Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Jun 2012, 08:45 (Ref:3084277)   #51
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
Which gearbox failure? They ended up using the prototype one, was not a isolated failure amongst the teams.
Who said it was "not a isolated failure amongst the teams"? I don't get your point.

Jonny didn't finished the 2nd race for the weekend because of a gearbox failure of some sort. So the box was replaced. And that DNF cost him the Sprint Championship did it not Blackpearl?
Old 3 Jun 2012, 08:54 (Ref:3084286)   #52
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
Who said it was "not a isolated failure amongst the teams"? I don't get your point.
I think the point is that there were so many gearbox failures across the field that they even used the one from the protoype in someones car,
yet some teams were forced to use known suspect gearboxes in the last race as there were no more available.
Old 3 Jun 2012, 09:32 (Ref:3084323)   #53
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX20VT View Post
I think the point is that there were so many gearbox failures across the field that they even used the one from the protoype in someones car,
yet some teams were forced to use known suspect gearboxes in the last race as there were no more available.
Correct. Reid used the prototypes gearbox.
Old 3 Jun 2012, 11:27 (Ref:3084418)   #54
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Can anyone tell me why the counter for the next race is at 204 days on the ST website? That means nothing until January roughly...
Old 3 Jun 2012, 13:08 (Ref:3084464)   #55
DX20VT
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Can anyone tell me why the counter for the next race is at 204 days on the ST website? That means nothing until January roughly...
Maybe the same reason the site says
the next round is on September TBA at TBA track.???

Although I think I heard on the TV today it is at Taupo??
Old 3 Jun 2012, 19:46 (Ref:3084698)   #56
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Jerico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Maybe the same reason the site says
the next round is on September TBA at TBA track.???

Although I think I heard on the TV today it is at Taupo??
I am not 100% sure if I herd Johnny Mac correctly, but I think he said he would see us in Taupo. I do remember clearly that he stated the 1st and 2nd of September.
Old 3 Jun 2012, 21:58 (Ref:3084775)   #57
Racer Mike
Racer

New Zealand
Racer Mike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not much of a tarmac fan but that racing yesterday was quite something. I spoke to a mate last night who was there and a fair bit of conjecture between teams with Johnny Mac getting his points back from his tech exclusion in Ch Ch. Jonny Reid and International motorsport very unhappy.
Old 4 Jun 2012, 02:48 (Ref:3084869)   #58
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just had a chance to sit down and watch the telecast of the weekends racing, and i've gotta give a big thumbs up to TV3, I know that they get some grief over the Supercar stuff, but the V8ST Telecast from this weekend is probably the best i've seen from a NZ based motorsport event. The amount of in-car footage, the graphics package and especially the in-car stuff from Boothy all culminated in a superb piece of TV, nice work TV3!
Old 4 Jun 2012, 03:14 (Ref:3084870)   #59
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.nzmotorracing.co.nz/frust...-for-reid.html

... Reid, understandably, was not happy.

"The gearbox problems I can take," he said. 'These things happen and I want to stress how proud I am of the way the guys in the team responded to them, particularly when there was so little time between the second and third races. They really put their hearts into getting the car ready and for that I am very grateful. What I am really disappointed about is the decision to give John (McIntyre) his points back. As far as I was aware it was black and white. Then to find out, not in any official way either, and on Saturday morning...if nothing else I'd still like someone to explain to me why the original decision was overturned."

Me too.
Didn't he admit they had stuffed up? I thought rules was rules
Old 4 Jun 2012, 03:15 (Ref:3084872)   #60
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I would agree entirely. I went to Hampton both days and also watched my MySky recording today. This weekend had the best racing I've seen in quite a while, I think the best of the four ST rounds, and the TV coverage showed me all the bits I missed at the track (which is usually the case).
Old 4 Jun 2012, 03:41 (Ref:3084876)   #61
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
Just had a chance to sit down and watch the telecast of the weekends racing, and i've gotta give a big thumbs up to TV3, I know that they get some grief over the Supercar stuff, but the V8ST Telecast from this weekend is probably the best i've seen from a NZ based motorsport event. The amount of in-car footage, the graphics package and especially the in-car stuff from Boothy all culminated in a superb piece of TV, nice work TV3!
I had a look online but couldn't find it. Can someone point me in the right direction please
Old 4 Jun 2012, 05:23 (Ref:3084895)   #62
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
http://www.nzmotorracing.co.nz/frust...-for-reid.html

... Reid, understandably, was not happy.

"...... What I am really disappointed about is the decision to give John (McIntyre) his points back. As far as I was aware it was black and white. Then to find out, not in any official way either, and on Saturday morning...if nothing else I'd still like someone to explain to me why the original decision was overturned."

Me too.
Didn't he admit they had stuffed up? I thought rules was rules
I too wondered why no other team had queried the decision until I remembered that they are playing in their own game, with their own rules and processes.
Old 4 Jun 2012, 05:35 (Ref:3084902)   #63
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
I too wondered why no other team had queried the decision until I remembered that they are playing in their own game, with their own rules and processes.
Exactly...this scenario was always possible with an interesting judicial system at play with so many multi interested parties.....
However...gotta say was some of the best v8 racing i have seen on these shores for many years....some great passing moves and generally clean and just good hard racing....
Old 4 Jun 2012, 06:45 (Ref:3084916)   #64
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad to hear you enjoyed it harcey. I went down for all three days and i must say that the racing this weekend was better than what we see most of the time with the Supercars.......you just can't predict anything with this series. I hate to say it, but the turnout for day 1 was dissapointing and maybe this highlights the fact that putting on an event over a long weekend is not a good formula. But then sunday was right up there (numbers wise) and the racing was exciting with lots of passes and aggression shown by all drivers. Big ups to Scott in the #93 car, he slayed the field this weekend, and i am glad that MPC have got some good results, especially after manfield and the rumours that they were going to pull out of the series.

My biggest highlight though was the TV3 coverage. Just fantastic and the radio link with Boothy was spot on, and the in-car coverage just gets better and better each event. The newish commentators were really good too and gave it that kiwi feel (no disrespect to Chris Jewell).

I think we can all agree that the class is showing some very good potential for this formula style racing, awesome cars that go like cut-cats, professional looking teams, and the TV package to boot. well done to all involved
Old 4 Jun 2012, 20:00 (Ref:3085255)   #65
MrFBear
Rookie

MrFBear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
I had a look online but couldn't find it. Can someone point me in the right direction please
Full coverage will be OnDemand later this morning, just waiting for the webguy to get in to upload it to our TV3 website - not geofiltered so can be watched worldwide.

In the meantime here is Manfeild: http://ondemand.tv3.co.nz/Motorsport...2/Default.aspx

Last edited by MrFBear; 4 Jun 2012 at 20:01. Reason: Typo correction
Old 4 Jun 2012, 23:20 (Ref:3085368)   #66
BackSeat Driver
Racer

BackSeat Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone find any reports or documentation as to how Jmac got his points back? I have found information about the loss of points but nothing about its reversal?
Old 5 Jun 2012, 06:07 (Ref:3085440)   #67
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
Well yes. But if they were to follow their own processes...
Old 5 Jun 2012, 11:10 (Ref:3085551)   #68
Blackpearl
Racer

Can't have the ego man sad, holinger gearboxes, know of one team that won't do the long distance races with the current boxes.

Many more aren't happy with them either.
Old 5 Jun 2012, 11:28 (Ref:3085557)   #69
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
Can't have the ego man sad, holinger gearboxes, know of one team that won't do the long distance races with the current boxes.

Many more aren't happy with them either.
any idea why they are failing?
Hollinger always had a good name for building a solid box. have they succumed to outsourcing some of the manufacturing to "cheaper" countries??
Old 5 Jun 2012, 11:35 (Ref:3085560)   #70
DX20VT
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post
Hollinger always had a good name for building a solid box. have they succumed to outsourcing some of the manufacturing to "cheaper" countries??
The boxes in the cars are not hollengers.
The boxes they used are about 2/3 the cost I think?

But when you need 3 or 4 a season are they cheaper????
False economy

Same with the engines,
when you have to replace the whole engine after 2 rounds as the valve springs go soft and they loose power,
but you are not allowed to just replace valve springs, you need to buy a whole new engine......

I think the poster above is saying they need to put hollengers in them.
Old 5 Jun 2012, 11:48 (Ref:3085565)   #71
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The boxes in the cars are not hollengers.
The boxes they used are about 2/3 the cost I think?

But when you need 3 or 4 a season are they cheaper????
False economy

Same with the engines,
when you have to replace the whole engine after 2 rounds as the valve springs go soft and they loose power,
but you are not allowed to just replace valve springs, you need to buy a whole new engine......

I think the poster above is saying they need to put hollengers in them.
true, as quoted by the man himself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
The new Heavy Duty Quaife QBE69G retails for GB$6,595 about A$10,000, so its nearly half the price of the Hollinger. It is also a true sequential transmission, unlike the Holinger which is a converted H pattern rail transmission.

The QBE69G is designed to handle 750 BHP and 600 ftlbs of torque.

We spent some time evaluating this transmission including talking to owners of Dodge Vipers in the USA, some of them running well in excess of 750 BHP.

Mark Petch.
V8 SUPERTOURERS.

so basically Mark reckoned because the Quaife unit is a "true" sequential box, is was better suited to the application over using the Hollinger, which would have required a longer lead time to produce the required units.
Old 5 Jun 2012, 22:07 (Ref:3085932)   #72
Martin Collins
Rookie

New Zealand
Hampton Downs
Martin Collins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Hollinger is by far the better box, better to make the move earlier rather than later and save money long term. Regardless of the horsepower the Quaife maybe able to take it is obviously unreliable and there seems little point in staying with it.
My experience with Hollinger has always been that they supply a great product with excellent support and even if it is still a "bolt on" sequential system it is better than what they have currently.
How often do V8SC have box failures, they just don't any more.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 00:10 (Ref:3085994)   #73
Fairlane GTA
Rookie

New Zealand
Parnell
Fairlane GTA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The current Holinger RD6S is a sequential box, there may have been some confusion with the older H6S sequential conversion.

Last edited by Fairlane GTA; 6 Jun 2012 at 00:24.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 06:25 (Ref:3086065)   #74
Blackpearl
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post
Yea sorry, I didn't word that right. Hollinger is what most want in the cars as the current units are a false economy, might be cheaper to buy but the upkeep of them is expensive.
Old 6 Jun 2012, 08:12 (Ref:3086095)   #75
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
I imagine Quaife might be getting a 'please explain' call.
One presumes that is was made VERY clear what the application was.

After years of budget sillyness costing a fortune in the old class I think MP would have asked the right questions at the time.

Brembo got it right.
Quaife got it wrong.