Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 19 Dec 2011, 18:41 (Ref:3001957)   #76
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Buick Regal
Old 20 Dec 2011, 08:14 (Ref:3002135)   #77
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
*Dreams about Jägermeister Alfa's*
What about doing something like this with Red Bull?

That's it folks, world's fastest Jägerbomb...
Old 26 Dec 2011, 15:49 (Ref:3004292)   #78
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They wouldn't have to do that because DTM lets teams run each of their cars in A different livery, unlike F1 which kicked up a fuss when BAR came in with one 555 livieried car (would love to have seen Colin McRae in that!) and a Lucky Strike car. I like DTM (and pretty much evryone else) because they are so much liberal than F1.

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 26 Dec 2011, 23:09 (Ref:3004391)   #79
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
If I had to pick a fourth brand, I'd go for Cadillac. But they are investing a lot in SCCA World Challenge now.
Whatever they're spending, it will be absolute peanuts compared to a DTM program, which takes us back to why this US DTM series has all the makings of a repeat of the US Super Touring series.

Audi NA won't dip into their pockets for a pair of ALMS P1's, yet they're expected to fund six DTM cars, same for BMW, and Mercedes, and whoever else.............
Old 27 Dec 2011, 02:35 (Ref:3004414)   #80
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Whatever they're spending, it will be absolute peanuts compared to a DTM program, which takes us back to why this US DTM series has all the makings of a repeat of the US Super Touring series.

Audi NA won't dip into their pockets for a pair of ALMS P1's, yet they're expected to fund six DTM cars, same for BMW, and Mercedes, and whoever else.............
I think that is the deal I've been questioning about this American DTM, where does the money come from?

DTM costs manufacturers around $30 million each or more in Germany, so will Mercedes USA or Audi USA spend 10, 20, 30 million bucks a season? Maybe, maybe not, but it's probably a question people need to be asking.
Old 27 Dec 2011, 05:14 (Ref:3004427)   #81
fredd1
Racer

fredd1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones94 View Post
If chrysler chose to join the DTM USA championship then they might be inclined to run a Lancia in the 'European' DTM because I'm pretty sure Chrysler own Lancia. It would be an incredibly costly operation and which car would they use?
I thought the Italians owned the brand formerly owned by the Germans?
Old 27 Dec 2011, 06:37 (Ref:3004434)   #82
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I think that is the deal I've been questioning about this American DTM, where does the money come from?

DTM costs manufacturers around $30 million each or more in Germany, so will Mercedes USA or Audi USA spend 10, 20, 30 million bucks a season? Maybe, maybe not, but it's probably a question people need to be asking.
Something like $10 mio would easily be enough to run 5 or 6 one year old cars without any sponsorship if they don't go overboard with hospitatlity.
Old 27 Dec 2011, 18:14 (Ref:3004574)   #83
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flor View Post
Something like $10 mio would easily be enough to run 5 or 6 one year old cars without any sponsorship if they don't go overboard with hospitatlity.
Yup - the bad part are the developement budgets and those are already spend in the mother series.
Old 27 Dec 2011, 19:41 (Ref:3004604)   #84
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that if they want a sucssesful series they should open up the regs to anything PRE-2002. Return of the Opel's, old shape C-Class Merc/ CLK and mp personal favourite: ABT Audi TT-R DTM!

Old 27 Dec 2011, 20:25 (Ref:3004618)   #85
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam46 View Post
I think that if they want a sucssesful series they should open up the regs to anything PRE-2002. Return of the Opel's, old shape C-Class Merc/ CLK and mp personal favourite: ABT Audi TT-R DTM!
No way, you can't launch a new series with old machinery, the FIA GT1 has shown that.
Old 27 Dec 2011, 20:39 (Ref:3004622)   #86
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
Not even just for proper privateers on a kind of Jon Field level? Maybe if they say to works squads you have to do the same as in DTM (maximum age one or two year old), but for the first two years give maybe a 4-6 year max age to US privateers so the US fans get some names they may have heard of, because I doubt they could really advertise someone like say Mattias Ekstrom, because I can't imagine he is big in mainstream America.

I hope they do it during winter because then maybe you might get Kristensen, McNish and other Le Mans drivers over!

Old 27 Dec 2011, 20:51 (Ref:3004628)   #87
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flor View Post
Easy to say, but so far I haven't seen any of those manufacturers budge. For this series to happen things need to start rolling this year and for it to be success, manufacturers are going to have to open up the wallet with big money.

We already have ALMS, Grand AM and a plethora of semi pro touring car type series. So you just can't start up something called Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters USA and then expect people to flood through the gates. It's going to take a lot of promotion and factory support to pull this off. Once that happens I'll be more confident this will be a success or even happen to start with.
Old 30 Dec 2011, 11:12 (Ref:3005475)   #88
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Adam, Grand-Am already has a championship for touring cars, it's the Conti Challenge. Races are longer than in DTM and there are two drivers per car, but still. The point of bringing the DTM to the United States is to go full pro.
Old 7 Jan 2012, 10:36 (Ref:3008569)   #89
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam46 View Post
I doubt they could really advertise someone like say Mattias Ekstrom, because I can't imagine he is big in mainstream America.
Hasn't Mathias done a few Nascar-races 1 or 2 years ago? I can remember that he was critisised for not concentrating enough on his DTM-season.
Old 7 Jan 2012, 19:35 (Ref:3008654)   #90
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner View Post
Hasn't Mathias done a few Nascar-races 1 or 2 years ago? I can remember that he was critisised for not concentrating enough on his DTM-season.
He starred at the Glen (I think) in 2010. Top 10 till getting caught in an accident or something. Impressed a lot of people I thought.
Old 7 Jan 2012, 21:23 (Ref:3008709)   #91
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
He starred at the Glen (I think) in 2010. Top 10 till getting caught in an accident or something. Impressed a lot of people I thought.
Pretty close.

Ekström ran at Infineon (Sonoma/Sears Point) and again at Richmond. His run at Infineon wasn't too shabby; he ran top ten and even led almost entirely due to fuel strategy, before getting involved in some messes (one with Brad Keselowski, who completely dumped him) and finishing 21st. He was fairly impressive, though nothing too special (the Red Bull cars have never been very good, though, either). He returned to run the oval race at Richmond and his impressive run was forgotten; he was flat-out embarrassing, having never been on an oval before and jumping right up to the highest level of oval racing conceivable, qualifying forty-second and plugging around to thirty-first, four laps down.

Regardless, I don't think his two races in NASCAR make him very "mainstream." The name would ring a bell with the hardcore NASCAR fans who happen to already watch a lot of other racing, including the DTM re-airs on SPEED in the winter (though V8 Supercars and BTCC are both more popular in the U.S. than DTM and WTCC; V8SC is a large margin ahead of the rest, but even if you combined the viewership of all four, which isn't very precise since there's a lot of overlap, it wouldn't register as very much).

I guess on a general note, the U.S. racing market is so over-saturated that bringing in more series is a bit of a waste. There's a small niche for the consumption of auto racing, and it already has every series below NASCAR Sprint Cup competing for it (Nationwide, NHRA, Camping World Truck, Formula One, IndyCar, American Le Mans, and Grand-Am for major series alone...then you get into all the lower tiers of NASCAR, USAC, Indy Lights, all the things IMSA and SCCA sanction, the Grand-Am Challenge, a WTCC round, a pending V8SC round at a track that will never get built, etc, etc, etc).
Old 26 Jun 2012, 16:22 (Ref:3098495)   #92
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The lack of news on this topic does not bode well for a planned 2013 launch. Anybody have any news, or is this dead in the water?
Old 26 Jun 2012, 16:55 (Ref:3098511)   #93
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
*Dreams about Martini and Jägermeister Alfa's*
Jägerbeemer!

Old 26 Jun 2012, 19:27 (Ref:3098591)   #94
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
The lack of news on this topic does not bode well for a planned 2013 launch. Anybody have any news, or is this dead in the water?
Well, you can poke the corpse with a stick.
Old 27 Jun 2012, 01:22 (Ref:3098758)   #95
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones94 View Post
If chrysler chose to join the DTM USA championship then they might be inclined to run a Lancia in the 'European' DTM because I'm pretty sure Chrysler own Lancia. It would be an incredibly costly operation and which car would they use?
Or just use the Chrysler 300/Lancia Thema and the only part of the car that would be different is the grille.
Old 28 Jun 2012, 13:49 (Ref:3099427)   #96
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
Pretty close.

Ekström ran at Infineon (Sonoma/Sears Point) and again at Richmond. His run at Infineon wasn't too shabby; he ran top ten and even led almost entirely due to fuel strategy, before getting involved in some messes (one with Brad Keselowski, who completely dumped him) and finishing 21st. He was fairly impressive, though nothing too special (the Red Bull cars have never been very good, though, either). He returned to run the oval race at Richmond and his impressive run was forgotten; he was flat-out embarrassing, having never been on an oval before and jumping right up to the highest level of oval racing conceivable, qualifying forty-second and plugging around to thirty-first, four laps down.

Regardless, I don't think his two races in NASCAR make him very "mainstream." The name would ring a bell with the hardcore NASCAR fans who happen to already watch a lot of other racing, including the DTM re-airs on SPEED in the winter (though V8 Supercars and BTCC are both more popular in the U.S. than DTM and WTCC; V8SC is a large margin ahead of the rest, but even if you combined the viewership of all four, which isn't very precise since there's a lot of overlap, it wouldn't register as very much).

I guess on a general note, the U.S. racing market is so over-saturated that bringing in more series is a bit of a waste. There's a small niche for the consumption of auto racing, and it already has every series below NASCAR Sprint Cup competing for it (Nationwide, NHRA, Camping World Truck, Formula One, IndyCar, American Le Mans, and Grand-Am for major series alone...then you get into all the lower tiers of NASCAR, USAC, Indy Lights, all the things IMSA and SCCA sanction, the Grand-Am Challenge, a WTCC round, a pending V8SC round at a track that will never get built, etc, etc, etc).
The Circuit of America Track is on schedule, An announcement will be made on the DTM soon..
Old 28 Jun 2012, 16:38 (Ref:3099488)   #97
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Right. But it still would be pretty awesome! Keep your hopes up.
Old 22 Oct 2012, 03:26 (Ref:3155684)   #98
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering it's Oct and still no official announcement, can we assume the '13 USA DTM is a no go? 'Cause I need to book my '13 company vacation in Nov! I was so excited last year about planning a vacation to see the DTM without having to fly all the way across the world.

Or will they hobble together a series together by just shipping the ex-'12 DTM cars and German series gets all new '13 cars?

Last edited by kmchow; 22 Oct 2012 at 03:41.
Old 22 Oct 2012, 09:13 (Ref:3155787)   #99
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchow View Post
Considering it's Oct and still no official announcement, can we assume the '13 USA DTM is a no go? 'Cause I need to book my '13 company vacation in Nov! I was so excited last year about planning a vacation to see the DTM without having to fly all the way across the world.

Or will they hobble together a series together by just shipping the ex-'12 DTM cars and German series gets all new '13 cars?
There could be a race at Montreal in 2013, but only as part as the regular DTM.
Old 23 Oct 2012, 01:43 (Ref:3156194)   #100
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
John Dagys confirmed back in September that the planned DTM USA died sometime in June this year. It's been taken off the table, the man who was responsible for it has left Grand-Am, and the new acquisition of ALMS to form PSCR/ISCAR has been a suitable distraction (as well as creating the bizarre GX class).

SparkNotes: DTM USA has been killed. It is not happening.