Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 6 May 2013, 10:55 (Ref:3243480)   #301
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
I don't think the issue is the general complaint that money was spent on Pukekohe upgrading but more the fact that it appears some of the money was not properly directed.

We know Puke needed some work but it appears it has been too focused on just suiting the AV8s and the other domestic users on the other 51 weeks could have got more benefit from a spend of $6.6m.

The fact is that there are drainage problems, that there are barrier problems that have at least driven the bikes away, that there are still toilet problems, that there is a lack of competitor pit space on the inside of the track etc, etc.

Its unfortunate that this has happened when a little more attention on all track users could have resulted in a much better facility to suit a wider user base.
Bit of a rush job I suspect...
Old 6 May 2013, 11:56 (Ref:3243513)   #302
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
What a ridiculous sentiment. Well known by whom? All 1.5 million Aucklanders don't like to travel, eh? I would bet money that more Aucklanders like to travel than any other city or region in the country. A lot of them are too poor to travel though, or only like going back to China or India, still more of them travel down to see the relatives they left in other parts of the country when they moved to Auckland, and so it goes on.

You are referring to a post made by Mark Petch, I suspect, where he said it was more financially viable to stay in the top half of the North Island - well when the three most developed tracks (not incl. Highlands now) are all up there along with more than half of the population, it makes a of of sense, even if that is not what actually happens.
define rediculous.

there have been many comments on here from competitors and spectators alike regarding venturing further south than Taupo for motorsport.
there have been several comments in social media regading the fact that Aerosmith only performed one NZ gig in dunedin, but funnily enough, even though there was still empty seats at Forsyth Barr Stadium, they still sold 4-5 times the capacity of Aucklands premier indoor venue (Vector Arena).

in an ideal world, Wellington would have an internationally acceptable racetrack and covered stadium , so the punters can meet in the middle.
Old 6 May 2013, 12:01 (Ref:3243515)   #303
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
Bit of a rush job I suspect...
yes that could be the case, but those in charge of keeping AV8SC happy , look to have chopped their nose off to spite their face, when it comes to keeping ALL parties on-side.

was the flooding in the new section due to "normal" local rain, or one of the now common-ish deluges that seem to be frequenting certain parts of the country?
Old 6 May 2013, 12:49 (Ref:3243536)   #304
isoskim
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
isoskim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post

was the flooding in the new section due to "normal" local rain, or one of the now common-ish deluges that seem to be frequenting certain parts of the country?
I've only been going to Pukekohe for just under 10 years, but I have never seen rain out there as heavy as the last few weekends. It is still, without doubt, very poor design and even with the heavy rain, there is no excuse for the flooding which is dangerous (find an in-car from the Honda Cup Enduro last weekend and you'll see what I mean). I really feel for the flag marshals and officials trying to officiate with the new changes.
Old 6 May 2013, 20:29 (Ref:3243677)   #305
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
That low pressure did have a LOT of rain in it, we are still drying out at my house, but reticulated stormwater anywhere should be able to cope with a 10 year storm event, and the rain we had on the weekend would not have been more than that - although our city's stormwater system is woefully inadequate in places due to the council spending ZERO on it for the last 5 years while amalgamation is sorted. Great idea, Rodney...
Old 6 May 2013, 21:33 (Ref:3243695)   #306
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think the rain at Puke over the last two weekends was anything special. It just appears that there is a shortcoming in the design/construction where there are low points in newly laid sections of the track that have no or inadequate drainage so water just ponds.
Old 7 May 2013, 03:40 (Ref:3243762)   #307
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
There have been many comments on here from competitors and spectators alike regarding venturing further south than Taupo for motorsport.
there have been several comments in social media regading the fact that Aerosmith only performed one NZ gig in dunedin, but funnily enough, even though there was still empty seats at Forsyth Barr Stadium, they still sold 4-5 times the capacity of Aucklands premier indoor venue (Vector Arena).
Aerosmith is just one group, one genre. I have all the attendance figures for the 2000 Chris Barber/Kenny Ball Jazz Bands, "Down Under Tour" and I can assure you that although they thought they should cover the country, to meet the fans, only the Auckland concert made money.

What you maybe need to take into account as pointed out before, is that travelling out of Auckland or further than Taupo, usually involves taking at least one, if not two, days off work. Fine if you have a kindly employer or a supportive family and you can afford that loss if you are self employed, but not otherwise. Add the costs of fuel and accommodation and an out of town event can cost as much as four local events. Simple budget and value for money. Seven events locally or 3 local and one out of town?

Even local events are not as well supported as they have been and it is just a sign of the times. Most of us understand what Mark Petch was really saying, whilst others just have an anti Auckland bias.
Old 7 May 2013, 04:03 (Ref:3243765)   #308
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Most of us understand what Mark Petch was really saying, whilst others just have an anti-Auckland bias.
Ain't that the truth! I'd call it paranoia, a chip on the shoulder or inferiority complex, take your pick.
Old 7 May 2013, 06:12 (Ref:3243798)   #309
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is a clip of last weekend showing a bit of carnage at Puke in the wet - keep watching until the end .........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv1AcaaEAFI
Old 7 May 2013, 06:18 (Ref:3243804)   #310
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seems the higher profile 'guest' drivers didn't manage the track conditions in their shared cars quite as well as many of the owner drivers. Amazing how running on a tight budget and your own car modifies track behaviour somewhat...
Old 7 May 2013, 06:35 (Ref:3243808)   #311
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Here is a clip of last weekend showing a bit of carnage at Puke in the wet - keep watching until the end .........

I wasn't expecting that little extra bit at the end.....looks like chaos.

I think this is one of the reasons why in some countries they are opting for Stone Mastic Asphalts, SMA (open, porous, abrasive etc), because at the end of the day you get better lateral drainage through the surfacing. Designed well, SMA's generally don't pond water, and if the track is cambered etc then even heavy rain can be drained away quickly, but can be hard on tires.

But of course you still need to get that water away once it has drained from the surface. I'd love to see the drainage design for the upgrades....

GB, you got any clues as to what sort of drainage 'improvements' if any, have been added to Puke?
Old 7 May 2013, 06:52 (Ref:3243814)   #312
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ouch

Almost looked like oil down
Old 7 May 2013, 07:12 (Ref:3243819)   #313
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
I wasn't expecting that little extra bit at the end.....looks like chaos.

I think this is one of the reasons why in some countries they are opting for Stone Mastic Asphalts, SMA (open, porous, abrasive etc), because at the end of the day you get better lateral drainage through the surfacing. Designed well, SMA's generally don't pond water, and if the track is cambered etc then even heavy rain can be drained away quickly, but can be hard on tires.

But of course you still need to get that water away once it has drained from the surface. I'd love to see the drainage design for the upgrades....

GB, you got any clues as to what sort of drainage 'improvements' if any, have been added to Puke?
No, I did see some drawings but I wasn't looking at the drainage - I will see if I can find them again. I think they just added kerbs and forgot about the drainage - if they did that then their base courses may not be properly drained either, which will mean trouble in fairly short order...
Old 7 May 2013, 07:34 (Ref:3243828)   #314
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Here is probably the rest of that accident here at the end of this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsNp_gJ_Kq0
Old 7 May 2013, 08:03 (Ref:3243839)   #315
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Interesting comment about some cars without headlights. Am I alone in wanting saloon/sports/GT cars to have front lights in the rain, as well as tail lights?

In the above clips, it wouldn't have made a difference, but in handicap races or races where there is a speed differential likely to lead to lapping, or enduro's, then I'd prefer to see lights in my mirror rather than a grey spray.
Old 7 May 2013, 10:32 (Ref:3243895)   #316
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Pukekohes always had problems with heavy rain,the 1984(If memory serves me right) GP was red flagged due to everyone skating off in heavy rain.
Old 7 May 2013, 13:19 (Ref:3243952)   #317
Alpina107
Rookie

Alpina107 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Aerosmith only performed one NZ gig in dunedin, but funnily enough, even though there was still empty seats at Forsyth Barr Stadium, they still sold 4-5 times the capacity of Aucklands premier indoor venue (Vector Arena).
Not sure about your maths, Joe. The Herald reprinted an ODT article that reported attendance in Dunedin of just 20,000, despite last-minute discounting by the promoter.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainm...ectid=10879887

Meanwhile, Vector Arena's own website says they can have up to 12,000 guests for concerts. http://www.vectorarena.co.nz/facts-facilities/

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.
Old 7 May 2013, 21:58 (Ref:3244123)   #318
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina107 View Post
Not sure about your maths, Joe. The Herald reprinted an ODT article that reported attendance in Dunedin of just 20,000, despite last-minute discounting by the promoter.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainm...ectid=10879887

Meanwhile, Vector Arena's own website says they can have up to 12,000 guests for concerts. http://www.vectorarena.co.nz/facts-facilities/

I think he must have been confusing Vector Arena with Eden Park - but we're not allowed to have concerts there (yet)...

The reality is that Auckland has a constant lineup of big internationals coming here and playing, so for a bunch of ancient soft-metallers like Aerosmith you're never going to fill somewhere like Mt Smart or Western Springs, Vector Arena is an ideal venue for such ventures.

I bet the accoustics at Forsyth Barr were awful, did anyone go?
Old 7 May 2013, 22:18 (Ref:3244127)   #319
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes I went. Sound quality just the same as vector. Ie needs work.
And I wouldn't be so derogatory towards a group like Aerosmith.
They would fill a larger venue easy.
20k was a good number considering there was no accomadation.
Plus you wouldnt have gotten many more in there.
Old 7 May 2013, 22:23 (Ref:3244129)   #320
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina107 View Post
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=10879887

sorry, was told 5000 capacity at Vector.

Quote:
I think he must have been confusing Vector Arena with Eden Park
you think ?? is Eden Park fully covered now??

Quote:
The reality is that Auckland has a constant lineup of big internationals coming here and playing, so for a bunch of ancient soft-metallers like Aerosmith you're never going to fill somewhere like Mt Smart or Western Springs, Vector Arena is an ideal venue for such ventures.
...........and have multiple concerts to sell the same number of tickets ??

Quote:
I bet the accoustics at Forsyth Barr were awful, did anyone go?
not real flash right at the top under the tin roofed section, probably no worse than Vector/Canterbury Arena though
Old 7 May 2013, 22:41 (Ref:3244135)   #321
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Brick View Post
Yes I went. Sound quality just the same as vector. Ie needs work.
And I wouldn't be so derogatory towards a group like Aerosmith.
They would fill a larger venue easy.
20k was a good number considering there was no accomadation.
Plus you wouldnt have gotten many more in there.
It was an ambitious venture to say the least, Vector's sound is better now but you do have to wonder at the accoustic engineer who decided that vertical glass ballustrade panels directly opposite the stage and speaker stacks was a good idea...

Huge covered spaces are never going to be all that good when their primary purpose is sport rather than concerts.

Were there people in the stands, Brick, or mainly just the infield?
Old 7 May 2013, 22:43 (Ref:3244136)   #322
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
you think ?? is Eden Park fully covered now??

...........and have multiple concerts to sell the same number of tickets ??
Nope, I was being facetious

And yep, they have multiple concerts for the smaller acts which is great

But when it's a biggie, it's Mt Smart, North Harbour (horrible) or Western Springs (the best).
Old 7 May 2013, 23:11 (Ref:3244141)   #323
smokin'joe
Veteran

Quote:
Huge covered spaces are never going to be all that good when their primary purpose is sport rather than concerts.
there is always an accuostics issue with indoor concerts, but still better than getting soaked if the heavens open up.

Quote:
Were there people in the stands, Brick, or mainly just the infield?
lower stands were at a guess 70-80% full.
upper stands probably 50%, but they were the fruity tickets with less decent sound.quite happy i wasn't one of the many that paid $250 for those seats,although we get cheaper drinks/food and no queues for anything.
the onfeild area was pretty chocker full
Old 7 May 2013, 23:18 (Ref:3244143)   #324
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
there is always an accuostics issue with indoor concerts, but still better than getting soaked if the heavens open up.

lower stands were at a guess 70-80% full.
upper stands probably 50%, but they were the fruity tickets with less decent sound.quite happy i wasn't one of the many that paid $250 for those seats,although we get cheaper drinks/food and no queues for anything.
the onfeild area was pretty chocker full
Yeah that ticket thing reminds me of A1GP Taupo - we paid $200 each for stand tickets for the weekend, then they were giving the bloody things away on Saturday night in the main street of Taupo!
Old 12 May 2013, 08:24 (Ref:3246016)   #325
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid