Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Oct 2017, 10:43 (Ref:3770930)   #76
sethmate
Rookie

United Kingdom
sethmate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with CTD in that majority of grid do it - doesn't make it any less tiresome though!!

It's playground level stuff - he did this, she did that hoping that a teacher hears the whingeing
Old 1 Oct 2017, 11:38 (Ref:3770939)   #77
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Unfortunately Vettel is prone to these brainfade moments. Thankfully this one happened after the race had finished.

I know people moan about Grosjean's whinging but Magnussen is really beginning to get on my nerves. His driving standards are regularly 'suspect' but he struggles to deal with anyone giving him a bit of his own medicine.
Perhaps doesn't help when the owner of the team whinges about how expensive F1 is... maybe its in their team meeting agendas
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 1 Oct 2017, 12:52 (Ref:3770948)   #78
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
'Curious. Being on the west side of The Pond, I know not of the term "whinging". What does it mean? Thanks.

jimclark
Old 1 Oct 2017, 12:54 (Ref:3770949)   #79
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
'Curious. Being on the west side of The Pond, I know not of the term "whinging". What does it mean? Thanks.
To complain persistently in an irritating way..
Old 1 Oct 2017, 13:05 (Ref:3770951)   #80
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Duhhhh. I hadn't given that a thought until reading more posts, I presumed that was prolly what it meant. Thanks for the reply.

(edit: 'Meant to add, we call it "whining")

jimclark
Old 1 Oct 2017, 13:17 (Ref:3770953)   #81
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see Vandoorne show who is the fastest driver at Mclaren
Old 1 Oct 2017, 13:25 (Ref:3770955)   #82
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Duhhhh. I hadn't given that a thought until reading more posts, I presumed that was prolly what it meant. Thanks for the reply.

(edit: 'Meant to add, we call it "whining")
Any time
Old 1 Oct 2017, 13:45 (Ref:3770965)   #83
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting that additional footage clearly shows Stroll didn't actually follow the track around the corner, instead he drifting out away from the kerb into Vettel whose in car camera shows he was maintains a constant turn.
Old 1 Oct 2017, 13:52 (Ref:3770967)   #84
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some truly bizarre radio comments from Force India today. Went from passive aggressive to just aggressive. Think he can infer that it's a good idea to get going as soon as possible after a spin...

He's a big boy, but it's a strange way to manage your driver.
Old 1 Oct 2017, 14:07 (Ref:3770977)   #85
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Interesting that additional footage clearly shows Stroll didn't actually follow the track around the corner, instead he drifting out away from the kerb into Vettel whose in car camera shows he was maintains a constant turn.
Doesn’t matter. After checkered flag you should slow down considerably and drive to Parc Ferme without overtaking.
Vettel should have been no where near him!
Old 1 Oct 2017, 14:15 (Ref:3770986)   #86
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
After checkered flag you should slow down considerably and drive to Parc Ferme without overtaking.
I agree it didn't need to happen, but, why? A regulation? Or just 'better part of discretion?

jimclark
Old 1 Oct 2017, 14:55 (Ref:3771009)   #87
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know we are saying their is a rule about passing after the checkered but can anyone recall this rule actually being followed? FIA have turned a blind eye to this always.

Still just a racing incident. But hard to fault anyone. Stroll knows he drove into Vettel and not the other way around...Too embarrassed to admit on camera. Whether it was a rule or not, drivers have always passed after the checkers and it's never been policed, so you can hardly say that rule is relevant today.

You could only say well he wouldn't have a gearbox penalty had he followed it.

The only lesson here is that the FIA have been turning a blind eye to this for so long, that's its caused a bizarre accident.
Old 1 Oct 2017, 15:01 (Ref:3771013)   #88
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I agree it didn't need to happen, but, why? A regulation? Or just 'better part of discretion?
Sadly I cannot find this in the FIA Sporting regulations currently, but I know that in the national regulations that I usually operate under as a Marshal, it is not allowed per regulations.
However what Vettel does is failing to bring the car to Parc Ferme and stopping on track before. This is in the worst scenarios something that can mean disqualification from the race.

Plenty of parts of the regulations to penalise Vettel for that incident, but I don't anything will happen.
Old 1 Oct 2017, 15:39 (Ref:3771024)   #89
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
The footage from the car following Stroll and Vettel seems to indicate that.

https://youtu.be/fZ80ZLmhoFs

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 1 Oct 2017 at 15:46.
Old 1 Oct 2017, 15:51 (Ref:3771026)   #90
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes this is the footage that I was referring to. It was shown on Sky's post race show
Old 1 Oct 2017, 15:55 (Ref:3771027)   #91
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
I know we are saying their is a rule about passing after the checkered but can anyone recall this rule actually being followed? FIA have turned a blind eye to this always.

Still just a racing incident. But hard to fault anyone. Stroll knows he drove into Vettel and not the other way around...Too embarrassed to admit on camera. Whether it was a rule or not, drivers have always passed after the checkers and it's never been policed, so you can hardly say that rule is relevant today.

You could only say well he wouldn't have a gearbox penalty had he followed it.

The only lesson here is that the FIA have been turning a blind eye to this for so long, that's its caused a bizarre accident.
We only got to see from the one camera angle, but it clearly looks like Strolls mistake to me ...
Old 1 Oct 2017, 18:06 (Ref:3771062)   #92
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes the fact that Stroll came on the Radio claiming vettel ran into the side of him shows just how clueless Stroll was out on the track at that moment. Wasn't paying any attention whatsover and didn't notice that he changed his line either.
Old 1 Oct 2017, 18:17 (Ref:3771064)   #93
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Probably wasn't expecting to be overtaken by a reasonably quickly moving Ferrari either......
Old 1 Oct 2017, 18:18 (Ref:3771066)   #94
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Yes the fact that Stroll came on the Radio claiming vettel ran into the side of him shows just how clueless Stroll was out on the track at that moment. Wasn't paying any attention whatsover and didn't notice that he changed his line either.
I suspect from the angle between the cars Vettel may have been in Strolls blind spot. Although I have no direct experience of F1 mirrors, they are quite small and a wide angle mirror of the size used on an F1 car could make it even more difficult to see what is behind.
Old 1 Oct 2017, 18:42 (Ref:3771071)   #95
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would totalling your car on the "lap of honour" avoid scrutineers spotting the numbers 5 and 7 being swapped?
Old 1 Oct 2017, 18:53 (Ref:3771074)   #96
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
What a drive from Max, wins on merit a day after turning 20. Nice to see him and Lewis giving each other space, RBR seemed to be on it again.

Vettel made a good recovery, then that incident after the checkered flag, Idk why he drove his car towards Stroll. He likes blaming everyone else.

Magnussen needs a good seeing to, he's becoming a liability on track, good to see Fred give as good as he got.

Both Williams had a good race, great race by Stroll. Vandoorne shows he's a future star and a good first race for Gasly too

Who knows what Kimi would have done if his car started
Old 1 Oct 2017, 19:13 (Ref:3771080)   #97
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Vettel made a good recovery, then that incident after the checkered flag, Idk why he drove his car towards Stroll. He likes blaming everyone else
There is footage of a following Haas on F1.com. Stroll simply drives to the outside and moves over at least two car width. I know Vet is not very much liked around here and has done some idiotic stuff this year. But that was definetely Stroll leaving his line without taking a look what is going on around him. Whether Vet should have passed is a different story but the contact is on Stroll.
Old 1 Oct 2017, 19:56 (Ref:3771084)   #98
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Maybe Stroll didn't expect it in the middle of a corner?
Old 1 Oct 2017, 20:22 (Ref:3771092)   #99
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
question, what exactly constitutes a racing line when drivers are moving around looking to cool their engine/conserve engine life/pick up marbles?

Stroll also finished a lap down...SV must really have slowed on hs in lap for Stroll to catch up let alone be ahead of him.

add in an exhausting race...kind of feel like neither one of them was paying attention at the end.
Old 1 Oct 2017, 21:30 (Ref:3771105)   #100
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
question, what exactly constitutes a racing line when drivers are moving around looking to cool their engine/conserve engine life/pick up marbles?

Stroll also finished a lap down...SV must really have slowed on hs in lap for Stroll to catch up let alone be ahead of him.

add in an exhausting race...kind of feel like neither one of them was paying attention at the end.
That's a good summery of the situation, just not too sure why Vettel was immediately deemed to be the bad guy and I'm not a Vettel fan?