Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Option Tyre?
yes bring it in it will bring more passing. 22 75.86%
couldn't care. 4 13.79%
no don't want it, it will stuff things up. 3 10.34%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29 May 2007, 05:42 (Ref:1923414)   #26
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure different tyre compounds is the answer.
Old 29 May 2007, 06:44 (Ref:1923428)   #27
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was reading in V8X that Dunlop Australia was bought by Goodyear and that the tyres might now be made in the USA rather Japan. I like the idea of mini enduro's, like the Queensland 300 back in 2005. I reckon make Oran Park, Winton and Warick rounds mini enduros.
Old 29 May 2007, 06:57 (Ref:1923436)   #28
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
here's a thought......

With 3 tyre companies seemingly willing to support V8Supercars, why not allow the lot of them in, that would spice the racing up a hell of alot more than this 'option tyre' and 'compulsory pitstop' rubbish. It would also make the whole series alot less contrived, and to top it all off might lead to the whole thing everyone seems to be screaming out for, different winners at different tracks (as different tyres might suit different tracks better)
Old 29 May 2007, 07:11 (Ref:1923446)   #29
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That goes against the whole control componentry direction the series is going in though, and the reason why they went to a single supplier in the first place
Old 29 May 2007, 14:36 (Ref:1923828)   #30
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
A brand new tyre construction & compound from someone who has not supplied the sport for many years would be the biggest shakeup in the racing... as the teams have to get used to the new tyre's characteristics...
Introducing a new tyre will merely widen the gap between the good teams and the others, as the good teams have the analytical and simulation nous to learn it faster. Right now, all teams have a pretty good handle on the tyres.

With regard to the discussion on improving the spectacle, it would be better to lengthen the race and replace the CPS (tyre/fuel) with voluntary fuel/tyre strategies. This keeps the sporting purity and keeps everyone guessing on what the others are doing (just like F1). This wont work with short sprint races however.
Old 29 May 2007, 14:56 (Ref:1923843)   #31
pete55
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester
Introducing a new tyre will merely widen the gap between the good teams and the others, as the good teams have the analytical and simulation nous to learn it faster. Right now, all teams have a pretty good handle on the tyres.

With regard to the discussion on improving the spectacle, it would be better to lengthen the race and replace the CPS (tyre/fuel) with voluntary fuel/tyre strategies. This keeps the sporting purity and keeps everyone guessing on what the others are doing (just like F1). This wont work with short sprint races however.

At least now the CPS's don't start in the first few laps.
Old 29 May 2007, 17:36 (Ref:1923983)   #32
Also a Believer
Veteran

Also a Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With regard to the discussion on improving the spectacle, it would be better to lengthen the race and replace the CPS (tyre/fuel) with voluntary fuel/tyre strategies. This keeps the sporting purity and keeps everyone guessing on what the others are doing (just like F1). This wont work with short sprint races however.[/QUOTE]

Would work if the fuel tanks where made smaller
Old 29 May 2007, 23:16 (Ref:1924252)   #33
speedreader
Racer

Australia
speedreader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The one thing I do enjoy with F1 is the unknown factor about fuel levels both in qualifying and at the start of the race.

The CPS in V8's are in most instances a farce as virtually everyone stops as soon as the pit window opens (weather not being a factor of course) so they dont get caught out by a pace car. The only benefit this brings to the spectacle is the possibility of a team making a mistake during the pit stop ie a jammed wheel nut etc.

If we had a look at a 'similar' system to F1 whereby you have to start with the fuel level you finish qualifying with, maybe smaller fuel tanks to force pit stops later in the races and some way of easing the impact of the pace car so teams were encouraged to choose different strategies it would make for more interesting racing.

Having multiple tyre companies and nominated option compounds at the beginning of each round might work too but only if each tyre company made the committment to be able to supply up to a full grid of tyres for each round all at the same price - probably not an viable option for them. If we could get this to work though it would (hopefully) negate the need for sponsored teams and favouritism as it would ensure that any team could have access to any tyre brand / option at any race meeting - just as long as they (the teams) nominate which brand / option tyre they are to use on the Saturday morning before qualifying... It would definitely add another element to the racing but also adds more emphasis to tyre brand / compound testing on test day's which may end up costing more and this goes against the idea of reducing costs with the control tyre.

All just quick thoughts for now to get people thinking
Old 31 May 2007, 02:56 (Ref:1925097)   #34
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
So... there are 3 suppliers (Pirelli, SPT/Dunlop and Yokohama) allegedly in the mix for the control tyre contract from next year and beyond
So no Bridgestone? Not like them to miss a marketing opportunity.

If they go with Pirelli, at least their qualifiers will be good
Old 31 May 2007, 03:15 (Ref:1925105)   #35
banksie
Racer

Australia
Victoria
banksie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
At least now the CPS's don't start in the first few laps.
They changed that rule for Winton and onwards. Didn't you notice how Whincup pitted before 1/3rd race distance in race 1 at least? They moved the window back to lap 5 till 2/3rd race distance I believe. Typical of the series though, they didn't bother to inform fans of the change.

As for smaller fuel tanks, the fuel levels don't impact the lap speed enough to have a serious affect. Look at Clipsal, generally the cars still all pit twice early to avoid a safety car.
Old 31 May 2007, 04:34 (Ref:1925120)   #36
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksie
As for smaller fuel tanks, the fuel levels don't impact the lap speed enough to have a serious affect. Look at Clipsal, generally the cars still all pit twice early to avoid a safety car.
Might make a difference if you reduced it by 50%. Other than probably Sandown and Bathurst, what other races would they start on a full tank?? Why run sprint race with 120 litres onboard, doesn't make sense....

Now a 50-60 litre tank would make things interesting, and to the same extent limit the amount of fuel that can be used after Friday, and bingo you've got a couple teams on the ropes, and not just the ones down the blunt end of the field.

Back to thread at hand, I hope whoever gets the contract, builds a better tyre than what we have now. The tyres really need some serious improvement on the construction side, which should in turn extract some marginally better lap times.
Old 31 May 2007, 04:38 (Ref:1925122)   #37
pete55
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygirl
The one thing I do enjoy with F1 is the unknown factor about fuel levels both in qualifying and at the start of the race.

If we had a look at a 'similar' system to F1 whereby you have to start with the fuel level you finish qualifying with, maybe smaller fuel tanks to force pit stops later in the races and some way of easing the impact of the pace car so teams were encouraged to choose different strategies it would make for more interesting racing.
This is a better idea than different tyre compounds. That and longer races, especially at tracks that has pit facilities for enduro races.
Old 31 May 2007, 06:44 (Ref:1925154)   #38
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
I was reading in V8X that Dunlop Australia was bought by Goodyear and that the tyres might now be made in the USA rather Japan. I like the idea of mini enduro's, like the Queensland 300 back in 2005. I reckon make Oran Park, Winton and Warick rounds mini enduros.
Winton has been there/done that and it is not conducive for 300k's races IMHO.
Old 31 May 2007, 08:33 (Ref:1925239)   #39
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i thought both 300's were much more enjoyable , than last years round and race 3 this year
Old 1 Jun 2007, 00:52 (Ref:1925808)   #40
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Skaife said on panelbeaters the other week that the direction they were going in was to have an updated compound with the same grip but longer lasting, more durable and less sensitive to lockups.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 1 Jun 2007, 19:00 (Ref:1926462)   #41
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875
That goes against the whole control componentry direction the series is going in though, and the reason why they went to a single supplier in the first place
The whole control componentry direction is wrong, that is the reason why there is little overtaking, all the cars are the same, rather than having characteristics that will make one faster than another in one section, and slower than another in a different section. Tyres being a part of this, I'd prefer different suppliers, as racer 69 said. If they still want a control tyre, it should be really soft, as driving styles will determin how quick the car goes, and for how long. It'd also kill two birds with one stone, as since the tyres would go off pretty quick, the cars would stay out longer before pitting, as they wouldn't be able to go 90% of the race on the same set of tyres.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 1 Jun 2007, 22:13 (Ref:1926574)   #42
V8's rule
Racer

V8's rule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuiE
The whole control componentry direction is wrong, that is the reason why there is little overtaking, all the cars are the same, rather than having characteristics that will make one faster than another in one section, and slower than another in a different section. Tyres being a part of this, I'd prefer different suppliers, as racer 69 said. If they still want a control tyre, it should be really soft, as driving styles will determin how quick the car goes, and for how long. It'd also kill two birds with one stone, as since the tyres would go off pretty quick, the cars would stay out longer before pitting, as they wouldn't be able to go 90% of the race on the same set of tyres.

YEA RIGHT!!

Old 2 Jun 2007, 01:09 (Ref:1926641)   #43
Lukin
Racer

Australia
Perth
Lukin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Giving them better grip and/or more sustainable tyre grip will definately help the racing.

In Perth 04 the track was resurfaced to give more grip and the racing was much better.

If a quick car can do a 80 second lap and a slow car 82 second lap on new tyres and both lose the same amount of grip (say 3-5%) due to tyre wear the quicker car will lose more and it will be much harder to pass.

Look at Bathurst, the track grips up over the day so there is still some good racing at the end. Look at Winton, no track or tyre grip, boring as bat****.
Old 2 Jun 2007, 02:13 (Ref:1926646)   #44
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Make them run on ROAD tyres ... I GUARANTEE you will get passing and I GUARANTEE you will not need CPS ever again.
Old 2 Jun 2007, 02:21 (Ref:1926649)   #45
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuiE
Absolutely 100% cerrrrect ... how long before these boneheads that run motor sport work out that in a "premier" category, the difference between the best driver and the 20th driver on the grid is minimal.

If all the cars are all the same and the penalty for having a go (unless you are Mums Boy) is'nt worth the risk (relative to the points system), it follows quite logically that you will simply have processions unless the weather conditions (e.g. Winton) mix things up.

Quite frankly, they ought to "create" these conditiond for every meeting the way it is now.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 08:30 (Ref:1941415)   #46
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Option Tyre? (Merged x1)

with a new tender for tyre supplier could an option tyre be brought in ala F1 and ChampCar? i think yes and are all for it as it is the only way we can bring back passing other than driving past someone in pitlane.

so what do you think?
Old 19 Jun 2007, 09:23 (Ref:1941464)   #47
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two different compounds could really spice up the racing if you have to use them both during the weekend.

Some may choose to go soft and qualify well, but those who qualify bad may keep the softies for the last part of each race and use their better grip to pass the cars in front.

Of course within two races all temas may end up on the same strategy but at least it would be a genuine variable.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 09:29 (Ref:1941470)   #48
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Everyone will probably end up using the stratergy but I think a tyre with greater grip would improve racing.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 11:09 (Ref:1941578)   #49
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, and I want the ones that make coloured smoke as well.
Old 19 Jun 2007, 13:31 (Ref:1941697)   #50
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
like the ones used at Summernats blue for Fords red for Holdens.

if i were to determine rules on these tyres i would hathese.

*you can practice and qualify on either/both.

*you have to use the "option tyre" in each race when and for how long is up to the teams.

if we had the option tyre it would certainly spice Clipsal, Sandown and Bathurst up abit.