Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 24 Nov 2013, 23:14 (Ref:3336245)   #26
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hindy thinks AER will build the engines, So I'm guessing that they are just looking for someone to badge it.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 02:36 (Ref:3336319)   #27
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, thanks, folks. I'll wait and see.
Old 26 Nov 2013, 21:19 (Ref:3337132)   #28
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
AER is the engine of choice.

http://www.racer.com/indy-lights-ser...rticle/322778/
Old 26 Nov 2013, 23:49 (Ref:3337212)   #29
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
That's an interesting article in it's own right. Andersen clearly has a clear cut plan and agenda for Indy Lights, something that seems beyond the grasp of the powers that be at the IRL.

To quote Andersen,

“Regardless, I looked at the engine lease deals that everyone was proposing, everyone had nice motors, but there was not a lot of support being offered for the series or the champion's prizes, so I decided if I go with AER, I've got a bespoke engine and I can badge it with any manufacturer that wants to come along and partner with the series. It gives me options.”
Old 27 Nov 2013, 02:21 (Ref:3337237)   #30
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
That's an interesting article in it's own right. Andersen clearly has a clear cut plan and agenda for Indy Lights, something that seems beyond the grasp of the powers that be at the IRL.

To quote Andersen,

“Regardless, I looked at the engine lease deals that everyone was proposing, everyone had nice motors, but there was not a lot of support being offered for the series or the champion's prizes, so I decided if I go with AER, I've got a bespoke engine and I can badge it with any manufacturer that wants to come along and partner with the series. It gives me options.”
That does seem canny. I'll be interested to see what comes of it... and if there is any pushback from the IndyCar and other Road to Indy engine suppliers (i.e., Chevy, Honda, Mazda).
Old 3 Dec 2013, 01:24 (Ref:3339554)   #31
Baigu
Rookie

Canada
Ottawa
Baigu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indy Lights should have gone with LMP2 engines. Multiple engines builders and could have lead to some minor factory sponsorships or drivers ( ex:Nissan GT academy drivers...)
Old 3 Dec 2013, 15:13 (Ref:3339757)   #32
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baigu View Post
Indy Lights should have gone with LMP2 engines. Multiple engines builders and could have lead to some minor factory sponsorships or drivers ( ex:Nissan GT academy drivers...)
I've never heard of a lower formula series running multiple engines. The cost a lone would be prohibitive, which is why one engine is chosen, e.g. Formula Ford, Fornula Renault. If Andersen and Nissan agree a deal, then the engines can be badged as Nissan.
Old 3 Dec 2013, 16:00 (Ref:3339773)   #33
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
The AER engine is based on the 'Mazdaspeed' LMP2 engine anyway. (Correct me if i'm wrong)

My guess would be that Andersen is angling for Mazda to buy naming rights to bolster the 'Road to Indy' thing.
Old 3 Dec 2013, 16:23 (Ref:3339782)   #34
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
My guess would be that Andersen is angling for Mazda to buy naming rights to bolster the 'Road to Indy' thing.
That would make all kinds of sense... Mazda's involvement in the Road to Indy has always seemed at odds with the rest of the series engine makes/sponsorship (Infiniti in Lights, Honda/Chevy/Lotus*spit* in the big series). Putting a Mazda (badged) lump in the lights cars would seem to solidify their involvement and make a lot more marketing sense to me. Guess we'll see.
Old 23 Dec 2013, 16:26 (Ref:3347259)   #35
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Gomick, the USF2000 also started with low grids, but grew to 30 for year 3.
What have they done that the grid improved so much?
Old 23 Dec 2013, 16:28 (Ref:3347260)   #36
Formulahistory
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
The 1st FR 3.5. Same monocoque and similar nose, IIRC.
But the first FR 3.5 1998 were Coloni chassis, that weren't the same chassis than in Indy Lights, were they?

If so: There were no teams from FR3.5 who competed in Indy Lights, were there?
Old 23 Dec 2013, 16:47 (Ref:3347270)   #37
Formulahistory
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I've never heard of a lower formula series running multiple engines. The cost a lone would be prohibitive, which is why one engine is chosen, e.g. Formula Ford, Fornula Renault. If Andersen and Nissan agree a deal, then the engines can be badged as Nissan.
F3 runs different engine builders. And when F1 could make a budget cap, why not a lower Formula Series?
Old 24 Dec 2013, 00:32 (Ref:3347439)   #38
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulahistory View Post
F3 runs different engine builders. And when F1 could make a budget cap, why not a lower Formula Series?
I stand corrected.
Old 24 Dec 2013, 07:15 (Ref:3347504)   #39
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
But the first FR 3.5 1998 were Coloni chassis, that weren't the same chassis than in Indy Lights, were they?

If so: There were no teams from FR3.5 who competed in Indy Lights, were there?

I'm talking about the Tatuus when it was the FRV6 championship.
Old 24 Dec 2013, 07:16 (Ref:3347506)   #40
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
What have they done that the grid improved so much?
Allowed Formula Enterprise cars, of which there are plenty in club racing.
Old 24 Dec 2013, 12:48 (Ref:3347583)   #41
Formulahistory
Veteran

But something is not realistic for Indy Lights...
Old 29 Dec 2013, 19:06 (Ref:3348640)   #42
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Latest renderings look pretty good.

http://www.racer.com/latest-look-at-...rticle/327199/
Old 29 Dec 2013, 22:10 (Ref:3348721)   #43
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Now the tyres looks proportionate to the car.

Still, the flat, low nose isn't my type. The rest is perfectly fine.
Old 30 Dec 2013, 16:58 (Ref:3348951)   #44
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks good to me, better than DW-12 for sure!
Old 30 Dec 2013, 17:08 (Ref:3348955)   #45
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Latest renderings look pretty good.

http://www.racer.com/latest-look-at-...rticle/327199/
It's not that different from the original rendering but overall it's step in the right direction. Shame the DW12 couldn't look more like this, the Lights car is positively beautiful in comparison.
Old 1 Jan 2014, 17:50 (Ref:3349481)   #46
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It looks much nicer and better proportioned than the earlier rendering, at least from the limited angles shown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
I'm talking about the Tatuus when it was the FRV6 championship.
The outgoing Indy Lights chassis (Dallara IPS) was I believe closely related to the Dallara SN01 raced from 2002-04 in World Series by Nissan/F.Nissan 3.5, not the Formula Renault V6 Eurocup Tatuus which had the separate series in 2003-04.