Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 13 Mar 2007, 09:18 (Ref:1865411)   #1
TheMong
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants
TheMong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 TV coverage in the UK (merged)

Hi just wondering if anyone knows if the practice sessions are on n-tv i watched all of them last year after finding out u can buy a cheapy old reciever and dish but just looked thru the tv listings but couldnt see it and am already feeling giddy knowing i might not se it...and also why the hell cant itv4 show it there very busy itv4 sport that shows more episodes of poirot then any sport...what a joke anyway quite happy watching it on german n-tv if they still doing it...

Last edited by TheMong; 13 Mar 2007 at 09:20.
Old 30 Mar 2007, 13:03 (Ref:1879863)   #2
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TV: F1 in the UK (merged)

http://www.itv.com/news/index_858609...af08b2c19.html

EDIT: Article removed. Please do not post full articles, the link or source and highlighting the parts you think are most relevant to your point is sufficient. See FAQ. Thank you.

This is worrying for F1 fans because as we already knew ITV only cares about football so now they have FA cup matches to televise I can see Qualifying becoming a time delayed broadcast or hightlights package at midnight and F1 races being shown on digital channels so ITV can use ITV1 terrastrial channel to broadcast wall to wall football and coronation street.

I think we should be very concerned

Last edited by Adam43; 30 Mar 2007 at 13:48. Reason: Article removed. Please do not post full articles, the link or source and highlighting the parts you think are most relevant to your point is sufficient. See FAQ. Thank you.
Old 30 Mar 2007, 13:37 (Ref:1879879)   #3
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l
This is worrying for F1 fans because as we already knew ITV only cares about football so now they have FA cup matches to televise I can see Qualifying becoming a time delayed broadcast or hightlights package at midnight and F1 races being shown on digital channels so ITV can use ITV1 terrastrial channel to broadcast wall to wall football and coronation street.

I think we should be very concerned
Nothing to worry about, Bernie won't like F1 going to an exclusive Cable/Satellite provider because it simply doesn't reach enough people. To go that way is to take the High road to A1GP obscurity.

What is a serious possibility now is that F1 could go back to BBC, as after losing the Football bid they have a spare £300-£400 million burning a hole in their back pocket. Which would potentially be a good thing as it would bring an end to adverts interupting the race.

Last edited by Flat12-Aircool; 30 Mar 2007 at 13:40.
Old 30 Mar 2007, 14:25 (Ref:1879904)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
ITV are contracted for 12 games across the season (Setanta have 17).

The FA Cup is what 8 rounds of matches ?? of which only the last 2 or 3 are in the F1 season. With Saturday Evening (5.15) kick offs, and Sunday 4pm (or later) I really don't think it's an issue.

For the England international coverage? well it's a Saturday where I'm sure ITV can get at worst a 3pm slot ...they might even want use prime time slot so that shouldn't effect the F1 coverage either.
Old 30 Mar 2007, 21:11 (Ref:1880111)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Whats even more worrying is, ITV showed 140 hours worth of F1 in 2006, the USA showed between 150-170 hours and the Germans got 800 hours[*]

Talk about short changed in the UK

As for the footie, if it clashes, ITV will stick the F1 on either ITV 2, 3 or 4 and anyone without Sky is likely to lose out

[*] according to F1 racing mag
Old 30 Mar 2007, 21:51 (Ref:1880135)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
Whats even more worrying is, ITV showed 140 hours worth of F1 in 2006, the USA showed between 150-170 hours and the Germans got 800 hours[*]
I hope they don't show more F1 on ITV. Despite the excellent Steve Rider the non-race coverage is awful. Even now they have abandoned the Bev goes shopping items.
Old 30 Mar 2007, 23:17 (Ref:1880191)   #7
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, Steve has been very welcome addition to the ITV coverage in my book.

I do hope the Beeb have a crack at getting F1, as the BBC's sport coverage is getting ever more thin on the ground. And I'm pretty sure they'd do a good job of it this time around. And I'm pretty sure they'd have the common sense NOT to offer James Allen a contract
Old 31 Mar 2007, 04:08 (Ref:1880261)   #8
cmifsud
Racer

Australia
Australia
cmifsud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When does the ITV contract with FOM run out? Seriously though, I feel sorry for you ITV viewers, you miss so much action during the breaks. Here in Aus, because the races are nearly always on half hour - hour delay, Channel Ten stops the races (so to speak) during the ad breaks so we don't miss anything.
Old 31 Mar 2007, 08:30 (Ref:1880302)   #9
Racer_kyle
Racer

Northern Ireland
Edinburgh
Racer_kyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All the football they have is FA cup and Champions League. The cup is only on for about 6 saturdays in the year, and the CL is weekday evenings. Nothing to panic about folks!
Old 31 Mar 2007, 09:19 (Ref:1880321)   #10
Jon Lincoln
Rookie

Jon Lincoln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ITV had the FA Cup coverage a few years back but I don't think it ever clashed with their F1 coverage or caused any probs for us lot so I'm not too worried.
Old 31 Mar 2007, 09:54 (Ref:1880342)   #11
Paulc
Rookie

Paulc has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What ever became of Bernies F1 digital,never has there been more comprehensive coverage of F1 than what was offered there you could move the camera around from in car to the pits etc and everything was covered from warm up to all qualifying,great stuff for f1 fans.
Old 31 Mar 2007, 10:28 (Ref:1880357)   #12
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do believe it wasn't profitable, so it was canned
Old 31 Mar 2007, 11:19 (Ref:1880375)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I got hold of some Premiere (German coverage) of the Australia practice sessions. That is how F1 should be televised.

It is still digital over there of course.

We in the UK will always get a raw deal whilst terrestrial TV has anything to do with it. ITV should be banned and people should have to pay a small sum for the privilege of a new F1 Digital.
Old 31 Mar 2007, 18:36 (Ref:1880603)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
I hope they don't show more F1 on ITV. Despite the excellent Steve Rider the non-race coverage is awful. Even now they have abandoned the Bev goes shopping items.
Well, my point isn't that ITV should show more, it's just that we could get so much more.

Sky in 2002 was great. F1 on tap if you like, with the choice of 6-8 channels, shame it was such a dull season.
Old 31 Mar 2007, 18:59 (Ref:1880618)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, I see and agree. I was just being negative towards ITV as normal
Old 31 Mar 2007, 19:05 (Ref:1880624)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Negativity breeds, err, ITV.

V, did you not find the 2002 season more interesting via Digital? The few races I caught on it were great I thought, but probably seemed dull on the terrestrial feed.

It was bad that Digital was launched in that season though. The negative publicity was a bit overwhelming really. A year to forget.
Old 1 Apr 2007, 09:40 (Ref:1880963)   #17
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ITV won't have the FA Cup action for long, because they seriously screwed up their Premiership coverage.

Nothing to worry about I don't think. If ITV started to lose F1 viewers I'm sure Bernie would have words.
Old 1 Apr 2007, 10:46 (Ref:1880995)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

The Premiership coverage bombed because it was a pointless highlights package.

They will do well to screw up live FA Cup football (hint: they won't).

But there are ways around this and I doubt F1 will be affected much.
Old 2 Apr 2007, 14:22 (Ref:1881997)   #19
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I do believe it wasn't profitable, so it was canned
Bernie would do well to remember the fact that hardly anyone already had digital in 2002 though, whereas now that far more people do, subscribing will be easier and they'd be more likely to go for it.
Old 2 Apr 2007, 17:41 (Ref:1882134)   #20
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they don't cover the lower rounds, there will be problems. The Beeb I think does a very good job with FA Cup games and England home internationals.

If iTV were to cast the F1 coverage aside, it would sum up their attitude to motorsport perfectly.
Old 5 Apr 2007, 14:21 (Ref:1884172)   #21
Zsolt Tomalski
Rookie

Zsolt Tomalski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's on DSF, right?
Old 5 Apr 2007, 14:33 (Ref:1884186)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

It is on ITV4 at 6:30am if my Sky EPG is to be believed.
Old 5 Apr 2007, 14:48 (Ref:1884203)   #23
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
My Sky+ EPG doesn't list it?
Old 5 Apr 2007, 15:02 (Ref:1884214)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Argh, forget what I said. I'm on about qualifying, not practice.

I need to get a grip!
Old 5 Apr 2007, 15:19 (Ref:1884227)   #25
Zsolt Tomalski
Rookie

Zsolt Tomalski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So who's showing practice live, anyone?

All I can find is 10.30-12.30 tomorrow morning on DSF, highlights of the 2 sessions I think.