Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Jun 2008, 03:46 (Ref:2237716)   #1
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Abu Dhabi - 15 November 2009

If you're thinking of coming to the season finale next year, consider reserving your hotel rooms now! Abu Dhabi will have a max of 16,000 rooms available by next year - and they're expecting 100,000 visitors. Although the circuit is easily accessible from Dubai - an hour (ish) away (assuming no traffic).

Even more accessible from my house, less than 10 miles.
Old 26 Jun 2008, 04:21 (Ref:2237718)   #2
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Friel
If you're thinking of coming to the season finale next year, consider reserving your hotel rooms now! Abu Dhabi will have a max of 16,000 rooms available by next year - and they're expecting 100,000 visitors. Although the circuit is easily accessible from Dubai - an hour (ish) away (assuming no traffic).

Is there a google earth reference for where this track will be?
Old 26 Jun 2008, 04:29 (Ref:2237721)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm an hour away by plane.
Old 26 Jun 2008, 05:00 (Ref:2237728)   #4
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure how to do the Google Earth thing, but it’s located on a development called Yas Island and is just to the west of the airport. The developer is Aldar.

www.yasisland.ae

www.abudhabigp.com

Peter, you must be in Qatar / Bahrain. Hopefully a nice part and nothing too “industrial”…
Old 26 Jun 2008, 06:12 (Ref:2237736)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Qatar, working in Ras Laffan but living in Doha.

Just looking at flights there's an early morning flight at o2:10 and a return at21:45 on normal days, so I'd expect there to be additional flights on the race weekend.

Might do an hotel though.
Old 26 Jun 2008, 12:17 (Ref:2237944)   #6
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where can I find a picture of the track layout?
Old 26 Jun 2008, 12:22 (Ref:2237949)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
www.abudhabigp.com
Old 26 Jun 2008, 18:43 (Ref:2238227)   #8
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like a nice track
Old 26 Jun 2008, 18:52 (Ref:2238243)   #9
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Friel

How many bedrooms you got then?????????????????????
Old 26 Jun 2008, 20:13 (Ref:2238283)   #10
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Looks like its anti-clockwise judging from the layout.
Old 26 Jun 2008, 20:26 (Ref:2238294)   #11
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
What?? His bedroom??
Old 26 Jun 2008, 23:09 (Ref:2238389)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

I was thinking the same !

Old 27 Jun 2008, 00:31 (Ref:2238426)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The last time my bedroom was anti-clockwise I'd had too much to drink.
Old 27 Jun 2008, 02:27 (Ref:2238461)   #14
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The track is anti-clockwise and I'm gonna check how complete it is on http://www.flashearth.com
Old 28 Jun 2008, 00:49 (Ref:2239055)   #15
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And now is where the feng-shui comes to frame...
But well, a new venue! Congrats to the people of the Emirates who did it!!!
Old 1 Jul 2008, 06:25 (Ref:2241121)   #16
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is going to be an interesting race. Is it going to be a night race?

The only way F1 will continue being as popular as it is and as pricey as it is; is to tap new venues, especially ones with a lot of money. Think about it, how long can Honda and Toyota for example keep speding 150 million euros racing F1 and doing poorly? UAE, like India are countries that now have the finances to be in F1 and bring their countries to a "world" series like Formula One. If they can't host the Olympics or the World Cup, being involved in F1 is the next best thing. The Russians are next!

Cigarette companies can no longer be involved in F1. The financial markets are taking a hit, so you'll see companies like Credit Suisse and ING making less of an investment in F1 in the near future. I think we'll see a race in Dubai, Russia and India soon as well. This will last 5-10 years before they too lose interest or money and F1 will go somewhere else (Hong Kong, Korea, etc). Hopefully by then F1 willl go back to being like it was in the 80's and early 90's and allow privateer teams without 150+ million euros to enter.

I'd love to see 40 cars fighting for 26 grid spots like 1991 again! And, I'm all for new races. Hopefully, they'll replace races like Hungary that are usually a bore...
Old 6 Jul 2008, 12:03 (Ref:2245231)   #17
rychard
Rookie

rychard has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
.... and return to Africa.

Gosh ..... Libya, Morocco or even Afrique du Sud!
Old 6 Jul 2008, 15:45 (Ref:2245537)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would switch Hungary for anything tilke-like or not, wherever it is.
Old 6 Jul 2008, 15:51 (Ref:2245542)   #19
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
I would switch Hungary for anything tilke-like or not, wherever it is.
Agree. I'd wait until next year before making any judgements on the tracks. Gp2 from Hungary last year was brilliant but the F1 race was as boring as a dry F1 race usually is. The 2009 changes are going to shake things up a lot.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 6 Jul 2008, 18:45 (Ref:2245678)   #20
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
The problem isn't the tracks, its the cars.

Change the cars, not the tracks.
Old 6 Jul 2008, 18:45 (Ref:2245680)   #21
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
According to that link the circuit is 309km!

So I guess it's just a 1 lap race then?
Old 6 Jul 2008, 19:33 (Ref:2245709)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat12-Aircool
According to that link the circuit is 309km!

So I guess it's just a 1 lap race then?
They'd all run out of fuel well before getting to the finishing line and they can only use the KERS for six seconds on that lap.
Old 7 Jul 2008, 14:10 (Ref:2246367)   #23
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Obviously, that 309km figure is the estimated total race distance, not the lap length.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 07:50 (Ref:2246887)   #24
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone said on a thread recently that Bernie has a thing for the Hungarian race, financial probably.
Old 10 Jul 2008, 01:33 (Ref:2248356)   #25
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Financial probably?