Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 11 Jun 2010, 17:27 (Ref:2709333)   #1
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rossi's Replacement?

OK, so we should really have a thread for this. Obviously Rossi is out with injury and will miss at the very least four races. Brno seems a probable return, which means a five race spell without Rossi. The team have already stated that they will not field a replacement at Silverstone and Assen. So that leaves Catalunya, Sachsenring and Laguna; and maybe more. What are the possibilities?

The Test Rider: Yamaha could just put in a test rider as a substitute. I have not looked at their roster, but I assume this would be an older Japanese rider. They tend to not do so well.

The Yamaha Shuffle: The most likely scenario is Edwards slots in from Tech 3. Vale and Edwards used to test together, and most likely Edwards still gives lots of testing information to Yamaha. This isn't my favorite choice, but it seems probable.

That would leave a vacancy at Tech 3, which could be filled by a Moto 2 rider, Toseland, or Crutchlow.

Why Not Spies?: I believe Yamaha and Spies would rather not go down this route. I mean I'm sure Ben would love to ride Rossi's bike, but he does already have quite a bit of pressure with learning new tracks and moving forward with his rookie Moto GP program. I don't see any positives from this.

What have I missed?
Old 11 Jun 2010, 17:41 (Ref:2709348)   #2
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As an aside, Yamaha are contracted to put a replacement rider in after two races, which would be Catalunya. This is just lame, especially considering the small grid. In my opinion, a replacement rider should be brought in right away. Each team should have to nominate a replacement rider for the season. It only makes sense, given the nature of bike racing. Injuries do happen, but that shouldn't hurt the grid.
Old 11 Jun 2010, 18:11 (Ref:2709364)   #3
2000yellow360
Racer

United States
California
2000yellow360 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that it will be Spies, but the real question is whether they will change the livery on the bike or not. They may well put someone else on the bike, but use Rossi's bike for him (spies). The alternative is that the replacement gets all the slow motors, and when Rossi comes back, he has the fast motors left. The Yamaha is down on power, so while others have used their "good" motors, he is left with the best motors for the end of the season. I wonder if Spies will realize that and understand that they aren't doing him any favors.

Art
Old 11 Jun 2010, 18:19 (Ref:2709370)   #4
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Regarding Spies, what about the rule about not allowing rookies on factory teams? Does that put him out of the running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000yellow360 View Post
They may well put someone else on the bike, but use Rossi's bike for him (spies). The alternative is that the replacement gets all the slow motors, and when Rossi comes back, he has the fast motors left. The Yamaha is down on power, so while others have used their "good" motors, he is left with the best motors for the end of the season.
Just use a test rider in that scenario then.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 10:36 (Ref:2709668)   #5
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen View Post
Regarding Spies, what about the rule about not allowing rookies on factory teams? Does that put him out of the running?

Exactly the point I was going to make. I'd like to see Colin on the bike just so he gets one more chance to win a race as he still has not, despite being very close on occasion. Stick a test rider or the Tech3 Moto2 Jap fella on Colins bike.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 13:05 (Ref:2709752)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Colin has not been close to winning a race for a long time, last time was Holland in 2006.

He should not be on the bike now and has been off the pace consistently all year.

I have no opinion on who should be on it and actually hope no one gets put on it, that way Ezpeleta looks an idiot, there is no show with about 4 bikes on the pace and someone might force him to bring the new rules in next year!

GP without Rossi is duller than F1 in all honesty, the racing has been atrocious with very few exceptions!
Old 13 Jun 2010, 13:59 (Ref:2711077)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
On this occasion chunder I actually agree with you. Moto GP has been getting worse with falling grids, and with Rossi out for the forseeable future I cant see it getting any better. After the first couple of laps it normally gets boring to watch and if it wasnt for the support races I would think that people would vote with their feet !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 13 Jun 2010, 14:34 (Ref:2711113)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can Mr Stoner wangle his way out of his Ducati contract to take the ride?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 13 Jun 2010, 21:58 (Ref:2711506)   #9
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In a word!! No
Old 15 Jun 2010, 16:42 (Ref:2712662)   #10
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
MCN report that Crutchlow has turned down the chance to ride with Tech 3 while Edwards takes Rossi's seat. Haven't seen anywhere that Edwards was chosen, but it seems most likely. Either way, they have a quote from Crutchlow saying he had discussions with Yamaha, but ultimately decided not to do it.

Can't blame him. Switching back and forth between bikes and tires, and new tracks etc. Not a good environment.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 19:03 (Ref:2712742)   #11
GOLDFINGER
Racer

GOLDFINGER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not just let Max take the Aprilla out on gp tyres ?
Old 15 Jun 2010, 19:23 (Ref:2712759)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Edwards! How utterly dull!! Why not stick Herrin ot Hayes on the thing, at least someone or something different

I am sick of Edwards, should have retired years ago! every week he qualifies well then slumps, and now we are told he has some kind of Stoner illness! If so get well soon.... then retire!!
Old 21 Jun 2010, 14:44 (Ref:2715728)   #13
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Edwards spoke at Silverstone and said he has zero chance of being Rossi's sub for the coming races. Surly Spies then?
Old 21 Jun 2010, 17:12 (Ref:2715854)   #14
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I actually wonder after the Moto X accident and the broken leg will he possibly call it a day ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Jun 2010, 20:59 (Ref:2716013)   #15
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Rossi? Are you kidding? Jeez!!
Old 21 Jun 2010, 22:18 (Ref:2716073)   #16
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Well up to now he has remained relatively unscathed in a long career and doesn't have anything else to prove. Don't get me wrong as love him or not he is brilliant for the sport and motorsport in general needs characters to up the profile.
As for a replacement ? It won't be a certain Mr Edwards, but whoever it is will have to play second fiddle to Lorenzo !
Old 21 Jun 2010, 23:46 (Ref:2716093)   #17
2000yellow360
Racer

United States
California
I think that Spies may be getting the works equipment for his bike. Just a guess on my part, but from the way it looked on Sunday, his stuff can and does run with the factory stuff, and as you can see from Edward's bike, his can't.

We'll see the replacement next weekend, and anybody want to bet that that bike will be a tech3 bike in factory livery?

Art
Old 22 Jun 2010, 12:20 (Ref:2716302)   #18
JohnnyFiama
Racer

JohnnyFiama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000yellow360 View Post
I think that Spies may be getting the works equipment for his bike. Just a guess on my part, but from the way it looked on Sunday, his stuff can and does run with the factory stuff, and as you can see from Edward's bike, his can't.
Isn't that just the difference between the person sitting on the bike?
Old 22 Jun 2010, 15:26 (Ref:2716374)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Phone call from Mr Webber is a positive sign of Mr Rossi coming back. August 15 sounds too soon though

Seems like musical chairs are coming, with Mr Stoner allegedly to Honda in 2010, Mr Pedrosa to Yamaha allegedly, Mr Rossi to Ducati.... maybe they should just all go now
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 22 Jun 2010, 16:54 (Ref:2716422)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is Webber calling Rossi every day? I have read that story many times in the past few weeks, if I were Vale I'd be bricking it.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 01:47 (Ref:2716663)   #21
2000yellow360
Racer

United States
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFiama View Post
Isn't that just the difference between the person sitting on the bike?
I don't think so. There are significant differences in the vehicles. Motors for the Fiat team make a little more power, the suspension pieces for the Fiat team are the lastest, while the Tech3 stuff is just a little older, and maybe not quite as good. There are differences between the actual works stuff and the satellite stuff. I found that out when I raced with equipment from the British Ducati Distributor back in the 80s. When I got the good stuff, I won, when I didn't I didn't.
Old 23 Jun 2010, 14:21 (Ref:2716873)   #22
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Davide Brivio on Twitter a couple of minutes ago:

"Wataru Yoshikawa, the Japanese Yamaha test rider, will replace Valentino starting from Barcelona GP next week, while waiting for Valentino."

You heard it here first folks!
Old 23 Jun 2010, 15:13 (Ref:2716908)   #23
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
So the question is, will the test rider get the official equipment, or will someone like Spies be riding "Rossi's" bike?
Old 23 Jun 2010, 15:30 (Ref:2716913)   #24
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
and will he keep it after Rossi comes back ??

Ciao Marco
Old 23 Jun 2010, 16:01 (Ref:2716923)   #25
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen View Post
So the question is, will the test rider get the official equipment, or will someone like Spies be riding "Rossi's" bike?
I think if Yamaha wanted Spies on "Rossi's bike" he would have it already. Looking at Silverstone, maybe he did! There is nothing in the regs limiting the equipment a rookie can use, it simply states that a rookie can not ride for a factory team. It would be perfectly legal for Yamaha to transfer Rossi's bike to Tech 3 for Spies' use while Vale is absent.

Interesting listening to Jeremy Burgess on our coverage last weekend, (the only positive out of Rossi's accident), his opinion on Spies was; leave him alone and let him learn and progress at his own pace. He was not in favour of putting him on Rossi's bike. He said it would add a lot of extra pressure for him to achieve good results while still a rookie and still learning the bikes/tyres/tracks etc. I tend to agree.

I cannot however, see any sense in putting Yoshikawa on Rossi's bike. He will be 3-4 seconds off the pace at best. We are likely to have the "prime" bike in the field circulating at the back of the pack. What use is that to Fiat or Yamaha? Why not put Yoshikawa in Tech 3 and Edwards on Rossi's bike, or at least in Fiat colours? Colin would be unlikely to win or podium, but he is popular and would be able to generate some interest and give mileage to the sponsors. Yoshikawa is unlikely to gain much TV time unless he bins it.