Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 21 Aug 2003, 19:39 (Ref:694719)   #1
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
[Book] Le Mans 24 hours by Brian Laban

I want to buy Brian Laban's book Le Mans 24 hours. The one I found on internet is published in 2001 (ISBN 0760312567 / publisher Motorbooks International). Is this the latest version?

Covers this book also entry lists, full results and other statistics or is it more a photo book?
I am very interested in these entry lists and results (I know there is Janos Wimpffen's book Time & 2 Seats but that is to expensive for me ).

I understand from some old topics on Ten-Tenths that this is a good book.
Old 21 Aug 2003, 20:03 (Ref:694758)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is a very good book, got it when in came out, doesn't have the entry list but has the top 6 and all the class winners up to 2001 in it.
Old 21 Aug 2003, 20:11 (Ref:694771)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Its a good read, but not the comprehensive results service you might want. Race results are available on the internet anyway, e.g. here

http://user.tninet.se/~aiq291w/
Old 21 Aug 2003, 21:04 (Ref:694852)   #4
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
some great photos....
Old 21 Aug 2003, 21:10 (Ref:694858)   #5
Karl Kling
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Karl Kling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Check out these books from Brooklands Books http://www.brooklands-books.com/pages/lemanspl.html as well!

/k
Old 22 Aug 2003, 01:05 (Ref:695038)   #6
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best Le Mans book is the one done by J.M.Tessedre (sp?) and C.Moity (sp?) around 1990 (I don't have my compy handy), as it covers every car, every race, from the beginning to publication, with the exception of something like 18 cars for which they could not find photos anywhere. I'm not sure if it is still availble or not, but it was VERY expensive...around $300 US....and will be more now if it is out of publication..
Old 22 Aug 2003, 07:00 (Ref:695156)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, I wanted that too!
Old 22 Aug 2003, 07:42 (Ref:695190)   #8
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Le Mans "Bible"

Quote:
Originally posted by dretceterini
The best Le Mans book is the one done by J.M.Tessedre (sp?) and C.Moity (sp?) around 1990 .....
I'm not sure if it is still availble or not, but it was VERY expensive...around $300 US....and will be more now if it is out of publication..
It is still current, and retails for £190 in the UK. It covers 1923-1992, so manages to capture the first Debora! I managed to get a new copy before I was married and bought it direct from the ACO for less than £125 (still a lot of money but good value), that was when the pound was stronger and I got ACO member discount. The text, although there isn't too much is in French, but it comes with a softback English translation.

The Leban book is good value, and can be found for less than £15 in some places, so its a good place to start. There are many excellent Le Mans publications that are sadly now out of print, e.g. Le Mans 1949-1973 (Moity, Teissedre) which has detailed results and Le Mans 1923-1982 (Moity,...) (anybody got a copy they want to sell?).
All these and more are essential when sitting in front of the fire on a cold winters night, dreaming of those 24 hours in June......

For the purely statistical results, etc, you can't beat the web.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 08:49 (Ref:695256)   #9
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
some great photos....
Does this mean you took part in those pics ?
Old 22 Aug 2003, 09:04 (Ref:695273)   #10
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
I can also recommend the Laban book. Yes it is a bit of a coffee table book, but when that means high quality photos, who's complaining. A nice introductory text as well looking at the races over the decades at Le Mans. As long as you don't want a Le Mans bible you should be very happy with this book.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 11:10 (Ref:695404)   #11
bigh
Racer

bigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talking of books and statistics..

In previous years ACO members had the option of picking up a poster/programme at the event, or waiting until around now and receiving a package of poster/programme/results/winning photo.

I didn't notice this going on this year. Does this mean there are no little goody boxes in the post for us?
H
Old 22 Aug 2003, 11:37 (Ref:695444)   #12
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bigh
Talking of books and statistics..

In previous years ACO members had the option of picking up a poster/programme at the event, or waiting until around now and receiving a package of poster/programme/results/winning photo.

I didn't notice this going on this year. Does this mean there are no little goody boxes in the post for us?
H
Don't they normally appear around September time? Hope so, as I couldn't make it this year, and haven't got a program yet, etc, etc.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 11:47 (Ref:695461)   #13
chris24
Rookie

chris24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, this did go on this year. You picked the program and entry list book and poster from the ACO Members enclosure (Old car museum) in the village. I am still waiting on the results and print of the winner to arrive by post though.

Regards
Chris
Old 22 Aug 2003, 12:03 (Ref:695485)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yes, I'm still waiting for my results/poster too.
Old 22 Aug 2003, 18:13 (Ref:695841)   #15
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Ok I am convinced. Thanks!
Old 23 Aug 2003, 05:32 (Ref:696187)   #16
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, my favorite Le Mans book is the one done for the ACO in 1949 by Labric and Geo Ham, with prints of many fantatic Geo Ham watercolors. I found a poor copy 20 years ago at aroung $100....but the last copy I saw, almost mint, with the thick paper mache slipcase, sold for nearly $2000 at the Society of Automotive Historians literaure fair in Southern California 3 years ago...only 1100 copies were printed; 100 of which were gifts for drivers, officials, and other "important" people.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 08:45 (Ref:696250)   #17
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I got it for Christmas this year, i thought it was great for the history of the event, but some bits were a bit summarised, and the "results" were brief, with only the top 6 and class winners.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 09:52 (Ref:696286)   #18
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
Does this mean you took part in those pics ?
one at the front(sleeping marshall), one at the back(fans in the main grandstand), and one for 1998(mcnish in porsche at tetre rouge).
Old 23 Aug 2003, 10:18 (Ref:696297)   #19
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
*goes to get book*
Old 23 Aug 2003, 10:19 (Ref:696298)   #20
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
and knocks a desk lamp flying in the process.....
Old 23 Aug 2003, 16:39 (Ref:696661)   #21
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
one for 1998(mcnish in porsche at Tertre Rouge).
Ho, I see which is this one !
Old 23 Aug 2003, 17:30 (Ref:696689)   #22
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I don't, which page is it on?

(Happy birthday BTW Fab )
Old 23 Aug 2003, 20:20 (Ref:696787)   #23
kdr
Veteran

pirenzo - page 237...more coming out of the esses maybe.

happy birthday fab!
Old 23 Aug 2003, 20:58 (Ref:696814)   #24
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Re: Le Mans "Bible"

Quote:
Originally posted by iucrmh
There are many excellent Le Mans publications that are sadly now out of print, e.g. Le Mans 1949-1973 (Moity, Teissedre) which has detailed results
Any ideas what sort of price this book would set me back if I could find one?
Old 23 Aug 2003, 21:01 (Ref:696817)   #25
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At a rough guess around £30-£35. Thats how much it was a year ago anyway...