Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 7 Jun 2012, 15:24 (Ref:3086940)   #576
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
if still will exist in 2015 the alms... the patron sponsorship will end this year or next!
In ALMS for a manufacter is more usefull to support a team in GT class than a team in a decadent and dying class like lmp
It's tough to speak about 2015 I will grant you that. Same as you can't guarantee the status of the series, neither can you say it will be better to concentrate on a GT car. GT class seems a little at risk to me despite the quality of the racing.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 16:49 (Ref:3086984)   #577
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Penske is a winning team, a winning AMERICAN team... expert in american motorsport like indycar and nascar; 0 experience at le mans, 0 experience in more professional european racing attitude. Is an insanity to use them as work team of porsche... maybe they can hope to be inserted in some customer program.
In my opinion will be the internal personell of porsche AG to form the official/work team, like they did during 911 GT1 years.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ches-p1-return

You do realize that Penske fielded a F1 team right?

So having won championships in Indy, Trans Am, Can Am, ALMS etc... they haven't done LM, so they are out? This is one of the most professional racing teams out there. Is this a case of they aren't European, so they shouldn't be doing it? Interesting...

Last edited by Fogelhund; 7 Jun 2012 at 16:54.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 17:00 (Ref:3086989)   #578
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh yes, let me remember penske chronicles in f1:
just 2 races in 1974, 4 points scored in 1975 season, just in 1976 the team scored 1 victory and 2 podium. Sure is not a full failure palmares like minardi team but for sure is not a team that left his mark in f1 history.
After all we are talking about a thing of almost 40 years ago...
Old 7 Jun 2012, 17:02 (Ref:3086992)   #579
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All i have heard is alot of "Theyre not european, so they shouldnt be doing it" as FogelHund says...interesting indeed.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 17:03 (Ref:3086995)   #580
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
This is one of the most professional racing teams out there.
This. If Penske were ever going to attempt to have a go at Le Mans, I would think they'd have the thing figured out enough to be challengers by... oh, I don't know, the end of Test Day on their first year probably? And they'd be poaching some of the best people available with experience of the place anyway. Roger Penske is a canny man and not someone to be underestimated.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 17:17 (Ref:3087005)   #581
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To be fair, as much as American teams are PERFECTLY capable of competing at the highest level, you can't tell me it's not a huge advantage to have your 'shop' in Europe.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 17:18 (Ref:3087006)   #582
alexkiller8
Veteran

maybe i dind't express well because for someone my words were a bit racist (like to say, you yankee? le mans no no).

In 2007-2008 years there were 2 teams that were using rs spyder evo in ALMS, so we had:

Penske racing: penske personell + PORSCHE PERSONELL + OFFICIAL PORSCHE DRIVERS

dyson racing: dyson personell + dyson drivers

penske racing was much more successfull than dyson racing, well are we sure that was because of "only" penske effort? no, or at least i guess that porsche personell used to collaborate with penske because the american team was more expert in american way to race and had a better knowledge of american tracks! that's it!
afterall penske is the main team of dodge in nascar categories for the same reason i guess! is a team that you can trust.
But is useless to summon everytime the penske name when someone talk about the next porsche lmp1... also because i have serious doubts that penske owners will be really intersted to shift their focus in a lmp program and give a less effort in their main objectives.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 18:21 (Ref:3087035)   #583
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Surely Porsche may well run the 2014 car in-house? That's the way they ran the 911 GT1 and GT1-98.
Back when Porsche started making announcements regarding 2014 lmp plans I thought they also announced they would run a works team in gt in 2013 so they can get the experience.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 18:45 (Ref:3087053)   #584
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't recall that one but it would be music to my ears.

By the way, I like your avatar.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 19:23 (Ref:3087078)   #585
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Back when Porsche started making announcements regarding 2014 lmp plans I thought they also announced they would run a works team in gt in 2013 so they can get the experience.
Yes they did.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 19:36 (Ref:3087090)   #586
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
American teams have crossed the pond and won at Le Mans and they could easily do it again, especially an operation such as Penske. Comments such as "they're american and should not be doing this" are up there in stupidity with the "Le Mans is the center of the entire racing universe" comment we heard earlier in the year.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 19:45 (Ref:3087096)   #587
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who ran the GT3 R Hybrid? Porsche, or not, that is probably who will end running the car since it is clear they have the factory blessing.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 19:52 (Ref:3087098)   #588
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
To be fair, as much as American teams are PERFECTLY capable of competing at the highest level, you can't tell me it's not a huge advantage to have your 'shop' in Europe.
I'm not sure why it is a huge advantage.

It looks like Two races in the Americas, Two races in Asia, One Race in the Middle East, Three in Europe.

Now if you had a series that was dominantly Europe, you would have a point, but no matter where your shop is, the majority of the schedule is on a different continent/hemisphere. In the grand scheme of things these days, shipping your equipment is neither time consuming, nor budget breaking in factory dollar terms.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 19:59 (Ref:3087102)   #589
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ches-p1-return

You do realize that Penske fielded a F1 team right?

So having won championships in Indy, Trans Am, Can Am, ALMS etc... they haven't done LM, so they are out? This is one of the most professional racing teams out there. Is this a case of they aren't European, so they shouldn't be doing it? Interesting...
Penske also had their factory over here in Poole, Dorset.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 20:24 (Ref:3087109)   #590
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Yes they did.
I also remember something like that, but it isn't part of the official initial announcement, and what other announcements there were?
Old 7 Jun 2012, 20:51 (Ref:3087130)   #591
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Penske is a winning team, a winning AMERICAN team... expert in american motorsport like indycar and nascar; 0 experience at le mans, 0 experience in more professional european racing attitude. Is an insanity to use them as work team of porsche... maybe they can hope to be inserted in some customer program.
That is what I call a completely uninformed opinion and/or a backhanded insult.

Richard
Old 7 Jun 2012, 22:01 (Ref:3087180)   #592
alexkiller8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
That is what I call a completely uninformed opinion and/or a backhanded insult.

Richard
well at least i wrote some argumentation in my post to support my opinion... where the yours?
That is what i call a completely useless and/or uncareful post.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 22:21 (Ref:3087190)   #593
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It seems like every Porsche thread turns into an argument. The deal is as follows... Porsche can do no wrong and Le Mans is the "center of the universe".

Is anyone here privy to what pieces Patrick Long was testing? The RSR can use all the help it can get and I would love to see some new pieces on it for Le Mans.

One other thing. I have been trying to get information from someone at Weissach in regards to an engine I have for over a month now. The only logical explanation for this must be that they are completely focused on their 2014 challenger. Why else would they make someone as important as myself wait.

Old 7 Jun 2012, 22:45 (Ref:3087201)   #594
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
well at least i wrote some argumentation in my post to support my opinion... where the yours?
That is what i call a completely useless and/or uncareful post.
You seem totally unaware of Penske's involvement in F1, as well as their involvement in endurance racing, having raced at the Daytona 24 Hours and Sebring in 1971, coming 2nd and 6th respectively. As for 0 Le Mans experience, Penske entered the 1971 race with Mark Donohue and David Hobbs driving and qualifying fourth but unfortunately they did not finish. Though granted entries for Le Mans in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 Penske Racing declined their invitations.

Yours was a very uncareful post.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 22:52 (Ref:3087206)   #595
alexkiller8
Veteran

if you read well, i've been the only one to specify the f1 palmares of penske... and i repeat, they experienced this almost 40 years ago! why this old experience in european races should influence on modern decisions?
and then i repeat, during ALMS years with porsche rs spyder, the penske team was HEAVILY supported by porsche! them self alone i guess that couldn't do better than dyson!
Sure uncareful because i speak the truth about an american team, and "strangely" i received criticism by american users...
I never said that penske is a bad team (i wrote that is a trustfull team), i just reported the causes because in my opinion penske isn't the best choice for porsche.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 23:08 (Ref:3087214)   #596
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
if you read well, i've been the only one to specify the f1 palmares of penske... and i repeat, they experienced this almost 40 years ago! why this old experience in european races should influence on modern decisions?
and then i repeat, during ALMS years with porsche rs spyder, the penske team was HEAVILY supported by porsche! them self alone i guess that couldn't do better than dyson!
Sure uncareful because i speak the truth about an american team, and "strangely" i received criticism by american users...
I never said that penske is a bad team (i wrote that is a trustfull team), i just reported the causes because in my opinion penske isn't the best choice for porsche.
From what I've read on this thread you've received criticism not just from Americans, for an ill informed post. To say Penske has 0 experience at Le Mans is incorrect. It doesn't matter if it was 40 years ago, or 4 years ago.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 23:37 (Ref:3087228)   #597
alexkiller8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
From what I've read on this thread you've received criticism not just from Americans, for an ill informed post. To say Penske has 0 experience at Le Mans is incorrect. It doesn't matter if it was 40 years ago, or 4 years ago.
well, after this i wish to penske to win future le mans, wec and f1 champs. They have experience it doesn't matter if it was 40 years ago, or 4 years ago.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 23:43 (Ref:3087232)   #598
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
well, after this i wish to penske to win future le mans, wec and f1 champs. They have experience it doesn't matter if it was 40 years ago, or 4 years ago.
Penske are currently involved in NASCAR and the IndyCar series. As for winning future Le Mans, WEC and F1, we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 23:46 (Ref:3087233)   #599
alexkiller8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Penske are currently involved in NASCAR and the IndyCar series. As for winning future Le Mans, WEC and F1, we'll just have to wait and see.
sure... hope that my grandson will be able to have some child, so maybe they growning can have other children, maybe these ones will be able to see this event.
Old 7 Jun 2012, 23:48 (Ref:3087235)   #600
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
sure... hope that my grandson will be able to have some child, so maybe they growning can have other children, maybe these ones will be able to see this event.
Indeed.