Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Nov 2009, 08:52 (Ref:2583371)   #1
Taprobane
Racer

England
Berkshire
Taprobane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glock to Manor.

BBC sport has a breaking news story that Glock has signed to lead Manor.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/8363770.stm

Suppose this takes him out of the running for Mclaren/Mercedes.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 08:58 (Ref:2583375)   #2
Racenut7
Veteran

Racenut7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/...anor-for-2010/
My Favourite 08 moment was when Courtney/Besnard comeback drive at Bathurst. Courtney raced through to dominate the opening stint had 15 sec. gap to Lowndes who was in 2nd. In the 2nd stint a slowly deflating tyre (originally diagnosed as a damaged anti-roll bar) slowed Besnard's stint in Courtney's car allowing Whincup to assert dominance over the field rest of the race. On lap 160 S.Richards, fading badly on rear tyres was unable to stop Courtney move into 3rd place.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 09:09 (Ref:2583381)   #3
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is this going to be a dog house story?
Old 17 Nov 2009, 09:17 (Ref:2583383)   #4
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Strange and risky move given the other options he seemed to have...unless he didn't actually have any other option.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 09:17 (Ref:2583384)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by elspethhardie View Post
Is this going to be a dog house story?
"Glock to drive dog of a car" "Glock hounded into signing for Manor".
Old 17 Nov 2009, 10:25 (Ref:2583421)   #6
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting signing, so far as I recall there is never much talk of Glock bringing lots of money. I must admit to some scepticism about the size of the Virgin budget but this may prove the point
Old 17 Nov 2009, 10:54 (Ref:2583434)   #7
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Should be good for him. I think Manor's car will be excellent (I have alot of faith in Wirth), but there are rumors that Virgin may not be putting all the much money in.
The best of the new boys though
Old 17 Nov 2009, 10:59 (Ref:2583439)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Let's hope it all goes fine. I just can't see any of the new teams doing well.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 11:08 (Ref:2583442)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Let's hope it all goes fine. I just can't see any of the new teams doing well.
I'm not sure about that. In 2008 Honda had a real dog of a car, and then suddenly they have a championship winning car. McLaren won the drivers title in 2008, and then this season finished fourth in the championship behind an equally poor Ferrari,and both cars relied heavily on a KERS to even achieve that. Many of the new teams have good people in them, who know what they are doing. Perhaps even more-so than some of the regulars.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 11:28 (Ref:2583452)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I'm not sure about that. In 2008 Honda had a real dog of a car, and then suddenly they have a championship winning car.
"Suddenly"... I'm pretty sure that Ross Brawn has one or two remarks abou this "suddenly" from Honda to Brawn.

And sure you are right.

BUT

I just hope it all goes well. I just can't not see the new teams doing well.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 12:34 (Ref:2583483)   #11
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Only time will tell if it's a good move for Glock, I'm just glad to see him secure a seat in F1 - he's definitely deserving of a drive (hopefully in a car more competitive that Toyota were able to provide him with).

Quote:
McLaren won the drivers title in 2008, and then this season finished fourth in the championship behind an equally poor Ferrari...
Are you sure about that?
Old 17 Nov 2009, 13:15 (Ref:2583500)   #12
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
Only time will tell if it's a good move for Glock, I'm just glad to see him secure a seat in F1 - he's definitely deserving of a drive (hopefully in a car more competitive that Toyota were able to provide him with).
Excellent summary Burnsie. Glock, I feel was much better than generally allowed to show at Toyota. The car was clearly difficult to dial in to all circuits (something I felt contributed to his sometimes very poor qualifiying results) and they also slipped backwards compared to others over the course of last season which didn't help his cause. Also Glock and Trulli rarely performed at the same level, only at about 4 rounds were they on a similar, let alone competitive pace and I don't know whether that was car or driver led, I suspect it was car led.

However after a slump, Singapore was a timely reminder of what he can do given the right opportunity.

As you say, whether a new team with questionable size of budget can provide him with that opportunity remains to be seen. Maybe with a 2 year deal he can do enough whilst continuing to develop as a driver package, to warrant signing for a 'big team' in 2012.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 13:42 (Ref:2583518)   #13
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post

I Think this is a good move for him. He may have had other offers but maybe he feels this team has the best environment to work in thats available.

Wish him all the best in his new team.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 14:06 (Ref:2583538)   #14
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I think this is interesting because of the possibilities that Glock has turned down by going to Manor.

For a while everyone said he was going to join Kubica at Renault, but I think Timo has worked out that there is no certainty that Renault will continue, at least in its present guise.

Then he was in the equation for the second seat at McLaren or Mercedes. Despite being German, I don't think he was ever in the running at McLaren. At best he would have been 4th in line behind Button, Kimi and Heidfeld. Mercedes would be a better option, because there his opposition would have been Heidfeld or, maybe, Sutil, but if he wants to be in a team of racers rather than bean counters, Manor is the best bet.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 14:26 (Ref:2583545)   #15
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I knew when Toyota let him off the leash that they were probably leaving.

Manor needed an experienced driver, and he's come on in leaps and bounds, so I'm glad he's getting a run with them.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 14:26 (Ref:2583546)   #16
dampsquid
Rookie

Australia
dampsquid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to BBC Radio Sheffield, di Grassi is going to be announced as Glocks team mate.

Quote from BBC.co.uk

"His team-mate will be the Brazilian rookie Lucas di Grassi, BBC Radio Sheffield has reported."

I didnt realise BBC Radio Sheffield had a big involvement in Brazilian F1 drivers but you learn something new every day !!
Old 17 Nov 2009, 14:33 (Ref:2583547)   #17
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Radio Sheffield has a close connection with Manor and Manor have a close connection with Di Grassi.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 16:07 (Ref:2583589)   #18
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting. Manor is my local team (only a short journey into town and you are in Sheffield) so I guess in a way I'll be routing for these guys.
Old 17 Nov 2009, 16:08 (Ref:2583590)   #19
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
McLaren won the drivers title in 2008, and then this season finished fourth in the championship behind an equally poor Ferrari
Actually, McLaren beated Ferrari and Hamilton defeated Kimi. Massa's crash was the reason, but anyway.
Quote:
Mr Haug could get Vettel or Schumacher in that seat for less money than Kimi wants.
Schumacher won't ever return just for the money. Btw, is Vettel that much expensive???
Old 17 Nov 2009, 16:12 (Ref:2583595)   #20
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Btw, is Vettel that much expensive???
He is as far as Red Bull are concerned!
Old 18 Nov 2009, 02:34 (Ref:2583928)   #21
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope glock hasnt made a career ending move,because having all the teams teams in f1 in 2010,no-one(including the team) wouldnt know how good or bad they will be.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 12:38 (Ref:2584135)   #22
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ford View Post
Hope glock hasnt made a career ending move,because having all the teams teams in f1 in 2010,no-one(including the team) wouldnt know how good or bad they will be.
Thinking about it, it's looking more likely that he got his name down on any contract before it was too late....

I'm wondering if he's now looking at Brawn/Merc relative problems in driver choice for the other seat now Button's off and thinking four letter expletives............