Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Mar 2018, 16:22 (Ref:3811964)   #326
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

Now here’s the comedy suggestion. It strikes me F1 was better when less people watched it. In those days, with less inertia, you could make it better without upsetting the stakeholders. Less people watching might mean less money and less vested interests. I’m not totally serious here, but what if F1 was less popular?
Surely what we are saying here is that it is not popular enough to be sustainable on PPV?

Going back to the point re free magazines, it occurred to me that even though I consider myself a motorsport enthusiast I don't recall ever buying F1 magazine. I guess the point there would be that Formula 1 per se is not that important to me, whereas motorsport in general has (or had) much more appeal.
Old 30 Mar 2018, 16:39 (Ref:3811969)   #327
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
See IndyCar. Great entertainment, but the lack of popularity hurts.
Considering where the series was only 5 years ago, IndyCar have really turned it around but there is still a long way to go. It's gaining popularity and the new car seems to tick all the right boxes, so it will be interesting to see how this season unfolds.
Old 30 Mar 2018, 16:50 (Ref:3811970)   #328
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Surely what we are saying here is that it is not popular enough to be sustainable on PPV?
I would guess you are probably right. PPV will probably be restricted to additional coverage not the core coverage. I guess.

Quote:
Going back to the point re free magazines, it occurred to me that even though I consider myself a motorsport enthusiast I don't recall ever buying F1 magazine. I guess the point there would be that Formula 1 per se is not that important to me, whereas motorsport in general has (or had) much more appeal.
I have bought F1 racing. Back many moons ago. God it was awful. Very limited in appeal as you say and full of journalists of the calibre of The Bish and Rubython. It made me want to unlearn the English language.
Old 30 Mar 2018, 16:53 (Ref:3811972)   #329
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
See IndyCar. Great entertainment, but the lack of popularity hurts.
Yes, I like Indycar. My viewship waxes and wanes depending on whether it is easy for me to watch. This year has started well, the car is good, and it could go from strength to strength. I miss the mix of cars from 20+ years ago. However that doesn’t bother me much while that is o
Old 30 Mar 2018, 17:33 (Ref:3811976)   #330
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
surely its not sustainable on FTA either though is it?

certainly i agree that if it was on FTA more people would watch (or rather would be able to watch...the two however are not synonymous) but if more people watch, then FOM would be able to (and would be justified to) command a larger licensing fee from the network who wishes to broadcast it via an FTA channel.

the question then becomes, does a publicly funded network like the BBC (or CBC in Canada) have the right to pay such a fee for sport that has a negligible public or national interest and in effect subsides the commercial activities of multi billion dollar multinationals? can they justify that to the taxpayers who fund it?

of course a non publicly funded/privately owned network chose to make a bid and show it FTA but then how would they monetize it in a way where they could afford to broadcast it FTA.

the most obvious solution to that would be to start showing commercials during the race...at which point i suspect many here would be declaring how F1 is pants and that they will never watch again!

ultimately though if viewership goes up, then a subscription based network will just come in and make a higher bid then an FTA channel can offer because they can pass that fee on to its subscriber base.

anyways, the best one can hope for is a split of some sort between subscription/paywall based and FTA...which to their credit seems to be the model Liberty is attempting to pursue.

same for the magazines...a selection of free articles on their website and then the more in depth stuff behind a paywall.
Old 30 Mar 2018, 19:01 (Ref:3812002)   #331
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
same for the magazines...a selection of free articles on their website and then the more in depth stuff behind a paywall.

As long as they don't put articles criticising TV paywalls behind website paywalls; which is what Autosport does!

Not only is it ironic, but it is also hypocritical.
Old 30 Mar 2018, 19:55 (Ref:3812017)   #332
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Worse than that it’s a repeat! It is a reproduction of an F1 Racing article. A magazine you have to pay for (not sure why you’d bother). I think all long opinion or analysis pieces or reproductions from the magazines on the website are Autosport Plus and not free to see. It’s the news pieces that you can have a few for free.

And it’s by James Allen. I’ve had more ironic things free with my cereal.

Last edited by Adam43; 30 Mar 2018 at 20:01.
Old 31 Mar 2018, 09:09 (Ref:3812078)   #333
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The article is right though, how are we gonna attract more fans when it's behind a paywall?
Old 31 Mar 2018, 09:24 (Ref:3812083)   #334
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All you will have is the die hard fans of which there is a diminishing number. In that case there will be less watching. The opposite of what the sport needs.
Old 31 Mar 2018, 09:44 (Ref:3812087)   #335
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
All you will have is the die hard fans of which there is a diminishing number. In that case there will be less watching. The opposite of what the sport needs.
Not all die hard fans will want to pay, I know I won't.
Old 31 Mar 2018, 10:22 (Ref:3812093)   #336
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Me too BJS but maybe that means we're not the die hard fans we think we are.
Old 31 Mar 2018, 10:55 (Ref:3812099)   #337
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Yes that's my point.
Old 31 Mar 2018, 11:05 (Ref:3812102)   #338
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yes that's my point.
Which is why Mr E made a monumental mistake. He allowed his desire for short term gain to cloud his judgement, meaning that the long term future may be seriously damaged.
Old 31 Mar 2018, 14:11 (Ref:3812125)   #339
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Just because people are die hard fans, does not make them "mugs" too. A fool and his money are soon parted.
Old 31 Mar 2018, 14:39 (Ref:3812132)   #340
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I don't know about that, I've been following F1 since 1972. Afaic, it's a question of whether I want to pay Murdoch or not for the privilege. He has a big enough monopoly on televised sport as it is.
Old 31 Mar 2018, 17:56 (Ref:3812151)   #341
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
That seems to be changing, at least for me.

BT, and now channel 4, have stolen Rugby from sky (a reason I subscribe to sky sports). Isn’t this a similar situation with football (soccer). Some cricket has left sky too. NASCAR too (Indycar has generally been on another channel anyway). The only thing I really want sky for now is NFL.
Old 31 Mar 2018, 20:12 (Ref:3812165)   #342
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Which is why Mr E made a monumental mistake. He allowed his desire for short term gain to cloud his judgement, meaning that the long term future may be seriously damaged.
You're joking aren't you? He played it spot on. Milk the punters for as much money as possible because your bosses are only in it for the short term (and trouser a healthy bonus, no doubt).

CVC never cared about the long term, only short term profits. They've sold Liberty a pup but made a decent wedge.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 2 Apr 2018, 14:44 (Ref:3812493)   #343
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
didnt want to start a new thread and as we are sort of discussing F1 movies/docs here already!

here's an F1 movie that no one ever asked for...

http://new.grandprix.com/news/taki-i...ols-jokes.html

the lost art of F1 april fool's day jokes is alive and well in Japan!
Old 2 Apr 2018, 15:05 (Ref:3812495)   #344
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Was it a mistake though? His job was to maximise value to CVC for their investment. The long term future of the sport wasn't really that important in that context. Liberty are finding out now how much has been neglected for that short term gain.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 16:39 (Ref:3812516)   #345
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
of course a non publicly funded/privately owned network chose to make a bid and show it FTA but then how would they monetize it in a way where they could afford to broadcast it FTA.

the most obvious solution to that would be to start showing commercials during the race...at which point i suspect many here would be declaring how F1 is pants and that they will never watch again!
Here in Uruguay, Monte Carlo (Canal 4) aired F1 live for decades. When F1 sold the rights to cable channels, they got a same day delay package. Later they switched to a 1-hour highlights package. And Fox sports continued increasing the price, until they couldn't pay it anymore.

Were it for Monte Carlo, they would have continued airing F1. They had sponsorship from Renault, Mercedes-Benz, motor oil, tyre manufacturers and auto parts shops.

Last edited by NaBUru38; 2 Apr 2018 at 16:44.
Old 2 Apr 2018, 17:26 (Ref:3812524)   #346
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I'd love a Takuma Sato movie.
Old 3 Apr 2018, 21:41 (Ref:3812687)   #347
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I don't know about that, I've been following F1 since 1972. Afaic, it's a question of whether I want to pay Murdoch or not for the privilege. He has a big enough monopoly on televised sport as it is.
I would be much more willing to give my money to Murdoch than Liberty Media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Was it a mistake though? His job was to maximise value to CVC for their investment. The long term future of the sport wasn't really that important in that context. Liberty are finding out now how much has been neglected for that short term gain.
Liberty Media have a long track record of doing exactly that. In fact, it might be a worse situation as Liberty is a publicly traded company.
Old 7 Apr 2018, 16:46 (Ref:3813681)   #348
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I would be much more willing to give my money to Murdoch than Liberty Media.
I don't know enough about Liberty to judge them but I know Murdoch has had an unprecedented monopoly over the years and you still have to use Sky, if you want to watch all the races.
Old 2 Sep 2020, 12:58 (Ref:3999621)   #349
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Thread bump!

Brazilian free-to-air network Globo has announced they will not renew Formula 1 rights for 2021.

https://veja.abril.com.br/esporte/se...ula-1-em-2021/
Old 2 Sep 2020, 15:35 (Ref:3999649)   #350
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I worry for the F1 future in Brazil, they have no F1 drivers and with the GP off the calendar this season, will it return?

Not looking good now Globo have lost the rights too