Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Nov 2010, 10:20 (Ref:2785715)   #1
BazBarrow
Rookie

BazBarrow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula One in HD!?

Formula One is being shown on the new BBC HD channel starting with Qualifying today!!!

I know Bernie recently said HD would be next year but has this been brought forward or is it being upscaled?

Anyone know?

Old 6 Nov 2010, 10:31 (Ref:2785724)   #2
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ahhh but is the broadcast in HD?

There are lots of programmes shown on HD channels that are NOT in HD. They just squeeze down the picture to 4:3 format.
Old 6 Nov 2010, 10:32 (Ref:2785725)   #3
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Don't jump the gun here too much - All it is is upscaled SD.

Perhaps the pre-show maybe in HD, though. On-track action will not.

Selby
Old 6 Nov 2010, 11:30 (Ref:2785733)   #4
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's definitely upscaled

Latest talk (motorsport-total.com) is that Bernie has said there won't be HD next year after all
Old 6 Nov 2010, 11:35 (Ref:2785734)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good. I don't want the quality of coverage to be improved.

Old 6 Nov 2010, 13:26 (Ref:2785791)   #6
BazBarrow
Rookie

Thanks for the info.

Oh well...unfortunately can't read German in the link but I am frustrated to hear we won't get full hd next year after Bernie said we would!?

F1 is the cutting edge of technology and I find it pathetic that we can watch Moto GP and Football in HD but not F1!?
Old 6 Nov 2010, 13:28 (Ref:2785793)   #7
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is disappointing, bearing in mind the technology is already there. HD isn't too difficult. 3D would be more difficult in motor racing because it needs a different style of direction though - shots need to be longer, which would presumably require more use of the helicopter and onboards - but not insurmountable, just would need to be a second feed.
Old 6 Nov 2010, 13:29 (Ref:2785794)   #8
BazBarrow
Rookie

http://www.f1sa.com/index.php?option...:f1&Itemid=157

So whats wrong with the onboard cameras being in SD?!
Old 6 Nov 2010, 13:32 (Ref:2785797)   #9
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They wouldn't be HD. Isn't the gyroscopic camera on the MotoGP bikes proper HD? And the NASCAR ones? Either it's brown and bovine or Bernie's been misinformed, which bearing in mind some of the technical thing he's said about TV is probably an option.
Old 6 Nov 2010, 13:33 (Ref:2785798)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Good. I don't want the quality of coverage to be improved.

I had a frustrating debate with a colleague the other day about the advantages of HD. He denounced it as overrated and rubbish. Turns out he has a HD TV but absolutely no HD equipment to use on it. People make me angry!

Anyhoo, got me a new HD TV last weekend. Finally! Was astonished at the MotoGP in HD so I am really eager to have F1 and NASCAR on HD channels. Not upscaled!
Old 6 Nov 2010, 13:42 (Ref:2785801)   #11
BazBarrow
Rookie

Exactly...the moto gp looked amazing in HD.

Bernie is quoted in the link as saying it would be 50% in hd and 50% sd because the tech isnt there for hd onboard.

Since when have 50% of the broadcast been from the onboard. Probably more like 5-10%!

We would see all the sponsors logos much better....perhaps the worry is we would get more frustrated that we were looking at the wrong part of the action as happens so often but this time in HD.

Come on if moto gp can do surely F1 can. So much for F1 being "cutting edge".
Old 6 Nov 2010, 17:51 (Ref:2785912)   #12
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw Nascar in HD when I went on holiday to the USA. I must say, I wasn't a fan of HD before but when i saw the coverage it blew me away, certainly added to the coverage.

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 6 Nov 2010, 18:05 (Ref:2785916)   #13
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The upscaled picture was good today though. I have a 47" HD so you can really notice the graining of the picture when watching it on BBC1, which is completely eliminated on the HD channel. Will be a shame if we don't have a proper upgrade next year but if they keep upscaling it I can sit tight till 2012
Old 7 Nov 2010, 01:00 (Ref:2786082)   #14
BazBarrow
Rookie

Yes I must say I was very impressed with the upscaled picture today.

I am guessing the pieces to camera with Jake, DC and EJ were true HD shot on bbc hd cameras and the on track shots were upscaled?

The on track shots were of much better quality than normal with much less pixelation.

The pieces straight to camera and shot in the pitlane were very good quality and even the overlayed data looked far crisper and cleaner.

Well done the BBC.

Old 7 Nov 2010, 21:26 (Ref:2786683)   #15
alan1302
Racer

England
Doncaster, UK
alan1302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enjoyed the upscaled picture as well - I certainly noticed the clearer picture on my 42" screen - the on screen graphics were a lot sharper as well.

It will be disapointing if we don't get a proper HD feed next year, but at least we are getting there now!
Old 8 Nov 2010, 10:21 (Ref:2786916)   #16
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Re; Onboard HD. Anyone who says this cannot be done for tech reasons is talking arse gravy.

Although HD requires more bandwidth than SD, a decent real time compression of the HD stream using H264 could really get the bandwidth down, probably to the current level of the SD onboard streams (unless they already use H264 - I'm not sure about that). You do lose a bit of quality, but not enough to degrade the HD. You could even stick with 720p if bandwidth is a huge problem. Might be problems with running lots of camera at the same time (there is already a nine channel limit I believe because of bandwidth limitations on the receiver)

Just as an example, I have a little bit of kit on my desk, that with a 12MP phone camera can encode 1080P in real time, and get the bandwidth right down. Small enough to put on a model helicopter for example. Could transmit over Wifi should the need arise.

It amazes me that Nokia have the new N8 phone which does 720p recording and produces really quite impressive footage, whilst F1 is broadcast in SD. This means that people at the circuit are taking higher resolution footage on their phones than FOM's cameras....(OK, the lens isnt as good which is there the big difference is!).

I can only assume that FOM dont want to spend the money on upgrading their kit, although you would have thought they would have plenty of cash sloshing around in their coffers.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 8 Nov 2010, 10:38 (Ref:2786925)   #17
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Just read the BE says the HD camera are too large to fit on the cars.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.

HD camera are no larger than SD cameras. Modern tech actually means they could be smaller than the last generation SD cameras.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 8 Nov 2010, 11:54 (Ref:2786971)   #18
NeilB
Rookie

England
NeilB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Moto GP had an HD camera fitted on Pedrosa's bike at yesterdays race at Valencia.

Wouldn't surprise me if Bernie keeps stalling on this issue to get a bit more money out of the broadcasters to aid/fund its implementation for 2011.