FKWD2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFKWD2 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Strakka Racing had an hour-long(-ish) documentary about their LMP2 winning run in 2010, if I remember correctly, and they even got (Sir) Stirling Moss to narrate it.
Sorry, I stand corrected. I was more trying to make the point that it would probably not have been a great story for neither Audi nor Peugeot to justify a feature length film. Did not want to take anything away from the race as a whole or the results.
Old 28 Apr 2012, 20:20 (Ref:3066684)   #107
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Sorry, I stand corrected. I was more trying to make the point that it would probably not have been a great story for neither Audi nor Peugeot to justify a feature length film. Did not want to take anything away from the race as a whole or the results.
Well yeah, looking back on 2010, probably the best part of the story at the front of the field would have been the distance record, but indeed, that wouldn't be enough of a starting point.

Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

Comparing 2010 in my head with the previous distance record ('71), and substituting the cars from 2010 with the cars from '71, the Audis are the 917Ks which ended up at the top of the field after 24 hours, and the Peugeots would be the 917LHs (which all went wrong with engine-related issues if the archives are to be believed).

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic
Old 28 Apr 2012, 20:31 (Ref:3066689)   #108
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
In 2011 - no, there would not have been a movie, because the idea to produce it came up about 3 weeks after the race when we finished the 13 mins long trailer which was originally going to be only 4 mins long (for advertisement usenby the dealers). When we couldn't cut it below 13 mins, we felt we might have enough good stuff to tell a compelling story.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atM0J0BLFpg - this?
Old 28 Apr 2012, 21:31 (Ref:3066708)   #109
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Thanks for coming on here Florian. No one can expect Audi to produce anything other than a film trying to promote itself and why should it be anything different. However they appear to be of the opinion that by building the mystique of the race and by increasing the reach of its appeal then that will not only build the Audi brand but also that of Le Mans itself and in doing so building the Audi brand and the Le Mans brand hand in hand is a good thing for Audi - long may it continue as far as I am concerned.
Old 28 Apr 2012, 21:41 (Ref:3066712)   #110
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
I really love the slow motion shot at 11:12
Old 28 Apr 2012, 22:01 (Ref:3066718)   #111
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
The "full version" better have more that super slow motion. That just can't be the only usable piece of footage they have.
Old 28 Apr 2012, 22:31 (Ref:3066723)   #112
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
From my perspective I loved Truth in 24, just as I've liked other possibly slanted sporting documentaries such as Closer to the Edge or A Sunday in Hell - and in that light am very much looking forward to seeing what the latest offering looks like.

What is interesting to me however is when I gave a copy to an engineer friend of mine who has been tangentially involved in motorsport through Formula Student he loved it, used it with his students, and had his eyes opened to sportscar racing that he hadn't been enormously familiar with previously.

Either way, better by far to have something like Truth in 24, warts and all, than not.
Old 29 Apr 2012, 11:40 (Ref:3066910)   #113
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I confess, it's been with both incredulity and a degree of sadness that I've read some of the posts on this thread over the past few days.

Thank you, Florian, for taking the time to intervene!
Old 29 Apr 2012, 13:54 (Ref:3066973)   #114
92scotland
Racer

United Kingdom
92scotland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid92scotland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not really sure how I came across this, was just procrastinating with exams coming up. So for all you lucky Americans, Speed will be showing TI24 II next saturday: http://www.speedtv.com/schedule/filter/date/2012-5-5.

Whilst the rest of us wait for its release, I came across the documentary about Drayson racing in 2010 that was shown on Sky Sports in January: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KGd447l0yE. Quite a good watch
Old 29 Apr 2012, 14:34 (Ref:3066990)   #115
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92scotland View Post
I'm not really sure how I came across this, was just procrastinating with exams coming up. So for all you lucky Americans, Speed will be showing TI24 II next saturday: http://www.speedtv.com/schedule/filter/date/2012-5-5.
Repeats: http://www.speedtv.com/programs/truth-in-24/
Old 29 Apr 2012, 14:40 (Ref:3066992)   #116
EverOne
Racer

Spain
Madrid
EverOne has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
You clearly either watched an edited version or you edited it yourself subconsciously.
+1

Peugeot still crying they were beaten by a 3 seg slow car
Old 29 Apr 2012, 16:34 (Ref:3067020)   #117
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92scotland View Post
Just an hour long (which translates to about 45 minutes with commercials)? I was hoping for another feature length film. Or are Speed showing a cut down version?
Old 30 Apr 2012, 09:36 (Ref:3067334)   #118
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great to see the film is almost here. Having selected the "UK" option on the official site I see there is mention of a download, but will the official DVD be released in the UK I wonder?...

(...if not I'll have to get one imported from the US again!)
Old 30 Apr 2012, 09:43 (Ref:3067340)   #119
Creep89
Veteran

Germany
Herne
Creep89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still hope that there will be a BluRay.. DVD is so old-school.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 11:36 (Ref:3067392)   #120
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
I confess, it's been with both incredulity and a degree of sadness that I've read some of the posts on this thread over the past few days.

Thank you, Florian, for taking the time to intervene!

I share your view entirely.

Man, so it doesn't have endless shots of Porkers or Ferrari's in it nor does it spend half an hour dealing with the history of the race and hey, it's about Audi - well, I'd never have believed it..........

Absolutely astonishing. You just can't satisfy some people.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 30 Apr 2012 at 11:45.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 12:57 (Ref:3067446)   #121
Lppiesaudi
Rookie

Lppiesaudi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone confirm what the length of the new film is? As mentioned above the timeslot on Speed suggests it is only an hour in length (if no commercials are present). I wonder if the television broadcast version has been shortened.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 15:11 (Ref:3067488)   #122
vogelmann4
Rookie

vogelmann4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know the names of the 09 Pug video and the 2010 Strakka vid and how I could view them?

I found Ti24 to be a great way to transfer the emotion of the race weekend it something that those new to racing could understand. I just wish they could have done it for Petit 08. That would have been a cracker!
Old 30 Apr 2012, 15:20 (Ref:3067494)   #123
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pug: La Quete du Mans
Strakka: Battle of la Sarthe
Old 30 Apr 2012, 16:54 (Ref:3067530)   #124
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Tested those titles on Youtube... trailer for the Strakka one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2NvoW_6T_Q

And maybe a clip from the Pug one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5YEsvPH7SI
Old 30 Apr 2012, 16:57 (Ref:3067532)   #125
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have the Strakka vid. It's quite good. Stirling does quite well with the added-on voice-over, but it's still a little monotonous. Worth a watch, but unsurprisingly not in the same league as TI24.