Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Sep 2013, 19:38 (Ref:3310192)   #26
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Great pictures thank you.
I'll echo that. Great stuff.
Old 27 Sep 2013, 20:24 (Ref:3310207)   #27
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Suspecting that there would be many cameras out around the track I decided to stay in the paddock area for the weekend. It was a little cooler there. Plus one could observe people with all sorts of imaging equipment from mobile phones though iPads to point and shoots, bridge cameras and on to a whole range of DSLRs snapping away endlessly. Sometimes capturing the ambiance (one assumes), sometimes concentrating intently on the minutest details that, presumably, no one have previously noticed.

I was especially impressed with those who, as it got somewhat dark under the tented awnings, snapped away in the gloom capturing cars covered with old, tatty, often dirty and dusty car and almost universally dark car covers. Presumably they would use the results in some obscure "Name this car in one" quiz back at their car club in the depths of winter. Maybe I have missed something in the joy of photography but ...

A few snaps from the especially crowded end of the paddock.

The crowding was helped by the big screen over the gates. However as you can see from one of the shots that includes a corner of the screen the kerbs of Angouléme are not to be trifled with.
Attached Thumbnails
600px_Lores_Angouleme_Sunday_ONED7094.jpg   600px_Lores_Angouleme_Sunday_ONED7134.jpg   600px_Lores_Angouleme_Sunday_ONED7228.jpg  

600px_Lores_Angouleme_Sunday_ONED7302.jpg   600px_Lores_Angouleme_Sunday_ONED7305.jpg   600px_Lores_Angouleme_Sunday_ONED7311.jpg  

Old 27 Sep 2013, 20:31 (Ref:3310211)   #28
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

A couple more pics from me.
Attached Thumbnails
600px_Lores_Angouleme_Sunday_ONED7322.jpg   600px_Lores_Angouleme_Sunday_ONED7328.jpg  
Old 27 Sep 2013, 20:33 (Ref:3310212)   #29
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

And lastly how about resurrecting a version of the Caption Competition?
Attached Thumbnails
600px_Lores_Angouleme_Saturday_IMG_0403.jpg  
Old 27 Sep 2013, 21:08 (Ref:3310225)   #30
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Illegal immigrant found in race box
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Sep 2013, 03:23 (Ref:3310584)   #31
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

OK mate,got em for ya.It was 2 thousand pg tips teabags,wasnt it.Yeah,Im hiding in a little woodn shed next to the truck.
Old 29 Sep 2013, 03:25 (Ref:3310585)   #32
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Admittedly the last two races were well into the evening on Sunday but it was still rather warm. The main protagonists were the same in both - a GT race followed by the GT Finale. The result was also the same but I have to say that watching the video screens one had to have a lot of admiration for the guys who had completed a very warm and very competitive race and then went stright back out for a repeat. In fact I think they simply returned to the collecting area and continued a few minutes later.

As a meeting it is difficult to compare with anything else - except maybe Pau. Sort of.

One might think of Monaco Historique - but that would miss the point entirely.

The big difference is that Monaco and Pau make significant efforts to eliminate big kerbs and major bumps. That's really not an option at Angouléme. You have to accept that as part of the deal.
If the kerbs were painted white,everyone would know not to cross them,perfect.
Old 29 Sep 2013, 14:12 (Ref:3310705)   #33
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
If the kerbs were painted white,everyone would know not to cross them,perfect.
Hmm.

An interesting thought.

The alternative is that by keeping them "camouflaged" they are less of a target.

Or so I suppose.
Old 30 Sep 2013, 20:03 (Ref:3311178)   #34
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Strictly Come dancing, which I am given to understand is the name of a Television Program in the UK, seems to be slow to take of as a concept in central France with just a few of the more senior boulevardiers having any empathy with the concept.
Attached Thumbnails
600px_Lores_Angouleme_Sunday_ONED7243.jpg  
Old 2 Oct 2013, 19:32 (Ref:3311962)   #35
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

In a post elsewhere on a site that shall not be mentioned I found a link to what, other than a few images that are not to my taste at all, has to be the best set of Angouléme images, both track and ambience, that I have ever seen.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11425...74161832237185

Enjoy.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 03:33 (Ref:3312086)   #36
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, very good.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 07:12 (Ref:3312136)   #37
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah ! My old Alfa Romeo 2600 Sprint coupe racer, no. 7, dark blue, in amongst the photos. Almost certainly the car least suited to the tight Angouleme track. Tony Murray, the owner, told me he was going to race it there this year. Brave man. Respect !
Nick
Old 3 Oct 2013, 08:07 (Ref:3312158)   #38
Alan Cox
Rookie

Alan Cox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In a post elsewhere on a site that shall not be mentioned I found a link to what, other than a few images that are not to my taste at all, has to be the best set of Angouléme images, both track and ambience, that I have ever seen.
Yes, a quite superb gallery. I think Mr Wilson is an Angouleme regular, and has certainly worked hard to find the most imaginative angles.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 3 Oct 2013 at 08:25. Reason: Tidied quote tags.
Old 3 Oct 2013, 08:15 (Ref:3312165)   #39
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
Ah ! My old Alfa Romeo 2600 Sprint coupe racer, no. 7, dark blue, in amongst the photos. Almost certainly the car least suited to the tight Angouleme track. Tony Murray, the owner, told me he was going to race it there this year. Brave man. Respect !
Nick
Nick I remember you in that car well - I always admired the uphill battle you had trying to turn it into a race car!!
My father had one new back in the 60's and after a week persuaded the garage to take it back - he said without any doubt one of the most underwhelming cars he has ever driven!
Old 3 Oct 2013, 09:03 (Ref:3312184)   #40
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon,
Yes, it was a pretty unlikely racer ... with a weight distribution of about 65/35 and the engine centreline perched over the front suspension centre. Never saw a corner it did not want to go straight on at.

Strangely, though, that model had a 3 or 4 year works Alfa racing career in ETCC - Monza 4 Hrs, Spa, Nurburgring etc - where it was beating works Jaguar saloons and winning its class. One of the works drivers was Andrea de Adamich. Eventually,and no doubt to the great relief of the Alfa team drivers, it was superceded by the Giulia Super ti and then the GTA.

Still, that car got me five entries to the St Marys Trophy at the Revival meeting from 1998, so it still has an affectionate place in my heart !
Nick
Old 3 Oct 2013, 20:25 (Ref:3312517)   #41
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Cox View Post
Yes, a quite superb gallery. I think Mr Wilson is an Angouleme regular, and has certainly worked hard to find the most imaginative angles.

Alan,

Following the links on his Google+ page I believe you are correct about being a regular and it seems he lives in France about 50kms from Angouléme.

Iain showed me your book of images from over your years of attendance and I think that is mightily impressive too. Would have been my number one but for there being something about the totality of the Wilson set for that day that seemed so complete. I'm really not sure how he managed to get everything and mix up the variety.

On the other hand I haven't seen many of yours yet so my opinion may yet change.

I'm just glad I decided to stay on the paddock and observe. Out in the dusty streets would presumably have been very hot and probably produced comparatively embarrassing results!