Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 May 2009, 09:07 (Ref:2459888)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
888 to become HRT???????

According to tonights Motorsport eNews, it is discussed that Walkinshaw Performance is not likely to continue operating the official Factory Holden racing team...

.. and that discussions are a long way down the road with 888 to become the 4 car official Factory Holden racing team.

The article also suggests that Holden currently throws $10m a season down the throat of HRT to operate it each season... and is looking for a cost save...

... what better way to achieve it than support a team already strong with commercial backing... and a very strong customer base.

Drag a couple of customers along with them into the megateam suggested by PCR... and there is a 4 car factory team!

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 11 May 2009, 09:15 (Ref:2459897)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
thats out early
Old 11 May 2009, 09:36 (Ref:2459917)   #3
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
it would seem lasts years signature was a year out

not the first time HRT have purchased the no "1"
Old 11 May 2009, 09:57 (Ref:2459930)   #4
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can't see it happening. Walkinshaw's links with Holden (via HSV) are way too strong to sideline his team.

What's more believable is for Holden to offer a deal to 888 and thus make HRT and 888 the only two teams that get factory funding (just like Ford did).
Old 11 May 2009, 10:00 (Ref:2459933)   #5
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Geez, where will half the Fords get their chassis from if this happens?
Old 11 May 2009, 10:03 (Ref:2459936)   #6
dcr44S
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
dcr44S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's ironic that there would then be even less Fords on the grid if all the T8 cars became Holden i.e. 2 x TERE, 2 x DJR (will probably never happen), 2 x PCR and 1 x Intaracing leaving only FPR and SBR in blue oval seats.

Would nearly be a one make championship!

I'd be disappointed to see T8 move to the dark side and I'd be caught between two stools in that I'm a Ford man through and through but a big fan of JW.

Will just have to wait and see what happens.

I can only assume that Holden's $$$$ would be more beneficial to T8 than the money they've already spent developing the FG.
Old 11 May 2009, 10:05 (Ref:2459937)   #7
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of course all this conjecture pre-supposes that Holden will actually be in a financial position to offer 888 large $'s.

And at the moment, that's by no means certain........
Old 11 May 2009, 10:10 (Ref:2459940)   #8
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Under this theory would Walkinshaw continue to run his racing operation using just the HSV branding, considering he owns that business? (or at least a decent sized chunk of it!)
Old 11 May 2009, 10:21 (Ref:2459949)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I always thought Mr Moffat was a shrewd politician, back in the days of Mazda and the peripheral ported 12A, then 13B then 13B with EFI....

... but maybe this takes the cake.

If you imagine a scenario where 888 still thinks it can extract funding from Ford... leaking a discussion that may or may not have taken place, that happened with the running of the factory Holden operation... you would have to wonder as to the intentions of what was going on

We havent seen anything leak from Mr Dane's enclave since he has been in the series, so it seems funny that this has appeared in the press now. Mr Phelps will lap it up.. probably front page stuff in tomorrow's Telegraph.

But imagine if the Ford people think a move might be serious?

Would they come and offer 888 a sweetener so they didnt switch to Holden? That couple of million dollars that was taken away at the end of last year...

At the moment, Ford are getting the benefit of 888 winning races for no outlay to that team... maybe this is the lever 888 shall use to get the Ford factory funding back

A shrewd play... but only of the Ford end of the deal actually comes to the party.

Its not hard to consider that the current 888 'Ford' chassis could be relocated to customers reasonably easily, or that an Aurora engine program couldnt be set up...

Is this real, or is this posturing? We shall let the media decide I guess!
Old 11 May 2009, 10:23 (Ref:2459951)   #10
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
According to tonights Motorsport eNews, it is discussed that Walkinshaw Performance is not likely to continue operating the official Factory Holden racing team...

.. and that discussions are a long way down the road with 888 to become the 4 car official Factory Holden racing team.

The article also suggests that Holden currently throws $10m a season down the throat of HRT to operate it each season... and is looking for a cost save...

... what better way to achieve it than support a team already strong with commercial backing... and a very strong customer base.

Drag a couple of customers along with them into the megateam suggested by PCR... and there is a 4 car factory team!

Every business is for sale , just depending on the price and the buyer agreeing to terms. So it is possible
Old 11 May 2009, 10:26 (Ref:2459955)   #11
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombles1 View Post
Under this theory would Walkinshaw continue to run his racing operation using just the HSV branding, considering he owns that business? (or at least a decent sized chunk of it!)
that is correct, Uncle Tom owns HSV, separate from TWR, HRT etc, he may well end up as sponsor or do a PB and start up a chain of stores/distributors, (The Brock Shop), HSV Performance Store.

Crystal ball gazing
Old 11 May 2009, 10:40 (Ref:2459965)   #12
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HSV to take over naming rights on current HRT licences, seems pretty decent but who will drive, Steve Owen surely would have to be a top candidate as for the other car?????

IMO i can't really see it happening but most of the time where there is smoke there is fire.

if this were to happen from a holden fans stand point awesome, it would be great to have what is currently the best team in Holdens. from a motorsport fan surely they would have to get a couple more Ford's on the grid to even it up, there is already more Holden's.
Old 11 May 2009, 10:42 (Ref:2459967)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
It would be awesome from a Ford perspective if 888 goes to Holden. The Ford teams could argue parity concerns with the 888 equipment, as they would then be Holden, and the cars would be reconfigured to balance their performance....
Old 11 May 2009, 10:42 (Ref:2459968)   #14
kiwi20
Racer

New Zealand
kiwi20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will kill V8supercars if it happened.
Old 11 May 2009, 10:43 (Ref:2459969)   #15
Also a Believer
Veteran

Also a Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Vodaphone only fronting with enough coin for one car next season anything is likely. Although wait for the new adds from Mr Lowndes and his 5 year deal with a once departed tool company. If anything I hear is factual.
Old 11 May 2009, 11:09 (Ref:2459987)   #16
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If 888 leave Ford, then if should be for a new manufacturer.
Old 11 May 2009, 11:12 (Ref:2459991)   #17
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there another game being played by Holden here?
Old 11 May 2009, 11:20 (Ref:2459996)   #18
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting if this happened.. among other things, Mr Lowndes would be back at a factory holden team. I remember him saying he would not likely see himself do that again. He also said to "never say never"

Assuming this has some credibility, and assuming it does happen, is it any guarantee that triple 8 would be successful if they went to a holden chassis?
Old 11 May 2009, 11:41 (Ref:2460011)   #19
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
just wondering if Walky owns the current HRT licences and with 888 possibly running 4 cars where would the extra 2 licences come from?

just thinking abit it's already outnumbered 18-12 Holdens way on the grid, reduce Ford by 2 to 10 and increase Holden to 20, so it would be atleast 20-10 infavour of Holden thats double the ammount, which IMO would suck it needs to be no more then what it currently is & really should be closer.

also i worry about domination, i know it's happening now but throw possible 4 cars and 4 top drivers plus Holden $ and it would be worse IMO, while i would be happier Holdens winning it i would still get bored if it was all the time, you would imagine WR would still be strong even if behind the 888 cars.

even if it's just the 2 current 888 cars and GT & William stay at WR, then it's still almost guaranteed a Holden wins, if the 2 888 cars fail the 2 WR cars would be there to take glory.

factoring all this into it and the more i think about it the more i don't want the change.

i can foresee a silly season thread comming up. don't worry i won't start it.
Old 11 May 2009, 12:11 (Ref:2460042)   #20
krypto71
Racer

krypto71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a pity the racing isn't quite this exciting.

I'm not sure if Ford would be throwing any money to keep 888 blue. If winning the championship last year for ford wasn't enough to show 888 some love, not sure what would.
Old 11 May 2009, 12:20 (Ref:2460056)   #21
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
if this does happen, i would like VESA to throw 2 extra licences out there expanding back to a 32 car grid to FPR (as Dave Richards and the Prodrive gang have been saying they want 4 cars) or to a new team cheaply but condition is you have to run Ford. atleast that would keep Ford numbers where they are now.
Old 11 May 2009, 12:36 (Ref:2460074)   #22
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi20 View Post
Absolutely agree.
I thought I read somewhere that Vodafone's contract with T8 would end at the end of 2009. I also recall reading that a deal for 2010 wouldn't be likely.
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 11 May 2009, 12:41 (Ref:2460078)   #23
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this may be a mix up

http://www.tripleeight.co.uk/press/?storyId=395&Id=3

Quote:
Ian Harrison, Triple Eight's Managing Director said
“Everything comes to an end at one time or another, and our 13 year partnership with Vauxhall is now drawing to a close. We have provided a platform that has helped Vauxhall evolve into General Motor's biggest market in Europe, whilst allowing them to promote their VXR brand and become the most successful British Touring Car team in the in recent years.

“It is not the end of Triple Eight though, far from it. We will be back next season, albeit in a different guise, still doing what we do best: Winning races and promoting our partners and sponsors products in the very best possible way."
Old 11 May 2009, 22:44 (Ref:2460492)   #24
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
Interesting if this happened.. among other things, Mr Lowndes would be back at a factory holden team. I remember him saying he would not likely see himself do that again. He also said to "never say never"
Could he become one of the 4 drivers at FPR to remain at Ford, mate?
Old 11 May 2009, 23:06 (Ref:2460503)   #25
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi20 View Post

#1 (22) Vodafone Holden Racing Team - Jamie Whincup (888/Perkins) - Holden Commodore VE
#2 Vodafone Holden Racing Team - Craig Lowndes (888/Perkins) - Holden Commodore VE

Seems plausible. Vodafone could make a smaller spend, take the places of Mobil and HSV on the car. All it takes is a couple of new chassis (mostly the same running gear) and some engines from somewhere, and 888 will merrily take the $x m for their bank account. WP would happily swap the famous HRT numbers over of course.

(#427 Toll HSV Dealer Team - Will Davison - Holden Commodore VE)
#50 Toll HSV Dealer Team - Garth Tander - Holden Commdoore VE)