Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 5 Nov 2012, 08:08 (Ref:3162769)   #151
M J Smith
Rookie

M J Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was in the Caserta race and seeing the result of the crash thought it was time to retire before it was my turn! Malcolm Smith
Old 5 Nov 2012, 08:24 (Ref:3162771)   #152
M J Smith
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown View Post
Thanks for all this and thanks again for your time when we spoke this morning.

The Ravenscroft Brabham twin cam would be the ex-Tony Griffith/Gray & Agnes Mickel/Griffith again/Chris Court car - a BT21A I believe.

We're still trying to get our heads around Norman Foulds' Brabhams. At Brands Hatch in Jan 1967, which would be after your BT9 but before the David Bridges BT18, you raced a Brabham and Autosport said "Malcolm Smith in Nick Foulds' BT15". I'm sure they meant Norman, not Nick, but were they right that you were driving his car?
Hi Allen great talking to you
Yes I raced Norman Foulds car at Brands in jan 67 the car owned by David Bridges this is the car I was cut out of at Oulton Park In March 67 I have photo's of the car at Brands and hope to have the photo of the remains after the crash .
Remember I took 16mm film of my 67 season which I am happy to put on disc for you . Malcolm
Old 5 Nov 2012, 09:00 (Ref:3162778)   #153
M J Smith
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by M J Smith View Post
Hi Allen great talking to you
Yes I raced Norman Foulds car at Brands in jan 67 the car owned by David Bridges this is the car I was cut out of at Oulton Park In March 67 I have photo's of the car at Brands and hope to have the photo of the remains after the crash .
Remember I took 16mm film of my 67 season which I am happy to put on disc for you . Malcolm
Just to throw a spanner in the works I raced at Snetterton in may 67 in the 21 and lapped Norman Foulds this I remember well as I was given a right *******ing from David Bridges for nearly taking Norman off in the move !
So what car was he in as the Oulton car had been scrapped.

Last edited by M J Smith; 5 Nov 2012 at 09:14. Reason: Spelling
Old 5 Nov 2012, 11:44 (Ref:3162825)   #154
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is puzzling Chris and me as well. As far as we can tell, the fist time you drove Bridges' BT18 was at Snetterton on 5 Mar 1967 as the report on Oulton 11 Mar 1967 says it was your second drive in the car. So whatever you drove at Brands in January must have been a different car. Was this definitely a David Bridges car or did Foulds have his own car?

This Brands January car could then be the car you remember lapping at Snetterton in May.
Old 5 Nov 2012, 20:00 (Ref:3163014)   #155
M J Smith
Rookie

Quote:
This is puzzling Chris and me as well. As far as we can tell, the fist time you drove Bridges' BT18 was at Snetterton on 5 Mar 1967 as the report on Oulton 11 Mar 1967 says it was your second drive in the car. So whatever you drove at Brands in January must have been a different car. Was this definitely a David Bridges car or did Foulds have his own car?

This Brands January car could then be the car you remember lapping at Snetterton in May.
Allen for definite in 1967 I only drove two F3 Brabhams, with the 21 arriving for me to race in Barcelona in April to replace the Oulton crashed car.
Foulds had his own car until he took over my seat, but I will try to find more out re Foulds for you
Old 5 Nov 2012, 20:40 (Ref:3163037)   #156
M J Smith
Rookie

Quote:
Allen for definite in 1967 I only drove two F3 Brabhams, with the 21 arriving for me to race in Barcelona in April to replace the Oulton crashed car.
Foulds had his own car until he took over my seat, but I will try to find more out re Foulds for you
Been in touch with Fred Smith who worked with us in David Bridges Racing.
He confirms that Norman had his own car a BT9 and took over my chassis but with his own engine and gearbox ,the financing of which eventually got him into trouble!
Old 6 Nov 2012, 06:54 (Ref:3163198)   #157
M J Smith
Rookie

Quote:
Been in touch with Fred Smith who worked with us in David Bridges Racing.
He confirms that Norman had his own car a BT9 and took over my chassis but with his own engine and gearbox ,the financing of which eventually got him into trouble!
My 152 quote was wrong as was autosports in 1967 it wasn't Norman Foulds car

Last edited by M J Smith; 6 Nov 2012 at 06:56. Reason: More info
Old 9 Nov 2012, 20:43 (Ref:3164701)   #158
ossyhodge
Rookie

United Kingdom
ossyhodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Norman Foulds Brabham

Find attached a photo of Normans own BT9 in David B's livery taken at Mallory Park in June 1967, retiring after a coming together with John Cambell.
He kidded me into believing that he aquired it from Roy James,but that was Norman!
Norman unfortunately was tragically killed when his light aircraft left Blackpool for the Isle of Man,but went down in the Irish Sea a number of years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
img057_edited.jpg  
Old 9 Nov 2012, 21:12 (Ref:3164713)   #159
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossyhodge View Post
Find attached a photo of Normans own BT9 in David B's livery taken at Mallory Park in June 1967, retiring after a coming together with John Cambell.
He kidded me into believing that he aquired it from Roy James,but that was Norman!
Norman unfortunately was tragically killed when his light aircraft left Blackpool for the Isle of Man,but went down in the Irish Sea a number of years ago.
Thanks very much Ossy. That's a real find!

Anyone here able to confirm that is a BT9?
Old 24 Nov 2012, 20:10 (Ref:3170663)   #160
ossyhodge
Rookie

United Kingdom
ossyhodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Bridges Last Brabham F3 car

Speaking of Norman Foulds & his ties with David Bridges Brabhams.
Find attached a photo of Norman in David B's last F3 car being the B.T. 21.

The photo was taken during the 1969 season when D.B. was winding down his sponsoring efforts.
The following year Norman purchased a new Chevron B17 teaming up with Barrie Maskell to form the N.E.R.O. partnership.

Attached Thumbnails
Norman Foulds BT 21.jpg  
Old 16 Feb 2014, 10:13 (Ref:3368999)   #161
alleggerita
Rookie

alleggerita should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old italian race entry sheets

During my research on Alfa Romeo race cars, i have found and bought a collection of old race documents from he 60´s (entry sheets/technical inspection sheets) from Italy, these also included documents regarding the following cars:

F3-1-65
F3-9-65
F3-14-65
F3-16-65
F3-17-65
F3-59-65

I would like to sell these documents to the owners of the cars, so if you are an owner of any of these cars, please send me a private mail.

Kind regards

Patrick Dasse
Hamburg, Germany
Old 19 Dec 2014, 17:01 (Ref:3486487)   #162
Unit 2 Racing
Racer

United Kingdom
Ormesby St. Margaret, Norfolk UK
Unit 2 Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Lupton View Post
Going through some old files, found this in a letter from Martyn Smith, dated
14/12/1990 ; ownership records of F3-33-66.

1966 Mike Knight
1967 Tony Dean
1968-69 John Hooper
1970-71 John Berry
1971-75 Ian Beardsley
1975-78 Mike Brett
1979-80 Mike Hartley
1981-84 Tim Williams
1985 Hubertus Huppauff ( never raced, kept in England, owned only
a few months)
1985-90 Martyn Smith.
1990 Advertised in A/S oct. 11,1990 for 28750 Pounds
Hope this fills in a few holes
Denis
This car has turned up a last.

Currently in the USA. I found it advertised for sale by sheer luck on the,
"1000cc F3 Historic Racing Association" web site in the UK. Now fitted with a twin cam engine US$50,000, seller is Jay D Galpin.

Just phoned Mike Brett and told him I had found our old Brabham, he said he is not going to make a come back.

There are people who drive racing cars and there are Racing Drivers. Gilles Villenuve
Old 21 May 2015, 13:41 (Ref:3539917)   #163
pantah
Racer

United Kingdom
pantah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantah View Post
Hi there Pat,

I thought I'd make contact to try and put this matter to rest, and you must understand I am in no way trying to usurp your cars' identity, or cast doubt on your research, I simply want to find out the truth. There are just a couple of questions which may help me correctly identify the car with AM-32 chassis stamp, which is now in my ownership back in the UK. I will deal one-by one from your original post:

Close inspection of the US car will reveal that it is not a 1965 BT15 frame. 15’s were built in 65 and 66 remember.

May I respectfully ask who inspected on your behalf the chassis of the US car and concluded it is not a 1965 BT15 frame? I would like to contact that person with a view to comparing findings with a couple of highly respected Brabham chassis experts here in the UK.... now that the chassis is stripped and ready for crack testing /blasting / powder-coating - this is an ideal opportunity to compare notes, and compare with another two BT15's we have access to.

I also wonder why, when the car only ever ran as F3 in England and FC in America the US a car with patently incorrect chassis and twin cam engine that it never used in the day is given any credence anyway.

You will find many such examples of 1960's F3 cars now running twincams, particularly here in the UK in the HSCC Classic Racing Car series. I think there are a lot of respected and talented owner / drivers that might take exception to your statement regarding credence of cars now sporting twincams. The fact that the US AM-32 car had one does not in any way call into question its provenance. If you were referring to its BT18 rear uprights, and the consequential re-location of the radius arm mountings on the chassis, you will find they were a modification / upgrade available in-period (I am told).

My car has almost bullet proof provenance except for 1966-74 and its US log books from 1974.

Might I ask precisely what you purchased, in other words, I assume you bought a complete car: chassis, wheels, engine, gearbox, bodywork, suspension, brakes, steering rack, radiator, piping, seat, Brabham steering wheel, and the US Logbooks?

If I have been sold a fake, I will clearly be found-out by the experts here in the UK, and you will have been proven correct.... however, it has been suggested that Arch Motors made a batch of frames in 1965 and another batch in1966, leads to the fact under their frame numbering system, there would have been two frames bearing the AM-32 stamp..... perhaps?
Well, well, well ! The original owner of this car from the UK has turned up, along with his mechanic from the 1965/66 season. He has given us lots of background and history on the chassis etc. I am happy to provide the entire story and history to Chis Townsend and Allen Brown, along with eye-witness evidence of the authenticity of the chassis 'AM-32' we have - and believe me there is a good story attached to it! He is also sending me period photos which I hope he will allow me to post here. More information to follow shortly.
Old 21 May 2015, 14:40 (Ref:3539932)   #164
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantah View Post
Well, well, well ! The original owner of this car from the UK has turned up, along with his mechanic from the 1965/66 season. He has given us lots of background and history on the chassis etc. I am happy to provide the entire story and history to Chis Townsend and Allen Brown, along with eye-witness evidence of the authenticity of the chassis 'AM-32' we have - and believe me there is a good story attached to it! He is also sending me period photos which I hope he will allow me to post here. More information to follow shortly.
That's great news. I look forward to hearing the whole story.
Old 22 May 2015, 09:58 (Ref:3540133)   #165
pantah
Racer

United Kingdom
pantah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That's great news. I look forward to hearing the whole story.
Private message sent - I am also going to copy Chris Townsend in as well.
Old 5 Jan 2016, 13:39 (Ref:3602230)   #166
Rupertlt1
Racer

Rupertlt1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jacques Bernusset at Zolder, 1965

Here is a puzzle (I hope it is not a red herring). This picture at Revs identifies "Car number 39, Jacques Bernusset in Paul Swaelens' Cooper-Ford T76" (presumably per http://www.formula2.net/F365_E13.htm ):

https://revslib.stanford.edu/item/cs282th5478

There are further pictures here:

https://revslib.stanford.edu/catalog/hg278wd5864

Note #18 John Cardwell alongside.

https://revslib.stanford.edu/catalog/fz739yp5180

The Cooper T76 and Brabham BT15 look similar from the side. I am not a Brabham fundi but there is something not quite right about this?
(This superset of pictures re Zolder 1965 will repay study for this thread in general: https://revslib.stanford.edu/?omit_k...utf8=%E2%9C%93 ) RGDS RLT

Last edited by Rupertlt1; 5 Jan 2016 at 13:57.
Old 5 Jan 2016, 15:05 (Ref:3602251)   #167
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Certainly not a Cooper T76. It looks like a BT15 but the undertray is wrong. Maybe something older that has had updated rear suspension.
Old 5 Jan 2016, 15:12 (Ref:3602254)   #168
phdm
Racer

Belgium
Liège
phdm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Certainly not a Cooper T76. It looks like a BT15 but the undertray is wrong. Maybe something older that has had updated rear suspension.
Possibly a BT9.
Old 5 Jan 2016, 15:21 (Ref:3602256)   #169
Unit 2 Racing
Racer

United Kingdom
Ormesby St. Margaret, Norfolk UK
Unit 2 Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say the cars in the first two photographs are all BT15s

The last photograph is the Cooper T76.

Note the Cooper engine cover by the trailer has number 39 on it.

Could the driver of had 2 cars at the meeting & chose to race the Brabham.

There are people who drive racing cars and there are Racing Drivers. Gilles Villenuve
Old 5 Jan 2016, 16:16 (Ref:3602274)   #170
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Yes, the car next to the 39 engine cover is definitely not a Brabham.

If the Zolder race was important to a Belgian F3 champion, maybe he hired another car after his Cooper broke down. Tony Horsley, Charlie Lucas, Natalie Goodwin and Derek Romano are all listed as entries but did not appear in reports. A suitable bundle of Belgian Francs might have acquired one of their cars for the weekend.
Old 21 Jul 2018, 02:56 (Ref:3837767)   #171
cdeery
Rookie

cdeery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thi BT-15 was purchased by a friend in 1974 or 75 from Dwight Egolf who was in Reading Penna. It was a FF and he drove it in SCCA regionals at Summit Point, Pocono and Nelson Ledges. Sold it in 1976 or 77. I remember the "Man And Women" movie story and that this car was in it.
Old 21 Jul 2018, 03:10 (Ref:3837769)   #172
cdeery
Rookie

cdeery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For clarification I was referring to BT15 F3-3-66
Old 2 Oct 2018, 04:10 (Ref:3853966)   #173
DHill
Rookie

DHill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What does AM58 mean on the L/H rear of a BT15 chassis mean?.
Old 2 Oct 2018, 05:04 (Ref:3853969)   #174
phdm
Racer

Belgium
Liège
phdm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Brabham chassis were manufactured by Arch Motors in Huntingdon and stamped by them with their own production number. This is usually known as the “AM number”, which has no relation with the Brabham number stamped on the chassis plate. There are no correspondence table between AM numbers and Brabham numbers.
Old 2 Oct 2018, 23:48 (Ref:3854198)   #175
DHill
Rookie

DHill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re 23, there is a photo and article on the car in Robin Bouchers book, Drive it! Hillclimbing and sprinting,Haynes publishing 1977.
Chris Dowson (the potato farmer) died recently.
I met Doc Willoughby and Charles Adrian but they made no mention of Chris Tipping.
The MAE that i fitted came out of the Lola F2 SL60/2 that originally belonged to Midland Racing Partnership, the engine had been fitted at an earlier time in its life.
I was told that Arch motors built 58 frames and 2 were intended as spares and that Radio London owned 1 of them, how true all this is i do not know but i believe we should share all of our knowledge so that some one can sought out the wheat from the chaff other wise fiction can become fact.