Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Sep 2013, 11:40 (Ref:3298287)   #1
Teddington Ted
Racer

Teddington Ted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CSCC Classic K

CSCC is relaunching Classic K with a race on 20th October as a prelude to a full series in 2014.

60 minutes for under £400 is very good value and I've banged in an entry today for the Morgan.

What do you think folks ? Will it succeed this time ?

I hope so. Interesting timing giving the demise of the E-type Challenge.

Mark
Old 3 Sep 2013, 15:01 (Ref:3298362)   #2
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Too soon after the 6 Hour for me but next season could well look at this as it has a class upto 2.7 litres which suits the Sabre well
Old 3 Sep 2013, 20:55 (Ref:3298497)   #3
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a great value format and a friendly club. I hope it is well supported as it offers a good format and possible future growth into events like Spa Summer Classic if it takes off. I believe the club have listened carefully to potential entrants and offer a relaxed approach to FIA spec racing at an affordable price. I'll certainly support it either in my Grantura or Jon's Falcon (or both!)
Old 3 Sep 2013, 21:31 (Ref:3298519)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Spa, the perrenial fly in the ointment for UK race organisers, about time we started supporting our own before it goes.Got the same excuses for Bernies V8s for this weekends Snett meeting, shame.
Old 3 Sep 2013, 21:32 (Ref:3298520)   #5
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tell me more... which circuit? What suits it?
Old 3 Sep 2013, 21:50 (Ref:3298533)   #6
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Snetterton 200 circuit
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 4 Sep 2013, 20:42 (Ref:3299061)   #7
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must confess to being a little surprised by this.

It is late in the season and will be quite difficult to drum up fresh interest at a time when budgets are (have already?) running out. I have seen no advance warning about this and it is not currently mentioned on the CSCC website.

I was one of the few regular participants in Classic K for the 2 years that it was running, but have not been contacted to see whether I would come back if the series was resurrected. It's demise was through lack of entries and consolidating it as a class within Swinging 60s certainly didn't work for me.

I wonder what signs there are that enough Appendix K cars will come out to play.

Most bizarre.

Last edited by Brian A; 4 Sep 2013 at 20:43. Reason: Spelling
Old 4 Sep 2013, 21:19 (Ref:3299083)   #8
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
Hi Brian,

I'm surprised that you have not been contacted by the club - my understanding was that all previous entrants would receive an email about this - hopefully this is an oversight. I agree it is late in the season and it is a big ask to get people to enter when budgets/race programmes are already committed. I too was surprised but will support through the benefit of Jon's car being available to share.

I believe that the club feels there is a sufficient pool of entrants looking for longer race format with opportunity to split costs with an optional 2 driver format - especially where there are no sports racers out of period to contend with.

I think it is a brave move but shows the CSCC's determination to offer quality racing at an affordable price. I look forward to getting beaten by you in your Elite!
Old 5 Sep 2013, 07:32 (Ref:3299252)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I was initially interested in classic K, but it didn't attract any saloons and as Brian says, being thrown in with 60's swingers lessened the appeal.

Now's a good time to promote for next season, but I can't see many club racers with budgets to add to their workloads and expense this late in the year.
Old 5 Sep 2013, 10:22 (Ref:3299323)   #10
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it not chasing the same market as Equipe GTS & Ecurie GTS but also trying to get saloons as well?
Old 5 Sep 2013, 11:34 (Ref:3299374)   #11
Teddington Ted
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent Motorsp View Post
Is it not chasing the same market as Equipe GTS & Ecurie GTS but also trying to get saloons as well?
The difference is that the races will be longer than Equipe and Ecurie GTS and probably also better value for money. The Equipe GTS races are 30 minutes which is a bit short for me hence I also enter the 1950s races at the AMOC meetings to get more track time.

It is a surprising roll of the dice by the CSCC but in a world where many clubs seem to prefer to stick to a given format (cue my usual whinge about Guards) it is refreshing that Classic K is being revived. Of course the proof of the pudding is in the eating and it may not work out but then that's down to us.

Mark
Old 5 Sep 2013, 15:06 (Ref:3299494)   #12
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Presumably Ted's whinge re. Guards is the inclusion of the Sports Racers which dominate the top of results sheets. Surely the answer is in the hands of the GT entrants in that if they enter in sufficient quantity there would be no need to fill the grids with B8s and G16s. But those GT drivers would also have to enter the lower profile events such as Donington, Snetterton and Croft and not cherry pick the higher profile meetings.
Old 5 Sep 2013, 15:45 (Ref:3299510)   #13
Teddington Ted
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Presumably Ted's whinge re. Guards is the inclusion of the Sports Racers which dominate the top of results sheets. Surely the answer is in the hands of the GT entrants in that if they enter in sufficient quantity there would be no need to fill the grids with B8s and G16s. But those GT drivers would also have to enter the lower profile events such as Donington, Snetterton and Croft and not cherry pick the higher profile meetings.
Yes that is my whinge, and I spend a number of years doing the whole championship without any sign of anything changing. But I don't want that old chestnut to deflect from what is an interesting development from the CSCC. Given the point that Brian and others make about this being a late development and at the end of the season October's grid may not be a good barometer of interest. However, I understand that five rounds are planned for next year so that should prove attractive.

Mark
Old 5 Sep 2013, 15:49 (Ref:3299511)   #14
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am a bit confused - is it for saloons and gt's or just gt's
Old 5 Sep 2013, 15:56 (Ref:3299518)   #15
Teddington Ted
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
I am a bit confused - is it for saloons and gt's or just gt's
Both I believe Simon.

Mark
Old 5 Sep 2013, 20:21 (Ref:3299643)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
If it aint broke don't fix it is something I do preach . . .however the HSCC is best placed to excel and they continually sit on their hands scratching their arses, I've been led down the garden path right royally in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddington Ted View Post
a number of years without any sign of anything changing.
Old 5 Sep 2013, 21:14 (Ref:3299666)   #17
Celia Stevens
Racer

England
Hundon Sudbury
Celia Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCelia Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that the new Classic K looks good; we are going to try and do the Snetterton fixture in October. Not entering till we get back from Angouleme but all being well we'll be there. Looks like good value for money and the CSCC are a good bunch to race with. It is for saloons as well, we will be running one. Hopefully they will make a go of it.
Old 10 Sep 2013, 07:23 (Ref:3301367)   #18
Robert Farrell
Racer

Robert Farrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Doesn`t work. The smaller capacity classes are amalgamated with the Road Sports races to make way for the invited classes in the main race as at Donington in March. Classic K must be worth a look
Old 10 Sep 2013, 08:36 (Ref:3301379)   #19
simon drabble
Veteran

I have to say I agree HSCC have shot themselves in the foot on this - if they had kept it to twin cam s/racers only it would have been fine... to then add insult to injury and hive all sports racers off was a step too far for us - we sold the Merlyn.

We shall watch this series with interest - driving standards are for me the unknown as to be fair to HSCC they are very high there in the most part.
Old 10 Sep 2013, 11:45 (Ref:3301436)   #20
Teddington Ted
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Farrell View Post
Doesn`t work. The smaller capacity classes are amalgamated with the Road Sports races to make way for the invited classes in the main race as at Donington in March. Classic K must be worth a look
Agree. It was the acid test for Guards and the HSCC fluffed it.
Old 10 Sep 2013, 17:57 (Ref:3301579)   #21
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driving standards are normally pretty good with CSCC as Rob the main CoC will not tolerate any other which is fair enough.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 10 Sep 2013, 19:56 (Ref:3301628)   #22
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
We shall watch this series with interest - driving standards are for me the unknown as to be fair to HSCC they are very high there in the most part.
Certainly not in the HSCC touring cars!

To be fair having raced with both clubs, there will always be some incidents in racing. It is down to the club to manage the drivers responsible effectively and in my experience the CSCC have always had a very low tolerance of contact. Entries are by invitation and I know of several drivers who have not been invited back!
Old 10 Sep 2013, 20:03 (Ref:3301637)   #23
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGT6 View Post
Certainly not in the HSCC touring cars!
Which races in particular are you referring to?

Sure you're not mistaking them with U2TC?
Old 10 Sep 2013, 21:12 (Ref:3301686)   #24
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
No, not mixing up with the little cars, we don't race with them. For example, Snetterton and Croft last season.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 07:07 (Ref:3301886)   #25
JonWolfe
Rookie

European Union
Gravenhurst
JonWolfe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes Dave's right; I have actually received more panel damage on my Falcon in one year of HSCC than several years of CSCC. Some of that's clearly luck/chance but I do like the way the CSCC stress driving standards at every briefing.