DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda in BAR Decision

Report on BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/3462523.stm

Apparently Honda are weighing up whether to renew their contract with BAR. It expires this summer. Any thoughts?
Old 5 Feb 2004, 16:32 (Ref:864216)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
If they don't renew they'll pull out - I can't see them linking up with another team. If anything it's more likely they'll buy a bigger share of the team, BAT will be looking to reduce their input so it's an ideal time for both parties to come to an agreement.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 16:34 (Ref:864218)   #3
Christopher3
Rookie

England
Warwickshire
Christopher3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They could go back to Jordan
Old 5 Feb 2004, 16:34 (Ref:864220)   #4
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very large company demanding results now! They [Bar] appear to be on the up in testing,it remains to be seen if this can be replicated in the races.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 16:44 (Ref:864234)   #5
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BAT want to sell BAR by 2006, so I guess they are hoping that Honda not only renew the deal, but opens it's cheque books and buys the team as well.

According to Martin Broughton ,chairman of BAT, (interviewed in January's F1 Business) "That is the date (2006) we have to be out, and the team will be sold or closed down by that date"

BAT owns 91% of BAR, having converted various loans it made to the team, into shares, This will allegedly increase to virtual complete ownership by 2006, as any remaining loans are consolidated into shares.

As we saw from the figures in the budget thread, nearly 90% of the teams income comes from Honda (68%) and BAT (22%) combined, so they are heavily dependent on the continued involvement of Honda.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 16:51 (Ref:864239)   #6
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, I didn't realise their deal was up this year. Certainly gives us a reason for Richards talking the team up so much over the last few weeks, doesn't it? Being cynical, (who, me?!), this could also be construed as another reason for those speedy test times The first half of this year is make or break for BAR. If they don't look strong (i.e., top-3 or 4 strong, given the talk from Richards and co.), they're in trouble. Button will be off to Williams next year and Honda would do well to save face and pretend as if the last five years never happened.

Realistically speaking, though, they'll probably increase their ownership in the team. BAT must surely know the end is nigh for tobacco sponsorship.

Last edited by Testure; 5 Feb 2004 at 16:52.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 17:07 (Ref:864255)   #7
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
i think Bar should look at the reliabilty this year then decide to renew or not... Last year it was BLOW GALORE with the Honda engines not something Bar will want in the recent future now that chassis seems to be improving...
Old 5 Feb 2004, 18:41 (Ref:864360)   #8
speedbump
Racer

Canada
Toronto
speedbump should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree. RELIABILITY.
As a team they will score more point at the end of the day if the car hold together.
I'd like to see Honda with it's own F1 team Maybe 2006 as stated above.
I think Honda alone will be more successfull that BAT.
Just by how they run there car buisness.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 19:16 (Ref:864401)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's all very well for this to be interpreted as Honda demanding results - but much of the reason for BAR's lack of results lies at the door of exploding Honda engines.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 20:00 (Ref:864474)   #10
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Honda did pull out then, what other engines are there that BAR could use?
Old 5 Feb 2004, 20:11 (Ref:864487)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Possibly Ford, but if Honda does go I think FIA would urge Mercedes, BMW and Renault to supply second teams.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 20:13 (Ref:864491)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Honda should go bother the boys at Sauber. If Sauber didnt have to pay US$20m+ for teh Faz motors and transmissions, they could throw money at drivers and testing and engineering.... and maybe even win
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 5 Feb 2004, 23:04 (Ref:864712)   #13
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
It's all very well for this to be interpreted as Honda demanding results - but much of the reason for BAR's lack of results lies at the door of exploding Honda engines.
Engines are integrated components these days...they can fail if the systems serving them faulter!

Honda saw this as a long term plan, I dont see them pulling out.

Last edited by Rennen; 5 Feb 2004 at 23:06.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 23:21 (Ref:864735)   #14
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Testure
Certainly gives us a reason for Richards talking the team up so much over the last few weeks, doesn't it? Being cynical, (who, me?!), this could also be construed as another reason for those speedy test times
Well that would make sense if the decision was this week, not six months from now.

They are not going to be top 3, and regardless of what BAR are telling the press, I'm sure DR is giving a more realistic forecast to the teams partners.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 02:06 (Ref:864911)   #15
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren's misery continues. Although both Coulthard and Wurz have closed the gap to the front-runners they are still over a second off the pace. Furthermore, the Scotsman suffered a technical problem after lunch, which meant that he didn't come out again, while Pedro de la Rosa, who was meant to be on duty, spent the day kicking his heels. Wurz also had technical problems which restricted his track-time...

If Mac keeps this up there may be a place open in the top three...
Old 6 Feb 2004, 02:37 (Ref:864930)   #16
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda will most likely buy BAR out. It makes perfect sense to Honda if they want to be in F1 because it gives them the same International Recognition as Yoyota. Mercedes and BMW, while involved, would not get as much publicity as people always say McLaren or BMW.. Honda gets the oportunity to have its own team and its own cars to promote car sales..
its an oppurtunity too good to miss because all the infrustructure is already in place..
Maybe they could bring back John Surtees and Richie Ginther to celebrate Honda returning to f1 in there own right.

-Jason
Old 6 Feb 2004, 09:57 (Ref:865195)   #17
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Yes, Honda should buy out BAR. They need more interaction.

I agree with the post of the main reason for poor performance being the exploding Honda engines. Based upon their past glories, their engines just don't cut it.

Perhaps if they do buy out BAR, they can make the engine better.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 12:58 (Ref:865380)   #18
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Engine/chassis integration could be a cause of exploding engines - if the aero of the car gives insufficient cooling, for example.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 13:39 (Ref:865416)   #19
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
Or the engine could be .
Old 7 Feb 2004, 00:36 (Ref:865961)   #20
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well this is the year for results- i feel that BAT should go away, they seem to muck up the works anyway and HONDA should come back as a full factory effort, it will be the only way they can win.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 00:48 (Ref:865965)   #21
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ah!...Richie Ginther...the human dynomintor!...I think he passed away years ago!