Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Feb 2007, 12:52 (Ref:1832531)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Abu Dhabi gets seven year deal!

Another "Middle East" GP.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56583

Last edited by Marbot; 3 Feb 2007 at 12:54.
Old 3 Feb 2007, 13:55 (Ref:1832558)   #2
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And it was totally necessary to build a new track (probably by Tilke)?
Old 3 Feb 2007, 14:17 (Ref:1832569)   #3
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's another Tilke Job. With another long straight - slow hairpin. Woop.

How interesting.

Where the hell is Abu-Dhabi anyway?
Old 3 Feb 2007, 14:27 (Ref:1832572)   #4
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's in the United Arab Emirates. Bordered by Saudi Arabia. Closest GP track right now is Bahrain.
Old 3 Feb 2007, 14:34 (Ref:1832574)   #5
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ecclestone himself was certain this Track will be Tilke's best yet.

"The Tilke group has learnt its lessons from the tracks it built in the past and put all those lessons in to this track," Ecclestone stated.

"We consider it will offer the best F1 racing in the world."

Pretty big statements there from uncle Bernie, obviously these lessons learnt do not involve his rather irritating long straight with tight hairpin obsession!

Still it remains to be seen how it'll turn out, maybe with shades of Monaco with a semi-street course? If I was being honest I think Tilke is getting slightly better, as the Istanbul GP circuit is a valiant effort that's marred only by pathetic spectator numbers.
Old 3 Feb 2007, 16:18 (Ref:1832612)   #6
amier
Racer

amier has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
And whats wrong with that?? Europe does not have any god given right to host them all.
Old 3 Feb 2007, 16:20 (Ref:1832613)   #7
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by amier
And whats wrong with that?? Europe does not have any god given right to host them all.
Perhaps because nearly all the teams and drivers are from Europe?
Old 3 Feb 2007, 16:25 (Ref:1832618)   #8
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I am not sure I understand the real reason for going there?
Old 3 Feb 2007, 16:35 (Ref:1832623)   #9
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
lots and lots of money
Old 3 Feb 2007, 16:51 (Ref:1832635)   #10
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is great. Seriously, F1 has brought so much to Asia, theyve got all these new tracks, where as before, there were almost none, that new Thunder Arabia championship looks like a stepping stone up to F3 and stuff like that.
Old 3 Feb 2007, 17:36 (Ref:1832658)   #11
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl
lots and lots of money
well yes my comment was somewhat tongue in cheek, and of course you are quite correct it is money driven, but who is going to attend the races?
Old 3 Feb 2007, 18:01 (Ref:1832667)   #12
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
true.
while i do like the Bahrain track and the races it has produced, attendence has been pretty poor. i dont see the situation being much better in Abu Dhabi.

hopefully by 2009 interest has increased, ticket prices will have become more affordable for the local population, and greater stability in the region will encourage more tourism.

on a brighter note, perhaps Bernie, in his infinite wisdom, is just doing this to bring peace to the Middle East

he should get nobel peace prize for his efforts!
Old 3 Feb 2007, 18:11 (Ref:1832673)   #13
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecclestone himself
"The Tilke group has learnt its lessons from the tracks it built in the past and put all those lessons in to this track...."
Don't have to tell them twice huh Bernie?

How great is that? You keep on gettin' the work after screwin-up almost all of the few first assignments. What a great gig! Wish I had a gig like that.

Mr. Tilke must be very proud.

Last edited by Last2LiftOff; 3 Feb 2007 at 18:18.
Old 3 Feb 2007, 18:11 (Ref:1832674)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
BE wants twenty (20) races within the next three years!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56584
Old 3 Feb 2007, 18:24 (Ref:1832680)   #15
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Right Martyn.

With five countries "waiting to see if (they) can put a race there" pretty sure it's oversubscribed. My concern would be which one or two we're gonna lose. China? Bahrain? Malaysia even? I'm a frayed knot.
Old 3 Feb 2007, 18:41 (Ref:1832693)   #16
Rushy
Racer

United Kingdom
Rushy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is it like the same country as dubai??
Old 3 Feb 2007, 18:48 (Ref:1832699)   #17
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff
Right Martyn.

With five countries "waiting to see if (they) can put a race there" pretty sure it's oversubscribed. My concern would be which one or two we're gonna lose. China? Bahrain? Malaysia even? I'm a frayed knot.

And this is what I think is extremely unfair..They go ahead and build these facilities at huge cost only to stand loosing the race in the not too distant future..
Old 3 Feb 2007, 20:34 (Ref:1832790)   #18
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What the hell is the point of a new circuit in Abu Dhabi when there is Dubai Autodrome!
Old 3 Feb 2007, 22:20 (Ref:1832865)   #19
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushy
is it like the same country as dubai??
Yes it's the largest Emirate in the United Arab Emirates, which also includes the Emirate of Dubai.

The Dubai Autodrome is less than 70 miles up the coast from the proposed site of the Abu Dhabi GP track.

IMO, the Dubai Autodrome is one of the best tracks to be constructed in the last 10 years (also NOT a Tilke design).

Last edited by Flat12-Aircool; 3 Feb 2007 at 22:22.
Old 3 Feb 2007, 22:50 (Ref:1832875)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wow... soon we'll have a middle east GP besides Bahrain. Looks like Bernie likes the desert.
Old 3 Feb 2007, 23:53 (Ref:1832897)   #21
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2LiftOff
...My concern would be which one or two we're gonna lose. China? Bahrain? Malaysia even? I'm a frayed knot.
Unfortunately, I think we will lose one of the best host cities, Montreal, after their contract runs out in a few years. A few years ago Bernie blackmailed the Canadian national and Quebec provincial governments into forking over big bucks to keep the race. He will try to do it again when the contract comes up for renewal and this time the Canadians will refuse to pay his price (and I won't blame them). He will give that race to some nouveau-riche country with no tradition of auto racing whose government is willing to pay his price. And when this day arrives, I will cease being a fan of F1.
Old 4 Feb 2007, 00:00 (Ref:1832900)   #22
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But then, F1 is a TV sport anyway these days I'd say.
Old 4 Feb 2007, 01:04 (Ref:1832922)   #23
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHWS
And when this day arrives, I will cease being a fan of F1.
Yeh right, I've heard that one before loads of times.

Spa was missing last year and Imola will be missing this year but after the fans initial tears they all come back again.

If Montreal is axed from the calender I'm sure it won't be permanent. I think Uncle Bernie wants 20 races that are rotated between about 25 circuits, so that he can keep a kind of Auction system going to the highest bidder.
Old 4 Feb 2007, 05:25 (Ref:1832983)   #24
ausracefan
Rookie

Australia
Frankston
ausracefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's wrong with that track in Dubai? Looked like a great track when i saw the A1GPs race there last year.
Old 4 Feb 2007, 05:36 (Ref:1832987)   #25
locco
Rookie

locco has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

abu dhabi track.. it might be a great track, but the atmosphere will be boring like bahrain you just can't force a sport to the people there, the locals there love speed and cars, but they're not into motorsports so why force it, even if the whole point of it I think is to promote the country and the cities, its kind of embaressing to see a f1 grand prix with almost empty seats. even after giving the tickets away for free!!