Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Mar 2012, 02:01 (Ref:3040714)   #1
Go Harder.
Racer

Australia
Somewhere in the sticks...
Go Harder. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A return to Canberra??

Story HERE

Personally I think it'd be great, but I can't see it happening..
Old 14 Mar 2012, 02:43 (Ref:3040719)   #2
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It seems to be a progression of the accommodation industry body saying that big events are good for their industry (well derr) and then suggesting that the V8s are a good example and using the V8 figures to justify why it's good for everyone.

It's all a bit odd though.
Old 14 Mar 2012, 02:44 (Ref:3040720)   #3
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's merely an idea, not even a proposal on paper.

The problem with the old race was too narrow of a track and at the wrong time of year.

I think it could have some possibilities but would require some investment like Townsville, building a semi permanent track that would encourage passing.

But I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Old 14 Mar 2012, 04:07 (Ref:3040735)   #4
SJA
Racer

Australia
SJA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having just moved from Adelaide to Canberra and really enjoy living in the region, I sincerely hope more of a formal attempt is made to revive a race here. I remember watching the race years ago on the teev and it really was one of the most boring races of the year. It had it's crashes, sure, but that's not racing. As has already been said, it was just too damn narrow.

I don't know what the answer is in terms of where else it can be held, but it is a tremendous opportunity to showcase some of the beautiful country there is around here, boost tourism etc. etc. And last but most certainly not least is THE FANS... It would most certainly be the biggest regional event in Australia if done right. It's not just Canberra and Canberrans that have something to gain here. Think about Wagga, Gundagai, Yass, Goulburn, Batemans Bay, Moruya and Cooma.

The idea shouldn't be dismissed by the ACT government so quickly. It would be foolish.
Old 14 Mar 2012, 04:09 (Ref:3040738)   #5
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Waiting......
Old 14 Mar 2012, 04:15 (Ref:3040742)   #6
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Waiting......
for a taxi?
Old 14 Mar 2012, 04:26 (Ref:3040745)   #7
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev View Post
for a taxi?
a Red Bull one

no

But dont guess anymore, you will get your answer
Old 14 Mar 2012, 10:08 (Ref:3040841)   #8
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be able to watch it from my office.

Changes to the track would be easy. They didnt use the widest road choices last time.

It won't happen though.
Old 14 Mar 2012, 11:04 (Ref:3040867)   #9
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never understood why it was held in one of the coldest parts of the country in the middle of winter, would have stood a much better chance had it been held during Autumn or Spring. But seeing the ACT government has to write a large cheque to V8$A to have the last contract terminated early, can't see them fronting up again.
Old 14 Mar 2012, 11:39 (Ref:3040874)   #10
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Return to Canberra...Then leave again...
Old 14 Mar 2012, 12:04 (Ref:3040887)   #11
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It needs to be at the end of the year. Its a good time of year weather wise, accomodation and tourism would get a boost because the snow season would have finished, and everyone buggers off come summer.

But it won't happen.
Old 14 Mar 2012, 21:26 (Ref:3041144)   #12
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I think the issue with the old Canberra circuit was that a number of points were made effectively narrow. That is, you have corners and bends packed together in sections such that the effective width of practical racing surface/line was narrowed down.

Three spots stick out to me as places where changes would have helped the racing quite noticeably. At Turn 1, it should have just been a straight-in run. That extra bend to the left makes it easy to make it a one-line-in corner, and thus eliminate overtaking possibilities. Bypassing the complex at Queen Victoria Terrace would add another respectable "straight" to the lap. Finally, removing the chicane at Flynn Drive would give a nice, long run into the final chicane, along a stretch where you have three full lanes to work with no less.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 03:40 (Ref:3041262)   #13
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The biggest problem with Canberra has nothing to do with the crack.

The fact that it lost money, solid money, not enough people turned up nor watched on tv.........................and it lost money.

Also, the promoter falsely stated attendence and economic benefits.

Yeah lets bring it back
Old 15 Mar 2012, 04:00 (Ref:3041266)   #14
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Some mistakes that were made can certainly be corrected to help alleviate that shortcoming. Also, give me ONE race promoter (oval, road course, or street circuit around the globe) who does NOT try to overstate the positive aspects of his/her event.

These things do take time to build up. Long Beach would likely have been three and done (same as Canberra), if not for Mario Andretti's win in 1977.

As a circuit, I might be willing to say that I'd take Canberra over Winton or Queensland Raceway.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 04:02 (Ref:3041267)   #15
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Your kidding arent you? Winton and Queensland provide actual racing.

When you are spending Government money, lying about the results is not in your best interests.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 04:30 (Ref:3041273)   #16
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
As a circuit, I might be willing to say that I'd take Canberra over Winton or Queensland Raceway.
I am agreeing with DRT twice in one year!!!!! You must be joking-- both the permanent circuits are given a hard time-- it escapes me why.
I like both of them--- they feel like real race tracks-- oh-- of course -- they are actually race tracks !!
Winton is a great track-- one of the best places to go-- as an organiser,competitor or as a spectator.
QR is flat-- if that is a negative-- so what-- so are most of the street circuits that do "what" for motor racing?
The 2 named circuits do a all round service for all of motor sport-- a fraction of the money wasted on Canberra events would have gone a long way to doing something lasting for motor sport.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 04:46 (Ref:3041279)   #17
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
And yet, it seems to happen all the time, and VERY FEW ever appear to get prosecuted for it, or even called out on it.

Actually, I've watched the 2002 Canberra event (qualifying and all three races from beginning to end). There were a number of wild exchanges, with several back-and-forths as the guys trying to pass overcooked it and got re-passed themselves. And it's nice having a track that actually punishes mistakes with meaningful consequences that don't have to be doled out by the Chief Steward.

Maybe it's the camera angles, but Queensland is flat as a pancake, and I'm from the flat part of Kansas, okay. The hills at Winton aren't very visable on TV either. With both Winton and Queensland, there's nothing right up by the track that shows up on camera, so it's hard to get a sense of speed or perspective when watching races at either of those tracks. At Queensland, Turns 1 and 2 just don't look as fast as the telemetry says they are when you're watching, because you don't have objects by the track close enough to provide a good frame of reference. Winton simply has no quick corners really, nor any particularly long straights where these 650hp beasts can properly stretch their legs.

So, yeah, Canberra delivers a greater sense of speed in those sections where the cars really do get going. It delivers a superior atmosphere in some respects by actually having buildings, trees, and grandstands right there next to the track, where you actually see them the whole time on the film footage. And street circuits tend much moreso than permanent road courses to have real curbs, which upset the cars, add to the show, and can precipitate an opportunistic dive for position.

So, no, I wasn't exactly kidding about my comments relating Canberra, Winton, and Queensland.

At least last year Queensland had some nice dips in the pavement which allowed you to see the cars moving around more clearly. However, it won't surprise me if those have been "fixed" for this year.

And no, I don't inherently dislike small/compact tracks. I liked Amaroo Park, and I enjoy Barbagallo. Lime Rock Park, here in the States, is another good one on that smaller scale.

Now, a road course like the hungaroring, with very powerful cars, that can certainly drive me nuts. I don't usually much enjoy the F1 Hungarian GP.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 04:46 (Ref:3041280)   #18
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
hey why dont we not go into a street circuit vs permanent circuit discusion. its been done to death over many threads, go and argue away in them (you might even be able to come up with something new/ eye opening

it is off topic and irrelevant to this topic
Old 15 Mar 2012, 05:06 (Ref:3041284)   #19
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Quote:

At least last year Queensland had some nice dips in the pavement which allowed you to see the cars moving around more clearly. However, it won't surprise me if those have been "fixed" for this year.
Those "dips" have no place on a normal road--let alone on a race track--they are just plain dangerous.
Given you are from"out of town" you are excused from my full invective-- but honestly-- Canberra circuit was the most ill conceived imaginable-- both the track and event itself.
To make a point about circuits-- Calder is mostly flat-- not very complicated track( hardly used these days for political reasons) but I have seen some great racing there in many different categories including V8's.From a driving perspective I have always enjoyed this track.
For spectators--it is great as they can see most of the track-- as per Winton & QR.
I tend to think that tracks where people can actually see the action are preferable eg Nascar where there are real live spectators.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 05:36 (Ref:3041290)   #20
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
I have different criteria for what I expect from in a road course versus a street circuit.

As for road courses, I prefer them with elevation changes, and with things like trees and hills in fairly close proximity to the track. Now, there are a few "flat" road courses that are pretty good; Portland and Sebring are the first two that come to mind. However, they both still have those other things close-by to give that frame of reference.

I simply lack the eyesight to be able to take advantage of or enjoy those tracks that allow viewing of virtually the entire course from one spot. It just doesn't work for me. Besides, I prefer moving around the track rather than being stuck in a grandstand seat, and if I'm moving around that much, I want to see something different at the next vantage point, rather than the same thing just from a different view. For me, a day at Road America is a day of Heaven on Earth (I've twice been to Elkhart Lake). And as to the eye thing, I can't do anything about it until the good doctors figure out how to repair crushed uptic nerves.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 05:44 (Ref:3041293)   #21
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As has been mentioned numerous times on here, the negatives for the Canberra race were its poor choice of a winter month which not only lent itself to freezing conditions, but the track location itself whilst picturesque sits next to Lake Burley Griffin which either brings the fog factor into the equation or a freezing cold wind off the water. The track itself was far too narrow and i remember listening to Glenn Seton screaming out during an on board cross '' i passed him , i passed him '' like it was some sort of miracle. Unfortunately with the exception of the '' Summernats '' Canberrans in general don't seem up for anything that goes faster than an Action bus and would rather attend Floriade or something that requires a blanket and a glass of chardonay. Many Canberrans have become frustrated since the drag strip was put to bed many years ago , so an out of town motor sport facility including a race track and drag strip may be an option although the current Government down here would rather spend a fortune on outrageously expensive and ugly road side art and multi cultural events.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 05:50 (Ref:3041295)   #22
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
isnt wakefield park near canberra, coudn't the ACT government slip some cash there way to improve the track/facilities
Old 15 Mar 2012, 05:56 (Ref:3041298)   #23
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
isnt wakefield park near canberra, coudn't the ACT government slip some cash there way to improve the track/facilities
Wakefield Park is about an hour from Canberra and whilst an option , people from Canberra and surrounding areas may as well tack on an extra hour and a bit and go to Sydney.
WP is very similar to Canberra with its temperatures , so again the timing off the event is important plus the fog at WP has been known to play havoc on more than one occasion.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 06:10 (Ref:3041300)   #24
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Quote:
I have different criteria for what I expect from in a road course versus a street circuit.

I simply lack the eyesight to be able to take advantage of or enjoy those tracks that allow viewing of virtually the entire course from one spot. It just doesn't work for me. Besides, I prefer moving around the track rather than being stuck in a grandstand seat, and if I'm moving around that much, I want to see something different at the next vantage point, rather than the same thing just from a different view. .
Apologies for sounding pedantic-- to clarify-- permanent Australian circuits you can see track from many vantage points AND move around. By way of contrast -- the AGP at Albert Park is very difficult to see much of track without grandstand seat( where I think the max view of cars per lap is about 12 seconds-- I lived 500 metres from the longest grandstand view (T-1)of track and spent some time working out the best places to watch from !!)-- I could see more(albeit at a distance) of the track from home!!
My point is this-- most of the non permanent tracks are not great for live spectating.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 06:13 (Ref:3041301)   #25
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Wakefield Park is about an hour from Canberra and whilst an option , people from Canberra and surrounding areas may as well tack on an extra hour and a bit and go to Sydney.
WP is very similar to Canberra with its temperatures , so again the timing off the event is important plus the fog at WP has been known to play havoc on more than one occasion.
WP is a great little track-- and permanent. A few years back they had the opportunity to extend -- I am sure a fraction of Gov money to assist would have seen that happen and it is there PERMANENTLY for the benefit of ALL motorsport.