Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Mar 2009, 08:29 (Ref:2424245)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
FPR to 4 cars in 2010??

With the discussions in the motorsport press recently suggesting that FPR are allegedly working through the feasibility of expanding to 4 cars in 2010, a number of interesting questions are raised.

If you were to think about the 4 car thing, the main rivals in the Ford camp in SBR have 3 cars up (soon to be 4 ), while 888 (even though they are not Fords... ) have 5, possibly soon to be 7.

While in Holden land, Team Kelly has 4 cars, Walkinshaw Performance has had 4 cars for yonks, and supplies cars to 3 others, and engines to 2 more past that.

So we have an era of mega teams... where the big boys stay the big boys, and the smaller units fight for the crumbs from the bigger teams.

What was interesting in the AA coverage of Adelaide this week was the suggestion that Mr Lacroix examined the crashed Courtney car for DJR to help determine if it was fixable...

Anyhow, back to FPR.

Conceptually Mr Lowndes is a free agent at the end of the 2009 season. Arguably he wishes to remain loyal to Ford, and probably want to retain a Ford contract.

FPR will need 2 additional 2010 Racing Entitlement Contracts to run 2 additional cars.

Who has an additional 2009/10 Racing Entitlement Contract currently on lease elsewhere for this season I wonder?

Could a theoretical line up look like:

#5 - Orrcon - Mark Winterbottom
#6 - Castrol - Steven Richards
#25 - Fujitsu - Jason Bright
#26 - Caterpillar - Craig Lowndes

The cost of running a super team like the one above would be enormous... in drivers salaries, in spare cars, in equipment, in engineering staff...

Could it be done? Of course. Does it make sense to do it? Hmmm....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 25 Mar 2009, 08:58 (Ref:2424272)   #2
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How long does Mr Bright have a contract with SBRE?
Old 25 Mar 2009, 09:06 (Ref:2424276)   #3
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
With the discussions in the motorsport press recently suggesting that FPR are allegedly working through the feasibility of expanding to 4 cars in 2010, a number of interesting questions are raised.

If you were to think about the 4 car thing, the main rivals in the Ford camp in SBR have 3 cars up (soon to be 4 ), while 888 (even though they are not Fords... ) have 5, possibly soon to be 7.

While in Holden land, Team Kelly has 4 cars, Walkinshaw Performance has had 4 cars for yonks, and supplies cars to 3 others, and engines to 2 more past that.

So we have an era of mega teams... where the big boys stay the big boys, and the smaller units fight for the crumbs from the bigger teams.

What was interesting in the AA coverage of Adelaide this week was the suggestion that Mr Lacroix examined the crashed Courtney car for DJR to help determine if it was fixable...

Anyhow, back to FPR.

Conceptually Mr Lowndes is a free agent at the end of the 2009 season. Arguably he wishes to remain loyal to Ford, and probably want to retain a Ford contract.

FPR will need 2 additional 2010 Racing Entitlement Contracts to run 2 additional cars.

Who has an additional 2009/10 Racing Entitlement Contract currently on lease elsewhere for this season I wonder?

Could a theoretical line up look like:

#5 - Orrcon - Mark Winterbottom
#6 - Castrol - Steven Richards
#25 - Fujitsu - Jason Bright
#26 - Caterpillar - Craig Lowndes

The cost of running a super team like the one above would be enormous... in drivers salaries, in spare cars, in equipment, in engineering staff...

Could it be done? Of course. Does it make sense to do it? Hmmm....
do you see major sponsors and others wanting to tip money as the economy sinks even further.general feeling I've been getting banking areas is that the economy will stay crook well into 2011.
Old 25 Mar 2009, 11:50 (Ref:2424379)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bailey View Post
do you see major sponsors and others wanting to tip money as the economy sinks even further.general feeling I've been getting banking areas is that the economy will stay crook well into 2011.
What do you do if you are contractually obligated to support some of these motorsport contracts? Generally speaking, the leverage programs are the first impacted... the hospitality, the advertising..

The current economy is dreadful, while there are pockets of optimism in maintaining revenue, the issue is the quality of the revenue, as to whether sales are being bought through lower prices, and/or demand brought forward from these lower prices. Margin suffers, and the pipeline slows to a trickle.

While a marketer decries about brand values when price falls.. the issue is larger when the whole market is in freefall...

There are a lot of distressed mortgages out there in the 'burbs, one of the telltale signs will be crowd attendance at sporting events... Adelaide was down in numbers... which may not bode well for this year in the other state markets.

Caterpillar have allegedly made it known that they wanted a full car signage position in 2009. This was going to be the magical 3rd FPR car for Mr Courtney, allegedly funded as the previous Lowndes FPR car was funded, in a combination of factory (CAT) and dealer (Westrac) monies.

It helps having a network chairman (Mr Stokes) as a fan of V8Supercar, and also the beneficial owner of Westrac....

While mining has definitely slowed in the commodity price freefall of late, and some uneconomic mines are reviewed and mothballed, until prices return to profit making levels... it appears Caterpillar isnt suffering as badly in this market as may have been expected. Especially since Westrac is also the Cat agent in China...

Fujitsu is allegedly contracted to Britek until June 2010. What happens after that would be interesting. Half a budget is better than no budget... but if the deal is like the current FPR one, where the brand is shown across each of the FPR cars... the opportunity may present more favourably than not.

Peripherals may reduce however, like the sponsorship of the development series and/or participation of a Fujitsu-funded team(s) in that category.

All absolutely hypothetical of course... but it is interesting after all....
Old 25 Mar 2009, 20:54 (Ref:2424743)   #5
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What do you do if you are contractually obligated to support some of these motorsport contracts? Generally speaking, the leverage programs are the first impacted... the hospitality, the advertising..

The current economy is dreadful, while there are pockets of optimism in maintaining revenue, the issue is the quality of the revenue, as to whether sales are being bought through lower prices, and/or demand brought forward from these lower prices. Margin suffers, and the pipeline slows to a trickle.

While a marketer decries about brand values when price falls.. the issue is larger when the whole market is in freefall...

There are a lot of distressed mortgages out there in the 'burbs, one of the telltale signs will be crowd attendance at sporting events... Adelaide was down in numbers... which may not bode well for this year in the other state markets.

Caterpillar have allegedly made it known that they wanted a full car signage position in 2009. This was going to be the magical 3rd FPR car for Mr Courtney, allegedly funded as the previous Lowndes FPR car was funded, in a combination of factory (CAT) and dealer (Westrac) monies.

It helps having a network chairman (Mr Stokes) as a fan of V8Supercar, and also the beneficial owner of Westrac....

While mining has definitely slowed in the commodity price freefall of late, and some uneconomic mines are reviewed and mothballed, until prices return to profit making levels... it appears Caterpillar isnt suffering as badly in this market as may have been expected. Especially since Westrac is also the Cat agent in China...

Fujitsu is allegedly contracted to Britek until June 2010. What happens after that would be interesting. Half a budget is better than no budget... but if the deal is like the current FPR one, where the brand is shown across each of the FPR cars... the opportunity may present more favourably than not.

Peripherals may reduce however, like the sponsorship of the development series and/or participation of a Fujitsu-funded team(s) in that category.

All absolutely hypothetical of course... but it is interesting after all....
how much were the crowd numbers down?
Old 25 Mar 2009, 22:01 (Ref:2424790)   #6
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm quite sure that Lowndes remembers that a CAT FPR Ford is a bucket of rust, and would not be keen to drive for their second team in such colours....

They are still only competitive at some tracks, unlike 888.

A Lowndes/Seton line-up should have been front runners as the fans expected, it's not like the drivers were the problem.
Old 25 Mar 2009, 23:18 (Ref:2424867)   #7
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If last week's form is anything to go by FPR struggle to run 2 cars let alone 4...
Old 25 Mar 2009, 23:30 (Ref:2424875)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
how much were the crowd numbers down?
18,000 odd out of 270,000 odd... enough to notice the difference
Old 26 Mar 2009, 01:12 (Ref:2424925)   #9
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
SBR with 4 cars?? Interesting....
Old 26 Mar 2009, 03:35 (Ref:2424965)   #10
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Quote:
18,000 odd out of 270,000 odd... enough to notice the difference
still a great number.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 09:02 (Ref:2425088)   #11
dcr44S
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
dcr44S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinwebbers View Post
If last week's form is anything to go by FPR struggle to run 2 cars let alone 4...
Took the words right out of my mouth, some of their strategic faux pas in the past few seasons have really cost them and I think the real difference is that Frosty can't handle the pressure as well as Whincup.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 22:09 (Ref:2425596)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The plans out in the paddock suggest FPR could become a 3 car team by Winton time....
Old 26 Mar 2009, 23:14 (Ref:2425643)   #13
Bimmerhead
Racer

Bimmerhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
still a great number.
Depends how you count attendance. I'd be prepared to bet that V8SA counts every ticket holder every time they come and go. A far more realistic number would the number of tickets actually sold.......
Old 26 Mar 2009, 23:35 (Ref:2425655)   #14
EBXR8
Veteran

Australia
Australia
EBXR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The plans out in the paddock suggest FPR could become a 3 car team by Winton time....
How?? Sources???
Old 27 Mar 2009, 01:19 (Ref:2425719)   #15
Holly Wood
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
Holly Wood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny how FPR have one bad weekend and all of a sudden everyone is saying they're useless....

If Frosty had been 2mm less hungry in his Adelaide shoot out lap, he'd have started on the front row... at a track that doesn't suit him or the FPR cars at all. Jesus, you guys are harsh.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 08:37 (Ref:2425928)   #16
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
madman16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Wood View Post
Funny how FPR have one bad weekend and all of a sudden everyone is saying they're useless....

If Frosty had been 2mm less hungry in his Adelaide shoot out lap, he'd have started on the front row... at a track that doesn't suit him or the FPR cars at all. Jesus, you guys are harsh.
And if Holdsworth was 2mm less hungry he would've been on the front row as his time was still quicker than Frosty's. Point is they were and GRM still made something of the weekend and FPR didn't.

Have a look over the past couple of seasons and compare the results of the 2 fpr cars. It seems if someone doesn't qualify that well they just forget him for the weekend and concentrate on the lead car. How many times has Richo gotten the dodgy pitstop or stategy compared to Frosty.

888 still bring both cars towards the front even if one didn't start well. FPR will be good on occasions this year again but won't challenge for a title. And Frosty talks the talk better than he walks the walk
Old 27 Mar 2009, 09:08 (Ref:2425956)   #17
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Who will be the driver GTR???
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 27 Mar 2009, 13:47 (Ref:2426136)   #18
Holly Wood
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman16 View Post
And if Holdsworth was 2mm less hungry he would've been on the front row as his time was still quicker than Frosty's. Point is they were and GRM still made something of the weekend and FPR didn't.
No, I think the point is that FPR are being judged on ONE bad weekend, that's the attitude I was responding to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman16 View Post
FPR will be good on occasions this year again but won't challenge for a title. And Frosty talks the talk better than he walks the walk
Oh really? Just for chuckles, care to write a list of drivers you think have a better chance of winning the title this year than Winterbottom? I'll even start it for you...

1. J.Whincup

Your turn...
Old 27 Mar 2009, 14:01 (Ref:2426149)   #19
Muznik
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast
Muznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMuznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who will be the driver GTR???

C'mon HAS to be Mark Skaife !

Oh really? Just for chuckles, care to write a list of drivers you think have a better chance of winning the title this year than Winterbottom? I'll even start it for you...

1. J.Whincup

Your turn...

2. W Davison
3. C Lowndes
Old 27 Mar 2009, 14:38 (Ref:2426173)   #20
Holly Wood
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
The way Winterbottom drove away from Davison today puts that into serious question Muznik, but I won't be silly enough to judge anyone's chances from one weekend alone.

Still, even if he comes fourth as you predict, I'd still call that 'challenging for the title'.

Time will tell hey...
Old 28 Mar 2009, 01:09 (Ref:2426554)   #21
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Wood View Post
No, I think the point is that FPR are being judged on ONE bad weekend, that's the attitude I was responding to.

1. J.Whincup

Your turn...
2. W. Davison
3. G. Tander
4. Even though he won't win it all either C. Lowndes
5. Now Frosty

Just my opinion. I hope for the championships sake i'm wrong and there will be more challengers but i just don't see it
Old 28 Mar 2009, 08:48 (Ref:2426890)   #22
PhaseIII
Racer

Australia
In a Land Down Under
PhaseIII should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So... let me get this correct...
Your saying that Frosty is 5th in a list of those with a better chance than Frosty of winning the title ?????
What The.....????

Last edited by PhaseIII; 28 Mar 2009 at 08:50. Reason: typo
Old 28 Mar 2009, 23:35 (Ref:2427442)   #23
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
Did i stutter???
Old 31 Mar 2009, 01:22 (Ref:2429476)   #24
EBXR8
Veteran

Australia
Australia
EBXR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where will FPR pull the 3rd liscense from??? By Winton????
Old 31 Mar 2009, 06:14 (Ref:2429516)   #25
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBXR8 View Post
Where will FPR pull the 3rd liscense from??? By Winton????
I was thinking the same thing, but then I thought that there may be a team that is about to go under and the license could be acquired from the wash-up from that.

Now let me think, which team has the most creditors knocking on its front door at the moment…

As for the driver of the third FPR Ford Falcon, this headline made my heart beat quickly for a couple of seconds!!!!

Webber defects to Ford : http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25758A000AC466