Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 28 Jan 2017, 21:13 (Ref:3706027)   #326
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
But is it watching you?
Nice one.
Old 28 Jan 2017, 22:33 (Ref:3706156)   #327
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 29 Jan 2017, 08:01 (Ref:3706766)   #328
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If anyone has read the Ian M Banks books then what he wrote about is what is happening.

We don't have the "minds" and the physiology of his stories but things are moving that way.

Fascinating.
Old 29 Jan 2017, 12:24 (Ref:3706893)   #329
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Strewth Max, that's all a bit heavy for a Saturday eve!

Gotta go, Daytona 24 should be starting soon......

Bet you're only watching to hear Calvin Fish's Norwich accent! He's been in America a lot of years but he's never really lost it.
Old 29 Jan 2017, 13:11 (Ref:3706928)   #330
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Calvin used to train in same gym as me when he was climbing the racing ladder! Funny how some people never lose their native accent, and yet others change completely..... I'm watching RLM stream, so no ads and Hindy's accent instead!
Old 29 Jan 2017, 13:16 (Ref:3706934)   #331
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Calvin used to train in same gym as me when he was climbing the racing ladder! Funny how some people never lose their native accent, and yet others change completely..... I'm watching RLM stream, so no ads and Hindy's accent instead!
I think I'd rather have the ads! Hindy's best with the sound turned off.

I knew Calvin thru' FF, FF2000, F3 etc. Do you know if his father is still around? He was a bit of a lad...
Old 29 Jan 2017, 14:13 (Ref:3706988)   #332
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Is that the same as "A good voice for a mime act"?
Old 29 Jan 2017, 14:19 (Ref:3706994)   #333
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Is that the same as "A good voice for a mime act"?

You could say that!
Old 29 Jan 2017, 15:11 (Ref:3707049)   #334
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This has just popped up in my email. It's about the Future of Motorsport in the Autonomous vehicle age.

Have a read.

Worthy of a thread of its own (is there one already?) or shall we just bat it about in here for a couple of pages and see how people feel before deciding whether to pin it to a noticeboard?

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/T...id=mjS_LcP3VFc

Last edited by grantp; 29 Jan 2017 at 15:17.
Old 29 Jan 2017, 15:18 (Ref:3707058)   #335
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post

I knew Calvin thru' FF, FF2000, F3 etc. Do you know if his father is still around? He was a bit of a lad...
Didn't know Mr Fish senior, so no idea I'm afraid.

I've got no issue with JH's regional accent, so am perfect happy to follow RLM coverage!

Old 29 Jan 2017, 15:22 (Ref:3707064)   #336
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
This has just popped up in my email. It's about the Future of Motorsport in the Autonomous vehicle age.

Have a read.

Worthy of a thread of its own (is there one already?) or shall we just bat it about in here for a couple of pages and see how people feel before deciding whether to pin it to a noticeboard?

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/T...id=mjS_LcP3VFc
IMO Hardly of concern to historic racers and racing! Can't see why it would need to be pinned to HRT section...... If it belongs anywhere it's in Racing Technology?
Old 29 Jan 2017, 15:49 (Ref:3707128)   #337
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
IMO Hardly of concern to historic racers and racing! Can't see why it would need to be pinned to HRT section...... If it belongs anywhere it's in Racing Technology?
Mike,

It was the question about "Will it only be historic racing that is left?" (Or words to that effect) that caught my attention.

If that turned out to be the case would it be good for the continuation of the Historic scene as we see it now? Or would it change it to the point that we old codgers would no longer find it involving?

More to the point, perhaps, would there still be the breadth of infrastructure - circuits, clubs, engineering support, fuel, etc., to sustain the fun at anything like a grass roots level?

And looking not too far out, although possibly beyond the point at which we might still retain enough brain power to have any interest (bauble excepted of course), will it be possible transport "stuff" around the country and further afield in order to satisfy the urge to go racing?
Old 29 Jan 2017, 16:11 (Ref:3707164)   #338
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
IMHO- I think it will be a while before we have autonomous cars racing. There's still liability / legality issues to be resolved before they can be used on roads.....

Old 29 Jan 2017, 18:43 (Ref:3707337)   #339
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
IMHO- I think it will be a while before we have autonomous cars racing. There's still liability / legality issues to be resolved before they can be used on roads.....

Dont they already have an Audi RS7 achieving great lap times at Hockenheim in "nobody on board" mode? (Audi RS7 piloted driving concept)
OK may be the machine is copying what has been done before by a human.
Old 29 Jan 2017, 19:41 (Ref:3707538)   #340
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I'm sure it's all possible, but a driverless race? I'm not so sure about that happening any time soon. Too many 'what ifs'!

If it does ever happen maybe Formula E would be a good place to try it.......
Old 29 Jan 2017, 20:15 (Ref:3707565)   #341
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'm sure it's all possible, but a driverless race? I'm not so sure about that happening any time soon. Too many 'what ifs'!

I'm not sure that the modern F1 driver has much to do as it is Mike, witness Hamilton in Baku not knowing what button did what when things went wrong.

Heck they could even be dummies in the things anyway, probably have a real person jump in on the slow down lap for the finish.
Old 29 Jan 2017, 20:19 (Ref:3707569)   #342
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:

Why not a driverless race?

Just full size remote controlled cars after all, though with more onboard intelligence.

Granted the motivation for taking part may have changed somewhat.

No need for marshals. Easy to set a controlled pace speed if some cleanup is required by a crash crew although one assumes that after a little development and absent the human factor, crashes and incidents will be few an far between unless programmed in.

No problem with spectators either - like now really. Few enough they should be easy to control.

I thought they were already trying it in Formula E. The drivers only do the press conferences and podiums don't they? (So I heard ...)

Old 29 Jan 2017, 21:00 (Ref:3707587)   #343
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They're not even remote control cars are they? They're totally autonomous using sat nav type tech to find and learn their way round the track. Not hitting each other should be a doddle, and without human cock ups you'll get cars racing to their limit for the whole race. Fascinating. For engineers. Pretty rubbish for the rest of us.

As worrying is something you may have missed - the SIM race supporting the LA Formula E race. $1m prize fund for a glorified Playstation. It is a genuine threat to internal combustion engined sport.

Old 29 Jan 2017, 21:53 (Ref:3707610)   #344
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
They're not even remote control cars are they? They're totally autonomous using sat nav type tech to find and learn their way round the track. Not hitting each other should be a doddle, and without human cock ups you'll get cars racing to their limit for the whole race. Fascinating. For engineers. Pretty rubbish for the rest of us.

True Max, but I figured they would need someone doing something to re-program strategy, hit an off button if something totally unprogrammed happened or it simply grew a mind of its own.
Old 29 Jan 2017, 22:50 (Ref:3707631)   #345
midgetman
Veteran

Chess grand master? Max Mosley said he always wanted F1 to be a game of chess. Whatever it won't need to be a "driver", a squidgy bit with huge bravery, a lot of talent and just a dash of madness.

Old 29 Jan 2017, 23:17 (Ref:3707638)   #346
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Chess grand master? Max Mosley said he always wanted F1 to be a game of chess. Whatever it won't need to be a "driver", a squidgy bit with huge bravery, a lot of talent and just a dash of madness.
But if they eventually resort to console game type control it's not beyond possibility that they could "CrowdDrive" the vehicle splicing several driver's actions together to deliver the control - something like the "best theoretical lap" calculations that timing systems can offer.

I could see some potential for auctioning the drives $10M buys you solo rights, $1M you share with 9 others. $10 you share with 1M others.

That sort of thing.
Old 30 Jan 2017, 08:41 (Ref:3707713)   #347
midgetman
Veteran

You need to look into Sim racing, I-racing, call it what you will. It's getting big and will soon be mainstream. There is a whole new generation that are not interested in the internal combustion engine.

Autonomous racing will be for the constructors and requires a track, you need nothing other than a PC and an Internet connection for I-racing. It will energise the masses.

Old 30 Jan 2017, 09:03 (Ref:3707714)   #348
bauble
Veteran

England
A man climbed into his new all-electric, computer controlled, satellite navigated wonder car, and pressed a button on his Super Smart Phone.
The car purred into life and a recorded voice informed him that

"You are being driven in the most advanced car ever built, it can drive itself, just tell it where you want to go and it will take you there by the quickest, most efficient route. It has every safety feature known to man, it is totally automatic, nothing can go wrong, nothing can go wrong, nothing can go .....!"

Be warned.
Old 30 Jan 2017, 09:05 (Ref:3707715)   #349
midgetman
Veteran

The only thing wrong there Bauble s 'purred' into life. There will be no engine. There will be no sound.

Yes it's going to happen. Maybe not in our lifetimes but the signposts are there.

As long as the cars are genuinely autonomous and not overseen or driven by a public sector worker safe in his bunker.

Could be fun, the Marxist overlord who won't let the car turn right, or the liberal one where the cars zig zag up the road and dither at junctions or the Trumptonian who just bulldozes straight on, totally ignoring public cries to follow the road signs!

Old 30 Jan 2017, 09:48 (Ref:3707725)   #350
bauble
Veteran

England
Midgetman, we must all club together and buy our own country, there must be plenty going cheap, and set up an Historic Government passing decrees allowing racing on public roads, no extraneous safety measures, and state sponsored races.

We will call it Utopia.

I will stand for the position of President, and receive overwhelming support to run the country as a true democratic dictatorship.

Bernie Bauble