Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Feb 2004, 19:27 (Ref:872286)   #1
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Davidson - BAR or Jordan?

With Pantano apparantly signed for Jordan, I heard whispers that Anthony Davidson was offered the drive before him, but rejected it as the team wanted him to bring more funding than he had at present and would have to search for more.

The question is, should he have accepted it, searched for the funding to obtain a GP race seat or stick with BAR as a paid test driver?

My view no question - stay where he is. If Williams do poach Button as rumoured, a BAR seat will be free in '05. If he went to Jordan, what chance of him being retained for '05?
debate on...
Old 12 Feb 2004, 19:52 (Ref:872310)   #2
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure... it is hard to argue with a race seat. Many drivers have successfully used Minardi as a springboard to bigger/better/faster teams, so I don't see why a Jordan drive would be that much different.

At the same time, BAR is showing some pace in testing, much much more promise than the Jordan. A testing seat at a competitive team has its advantages over a race seat at poor team, so I guess that's what Davidson was after.

From the teammate comparison point of view, I'm not sure which team would offer the tougher competition. At BAR you run up against Button (who seems to be talked up quite a lot lately) and Sato (who may impress at any time... or end up in the litter with no wheels left). At Jordan you have consistently quick Nick. Hard to say which environment a Rookie would prefer to be in...
Old 12 Feb 2004, 20:00 (Ref:872321)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Davidson will probably get more miles under his belt this year in the BAR than he would've got in a Jordan.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 20:49 (Ref:872377)   #4
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Stay at BAR no question, the car is looking good and Ant will do himself more favours running every Friday with then than joining Jordan.

In the fullness of time BAR will probably become Honda (by 2006 at any rate), Ant is liked by Honda, and who know's JB may move onto to pastures new, leaving a vacant seat...?

Bullish as ever, Jordan are claiming that they can be on terms with BAR, quote from A/sport "we are not putting BAR and Toyota ahead of us"

Although very early days, looking at the first run out they had together, there is some work to be done to achieve this....

Maybe Jordan will turn out a superb car and be challenging for best of the rest, but from a career point of view, better to stick within a factory team environment, than chance your arm amongst the privateers. IMO.
Old 13 Feb 2004, 00:48 (Ref:872628)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Iirc, Ant siad last year that he wouldn't be a paying driver, so his only option was to stay at BAR. (Which, imo, was the better choice)
Old 13 Feb 2004, 10:40 (Ref:872956)   #6
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes stay at BAR. It's a much better car (even so far as testing times say). At this stage, the Jordan would be the kiss of death for his career.

I think Jordan would be better off employing a journeyman driver who wants one last year in a cruise-and-collect mission. Then if it ends his career, it matters not.

Last edited by DriverT; 13 Feb 2004 at 10:42.
Old 13 Feb 2004, 13:07 (Ref:873113)   #7
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do drivers who spend more than one year in testing ever get back to race seats? There's a list of drivers as long as my arm who think that a long-term testing role is the way to break into racing and it rarely works out. The only guys who move from testing to racing (Montoya, Sato, Webber, etc.) are the ones who were hired as testers with the sole intention of putting them in a race seat the next year. After so many years, I think Anthony is wasting his time at BAR and should be racing somewhere, even if not in F1.
Old 13 Feb 2004, 13:32 (Ref:873141)   #8
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It didn't do Coulthard, Blundell or Hill any harm at Williams all those years ago!
Old 13 Feb 2004, 14:20 (Ref:873187)   #9
Testure
Veteran

Didn't they all only have single year test drive contracts? I don't think Coulthard spent much time in 1994 as a test driver at all, in fact.
Old 13 Feb 2004, 14:56 (Ref:873221)   #10
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
You could be right. Perhaps it would be better if Ant did some racing too, aswell as test duties - but having to be on hand at all of the GPs, plus midweek testing would not leave too much time I think.
Old 13 Feb 2004, 15:29 (Ref:873252)   #11
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he is better off where he is ...So far , he has taken a different approach to most other drivers , i and i think it will pay off for him in the long run .

I really hope it does , as i think he will be a very quick driver in F1 once he gets a proper race seat .

I think he deserves to be racing in F1 , but wait for the right seat to come along .
Old 13 Feb 2004, 15:58 (Ref:873286)   #12
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Took your time Jay! Thought you'd be first to respond..
Old 13 Feb 2004, 16:45 (Ref:873327)   #13
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If a team is looking for an experienced tesrer for a race seat they'd have to look to Alex Wurz before Ant Davidson, surely? I think Davidson is making a big mistake - if he possibly could get in the Jordan he'd have a full season of second chances to prove himself against a proper team-mate, which is the only criteria that counts in a car-dominant formula.
Old 13 Feb 2004, 18:12 (Ref:873422)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
There is another school of thought to look at here. If Anthony is employed by BAR for the next three years (just for arguements sake) isn't that better for him financiallt or career wise than doing one season in the Jordan, for which he would have to pay heavily, and then be out of work next year? I know which I would choose. Don't forget that Dave Richards must also think highly of Anthony to have kept him on as part of the team.
Old 13 Feb 2004, 19:12 (Ref:873487)   #15
Testure
Veteran

I suppose we're all assuming that he badly wants a race seat. As Stephen hints at there, even a test role with an F1 team must pay pretty well these days, so it's not as if he'll have to sign on the dole whatever happens to him. So, if he's happy where he is, then good luck to him!

If he is after a race seat, though, then I think he's making a mistake. It's been three years since he raced full-time. The skills required for a race weekend have to be kept sharp...
Old 14 Feb 2004, 11:43 (Ref:874056)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ant will never get another chance in F1. He didn't look impressive in his races at Minardi, he will be very race-rusty by the end of 2004, and so many new young drivers are on the up. If Button does go to Williams, BAR will get a huge payout, so they'll be able to bring someone in from outside - maybe the likes of DC.

If he could've obtained funding for the Jordan drive, he should've taken it. He had every chance of matching Heidfeld and using it for career development. Staying at BAR is a big gamble - Friday testers are unlikely to get much mass-media coverage, even if they are faster than the race driver, although I suppose only Ant really knows how Honda see him.
Old 14 Feb 2004, 12:12 (Ref:874079)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think you must've been watching something different - Davidson did impress me with his runs in the Minardi.

And I don't think he need worry about being forgotten about.

He did his first year in F3 in 2001.

He was going to do another season in 2002 - but tested for BAR instead.

He stayed at BAR in 2003, whereas if he'd stayed in F3 the year before he may have spent 2003 in F3000.

Now he's number 1 tester at BAR, in a year when he could've just been scrabbling around looking for a breakthrough if he'd followed an alternative "conventional" career path.
Old 14 Feb 2004, 19:34 (Ref:874278)   #18
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
Took your time Jay! Thought you'd be first to respond..
hehehe...yes , i was a bit slow on that one !

Im just hoping that if Button does leave BAR , then they give Davidson a race seat ...afterall , Button and Davidson have been down simular routes in their junior career , short FF career with Haywood Racing , 1 year in British F3 , then F1 , both won the Autosport award too !.... Davidson is incredibly talented and would be the perfect driver to replace Button should the situation arise ...And with Sato , i think Davidson and Sato would push each other well in the right direction that is needed .

Yep , Davidson for BAR race seat if it should become availble then id be happy !

Last edited by Sato san; 14 Feb 2004 at 19:37.
Old 14 Feb 2004, 20:47 (Ref:874304)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Davidson and Sato.....that's your dream team Jay!!!
Old 14 Feb 2004, 23:05 (Ref:874386)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Testure

If he is after a race seat, though, then I think he's making a mistake. It's been three years since he raced full-time. The skills required for a race weekend have to be kept sharp...
Although not F1, but i'm sure that Ant's BAR contract also allows him to say in other series. Iirc, i watched a review where he was driving Ferrari's in a race series last season?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
I think you must've been watching something different - Davidson did impress me with his runs in the Minardi.

He impressed me too
Old 15 Feb 2004, 01:53 (Ref:874484)   #21
Testure
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
Although not F1, but i'm sure that Ant's BAR contract also allows him to say in other series. Iirc, i watched a review where he was driving Ferrari's in a race series last season?
Yep, he had one-off races driving Prodrive Ferraris at LeMans and Sebring last year. Nothing significant, though. I mean, even Marc Gené (who does way more testing than Davidson), was in a few Nissan World Series races last year.
Old 15 Feb 2004, 11:33 (Ref:874714)   #22
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ultimately, spinning off twice is what people will remember, even if there were reasons. He wasn't anywhere near as fast as Webber either - although he is a good barometer.

Can anyone name any driver who has got back into F1 after only a handful of races mroe than 2 years previous? Only Alex Zanardi and Jan Lammers come to mind - hardly a glorious act to follow.
Old 15 Feb 2004, 13:50 (Ref:874818)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
He wasn't anywhere near as fast as Webber either - although he is a good barometer.

Actually, he was nearly 6/10ths of a second faster at Spa (His fastest race lap in relation to Marks).

Ant 1:51.878 Mark 1:52.469

Not too sure of the Hungary times though.
Old 15 Feb 2004, 14:34 (Ref:874846)   #24
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Couple of points:

1. When Sato was racing for Jordan in 2002 and Davidson was testing for BAR, they compared notes afterwards and guess who had done the most miles? Yup, it was Ant!

2. This is just from menory, but I think Ant was in contention for the Jordan drive last year, and possibly the Jaguar one as well until he and his management said they were not prepared to pay. Brave move, but right attitude. Why be branded as a rent-a-driver?

Personally I think Ant should definitely stay where he is this year, because the chances for for an official Friday test driver to shine are better than ever. And, yes, I do realise it didn't do Alan McNish much good last year and that's a crying shame.
Old 15 Feb 2004, 14:48 (Ref:874860)   #25
Avid Merrion
Racer

Avid Merrion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Can anyone name any driver who has got back into F1 after only a handful of races mroe than 2 years previous?
Jan Magnussen Mclaren Aida 1995 ?