Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Mar 2009, 16:05 (Ref:2429091)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will Abu Dhabi be ready on time?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74100 - report on Yas Marina circuit not being ready.

http://formula-1.updatesport.com/new...-sub/view.html - Report that Canada could slot in before Brazil as a replacement.

Where else could slot in - Jerez and Algarve are used as test venues and should be up to scratch for a race, but distance is an issue.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 22:30 (Ref:2429383)   #2
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope it isn't. Reinstating Canada and then Brazil as the finale is a better idea.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 22:57 (Ref:2429401)   #3
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan View Post
I hope it isn't. Reinstating Canada and then Brazil as the finale is a better idea.

I don't know much about the Abu Dhabi circuit, but I'd place a considerable wager that it wouldn't host a GP as entertaining as Montréal.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 23:03 (Ref:2429404)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rest assured if it isn't ready it will not get the same amount of stick from Bernie as, say, Silverstone would get if they were late repainting a signpost.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 23:25 (Ref:2429419)   #5
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Holding a race in Canada in October is asking for trouble. The chances are the weather would be alright, but a freakishly cold weekend is not out of the question.

I suppose it could be said it couldn't hurt to try. Given it would be filling an empty slot, at worst the season is a round short (which it would've been anyway).
Old 31 Mar 2009, 19:35 (Ref:2429986)   #6
zakeriath
Racer

Wales
Swansea
zakeriath should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there last week and I dont think there is any chance it would be ready anywhere else in the world, but there again as long as the track and the front of the pits are ready, creative camera work will solve the rest
Old 31 Mar 2009, 19:53 (Ref:2429995)   #7
MarkkuAlen86
Rookie

Wales
Wales
MarkkuAlen86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm all for new circuits, but if we had to choose one, I'd hope Abu Dhabi wouldn't be finished.

I'd really prefer to see Montreal back on the F1 calender.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 19:55 (Ref:2429997)   #8
wannab-aracer
Racer

England
England
wannab-aracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the images it looks an amazing set up and if I ever had the money staying at the Hotel complex for a GP weekend would be living the goodlife

We will never know how good the racing will be until it's raced on.

I hope it is good to go.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 19:56 (Ref:2430001)   #9
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a hope in hell you'll see Jerez back on the calender.

I'm looking forward to Abu Dhabi, but I'm very disappointed at the loss of Montreal. Can't we just get rid of Barcelona, Magny Cours or Hungary and run Montreal instead?
Old 31 Mar 2009, 20:03 (Ref:2430005)   #10
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannab-aracer View Post
We will never know how good the racing will be until it's raced on.
That's a good point that some people - myself included - are avoiding because of the nostalgic idea that Canada will put on a better race than Abu Dhabi. It's something that I definitely believe to be true, but as correctly pointed out above, we won't know for certain until we have seen the Abu Dhabi GP. So let's give it a chance and who knows, it might put on a spectacular show.
Old 31 Mar 2009, 20:06 (Ref:2430010)   #11
MarkkuAlen86
Rookie

Wales
Wales
MarkkuAlen86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.cosmic.pope View Post
Not a hope in hell you'll see Jerez back on the calender.

I'm looking forward to Abu Dhabi, but I'm very disappointed at the loss of Montreal. Can't we just get rid of Barcelona, Magny Cours or Hungary and run Montreal instead?
+1.

Hungary should have been dropped years ago.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 04:35 (Ref:2431034)   #12
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't seen photos for a couple of months.

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...095/1123/SPORT

Rumours are that you can now drive onto Yas Island so I'll make the effort to go out there and see how things have changed. As they started selling tickets this week, that suggests there's no doubts...
Old 2 Apr 2009, 11:10 (Ref:2431263)   #13
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the Yas Marina Circuit weren't ready, it wouldn't be a question of when or where to fit in another race instead, but rather a question of who would be paying for it. The organisers and promoters of the Abu Dhabi race most certainly wouldn't, because of the fine they would have to pay to CVC/SLEC/Bernie if they cannot hold the race.
Why not start the race under the safety car because the track isn't finished, and then interrupt it at halfway stage, to satisfy TV stations? *cyn* ;-)
Old 2 Apr 2009, 11:54 (Ref:2431308)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Dan, do the construction workers work 24 hour days in Abu Dhabi like they do in Dubai, if so, then the circuit stands a good chance of being completed I would have thought?
Old 2 Apr 2009, 12:01 (Ref:2431316)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've been sent a link for ordering tickets so someone thinks its a goer.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 14:41 (Ref:2431464)   #16
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter - Tickets are virtually sold out already, be quick.

Stephen - yes, 24 hours is the norm. It is amazing how quickly things can be turned around. If I see new photos I'll post a link.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 17:38 (Ref:2431636)   #17
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If the circuit is not finished in time they could run using yellow flags for the dodgy bits, like donington this weekend!!!!!
Old 2 Apr 2009, 20:05 (Ref:2431772)   #18
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be finished in time for the race. Not that it will be a very inspiring end to the season...
Old 2 Apr 2009, 20:10 (Ref:2431774)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, ending on a street circuit is a bit sad really. It will be no Interlagos!
Old 2 Apr 2009, 20:22 (Ref:2431788)   #20
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I've been sent a link for ordering tickets so someone thinks its a goer.
Peter; Its not Nigeria based site is it....
Old 2 Apr 2009, 20:27 (Ref:2431794)   #21
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah, it is a shame to finish the year on an unproven circuit. They handed Bernie a nice fat envelope for that privellige, though, so an inevitability.

With a bit of luck it will produce a good race. It is encouraging to read the ticket sales are strong: but how much of it is them sold normally, and how much is give-aways or corporate mass-purchase?
Old 3 Apr 2009, 04:40 (Ref:2432021)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Peter; Its not Nigeria based site is it....
Dunno but if you send me your bank deets I'll give you the link.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 11:10 (Ref:2437994)   #23
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
I travelled out to the development area this morning. Too dusty to see much and you can't get that close to the track. The surrounding area is just a big building site but you could clearly see the main grandstands looking complete and the hotels have come on. Ferrari Park looked BIG and the buidling exterior looks complete.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 11:20 (Ref:2437999)   #24
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Friel View Post
I travelled out to the development area this morning. Too dusty to see much and you can't get that close to the track. The surrounding area is just a big building site but you could clearly see the main grandstands looking complete and the hotels have come on. Ferrari Park looked BIG and the buidling exterior looks complete.
So the only thing in common with Donington is no racing cars at the moment then.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 12:19 (Ref:2438021)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The Yas Marina race may also be subject to a start time change!

"We have a certain idea of what we would like to do, but I cannot tell you today what it is! We have a very specific idea, and I hope we will be able to do it - and it will be as unique as the track."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74388

Bernie meddling again ?