Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jan 2017, 15:41 (Ref:3701850)   #126
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
it's a smart move too - if all the existing uk circuits rule themselves out, that means f1 has two choices. a grand prix at silverstone that is affordable for the owners, or no grand prix in great britain.

you can imagine the uproar from everyone - teams, sponsors, fans, the press - if it was announced that there was no be no british grand prix...
Sadly Bella, I suspect that most teams would not care too much as any replacement would probably mean more money in the kitty, and possibly richer sponsors from the host nation. Only the British drivers would care, and I'm not sure about all of them.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 16:20 (Ref:3701860)   #127
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
F1 would carry on without a British GP, in the same way as it has done for years without the French GP, and will without a German GP etc.

Much as teams might complain to the media, I dont expect that they would see the lack of a British GP as the end of the world. I doubt many sponsors would care whether their logo is seen on a TV screen on a car in Northampton, or on a TV screen on a car in Nagpur.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 21:59 (Ref:3701907)   #128
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Precisely, I couldn't care less of there was a GP here, it might rid Silverstone of some of the crippling debt it is riddled with and might though I doubt it make these people realise you cant hold every country to ransome for a motor race just because Arabs have deep pockets
Old 11 Jan 2017, 22:33 (Ref:3701915)   #129
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No British GP and, worse, no Italian GP will harm F1.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 23:48 (Ref:3701925)   #130
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I doubt you would find many people in Europe who would agree with you there sorry.
Old 12 Jan 2017, 00:00 (Ref:3701929)   #131
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
No British GP and, worse, no Italian GP will harm F1.
Only if they happen in the same year. A gradual withdrawal won't phase too many unfortunately, just us purists. Just the same that Korea, India, and Valencia and Turkey and Indianapolis, and... etc didn't harm the circus.

Still, there is always the London street circuit proposal. Haven't seen that trotted out yet this time 'round.
Old 12 Jan 2017, 00:35 (Ref:3701932)   #132
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
They need to find a buyer and exit stage any side. Not hang in. Then maybe someone who understands how to run a business and turn a profit can manage the place properly.

The biggest challenge some think they face is where the blazers can park their cars, old boy, at least 50 years out of date
Old 12 Jan 2017, 01:02 (Ref:3701935)   #133
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
it's a smart move too - if all the existing uk circuits rule themselves out, that means f1 has two choices. a grand prix at silverstone that is affordable for the owners, or no grand prix in great britain.

you can imagine the uproar from everyone - teams, sponsors, fans, the press - if it was announced that there was no be no british grand prix...
I think more fans would just walk away if there was no Grand Prix at Silverstone..
Old 12 Jan 2017, 07:45 (Ref:3701976)   #134
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
If you are running a huge facility like Silverstone and you have signed up to a contract that escalates year on year. I think the blame has to be pointed at the people who accepted and signed that contract, because the escalator is not a few quid, it is millions of pounds more year on year.

If you can't make money with the existing deal, what makes anyone think they could if they have to pay more each year?

Silverstone hosts some huge events over the year but as we have found out on this thread, hosting massive meetings means you perhaps do not make as much money as you think. Or so we are told from one venue and I cant imagine others are that different.

Be interesting to know how Palmer goes about it differently. If you look he doesn't really host that many huge international events as the hosting fees mean he either takes a profit hit or puts up tickets prices massively, something he isn't prepared to do.

And one of his biggest series, BSB, he owns anyway!
Old 12 Jan 2017, 09:28 (Ref:3701990)   #135
snoz wanger
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckshaw, Chorley......and Druids..
snoz wanger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands

Hi everyone.......somebody asked earlier...."whats happened to Brands Hatch these days?......Answer....its still majestic and amazing with smallish gravel traps and savage "MENS" corners like Paddock hill, its steeped in history the atmosphere is always electric, in the 60s, and 70s I would stand there with my Dad watching Gladiators of the sport dueling in epic battles literally risking life and limb and then see them on the podium having a beer and a fag! If you watch "RUSH".....Thats not a film its how it was!......Im afraid we are never going back my friends your stuck with flat boring large gravel trapped rubbish.

Thanks Bernard!!!!! {but it pays for the helicopters}.

Old 12 Jan 2017, 10:32 (Ref:3702017)   #136
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
If you are running a huge facility like Silverstone and you have signed up to a contract that escalates year on year. I think the blame has to be pointed at the people who accepted and signed that contract, because the escalator is not a few quid, it is millions of pounds more year on year.
i agree, to a point. but what if, at the time, there was no alternative but to sign the contract to guarantee the short term future of the race. they fully expected to need to renegotiate it in the future and were anticipating multiple venues having the same issue?
Old 12 Jan 2017, 10:35 (Ref:3702018)   #137
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MSV acquires Donington, announced this morning. Initial 21 year lease.
Old 12 Jan 2017, 11:47 (Ref:3702050)   #138
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Interesting news that

Be fascinating to see what happens with some of the bigger events that happen at Donington now. JP has a history of not really being keen on paying large fees for events at his tracks, unless they are doing well. So let's hope he keeps to that habit.
Old 12 Jan 2017, 12:57 (Ref:3702072)   #139
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I agree, couldn't have gone to a better person
Old 12 Jan 2017, 13:34 (Ref:3702087)   #140
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I wish they would go back to green and white kerbs at the MSV tracks.
Old 12 Jan 2017, 16:25 (Ref:3702132)   #141
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I agree, couldn't have gone to a better person
agree with this, but said in a sarcastic not optimistic tone
Old 12 Jan 2017, 23:02 (Ref:3702206)   #142
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I honestly believe Bernie's problem with Silverstone (which usually produces great races and huge, knowledgeable crowds) is that it attracts no government subsidy. He doesn't need more money, he just likes world leaders to lick his boots clean, and he's continuously failed to achieve that here.
Old 13 Jan 2017, 07:58 (Ref:3702269)   #143
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I think it might be something else too.

He will probably have numerous current or future projects in his back pocket ready to go and gets fed up with the moaning and dithering the BRDC offer when it comes to deal time.

Think of it from his point of view, if you have government backed, spanking new tracks in your back pocket and you have to deal with a fairly old, tatty circuit, then are you going to be hugely enthused to deal with that for months on end? He doesn't care where the new tracks are or history.

I think he gives them leeway at times, but whoever signed this escalating contract is a complete idiot in all honesty. That should never have been an aspect to the deal as you can only make SO much money out of an event, all that is left for Silverstone to do is to year on year raise the tickets prices by 20% or so and hope people will still come.
Old 13 Jan 2017, 08:26 (Ref:3702271)   #144
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What is probably the big problem with the escalator is the low inflation rates we have had for the last few years. If inflation had be running at 4 or 5 % for the last few years it would not be an issue.
Old 13 Jan 2017, 10:41 (Ref:3702301)   #145
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
But there was similarly low inflation when the deal was signed a few years ago, so either way that aspect of the contract was fairly poorly overlooked.

I totally understand why they signed it, but really, you can't moan about it as they have done in the last few weeks when you have signed a deal that makes it harder and harder to run the event!!
Old 13 Jan 2017, 18:20 (Ref:3702389)   #146
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Didn't Damon Hill sign this deal? Somewhere in my head, I remember him negotiating a deal for many years...someone will know on here..
Old 13 Jan 2017, 18:35 (Ref:3702390)   #147
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
But there was similarly low inflation when the deal was signed a few years ago, so either way that aspect of the contract was fairly poorly overlooked.

I totally understand why they signed it, but really, you can't moan about it as they have done in the last few weeks when you have signed a deal that makes it harder and harder to run the event!!
The place is run like a village Cricket club by people with a very similar mindset.
Maybe the BRDC should return to a smoke filled room full of leather chairs and no women somewhere in West London. Watch Palmer sort Donington out!
Old 13 Jan 2017, 22:04 (Ref:3702430)   #148
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
The place is run like a village Cricket club by people with a very similar mindset.
Maybe the BRDC should return to a smoke filled room full of leather chairs and no women somewhere in West London. Watch Palmer sort Donington out!
Absolutely, the place could be so much more profitable but no, better to put your efforts into a new clubhouse or then build an awful new pitlane in the wrong place...
Old 14 Jan 2017, 07:59 (Ref:3702479)   #149
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think Donington could use a little investment. I was saddened when Starkey's bar closed, I hoped that could be re-opened at some point.
Old 14 Jan 2017, 17:00 (Ref:3702547)   #150
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
I'm also staggered that to convert the hanger building into a heritage centre providing a 2 hour 'interactive experience' is going to cost £20M! As a comparison a well known superstore brand is building a brand new store (which may well be bigger than the hanger) in our area, including demolition of an existing site, creation of car parking, landscaping, etc and we are told the budget for that is £4.5M...

I hope the estimator for the Wing is not leading this project too...!