Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Oct 2014, 06:54 (Ref:3460096)   #251
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Fair play by AMG and MBA.

I wonder how much the COTF regulations have to do this or if at all?
You might imagine however that with 'works' backing not forthcoming, that some parts of the Erebus operation might need to be changed in size to match the reality of the commercial income stream
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 6 Oct 2014, 05:51 (Ref:3461120)   #252
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
You might imagine however that with 'works' backing not forthcoming, that some parts of the Erebus operation might need to be changed in size to match the reality of the commercial income stream
Stop throwing good money after bad,get out of V8 Supercars and go back to GT only adding the Nurburgring to current program.
Old 6 Oct 2014, 06:35 (Ref:3461131)   #253
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Now they know where they stand with MBA at this point, perhaps they'd be better off cutting back their GT operation, and winding up the 'Academy'?
Old 6 Oct 2014, 06:41 (Ref:3461133)   #254
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Or how about not structuring the team like BHP...
Old 5 Nov 2014, 02:30 (Ref:3471690)   #255
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
AA reports this week... from Mr Holdsworth... that development on the Erebus engines & chassis has stopped.. specifically called out as being due to budget issues...

It has you wondering.. whether the team has stopped developing because they are re-powering with a different brand next season...

...although with the common CotF chassis, you might have thought there was more still to learn...

Erebus Volvo coming soon?
Old 5 Nov 2014, 02:42 (Ref:3471695)   #256
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actually think that it is relatively genuine, just the team putting the feelers out for sponsorship in the mainstream, because people are more likely to listen to a driver than a business person/team owner.

Volvo have confirmed they are focusing on 2 cars next year, no more.

I personally think Erebus is Mercedes or bust. It will more likely go back to Stone Brothers (or another buyer) before it will become Erebus Holden/Ford/Nissan/Volvo/Other
Old 5 Nov 2014, 02:48 (Ref:3471698)   #257
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
I actually think that it is relatively genuine, just the team putting the feelers out for sponsorship in the mainstream, because people are more likely to listen to a driver than a business person/team owner.

Volvo have confirmed they are focusing on 2 cars next year, no more.

I personally think Erebus is Mercedes or bust. It will more likely go back to Stone Brothers (or another buyer) before it will become Erebus Holden/Ford/Nissan/Volvo/Other
Volvo confirmed that there would be no freebies, not specifically that a paying customer wouldnt be accommodated. A team doesnt need an engine development shop if they are supplied from the works squad in Europe... which would be a saving in stress & complexity..

One piece of the Erebus puzzle is the #9 REC.. which was supposed to be sold by SBR into the Erebus puddle at the end of the season. Wonder if that is still on track?

Or whether MSR becomes an entrant next year?
Old 5 Nov 2014, 04:49 (Ref:3471720)   #258
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Or how about not structuring the team like BHP...
What do you mean by this?
Old 5 Nov 2014, 10:36 (Ref:3471778)   #259
KineticEnergy
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
KineticEnergy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I take it to mean, "Too many layers of non-productive management, rather than those that add commercial or technical value"
Old 6 Nov 2014, 03:09 (Ref:3472104)   #260
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Volvo confirmed that there would be no freebies, not specifically that a paying customer wouldnt be accommodated. A team doesnt need an engine development shop if they are supplied from the works squad in Europe... which would be a saving in stress & complexity..

One piece of the Erebus puzzle is the #9 REC.. which was supposed to be sold by SBR into the Erebus puddle at the end of the season. Wonder if that is still on track?

Or whether MSR becomes an entrant next year?
What exactly did Erebus purchase? I would have thought that along with a decent stock of engines SBRE had a decent enough customer base (I assume SBR would have turned a bit of revenue through development series sale, service and supply as well)... Did Erebus purchase the whole operation (minus the second REC)? Do those assets still exist?

Perhaps returning to the recipe that made SBR worth purchasing in the first place is a better option than signing another customer deal to become a profit centre for another company?
Old 6 Nov 2014, 23:23 (Ref:3472358)   #261
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
What exactly did Erebus purchase? I would have thought that along with a decent stock of engines SBRE had a decent enough customer base (I assume SBR would have turned a bit of revenue through development series sale, service and supply as well)... Did Erebus purchase the whole operation (minus the second REC)? Do those assets still exist?

Perhaps returning to the recipe that made SBR worth purchasing in the first place is a better option than signing another customer deal to become a profit centre for another company?
SBR cleared out their inventory of Ford chassis and engines before the Erebus arrangement took place. Some went to customers (Image Racing, Novocastrian Motorsport & CEG Racing) and the balance to aligned Matt Stone Racing.

So you may think that there isnt/wasnt too much Ford hardware sitting in the SBR shed when the Benzes hit town.. with AMG bringing all manner of ridiculously priced parts, engines, bodywork etc to replace them.

Erebus is still a full house car constructor, with all the gear (jigs, bending tools, sheet metal presses etc) needed to build and rebuild CotF or indeed Project Blueprint cars if required, including a sticker house & panel shop... and the Haas machines pumping out all manner of CAD-drawn components for the cars..

MSR operates out of the former SBRE facility dont they, where Paul Cruickshank Racing used to call home?

Erebus is/was well positioned from an engineering perspective to keep on with the AMG/Mercedes program, but only if the commercial sponsorships were/are in place to properly support the program.

Which isnt happening. And from the recent news articles about development stopping, perhaps isnt on the immediate horizon either.

Sad
Old 7 Nov 2014, 01:56 (Ref:3472389)   #262
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
SBR cleared out their inventory of Ford chassis and engines before the Erebus arrangement took place. Some went to customers (Image Racing, Novocastrian Motorsport & CEG Racing) and the balance to aligned Matt Stone Racing.
So you may think that there isnt/wasnt too much Ford hardware sitting in the SBR shed when the Benzes hit town.. with AMG bringing all manner of ridiculously priced parts, engines, bodywork etc to replace them.
Erebus is still a full house car constructor, with all the gear (jigs, bending tools, sheet metal presses etc) needed to build and rebuild CotF or indeed Project Blueprint cars if required, including a sticker house & panel shop... and the Haas machines pumping out all manner of CAD-drawn components for the cars..
MSR operates out of the former SBRE facility dont they, where Paul Cruickshank Racing used to call home?
Erebus is/was well positioned from an engineering perspective to keep on with the AMG/Mercedes program, but only if the commercial sponsorships were/are in place to properly support the program.
Which isnt happening. And from the recent news articles about development stopping, perhaps isnt on the immediate horizon either.
Sad
What does sponsorship bring? The team’s plight doesn’t seem to have been predicated by a lack of funding , a lack of talent, a lack of effort or the lack of a running start.

The interesting thing is at what point does a smart team cut their losses, accept that the experiment failed and move on?

At what point does the team owner accept that the move to Mercedes was ultimately a terrible business decision and an even worse racing decision….

If the ego can take that sort of honesty and it happens before her financial advisor shakes some sense into her, then I reckon the fortunes of Erebus will change very rapidly….

Sadly, the crystal ball suggests the fundamental issue with the team will be ignored with the “lack of sponsorship/funding” becoming the “we’re a brand new team” excuse which has often been floated. The later naturally ignores the asset initially purchased; the former ignores a bucket of money (probably) equal to any that’s been poured over the team in the last two years and both fail to address the fairly obvious issue with the Mercedes powerplant and the lack thereof of Mercedes being interested in a relationship that extends beyond Erebus being a rounding error on their revenue spreadsheet.
Without that fairly obvious fundamental issue being addressed I don’t think we’ll see an Erebus in 2016 (which is very sad, SBR with a whack of capital and a team owner who’s actually one of the best characters in the field should have been something awesome.)
Old 7 Nov 2014, 09:28 (Ref:3472434)   #263
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
What does sponsorship bring? The team’s plight doesn’t seem to have been predicated by a lack of funding , a lack of talent, a lack of effort or the lack of a running start.

The interesting thing is at what point does a smart team cut their losses, accept that the experiment failed and move on?

At what point does the team owner accept that the move to Mercedes was ultimately a terrible business decision and an even worse racing decision….

If the ego can take that sort of honesty and it happens before her financial advisor shakes some sense into her, then I reckon the fortunes of Erebus will change very rapidly….

Sadly, the crystal ball suggests the fundamental issue with the team will be ignored with the “lack of sponsorship/funding” becoming the “we’re a brand new team” excuse which has often been floated. The later naturally ignores the asset initially purchased; the former ignores a bucket of money (probably) equal to any that’s been poured over the team in the last two years and both fail to address the fairly obvious issue with the Mercedes powerplant and the lack thereof of Mercedes being interested in a relationship that extends beyond Erebus being a rounding error on their revenue spreadsheet.
Without that fairly obvious fundamental issue being addressed I don’t think we’ll see an Erebus in 2016 (which is very sad, SBR with a whack of capital and a team owner who’s actually one of the best characters in the field should have been something awesome.)
The lack of funding is one issue, the other of course the drawn out saga with their technical partner AMG... and the time for a decision to be taken to bring the engines in-house to SBRE, and the aero package to be made here amongst other things.

But to do that, these parts of the enterprise need to be resourced, which is where the budget challenge comes in. If the 'big dollar' has apparently gone off to AMG to licence their technology and engineering, its a fairly large (and expensive) change to have to replicate some of what was said to be being supplied from the mother ship, locally.

Not sure if Erebus had too much faith in AMG, whether the contract management wasnt completed properly... but somewhere there seems to have been a slip between the cup & the lip.

You raise an interesting question, about whether the AMG Mercedes is a lost cause.

Given the recent mumblings in AA suggesting that development has stopped due to funding issues... you might argue that Erebus will forever struggle to get on top of their development 'growing pains' while the fundamentals in engine and chassis are still yet to reach their optimum..

It makes you feel very sorry for the team, for Mr Stone, and his hard working design, manufacture & preparation teams.. most of who have been there through the Ford years... when much of this stuff is not of their making...

Old 7 Nov 2014, 18:25 (Ref:3472568)   #264
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
and the balance to aligned Matt Stone Racing.
He had no interest to continue the family team?
Old 7 Nov 2014, 22:32 (Ref:3472632)   #265
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
He had no interest to continue the family team?
Erebus paid something in the region of $10m for the SBR squad, while MSR gor a couple of cars, equipment and a goodly proportion of the spares.

The only thing standing between MSR & the main game seems to be having a customer wishing them to do so

MSR already participate in the Dunlop series, in the Utes & the Touring Car Masters categories for various customers..
Old 8 Nov 2014, 00:54 (Ref:3472665)   #266
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
SBR cleared out their inventory of Ford chassis and engines before the Erebus arrangement took place.

Sad
MSR took over the whole of SBR premises , SBRE are in the building across the driveway from MSR - Erebus are a few doors down the road . Erebus looks quite spectacular from the road , MSR would be hard to find if you didn't know what to look for and the same goes for SBRE .
Old 12 Nov 2014, 23:26 (Ref:3474083)   #267
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.v8xmagazine.com.au/index....bus-motorsport

Quote:
Lee Holdsworth looks set to leave Erebus Motorsport following the current V8 Supercars season and move to Charlie Schwerkolt Racing (CSR) from 2015.

Holdsworth had allegedly re-signed with Erebus Motorsport for a further two years in August; though contract wrangling with the team has led to the V8 Supercars race winner exploring other options.

Holdsworth is likely to replace Jack Perkins in the #18 Charlie Schwerkolt Racing entry, currently run out of the Ford Performance Racing stable in the colours of Jeld-Wen.

Erebus Motorsport will retain the services of the already contracted Will Davison into 2015, as the team continues its negotiations with AMG Mercedes-Benz for support for next season and beyond.

The Queensland-based team runs two AMG Mercedes-Bnez E63s through the AMG Customer Sports program and had been linked with a customer Volvo Polestar deal.

Holdsworth was in talks with Ford Performance Racing before signing for Stone Brothers Racing into 2012, with the team morphing into Erebus Motorsport from 2013.

An announcement on Holdsworth's move to Charlie Schwerkolt Racing is expected over the course of the Plus Fitness Phillip Island 500 this weekend.

Holdsworth scored Erebus Motorsport's first race win at Winton in April, though suffered a nightmare endurance campaign that included two big accidents at Sandown and Bathurst.
Old 17 Nov 2014, 03:54 (Ref:3475667)   #268
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tough gig for someone in the current climate
http://www.seek.com.au/job/27652660
Old 17 Nov 2014, 04:02 (Ref:3475668)   #269
yap
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
yap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybanana View Post
Tough gig for someone in the current climate
http://www.seek.com.au/job/27652660
So it is a new position, meaning someone has previously been trying to combine this with another role ?

Might be a lesson there
Old 17 Nov 2014, 04:07 (Ref:3475669)   #270
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wasn't that one of Mr Maddison's roles?

Perhaps they need Scott Jennings to introduce them to Hungry Jacks and Hogs Breath?
Old 17 Nov 2014, 07:37 (Ref:3475698)   #271
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by yap View Post
So it is a new position, meaning someone has previously been trying to combine this with another role ?
Had a poke around Linkedin. There is someone in that role now (since Jan 2014), so one presumes they are either moving up or moving on.

Would it be unfair to question the success of the incumbent, given the lack of an ongoing naming rights sponsor this season ?
Old 17 Nov 2014, 08:11 (Ref:3475707)   #272
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybanana View Post
Had a poke around Linkedin. There is someone in that role now (since Jan 2014), so one presumes they are either moving up or moving on.

Would it be unfair to question the success of the incumbent, given the lack of an ongoing naming rights sponsor this season ?
The Team Website Here could do with some proof reading & updating...

Perhaps Erebus considers that the infusing of new blood into the sponsor chasing department will be more successful...

Old 23 Nov 2014, 11:44 (Ref:3477783)   #273
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think Betty needs to learn a lesson from RD. When Ford dumped 888, he renamed the cars Hogsters
Old 23 Nov 2014, 12:20 (Ref:3477787)   #274
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
Think Betty needs to learn a lesson from RD. When Ford dumped 888, he renamed the cars Hogsters
Difference is RD had sponsors queuing up at his door. Betty seems to have them walking out of hers...
Old 23 Nov 2014, 20:49 (Ref:3477957)   #275
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Betty at erebus motorsport
21 November

Quote:

GOOD AFTERNOON CREATION

i know why its hot .
a- because Erebus is not happy (later in greek mythology his name was changed to Hades) didn't think that one out to carefully !
b- mother nature hates me
c-the sun hates me
d- a company which shall not be named hates me