Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Aug 2003, 21:16 (Ref:679944)   #1
LittleX
Rookie

LittleX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Firman's Nationality

When Ralf was in the lower formulas, he raced under the British flag. When he went to Jordan he used his Irish connections to race under the Irish flag. This weekend he was back to having a Union Jack on his car. Does this mean he knows he will not be with Jordan next year, and so thinks that he will be in a better position to get a drive with another team being British again?
:confused:
Old 4 Aug 2003, 21:25 (Ref:679950)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Which flag are you talking about?

He has the clover on the front of the helmet.

Lots of previous drivers have had Irish (normally some tourist board stuff) logos no them when at Jordan.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 21:30 (Ref:679957)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Helmet from Silvertone.

Attached Images

Old 4 Aug 2003, 21:34 (Ref:679961)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
funniest thing in the world is that if you search for 'girls' on the sutton website it brings up a picture of ralph firman
Old 4 Aug 2003, 21:35 (Ref:679963)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
From Hockenheim. A Union flag.

Attached Images

Last edited by Adam43; 4 Aug 2003 at 21:38.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 21:37 (Ref:679966)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Here is the explanation from www.ralphfirman.com
Quote:
http://www.ralphfirman.com/html/askralph.html
Q: I am a huge fan of the Jordan Team and recently spotted the Irish flag on your car for a race weekend. I was delighted to see the Irish Flag back in Formula One but why doesn't it appear on your car every race weekend?

RF: Hi. I am racing for Ireland and Great Britain this season, as my mother is Irish and my father is English. It helps that Jordan are a popular Anglo/Irish team! I race with both the Irish flag and the Union Jack painted on my EJ13, and the two flags are also on my overalls.
So it seems it has been both all year.

Last edited by Adam43; 4 Aug 2003 at 21:39.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 21:40 (Ref:679971)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
And on the other side of the car an Irish flag (I think so, not Italian and in Fisi's car). Also from Hockenehim!

Attached Images

Last edited by Adam43; 4 Aug 2003 at 21:46.
Old 5 Aug 2003, 08:42 (Ref:680276)   #8
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
I won't swear to this, but didn't Irvine have both flags on his overalls when he first drove for Jordan as well? I'm sure I've read some story about a publicity photo shoot where he 'accidentally' stood with his hand covering the Irish flag to wind EJ up...
Old 5 Aug 2003, 09:04 (Ref:680293)   #9
PenelopePitstop
Racer

European Union
PenelopePitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least he is not racing with the EU flag
Old 5 Aug 2003, 09:15 (Ref:680305)   #10
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He has dual nationality because of his mother. I think I've seen him listed under "IRL" rather than "GB" in drivers listings...
Old 5 Aug 2003, 11:12 (Ref:680379)   #11
LittleX
Rookie

LittleX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What anthem will they play when he wins?
Old 5 Aug 2003, 12:26 (Ref:680440)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
God Save The Jordan?
Old 5 Aug 2003, 12:43 (Ref:680452)   #13
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
we'll be a republic by then...
Old 5 Aug 2003, 13:48 (Ref:680503)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
God Save The Jordan?

And we all know that Jordan needs it !
Old 5 Aug 2003, 14:55 (Ref:680553)   #15
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eddie had both flags as certain groups in Ireland/Northern Ireland kept threatening his grandparents and thus why on certain podiums he asked for a FIA flag or european flag something like that anyway so long as it was neutral and was upset, understandably, when a British or Irish flag (sorry i never paid to much attendtion to EI) was put up when he was on the podium. Can you imagine Kiesas car if he tried to honour his familys countries he'd be a walking atlas :-S
Old 5 Aug 2003, 20:42 (Ref:680796)   #16
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Eddie Irvine's helmet design (originally used in F3000, before then he had plain white) was basically Ayrton Senna's but with orange for Northern Ireland, think that gives a clue to his politicial inclinations.

By the time he got to F1 both stripes were green and angled, presumably to be more distinctive.

Of course Maurice Hamilton in the marvellous 'Race Without End' records Irvine's debut press conference when someone asked him about his colours: "I dunno, maybe it's a bit political...but I have orange because I'm Protestant, and green so the IRA don't shoot me..." - and how Irvine used to stand with both the Irish tricolour and Union Flag stitched to his uniform, but with his index finger obscuring the former (especially in Eej's presence).