Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 5 May 2017, 12:06 (Ref:3731201)   #1
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driver's Parade

For the first time in years we are arriving on the Thursday (not the Friday)

In 26 years of the event I've never done the driver's parade. Have I been missing out and should I stick it on the schedule for this year? - any suggestions welcome.

We'll be camping at Blue Nord so need to think about transport too as I'm sure we will all want to have a drink and not have the burden of driving/ parking.
Old 5 May 2017, 12:26 (Ref:3731208)   #2
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrimage View Post
For the first time in years we are arriving on the Thursday (not the Friday)

In 26 years of the event I've never done the driver's parade. Have I been missing out and should I stick it on the schedule for this year? - any suggestions welcome.

We'll be camping at Blue Nord so need to think about transport too as I'm sure we will all want to have a drink and not have the burden of driving/ parking.

At least if you go you can say you have seen it. It is part of the week, but having done it a couple of times I am happy to sit in the camp site these days. You can get the tram there and back, but of course that is a bit of a hike from Bleu Nord, maybe 20 minutes depending on which part of that site you are on.

One thing I would not miss these days is the Great British Welcome at Saint Saturnin on the Friday morning. Fantastic variety of cars, with this year's theme being Marcos.

Sean
Old 5 May 2017, 12:34 (Ref:3731210)   #3
Elaviel
Racer

England
Kent
Elaviel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridElaviel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did it for the first time in 10 years last year, I wasn't overly impressed! Far too busu,lots of heckling and huge gaps between the cars. I would definitely opt for the British welcome any day!
Old 5 May 2017, 12:57 (Ref:3731218)   #4
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The problem is that in order to get a decent viewing position you have to get in place well in advance of the parade which always feels a poor use of time.

In the past you could just sit at one of the bars in the Place de La Republique and catch glimpses of the parade but they've removed the roads in favour of the tram so now you can't even do that.

Helen and Sean are correct that the British Welcome event is worth the effort, or alternatively head down to Le Charte sur Le Loir for some history.
Old 5 May 2017, 12:57 (Ref:3731219)   #5
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Ok - that didn't take much persuasion - think I'm talked out of it. The GBW will work well anyway as we are staying near the University the Thursday night. The rest of my party haven't done that before either. We can do the mid-part of the day there and then head to BN for the camping.
Old 5 May 2017, 13:13 (Ref:3731229)   #6
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrimage View Post
Ok - that didn't take much persuasion - think I'm talked out of it. The GBW will work well anyway as we are staying near the University the Thursday night. The rest of my party haven't done that before either. We can do the mid-part of the day there and then head to BN for the camping.
I go to St Saturnin early to avoid the long queues to get in, arriving about 9:45. Then back to camp and do the pit walk in the afternoon as that is quieter then.

Sean
Old 5 May 2017, 13:22 (Ref:3731232)   #7
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
That sounds a good plan. We always go to Arnage Friday evening so that will fit with our plans.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 5 May 2017, 18:11 (Ref:3731303)   #8
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quite enjoy having a meal and a few beers in town - then heading to find a place and battling the locals for all the free tat that gets thrown out. Dragging CTD along too . Nice to feel the buzz before the race, especially if the weather is nice. I quite enjoy the complete random element to the parade. You can see anything from a La Ferrari, to the La Sarthe knitting association, to Jackie Chan.

I take the view there isn't really a lot else going on during Friday evening. But can completely see why it's not for everyone.
Old 5 May 2017, 18:58 (Ref:3731318)   #9
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Quite enjoy having a meal and a few beers in town - then heading to find a place and battling the locals for all the free tat that gets thrown out. Dragging CTD along too . Nice to feel the buzz before the race, especially if the weather is nice. I quite enjoy the complete random element to the parade. You can see anything from a La Ferrari, to the La Sarthe knitting association, to Jackie Chan.

I take the view there isn't really a lot else going on during Friday evening. But can completely see why it's not for everyone.
I quite enjoy this too!
Especially with Simmi being able to out shout danes for Christina Nielsens attention - not an easy feat to accomplish
Old 5 May 2017, 20:39 (Ref:3731349)   #10
claude2cv
Racer

Of course if they were to send the Mazda 787 around before the start of the parade like they did in 2011 I would go. That sound echoing off the high buildings was worth the aggravation
Old 6 May 2017, 12:43 (Ref:3731478)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Something you ought to do if you've never done it before. I've done it 3-4 times, but I don't feel the need to do it again.
Old 6 May 2017, 15:47 (Ref:3731563)   #12
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I second Aysedasi - if you've not done it before, go see it.
Old 6 May 2017, 16:32 (Ref:3731593)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Done it and been in it! I agree with the general sentiment in this thread. Everyone has been more than once to Le Mans should do it, but it's not a must every year.

For a few years we stayed in town so it was much easier.
Old 6 May 2017, 16:59 (Ref:3731610)   #14
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Never done the driversparade in 23 years is actually a Shame. You should at least do it once, Just to know what it is like and make up your own mind if you like it or not. I have been several times and liked it although it is to busy. I have to say during the years I stayed on the campsite I didn't miss the parade. BUT still if you have never seen it........ GO do it and take the tram.
Old 6 May 2017, 17:54 (Ref:3731659)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Take some cans or bottles get there early. Soak it in and join in with those around you.
Old 7 May 2017, 06:37 (Ref:3731863)   #16
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
I second Aysedasi - if you've not done it before, go see it.
Agreed, it's part of Le Mans week and a Le Mans tradition.
Old 11 May 2017, 07:11 (Ref:3732760)   #17
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Some good points and arguments
I think St Saturrin will get the nod this year now - will fit better with our plans. Maybe next year for the Parade - I'll live in shame until then!
Although it does sound a bit like hard work battling with locals.
Old 11 May 2017, 08:07 (Ref:3732768)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If you're there early enough (and assuming there is access like last year), do the pitwalk on Wednesday, it was brilliant last year - hardly anyone in there!
Old 11 May 2017, 08:23 (Ref:3732769)   #19
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
If you're there early enough (and assuming there is access like last year), do the pitwalk on Wednesday, it was brilliant last year - hardly anyone in there!
Was it open to GA tickets? Website says only Pitwalk ticket holders are allowed on Wed/Thu this year (though in 2015 I got in on both days with a GA ticket).
Old 11 May 2017, 10:00 (Ref:3732777)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Victor - yes, it was. I was surprised, but we just walked in.....